I'm in love with one of my roommates...

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

SweetSweetLeroyBrown

Oct 16, 2003
Originally posted by: SickBeast
This is really messed up. I live in a student co-op. I'm in a unit where 5 of us share a kitchen. 2 months ago a new girl moved in, and from the moment I met her she had me spellbound. We were flirting to the point where I thought she was interested. Then it came up that she had a boyfriend.

In any case, her boyfriend of 3 years broke up with her last week. She asked me the other day what it was like living with two people who were dating in the same multi-unit (a couple used to live in 2 of the rooms). I told her it was fine and didn't bother me. I don't know why she asked, but it sorta struck me as odd.

So...to make a long story short, I've gotten to know her and we have more in common than I've ever found in someone. She's gorgeous to boot, has a great personality, and is highly intelligent. BUT...and here's the problem...she has a date on Saturday. Not with her ex, with this friend of a friend who somehow got her number, called her, and I suppose they hit it off.

Such a complicated mess, and I'm stuck with my heart broken without much I can do about it. I'm TERRIFIED of telling her how I feel about her. I'm worried it will freak her out and it'll be really awkward living with her. I suppose there's nothing I can do now anyway...

Just tell her the truth, that you've been having masturbatory fantasies about her. She'll like that.

SickBeast

Lifer
Jul 21, 2000
Originally posted by: MisterJackson
You're in the friend zone dude!

All this friend zone nonsense. You've gotta start off as friends with someone, at some level at least. 2 months of knowing her isn't all that long, is it?

Doggiedog

Lifer
Aug 17, 2000
Originally posted by: dman
btw, yagt.org

Nice. AT Forums are my favourite spot to post on the 'net right now tho. Besides, I can't wait to be a diamond member. :)

OK, so wait till after this "date" tomorrow. You guys keep jumping on me for not making a move already. She just broke up last weekend. I figured she would need some time before jumping back into things...a 3 year relationship is pretty serious. I had no idea she'd be dating someone new 6 days after her last relationship ended. Ah well, c'est la vie.

When I was in college, this girl from HS who was a really good friend of mine who also went to my school broke up with her BF of 4 years. I was all ready to jump all over it when I thought it would be lousy of me to try and ask her out when she is probably depressed. Sure enough, guys started asking her out right away so I never even got a chance. She ended up marrying the next guy after that BF too BTW. Too bad, because she is an MD now too. Oh well.

GTaudiophile

Lifer
Oct 24, 2000
Originally posted by: txxxx
Oh btw chances are , just coming out a 3 year relationship, the current will just be fun or something like that.
She proberly wants a breather for now, and nothing too sudden serious.

Patience will be the key here.

Bah! Patience = she runs off, finds someone else, opportunity lost. From my experience, women don't take these breathers of which you speak.

I am reminded of that quote from MI2: Won?t let go of one branch till they?ve got a grip on the next!

SickBeast

Lifer
Jul 21, 2000
Originally posted by: SweetSweetLeroyBrown

Just tell her the truth, that you've been having masturbatory fantasies about her. She'll like that.

Eew. If that were the case, maybe, but NO. My thoughts about her haven't necessarily been sexual...it's more infatuation at this point.

ragazzo

Golden Member
Jan 9, 2002
Originally posted by: GTaudiophile
:camera: or BAN!

I don't have any pics of her. I suppose I could snap one of here with my digicam when she gets all dressed up tomorrow night...nice...use this bad situation to my advantage. :)

good idea. at the same time, compliment her and say how sexy she looks or somethin. after her date, try to make it be known to her that you're still interested in her romantically. good luck.

Squisher

Lifer
Aug 17, 2000
You don't need to tell her just how much you have the hots for her. All you have to do is ask if she'd like to go out.

SickBeast

Lifer
Jul 21, 2000
Originally posted by: Squisher
You don't need to tell her just how much you have the hots for her. All you have to do is ask if she'd like to go out.

Hmm...alright. Now WHERE would be the next question. Oh, I forgot to mention: She's moving to Australia in February for 4 months, which I don't mind since I have my degree to finish off anyhow. I don't know if this impacts things (although I'm sure you people will come up with some symbolic meaning of her departure).

JulesMaximus

No Lifer
Jul 3, 2003
Originally posted by: Squisher

Hmm...alright. Now WHERE would be the next question. Oh, I forgot to mention: She's moving to Australia in February for 4 months, which I don't mind since I have my degree to finish off anyhow. I don't know if this impacts things (although I'm sure you people will come up with some symbolic meaning of her departure).

