Indictments coming...

Page 164 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

vi edit

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Oct 28, 1999
Yep. You want criminal justice reform? Let's start nailing some white old fuckers nuts to the wall for 15-20 years for being a lifelong sack of shit. Them getting less than drug offenses or other petty crime is just a mockery of our justice system.

Reactions: DarthKyrie
Jan 25, 2011
If Trump was smart he would pardon or commute his sentence right now while the outrage is high on the sentence. Just piggy back it on in. With a sentence that short the optics aren’t nearly as bad as twenty years.

Edit. Oops forgot about the other sentencing. I withdraw my suggestion for now...

Jhhnn

IN MEMORIAM
Nov 11, 1999
47 months

What a joke!

Ellis is on Team Trump.

He has yet to be sentenced by Judge Jackson in DC. She can give him 10 years to run consecutively if she wants. He can still be prosecuted for other crimes in both state & federal courts. Other than a commutation of sentence he'll probably never see daylight.

Amused

Elite Member
Apr 14, 2001
Was this a known fact in any way? This is unbelievable.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/opin...0203b8d7b44_story.html?utm_term=.83a3c2e1cedf

It is not unusual for judges to intervene in court proceedings from time to time — to direct the lawyers to move the case along or to admonish them that evidence is repetitive. The judge's role is to act not as a "mere moderator," as the Supreme Court noted in Herron v. Southern Pacific in 1931, but as the "governor of the trial" responsible for ensuring the proper conduct of all participants.

The performance of U.S. District Court Judge T.S. Ellis III in the trial of Paul Manafort on bank fraud and tax evasion charges has been decidedly unusual.

During the trial, Ellis intervened regularly, and mainly against one side: the prosecution. The judge's interruptions occurred in the presence of the jury and on matters of substance, not courtroom conduct. He disparaged the prosecution's evidence, misstated its legal theories, even implied that prosecutors had disobeyed his orders when they had not.

Under the Code of Conduct for U.S. judges, a judge is supposed to be fair and impartial, as well as "patient, dignified, respectful and courteous" to those in his courtroom. The rule's concern is as much about the appearance of justice as its reality. If the judge violates that rule and a defendant is convicted, there may be a trial remedy — an appeal.

But there will be no appeal available to address Ellis's anti-prosecution bias if Manafort is acquitted by the jurors, who began deliberating on Thursday. The prohibition against double jeopardy precludes it. And if President Trump's former campaign chairman is convicted despite Ellis's interventions, the judge's hostility toward the prosecution will have been irrelevant.

sactoking

Diamond Member
Sep 24, 2007
Sentence of 47 months puts in context Ellis' comment from earlier in the sentencing that Manafort was not charged with Russia-related crimes. When he said that it seemed unnecessary. In light of the unusually light sentence compared to the guidelines it looks an awful lot like a concession that Manafort had to be sent to jail for SOME time but the judge thought the crimes were bullshit because they weren't Russia related. Makes you wonder, had Manafort been honest would be had gotten off with time served?

K1052

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2003
I think Popehat is probably right that ABJ is going to max him out now.

Also the enormous benefits of being a rich white male in our justice system never cease to amaze.

UNCjigga

Lifer
Dec 12, 2000
This is a travesty of justice. This judge will be under the microscope now.

I’m seriously wondering if the judge or their family ran into some unfriendly Russians at some point prior to sentencing.

K1052

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2003
The otherwise blameless life part just really gets me. I mean that’s just not supported by any facts whatsoever. Even his damn kids knew that he was huge pos and his work propped up interests of a laundry list of shady oligarchs and murderous dictators.

dank69

Lifer
Oct 6, 2009
The otherwise blameless life part just really gets me. I mean that’s just not supported by any facts whatsoever. Even his damn kids knew that he was huge pos and his work propped up interests of a laundry list of shady oligarchs and murderous dictators.
"Blameless life" just means he wasn't a filthy liberal.

sportage

Lifer
Feb 1, 2008
IT'S THE MOB for gods sake.
The Trump family IS A MOB FAMILY. What further proof does one need?
And it is not uncommon for A MOB FAMILY to own a judge or two or three or more currently sitting on the court.
Ellis, for one.

And don't expect much different from the DC judge next week.
At worse case Manafort will get a slap on both hands.
Ellis hand slap was only a single hand slap.

Once again, this Trump nightmare eludes all logic, eludes all reasoning, eludes all justice.
Donald Trump is the anti-Christ. He certainly qualifies.

Last edited:

Maxima1

Diamond Member
Jan 15, 2013

feralkid

Lifer
Jan 28, 2002
God help us, it's Judge Whitey.
y.
525p301.jpg

Jhhnn

IN MEMORIAM
Nov 11, 1999
it's painfully obvious what this is about. i see Fox is already running with this, making it seem as if Manafort isn't that bad.

https://www.newsweek.com/who-judge-ts-ellis-manafort-sentencing-1355095

Ellis challenged the scope of Mueller’s Russia probe in May, saying that any charges the special counsel’s team could lodge against Manafort could also damage Trump [read:Republican party].

Ellis is making determinations outside of the scope of the evidence presented in his courtroom which was a straight up fraud/ tax evasion case against Manafort which didn't involve Trump at all.

Maxima1

Diamond Member
Jan 15, 2013
Ellis is making determinations outside of the scope of the evidence presented in his courtroom which was a straight up fraud/ tax evasion case against Manafort which didn't involve Trump at all.

if the parties were flipped (i.e. Democratic admin and Manafort being related to a case involving said admin), I bet Ellis would be all over it and give the max. I don't believe Ellis is that dumb or oblivious to really think Manafort was blameless for most of his life and make him out as some kind of not-so-bad person. There's definitely a motive to this BS.