Intel Skylake / Kaby Lake

Page 547 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

krumme

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 2009
I earn about $14k per year (converted), this effectively puts any single component more expensive than $300ish outside of the range of affordability excluding exceptional circumstances.

It's important to remember than $100k salaries are not the norm in the rest of the world, even for people who are computer professionals.
The us median income for fulltime in 2016 is 44k a year for people above 25 years. A tad bigger for men vs woman.
For people with an advanced degree - master - the median income is 75k.
Bachelors is in between.

Its far fetched to think AT readers in general is in the top 5%.

And i mean look at us prices including skl x and ryzen. Intel or amd obviously cant charge higher prices or they would do so.

I will gladly come back to this 100k sallery bs the day amd launches some 7nm fx99 5.5GHz 12c zen 2 at 1499 usd that walks all over a core i7. I think imaginary 100k AT forum sallery and the meaning of 15% st perf will change a lot that day for some people.

TheF34RChannel

May 18, 2017
Is this your guess, or do we have a QS or retail sample with those clocks?

If memory serves me, he took them more or less from that early ES GeekBench screenshot? So a guess, definitely not from a QS/Retail sample (but only he can answer it in full) - besides Sweepr said the clocks were higher than that so. I'm still saying 3.9-4.0GHz base, 4.6-4.7GHz turbo.

Last edited:

Edrick

Golden Member
Feb 18, 2010
The us median income for fulltime in 2016 is 44k a year for people above 25 years. A tad bigger for men vs woman.
Bachelors is in between.

And i mean look at us prices including skl x and ryzen. Intel or amd obviously cant charge higher prices or they would do so.

I will gladly come back to this 100k sallery bs the day amd launches some 7nm fx99 5.5GHz 12c zen 2 at 1499 usd that walks all over a core i7. I think imaginary 100k AT forum sallery and the meaning of 15% st perf will change a lot that day for some people.

What does salary and median income have to do with anything? AT forums are going to be a mix of everyone, but I would agree with you in that there are probably more readers under 100K than over. But I fail to understand how that fact even comes into play when discussing CPU functionality and performance.

For people like me who make a living in IT (well over 100K) and utilize their rigs for tasks other than gaming, I generally care about absolute performance. Cost/Perf comes into play when Intel tries to bend you over with these ridiculous $8K to $10K Xeon-SP prices, but on the consumer side talking about a $300 CPU versus a $500 one, I tend to gravitate towards the better performing one.

But gamers on a low budget have to consider, not only CPU prices, but also total system costs. So a lot of factors come into play. Factors that are very important to that individual.

Honestly, I think all this talk about salaries and average income is just polluting this thread. I apologize to have to continue with the pollution (this post only), but it needed to be said. Hopefully we can let it die now.

Sweepr

Diamond Member
May 12, 2006
Exclusive: Intel® Core™ i7-8700K Specifications (Coffee Lake)

6C/12T
12MB L3
3.7 GHz Base
4.3 GHz 6-core Turbo
4.4 GHz 4-core Turbo
4.6 GHz 2-core Turbo
4.7 GHz 1-core Turbo
95W TDP

Disclaimer: The source this info comes from has provided accurate Intel leaks in the past. For now, treat it like a rumor, but rest assured I will let you know about any changes. No pricing (MSRP) information yet. Next in line, Core i5-8600K specifications.

Last edited:

Zucker2k

Golden Member
Feb 15, 2006
Exclusive: Core i7-8700K Specifications (Coffee Lake)

6C/12T
12MB L3
3.7 GHz Base
4.3 GHz 6-core Turbo
4.4 GHz 4-core Turbo
4.6 GHz 2-core Turbo
4.7 GHz 1-core Turbo
95W TDP

Disclaimer: The source this info comes from has provided accurate Intel leaks in the past. For now, treat it like a rumor, but rest assured I will let you know about any changes. No pricing (MSRP) information yet. Next in line, Core i5-8600K specifications.
Wow!

Aug 11, 2008

6C/12T
12MB L3
3.7 GHz Base
4.3 GHz 6-core Turbo
4.4 GHz 4-core Turbo
4.6 GHz 2-core Turbo
4.7 GHz 1-core Turbo
95W TDP

Hope you are right. Your numbers are quite a bit higher than the leak cited just below your post.

gx_saurav

Dec 5, 2012
about.me

6C/12T
12MB L3
3.7 GHz Base
4.3 GHz 6-core Turbo
4.4 GHz 4-core Turbo
4.6 GHz 2-core Turbo
4.7 GHz 1-core Turbo
95W TDP

Wow, if these are true then Intel will be nailing it in gaming performance. At 95W TDP those clock speeds are too good. 6 Core - 12 Thread. 4.3 Ghz all core turbo. 4.7 GHz single core turbo and these are stock speeds. Overclocking will take this CPU to 5 GHz easily.

I hope it doesn't overheat like i7 7700k this time.

