Indictments coming...

Page 165 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Jhhnn

IN MEMORIAM
Nov 11, 1999
if the parties were flipped (i.e. Democratic admin and Manafort being related to a case involving said admin), I bet Ellis would be all over it and give the max. I don't believe Ellis is that dumb or oblivious to really think Manafort was blameless for most of his life and make him out as some kind of not-so-bad person. There's definitely a motive to this BS.

I doubt judge Jackson will be so lenient. She revoked Manafort's bail over witness tampering & has agreed with prosecutors that he violated the plea deal by lying to prosecutors. Manafort was a good boy in Ellis' courtroom, not so much in Jackson's.

woolfe9998

Lifer
Apr 8, 2013
I doubt judge Jackson will be so lenient. She revoked Manafort's bail over witness tampering & has agreed with prosecutors that he violated the plea deal by lying to prosecutors. Manafort was a good boy in Ellis' courtroom, not so much in Jackson's.

She can only apply a 10 year sentence max and make it run consecutively with the first sentence. Making his maximum theoretical sentence 14 years. That would be OK, but somehow I doubt she goes to the bleeding edge extreme in sentencing him because almost no judge ever does. I bet he ends up with a total of 6-7 years tops, and will get out 2 years earlier than that.

woolfe9998

Lifer
Apr 8, 2013
I think Mueller should file an appeal on the sentence. Prosecution doesn't often appeal criminal cases because they literally cannot get any relief from a bad acquittal due to double jeopardy. But an inappropriately light sentence is fair game for appeal. The sentencing guidelines were 18-25 years here. This sentence was ridiculous. Take it up on appeal.

K1052

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2003
More like rich white privilege. You think some wanker white dude who robs a convenience store gets this kind of leniency?

Yup. Also white collar crime done by rich whites is usually treated waaaaay differently by our justice system than anything the poors get up to. They can also afford competent (or even specialized) counsel, a luxury most of the country can’t.

Reactions: DarthKyrie

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
I think Mueller should file an appeal on the sentence. Prosecution doesn't often appeal criminal cases because they literally cannot get any relief from a bad acquittal due to double jeopardy. But an inappropriately light sentence is fair game for appeal. The sentencing guidelines were 18-25 years here. This sentence was ridiculous. Take it up on appeal.

also, the fact that the judge made an argument for sentencing based on Manafort not being convicted for crimes that he wasn't even prosecuted for in this trial...I mean, wtf?...seems like misconduct or some shit.

kage69

Lifer
Jul 17, 2003
I hate to disparage a judge I know nothing about, but that sentence seems like complete horseshit. The reputation of Reagan appointees is richly deserved in this case apparently.

But then, my faith in the credibility of our courts has already been kneecapped, thanks to the party-before-country traitors packing of courts with liars and partisan shitbags like Kavanaugh.

Hayabusa Rider

Admin Emeritus & Elite Member
Jan 26, 2000
She can only apply a 10 year sentence max and make it run consecutively with the first sentence. Making his maximum theoretical sentence 14 years. That would be OK, but somehow I doubt she goes to the bleeding edge extreme in sentencing him because almost no judge ever does. I bet he ends up with a total of 6-7 years tops, and will get out 2 years earlier than that.

Looks like life may turn out to be about 5 years.

tweaker2

Lifer
Aug 5, 2000
Seems to me this judge is so full of himself and so high minded of his stature that he passed this ridiculously light sentence just to get back at those prosecutors who he felt had tried to manipulate his court proceedings in order to get at Trump rather than stick to the business of prosecuting Manafort.

The 'ol "Fuck with me will you? Not in my court. Hah! Right back at ya's, you insolent usurpers!". *Humph!*".

I think I read or heard somewhere that this judge is somewhat of a character and that the prosecutors were warned beforehand to not mess around with this guy.

edit - After some reflecting, and I may be wrong on this but I vaguely remember that this thing with using court proceedings to get at Trump was mentioned on either CNN or MSNBC.

Last edited:

cytg111

Lifer
Mar 17, 2008
The neverending question of who polices the police ... This Ellis character is obviously running his own gig .. and there is noone to keep him in check.
What is the counsels options?

Jhhnn

IN MEMORIAM
Nov 11, 1999
The neverending question of who polices the police ... This Ellis character is obviously running his own gig .. and there is noone to keep him in check.
What is the counsels options?

Meanwhile, a woman in Texas got 5 years for mistakenly voting while on probation.

Republican justice.

Maxima1

Diamond Member
Jan 15, 2013
Seems to me this judge is so full of himself and so high minded of his stature that he passed this ridiculously light sentence just to get back at those prosecutors who he felt had tried to manipulate his court proceedings in order to get at Trump rather than stick to the business of prosecuting Manafort.

The 'ol "Fuck with me will you? Not in my court. Hah! Right back at ya's, you insolent usurpers!". *Humph!*".

I think I read or heard somewhere that this judge is somewhat of a character and that the prosecutors were warned beforehand to not mess around with this guy.

edit - After some reflecting, and I may be wrong on this but I vaguely remember that this thing with using court proceedings to get at Trump was mentioned on either CNN or MSNBC.

Nah. i think it's broader than that in the sense that he knows this investigation can hurt the Republicans and is lashing out. He's probably angry too that Mueller hasn't shown his cards yet.

SMOGZINN

Lifer
Jun 17, 2005
Just goes to prove that the penalty is worse for stealing a candy bar than stealing the entire store.
The thing to learn from this is if you are going to be a criminal go big.

hal2kilo

Lifer
Feb 24, 2009
Yup. Also white collar crime done by rich whites is usually treated waaaaay differently by our justice system than anything the poors get up to. They can also afford competent (or even specialized) counsel, a luxury most of the country can’t.
They also go to the nice jails. Would be nice if they went to the "scared straight" jails.

SlowSpyder

Lifer
Jan 12, 2005
Hi guys, I like to check in every couple of weeks on this thread. Has Trump been impeached yet? I give you guys some credit though, you don't stop dreaming. That's a good trait I guess, forever optimistic no matter how silly or how foolish the dream. :)

SlowSpyder

Lifer
Jan 12, 2005
Meanwhile, a woman in Texas got 5 years for mistakenly voting while on probation.

Republican justice.

It's pretty straightforward.

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/06/13/us/texas-woman-voter-fraud.html

I mean, it's Texas, right?

It sounds like there is more to the story.

Crystal Mason is going back to prison for a reason, and it does not hinge on whether or how she voted.

Mason, 43, of Rendon, is on her way back to prison to serve 10 more months on a five-year federal sentence for inflating clients’ tax returns.

Before she ever tried to vote unlawfully in the 2016 election, Mason had been given a second chance.

She was released from prison two years early in a tax preparation fraud case where she also had to pay $4.2 million in restitution.

That was her second chance - to get out of prison, stay out of trouble, meet the conditions of supervised release and start making payments.

She has failed to respect both the payment schedule and Texas election law.

She also failed to make restitution.

fleshconsumed

Diamond Member
Feb 21, 2002
Hi guys, I like to check in every couple of weeks on this thread. Has Trump been impeached yet? I give you guys some credit though, you don't stop dreaming. That's a good trait I guess, forever optimistic no matter how silly or how foolish the dream. :)
I feel Deja Vu but I feel like I told someone in this thread, perhaps even you, that this thread is not about impeachment, it's about indictments. And so far there have been plenty of indictments.