Discussion Intel current and future Lakes & Rapids thread

Page 710 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

nicalandia

Diamond Member
Jan 10, 2019
Ah, but there's a difference. One is the 3495... the other is the 3495X. ;)
So the 3495 non-X will likely be nearly twice as fast as the 3495X? Such weird nomenclature...!

To be honest the chance that the twitter poster got it wrong it's actually High. Intel new line of Xeon Workstation CPUs based on Sapphire Rapids will be segmented in 5, 7 and 9 just like the core side. Xeon W5 will have the lowest core count, the Xeon W7 will have mid range Core counts like 32C/64T. The W9 will have the Highest core count. So there is Zero Chance that the Xeon W9 3495X have a measly 32C that will be barely faster than a OC 13900K

Last edited:

jpiniero

Lifer
Oct 1, 2010
So the 3495 non-X will likely be nearly twice as fast as the 3495X?

The 32 core presumably has much higher base clock.

Will say that when it comes to Sapphire Rapids, I wouldn't assume that a model even with a set SKU will actually make it to market.

nicalandia

Diamond Member
Jan 10, 2019
The 32 core presumably has much higher base clock.

Will say that when it comes to Sapphire Rapids, I wouldn't assume that a model even with a set SKU will actually make it to market.
There is a Zero Chance that Intel will release such CPU, just to be trampled by AMD Zen3 5995WX..

jpiniero

Lifer
Oct 1, 2010
There is a Zero Chance that Intel will release such CPU, just to be trampled by AMD Zen3 5995WX..

It'd still be better than what they have now. Right now, all of Dell's Xeon branded workstations are still 14 nm. And you know Dell is Intel's BFF.

nicalandia

Diamond Member
Jan 10, 2019
Except the Xeon will have dual AVX-512 units and the 5995WX lacks those. Intel has a window of opportunity till Zen 4 HEDT launches.
Not with lowly 32C/36T it will not make any difference. I mean 64C/128T AVX-256 vs 32C/64T AVX-512 will be pretty even, I will check the benchmarks posted so far.

Thats on AVX-512 about even, but the rest will be just too much of a core disparity.

nicalandia

Diamond Member
Jan 10, 2019
Very low yields for Sapphire Rapids.

So about 34 to 40 Fully functional dies per wafer.
FdxIqhXXgAAfA2N.jpeg

jpiniero

Lifer
Oct 1, 2010

Shocking, shocking development. Actually 50-60% being usable would be better than I expected but who knows how far down they are cutting to get to 50-60% though.

Kocicak

Jan 17, 2019
That is another half a year of delay to hopefully fix the production process to be usable for these products? I guess they have time for a few more steppings now. Once ready, these CPUs should be really good and reliable. That is good news... :)

nicalandia

Diamond Member
Jan 10, 2019
Shocking, shocking development. Actually 50-60% being usable would be better than I expected but who knows how far down they are cutting to get to 50-60% though.
So they get 68 full sized dies out of the whole 300mm wafer. the partial dies are not functional and are discarded. Out of those 68 only 34-40 are still functional(some dies will have minor defects that will just be a lower tier CPUs with lower cores)

So let's say that Intel spends about $3,000 per wafer(As per Dr. Ian Cutress estimate of 1/3 cost for Intel as opposed to TSMC Cost of $10,000 per finished wafer), that would mean that each fully functional die is about $75-88 per piece. That is still not that much and Intel can just keep "Printing" more of them.

The issue would be how fast can they ramp up production?

Last edited:

nicalandia

Diamond Member
Jan 10, 2019
That's funny. I was told the delays weren't yields but bugs with the design . . .
It's really the Whole Enchilada...! Lower Yields and Bugs that are compounding the issue. more than 13 Steppings is something really unheard of before.

nicalandia

Diamond Member
Jan 10, 2019

Hitman928

Diamond Member
Apr 15, 2012
So they get 68 full sized dies out of the whole 300mm wafer. the partial dies are not functional and are discarded. Out of those 68 only 34-40 are still functional(some dies will have minor defects that will just be a lower tier CPUs with lower cores)

So let's say that Intel spends about $3,000 per wafer(As per Dr. Ian Cutress estimate of 1/3 cost for Intel as opposed to TSMC Cost of $10,000 per finished wafer), that would mean that each fully functional die is about $75-88 per piece. That is still not that much and Intel can just keep "Printing" more of them.