TheF34RChannel

May 18, 2017

6C/12T
12MB L3
3.7 GHz Base
4.3 GHz 6-core Turbo
4.4 GHz 4-core Turbo
4.6 GHz 2-core Turbo
4.7 GHz 1-core Turbo
95W TDP

Very nice! I wasn't too far off either.

tamz_msc

Diamond Member
Jan 5, 2017
There will always be budget buyers. The G4560 is quite popular right now for mining purposes. But the market is seemingly split into two groups: bare bones and top desktop. AMD has scraped by for decades on the bare bones. To thrive AMD needs to focus on top desktop, premium image, and quality (from OEMs). The upcoming Ryzen 3 isn't going to be their savior--it'll just encourage OEMs to put it in crappy motherboards with not enough memory and awful systems.
Crappy motherboards, not enough memory, awful systems from OEMs - just like this disassembled Optiplex lying next to me with an "Intel Core i3" sticker on it.

Yet I see these things everywhere.

coercitiv

Diamond Member
Jan 24, 2014
But I fail to understand how that fact even comes into play when discussing CPU functionality and performance.
Can we also drop power usage from the equation and concentrate on raw performance as the only metric for enthusiast desktop computing? /s

I can definitely agree there's too much emphasis on cost, especially on an enthusiast forum such as this, where performance and efficiency should come first. However, there's always a balance between the three, and sidelining cost as near irrelevant can lead to odd assessments. For example, keep in mind this thread is not about HEDT only, in fact it was originally started as a mainstream SKL thread. This inherently narrowed any pricing argument to the sub $400 zone for quite a while.

More food for thought: if performance trumps cost on the forum, why wasn't the Broadwell-E thread a lot more poplar than this thread, and why doesn't SKL-X have it's own dedicated thread?

Reactions: CHADBOGA

TheGiant

Jun 12, 2017

6C/12T
12MB L3
3.7 GHz Base
4.3 GHz 6-core Turbo
4.4 GHz 4-core Turbo
4.6 GHz 2-core Turbo
4.7 GHz 1-core Turbo
95W TDP

well I bet this CPU won't throttle at 4,8GHz 6C overclock. At this frequency I take it over any 8C current CPUs available.

It will match them in multicore workloads (except oced 7820X) and totally destroys ryzen and bdw-e in gaming...

If it costs below 400USD its also the price/performance king

good job intel this time

tamz_msc

Diamond Member
Jan 5, 2017

SocialJusticeWarrior

Jul 18, 2017
well I bet this CPU won't throttle at 4,8GHz 6C overclock. At this frequency I take it over any 8C current CPUs available.

It will match them in multicore workloads (except oced 7820X) and totally destroys ryzen and bdw-e in gaming...

If it costs below 400USD its also the price/performance king

good job intel this time
It will be the best mainstream processor that's for sure.

Timmah!

Golden Member
Jul 24, 2010

6C/12T
12MB L3
3.7 GHz Base
4.3 GHz 6-core Turbo
4.4 GHz 4-core Turbo
4.6 GHz 2-core Turbo
4.7 GHz 1-core Turbo
95W TDP

Duh, seeing those Turbo clocks relative to that TDP i wonder whether i should not re-evaluate my intent to go for Skylake-X and wait for the next year´s HEDT instead.....

IndyColtsFan

Lifer
Sep 22, 2007
Bachelors is in between.

Just an observation - people on AT tend to be educated in higher-paying fields and many have advanced degrees. I don't know where you get your figures for the degrees, but assuming they're true, you have to realize that there are a lot of overproduced degrees with drag the overall average way down - teachers, social workers, and even MBAs, etc.

And just because you make 6 figures doesn't mean you spend it on the highest-priced things. I make well into 6 figures living in one of the cheapest areas of the countries, have no debt, and until late last year drove a 15 year-old car.

dullard

Elite Member
May 21, 2001
If these clocks hold to be true, I know what I'm getting for Christmas!
Those clocks look pretty much like what we should expect from Coffee Lake due to power constraints. 2 more cores, lower base clocks (and possibly more down-throttling if your cooling isn't good enough). Turbo speeds close to Kaby Lake.

The single core turbo going from 4.5 GHz to 4.7 GHz (4.44% more power used) matches closely with the additional TDP going from 91 W to 95 W (4.40% more TDP). Same goes with dual core. Meaning that those speeds are certainly quite doable even if you ignore any 14nm++ process improvements.

I also assume it'll stay at Kaby Lake prices, but Intel could always surprise us on that one since there is no technical limitation to prices.

Last edited:
Aug 11, 2008
I'll snag it up at launch - though as always they probably won't be available for a few weeks after I realise while typing. Aw... I need me some 6 core hp asap!
How compelling it is comes down to price. They could take control of everything but the super high core count market if they cut the 7700k to 275.00ish and priced the 8700k at current 7700k prices. Unfortunately, I don't see this happening.