Dude, you keep finding all these reasons not to ask her out! Stop it already. Keep this up and you'll never ask anyone out. So she's going to Australia...why does this matter?

Just ask her out already.

SickBeast

Lifer
Jul 21, 2000

Alright alright, take it easy...

I'm going to take the overwhelming advice given to me through this thread and do the following:

-take a pic of her all dressed up
-tell her that she looks fabulous
-wait a day or two
-ask her out

Thanks to everyone for the input, this has been quite enlightening. I hope you all know what you're talking about!! :)

EngenZerO

Diamond Member
Dec 24, 2001

Alright alright, take it easy...

I'm going to take the overwhelming advice given to me through this thread and do the following:

-take a pic of her all dressed up
-tell her that she looks fabulous
-wait a day or two
-ask her out

Thanks to everyone for the input, this has been quite enlightening. I hope you all know what you're talking about!! :)

for get the pic and waiting, ask her out now!!!!

miniMUNCH

Diamond Member
Nov 16, 2000
Don't let opportunity pass you by...talk to her asap...and don't worry about the date...if she is as cool as you say she is she won't be hooking up on a first date.

TALK TO HER about your feeling for her...

SickBeast

Lifer
Jul 21, 2000

DUDE!!! SHE HAS A DATE ALREADY! This girl is not capable of dating 2 guys at once. She's booked tomorrow...what am I supposed to say? "What are you doing on Sunday?" I dunno....

EngenZerO

Diamond Member
Dec 24, 2001

DUDE!!! SHE HAS A DATE ALREADY! This girl is not capable of dating 2 guys at once. She's booked tomorrow...what am I supposed to say? "What are you doing on Sunday?" I dunno....

YES!!! ;)

SickBeast

Lifer
Jul 21, 2000
Originally posted by: EngenZerO

YES!!! ;)

UGH...if I'm playing that reggae song "She Nuh Ready Yet" on Sunday you'll be getting a nasty PM.

EngenZerO

Diamond Member
Dec 24, 2001
Originally posted by: EngenZerO

YES!!! ;)

UGH...if I'm playing that reggae song "She Nuh Ready Yet" on Sunday you'll be getting a nasty PM.

LOL...

DrPizza

Administrator Elite Member Goat Whisperer
Mar 5, 2001
www.slatebrookfarm.com
Ask her out, but you don't have to make it obvious that you mean as a date. Say something like "I was thinking, since you don't have a boyfriend now, no one would get mad if you and I went out to dinner together... care to go out tomorrow night? My treat."

SickBeast

Lifer
Jul 21, 2000
Oh, one more small detail: this girl says she doesn't like to be chased. She says she's the type of girl that prefers to persue the guy. I suppose if I take that into account I could be SOL.

I know what you're all going to say..."Quit making excuses!!"..."Ask her out already"...but seriously, there are some major obstacles to making this proposition a reality.

This reminds me of the beginning of that "Satan" song by Orbital...it goes something like:

"Daddy?"
"Yes, son?"
"Wha-wha-wha-what does regret mean?"
"Well son, it's better to regret something you HAVE done than to regret something you HAVEN'T done. Oh, and by the way, tell your mom I say...SAT--!!!"
;)

EngenZerO

Diamond Member
Dec 24, 2001
Oh, one more small detail: this girl says she doesn't like to be chased. She says she's the type of girl that prefers to persue the guy. I suppose if I take that into account I could be SOL.

I know what you're all going to say..."Quit making excuses!!"..."Ask her out already"...but seriously, there are some major obstacles to making this proposition a reality.

This reminds me of the beginning of that "Satan" song by Orbital...it goes something like:

"Daddy?"
"Yes, son?"
"Well son, it's better to regret something you HAVE done than to regret something you HAVEN'T done. Oh, and by the way, tell your mom I say...SAT--!!!"
;)

rolleye.gif
sol...possibly

Turkish

Lifer
May 26, 2003
dude, sorry but you suck.

how hard can it be for you to tell her she looks great and ask her out?

this is not a complicated math problem. she either DOES or DOESN'T like you.

what are you gonna do? live with her until she goes to australia in 2 months with your mouth shut? that's so stupid. if she denies you, she'll be gone in a couple of months, what's the big deal...

geeezz....

Turkish

Lifer
May 26, 2003

"Daddy?"
"Yes, son?"
;)

die. or ask her out.