Rant Is anyone else annoyed that Netflix is raising their prices again?

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

LikeLinus

Lifer
Jul 25, 2001
I am just north of Toronto.

I have posted this before...
As noted, elite was a joke. That said, I was in Toronto in 2009, I think? Nice city as well, but I really enjoy Québec City and Montreal. Nothing against Toronto, but it's more like a Chicago or New York.

All of that said, Canada (except the cold places!, lol) is very nice from what I've seen.

EDIT: Question, I was supposed to go out to western Canada last year and they wanted to take me to a huge stampede. What the heck is the name of it and is it worth it?? It didn't happen because It was actually a meeting place and then we had to take a private helicopter to the Arctic, but things fell though. I really wanted to go, but it may happen in a year or two.

Last edited:

sdifox

No Lifer
Sep 30, 2005
As noted, elite was a joke. That said, I was in Toronto in 2009, I think? Nice city as well, but I really enjoy Québec City and Montreal. Nothing against Toronto, but it's more like a Chicago or New York.

All of that said, Canada (except the cold places!, lol) is very nice from what I've seen.

Canada is cold lol. Montreal is pretty cool.

LikeLinus

Lifer
Jul 25, 2001
Canada is cold lol. Montreal is pretty cool.
No kidding. My cold and my wife's cold are completely different. On one work trip, I went to the UK, forgot my coat and was fine. Enough said :D. I actually ended up buying this trendy ass coat in Paris and I felt like I was a walking Depeche Mode video the entire time. I love the cold though and have told my wife many times that I'm from the UK (last name is the same as a town) and I'm used to it. lol

sdifox

No Lifer
Sep 30, 2005

EDIT: Question, I was supposed to go out to western Canada last year and they wanted to take me to a huge stampede. What the heck is the name of it and is it worth it?? It didn't happen because It was actually a meeting place and then we had to take a private helicopter to the Arctic, but things fell though. I really wanted to go, but it may happen in a year or two.

Calgary Stampede. I have not been, not my cup of tea.

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.anyf.ca
One of my coworkers almost ended up going lol, he was going to be sent for some training in that area and just happened to be around that time. But the training ended up getting cancelled.

MrSquished

Lifer
Jan 14, 2013
I gotta say the pricing structure of Netflix is annoying. I got a 4k tv but even though I want it for just one screen at a time I gotta pay for the 4 screen at a time plan to even get 4k at all?

It's stupid. People that live alone also own 4k TVs. I'm not paying 18 bucks a month.

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
I gotta say the pricing structure of Netflix is annoying. I got a 4k tv but even though I want it for just one screen at a time I gotta pay for the 4 screen at a time plan to even get 4k at all?

It's stupid. People that live alone also own 4k TVs. I'm not paying 18 bucks a month.
Just like Intel's tactics. Want 4K 2D desktop output from your iGPU? Buy an i3 or higher. Want overclockable RAM? Buy a "Z" board at added cost. Want to overclock? Buy a special "unlocked" "K" CPU.

nakedfrog

No Lifer
Apr 3, 2001

Right there with you.

ch33zw1z

Lifer
Nov 4, 2004

I agree, and I think they're gonna lose some customers over this last one. I canceled for a bit, first time in 15 years. I'll renew for a month in the spring and binge all the shows i want...then cancel again. I would lose a single TV plan that wasn't reduced to dvd or whatever quality.

MrSquished

Lifer
Jan 14, 2013
I agree, and I think they're gonna lose some customers over this last one. I canceled for a bit, first time in 15 years. I'll renew for a month in the spring and binge all the shows i want...then cancel again. I would lose a single TV plan that wasn't reduced to dvd or whatever quality.
I'm thinking of doing the exact same thing. I'll keep hboMax for a couple months then switch back and repeat

Reactions: ch33zw1z

DAPUNISHER

Super Moderator CPU Forum Mod and Elite Member
Super Moderator
Aug 22, 2001
I'm thinking of doing the exact same thing. I'll keep hboMax for a couple months then switch back and repeat
They had a special running, and Honey had a good reward for it, so I picked up 6 months for $10 a month.

BTW, WW 1984 makes bad superhero movies look good by comparison.

killster1

Banned
Mar 15, 2007
if 4 people split the netflix bill and agreed to only use 1 screen it would be a great price, i canceled my 17.99 netflix account since i dont ever watch the movies from it anyway and will just sign up once every 3 months at the most to view the content they have.

ch33zw1z

Lifer
Nov 4, 2004

You really make a great point tho. Why should someone be pigeon holed into the $20 plan when they only have a single tv? At $10 for a single 4k stream, I'd more likely keep it around, at least more months. I wouldn't think that they would lost money, when the $20 offers 4k to 4 tvs at a time...

nakedfrog

No Lifer
Apr 3, 2001
They had a special running, and Honey had a good reward for it, so I picked up 6 months for $10 a month.

BTW, WW 1984 makes bad superhero movies look good by comparison.
Dang. I just saw the first one the other day because my partner wanted to watch it... wasn't even as good as the worst MCU movie, IMO.

DAPUNISHER

Super Moderator CPU Forum Mod and Elite Member
Super Moderator
Aug 22, 2001
Dang. I just saw the first one the other day because my partner wanted to watch it... wasn't even as good as the worst MCU movie, IMO.
First one was ok imo. I liked the WW1 stuff.

Watch Mike and Jay from red letter media for a hyper accurate review. The movie is to be avoided at all cost, it has zero redeeming qualities.

nakedfrog

No Lifer
Apr 3, 2001
First one was ok imo. I liked the WW1 stuff.

Watch Mike and Jay from red letter media for a hyper accurate review. The movie is to be avoided at all cost, it has zero redeeming qualities.
Yeah, I'd give the first one an "ok", but my overall preference is to spend my movie-watching time on movies that are better than "ok" :D

Reactions: DAPUNISHER
Nov 20, 2009
If you guys think this nickle and dime-ing is bad in the streaming services you should look at how the wireless vendor industry has been doing things. One radio tower, one antenna, yadda, yadda, yadda, and by the time you are done with it you have to have had bought a hundred 'different' licenses. Now multiply that by the number of antennas, number of radios, number of spectrum carriers, wattage rating, and then there is the whole licensing by the vendors so one gen can talk to another gen of cellular equipment and you haven't even bought hardware, facilities, software, installation, HVAC, etc.^infinity. It is a bloody mess. I've observed it some TDMA through GSM, +GPRS, 3G, 4G LTE, +VoLTE, and now 5G.

The vendors made a killing off of 1st world crack cocaine demand and while the telco dream is a white-box solution I can say with confidence it ain't happening. $18/month? How much you paying on your cell phone bill?

• Haha
Reactions: ch33zw1z

ch33zw1z

Lifer
Nov 4, 2004
If you guys think this nickle and dime-ing is bad in the streaming services you should look at how the wireless vendor industry has been doing things. One radio tower, one antenna, yadda, yadda, yadda, and by the time you are done with it you have to have had bought a hundred 'different' licenses. Now multiply that by the number of antennas, number of radios, number of spectrum carriers, wattage rating, and then there is the whole licensing by the vendors so one gen can talk to another gen of cellular equipment and you haven't even bought hardware, facilities, software, installation, HVAC, etc.^infinity. It is a bloody mess. I've observed it some TDMA through GSM, +GPRS, 3G, 4G LTE, +VoLTE, and now 5G.

The vendors made a killing off of 1st world crack cocaine demand and while the telco dream is a white-box solution I can say with confidence it ain't happening. $18/month? How much you paying on your cell phone bill?

Yea, the corporate world is even more cut throat. I can turn off netflix for ever and it still wouldn't affecte as much and turning off my phone for a month. That's not really a good comparison IMO.

MrSquished

Lifer
Jan 14, 2013

Well clearly this is a thread about consumer streaming services, I'm sure it exists in all sorts of industries/markets. And while we are at it, fuck AT&T. I finance a Pixel5, which is a 5G phone, but am keeping my older 8GB a month data plan with rollover, but now I gotta pay $9 more a month for the phone because I won't switch to one of your newer Unlimited plans that I have no need for? It's still cheaper to pay the $9 a month but it's extortion. Fine, don't let my phone use 5G networks if I won't use your newer '5G' compatible plans, but I have to pay more for the privilege?

Between YouTubeTV, Netflix, Amazon Prime and then subscribing for Hulu on and off and trying Disney+ for 2 months, and wanting HBOMax for a couple, it all adds up. YouTubeTV is non-negotiable for now. AmazonPrime also. Something has to give. I'm not rich. I'm happy I got a permanent 300/300 FIOS plan by making some calls for only $50/month with my WiFi 6 router rental included. So that's lovely. $18 a month isn't a lot of money at all but if I say that about everything I buy it'll start to add up quickly. I spend a little extra on nice things enough.

ondma

Platinum Member
Mar 18, 2018
I noticed that Netflix is raising the prices on my 4 screen 4K "Premium" plan from $16 to $18 a month.

Personally, I think that the timing on this price increase sucks. The new content coming released by Netflix for this year has been pretty weak, and I'd imagine that the content coming out next year will also be pretty weak thanks to the COVID-19 studio shutdowns. They're also getting competition from other streaming services like Disney+ and Apple TV+, and you can usually get one of those for free with a cell phone plan.

I originally signed up for Netflix to watch Hollywood blockbuster movies and some quality original dramas like House Of Cards and Orange Is The New Black back when the service only cost $9.95 a month. I'm not sure if the new programming like "Floor Is Lava" and "American BBQ Showdown" is worth almost double that price.

What do you guys think? Can Rutledge Wood single-handedly save Netflix? :)
Nah, I dont care. We piggy back off my son in laws account (at least he is good for something).

Seriously though, I think it is still a fairly decent deal, compared to cable. My bigger frustration is with the low bandwidth of our DSL internet. Even 1080p lags. I could only imagine what trying to stream 4K would be like.

• Haha
Reactions: DAPUNISHER

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.anyf.ca
Yea, the corporate world is even more cut throat. I can turn off netflix for ever and it still wouldn't affecte as much and turning off my phone for a month. That's not really a good comparison IMO.

When I was in IT it used to frustrate me how greedy companies are. It's not even my money I'm spending but it just burns me inside knowing that we could spend thousands of dollars on a single license for something, and that's STILL not enough, they want even more money to unlock more features, or they want to charge per user, or per core, or per cpu etc... I remember pricing out Citrix, holy crap that is brutal. You need the OS license, ok fine, that's normal, you need to buy Citrix server itself, ok fine, I get that, but the things start to get ridiculous when you need to buy licenses on a per user basis, for Windows, Citrix, and whatever software you are serving. Basically you need 3 licenses per user per server.

Torn Mind

Lifer
Nov 25, 2012
When I was in IT it used to frustrate me how greedy companies are. It's not even my money I'm spending but it just burns me inside knowing that we could spend thousands of dollars on a single license for something, and that's STILL not enough, they want even more money to unlock more features, or they want to charge per user, or per core, or per cpu etc... I remember pricing out Citrix, holy crap that is brutal. You need the OS license, ok fine, that's normal, you need to buy Citrix server itself, ok fine, I get that, but the things start to get ridiculous when you need to buy licenses on a per user basis, for Windows, Citrix, and whatever software you are serving. Basically you need 3 licenses per user per server.
Well, it is both greed and survival.

Like hand tools for a mechanic, there is a problem that the good can basically last for an eternity and thus there is no need for "new" items. The professional/business sector is where compliance is easier to get than with residential users with regards to payment.

People who use software don't want to pay for software. But the people who develop software go into it to get paid "educated salaries".

ch33zw1z

Lifer
Nov 4, 2004
Well, it is both greed and survival.

Like hand tools for a mechanic, there is a problem that the good can basically last for an eternity and thus there is no need for "new" items. The professional/business sector is where compliance is easier to get than with residential users with regards to payment.

People who use software don't want to pay for software. But the people who develop software go into it to get paid "educated salaries".

And the people running the business are there for shareholder value, maximizing what the market will allow.

Nov 20, 2009
Well clearly this is a thread about consumer streaming services, I'm sure it exists in all sorts of industries/markets. And while we are at it, fuck AT&T. I finance a Pixel5, which is a 5G phone, but am keeping my older 8GB a month data plan with rollover, but now I gotta pay $9 more a month for the phone because I won't switch to one of your newer Unlimited plans that I have no need for? It's still cheaper to pay the $9 a month but it's extortion. Fine, don't let my phone use 5G networks if I won't use your newer '5G' compatible plans, but I have to pay more for the privilege?

Between YouTubeTV, Netflix, Amazon Prime and then subscribing for Hulu on and off and trying Disney+ for 2 months, and wanting HBOMax for a couple, it all adds up. YouTubeTV is non-negotiable for now. AmazonPrime also. Something has to give. I'm not rich. I'm happy I got a permanent 300/300 FIOS plan by making some calls for only $50/month with my WiFi 6 router rental included. So that's lovely. $18 a month isn't a lot of money at all but if I say that about everything I buy it'll start to add up quickly. I spend a little extra on nice things enough.
It is all relative. The increase in price is offset by what in their personal lives as the law of opportunity costs?

GodisanAtheist

Diamond Member
Nov 16, 2006
Netflix is suffering from that all too common "pioneer syndrome" where they basically created an industry on their own, built their whole model around basically being the only game in town, and now that everyone else has caught up and in some cases surpassed them they're not evolving fast enough.

The big Disney + Hulu + ESPN package launched earlier this year with a metric ton of content for peanuts. Amazon Prime Video is included with everyone's Prime membership which many people have anyway. You can link HBO max through your prime video account so now you don't even need another launcher.

Thanks to the absolute glut of competition I basically have stopped watching Netflix almost entirely. I come back for the comedy specials, my kids come back for the kids content (the lack of which doesn't bother them that much, they can watch the same thing 100's of times), otherwise I go to Hulu for my sketch comedy/sitcom crap, HBO for my cinematic series, and Amazon Prime for their excellent long form shows.