The issue would be how fast can they ramp up production?

Are you taking into account that it takes 4 dies for a SPR CPU? There will also be assembly/packaging costs with yield losses in packaging as well.

LightningZ71

Golden Member
Mar 10, 2017
For the peanut gallery, the previous post's "vs fastest Genoa" test is a 2P 112 core Saphire Rapids vs. a 96 core 1P Genoa system. The 1P Genoa system is roughly equivalent to the SPR system in MT. A 2P system, assuming no major power constraints, would be markedly faster in MT in almost every subtest, save for AES...

LightningZ71

Golden Member
Mar 10, 2017
No, 40 fully functional dies means that they can then attempt to package 10 CPUs at 60% lithography yield. This says nothing about their packaging success rate, which we know will not be 100% if industry history is to be believed. It is highly likely that packaging will cost them a few percent more losses in start to finish yield.

nicalandia

Diamond Member
Jan 10, 2019
For the peanut gallery, the previous post's "vs fastest Genoa" test is a 2P 112 core Saphire Rapids vs. a 96 core 1P Genoa system. The 1P Genoa system is roughly equivalent to the SPR system in MT. A 2P system, assuming no major power constraints, would be markedly faster in MT in almost every subtest, save for AES...
Fastest Single Thread Performance posted so far.

There is another entry where the MT is 78,000 points but the ST is 36% lower

Kocicak

Jan 17, 2019
"Functional" does not mean meeting some other perf. (quality) goals of the silicone. It may not be able to perform in required power envelope etc.

LightningZ71

Golden Member
Mar 10, 2017
It could be geekbench... or it could be the overhead from Intel's layout of the 4 CPU die and the fabric extensions between them. We know from previous generations that Intel's fabric for their Xeon scalable architecture imposes a non-trivial amount of overhead on MT performance. It may scale gracefully in some ways, but, there's still a hit to MT performance that exists. This isn't implying that AMD's method is perfect, but it seems to serve them well so far.

Another possibility is that, in single core situations, SPR can stretch it's legs a bit on that single core and run at a higher clock and power level than it can when all cores are active. We do note that the related P cores in ADL/RPL can consume quite a lot of power when left to run without limits. Zen4 doesn't seem to draw quite as much and I speculate that when all 96 cores are running on Genoa, they are able to maintain higher performance due to their efficiency.

nicalandia

Diamond Member
Jan 10, 2019
"Functional" does not mean meeting some other perf. (quality) goals of the silicone. It may not be able to perform in required power envelope etc.
Fully Functional Dies does not mean that All of them will be Top Quality Silicon for sure, but they can be lower tier SKUs, but they are functional enough to be included on the successful yield rate, otherwise the yield rate is just lowered.

Exist50

Platinum Member
Aug 18, 2016

So about 34 to 40 Fully functional dies per wafer.
View attachment 70166
If yields were actually the problem, why would they only delay the launch of the MCC die, which has ~half the silicon of a full XCC package? And why would those yield issues not apply to ICL-SP, ADL, RPL, etc? And how would a single quarter be enough to materially change them? There's a lot of things that make no sense here.

An alternative explanation would be that Intel's doing a staggered launch between the dies, just as they typically do. Then, a few weeks would be expected.

I also find this kind of funny in regards to the insistence a few months ago (originally from Kuo, not TrendForce, I'll note) that SPR ramp (everything) was delayed to H2'23.

Kocicak

Jan 17, 2019
Fully Functional Dies does not mean that All of them will be Top Quality Silicon for sure, but they can be lower tier SKUs, but they are functional enough to be included on the successful yield rate, otherwise the yield rate is just lowered.
That still can mean some mismatch between the silicone you need to build the SKUs you would like to sell and the silicone that comes out of the foundry.

You may be getting 60% functional chips, but when you need half of them to be high quality and you are getting just 10%, you still have a big problem, because it severely limits the number of some SKUs you can ship.

I have a suspition that something like this may be happening too, because otherwise Intel would not announce such a big delay again and they would try to at least make some CPUs. EDIT: I believe that they did not announce it yet officially?

Last edited: