I'm in love with one of my roommates...

Page 5 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

bleeb

Lifer
Feb 3, 2000
Forget it son, you're already become an "intellectual whore". Do the MODS a favor by pitying yourself.... that or BAN YOURSELF!!! :beer:;):beer:

PricklyPete

Lifer
Sep 17, 2002
JUST ASK HER OUT. She will not get all freaked out as long as you don't come on to her like you are infatuated with her. Just tell her that you've realized you really like hanging out with her and didn't know if she was up for going out on a date or so. Since you've known her for a while now and have a going friendship, you are light years ahead of the guy who just called her. It is not like she is exclusive with the guy this weekend...its there first date. Big deal if she goes out with him...try to setup a date with her on Friday or sometime next week. The worst that can happen is that she rejects you. If you take it well, there shouldn't be any awkwardness between the two of you after that point.

bibe

Oct 23, 2003
Noy sure what you guys classify as 'asking her out on a date', but just casually ask her to go to a movie or something next friday night. You don't have to tell her 'do you want to go out on a date?'. Being her friend already, if you take her out 'just as friends', when she's ready she might be the one coming to you as you helped her get over her breakup.

DAPUNISHER

Super Moderator CPU Forum Mod and Elite Member
Super Moderator
Aug 22, 2001
Aggressive women, like aggressive men rarely fail to pursue the object of their desire, and it's my considered opinion based on your posts that you are not on her "hit list". In fact, if what you say is accurate, and I have no reason to believe you're not being straight up, then she already knows how you feel and is being a sweetie about trying to discourage you without hurting you. The operative sentence was when she told you she likes to pursue the guy and not be pursued. I'm going to presume you are an average looking guy and that's why she went on to you about how hot this other guy is, it's a not too subtle hint that you don't meet her appearance standards.

Listen my fellow primate, you yourself said she's very intelligent, do you really think she could be missing the signals you've been sending? or that she is simply avoiding a relationship with you for fear of complications arising from co-habitation when she gets to bail in 2 months? Think McFly! Think! Why hasn't she been grilling you about your love life? Do you have one at this point? Have you had a GF since moving in? Ay any rate, do not be surprised if when you ask her out she cannot even feign surprise and has a rehearsed speech for you ;) I know I'm inferring a great deal from little data but based on my life's experience with aggressive women,I married one :evil: They will go after a guy they want. Some won't even let a wedding band stop them from making a play :Q This all applies to men even more of course since most of us are dogs!

I'd advise getting over your "crush" on her as I believe it's simply a result of the constant proximity in which you dwell with her, combined with her appearance and being a sweetiepie, along with your evident lack of romantic experience "no offense intended :) " that has resulted in your fixation. I sincerly hope I'm way off base here :)

iamtrout

Diamond Member
Nov 21, 2001
Well, think of it this way:

Two possibilities:

One: Ask her out on a date and she says yes.
Two: Ask her out on a date and she says yes.

If it makes you feel any better I met this girl who was a definite possibility. Then I shook hands with her huge ROTC boyfriend who runs marathons. Yeah..... I just tutor her in chem now.

minus1972

Platinum Member
Oct 4, 2000
Originally posted by: DAPUNISHER
Aggressive women, like aggressive men rarely fail to pursue the object of their desire, and it's my considered opinion based on your posts that you are not on her "hit list". In fact, if what you say is accurate, and I have no reason to believe you're not being straight up, then she already knows how you feel and is being a sweetie about trying to discourage you without hurting you. The operative sentence was when she told you she likes to pursue the guy and not be pursued. I'm going to presume you are an average looking guy and that's why she went on to you about how hot this other guy is, it's a not too subtle hint that you don't meet her appearance standards.

Listen my fellow primate, you yourself said she's very intelligent, do you really think she could be missing the signals you've been sending? or that she is simply avoiding a relationship with you for fear of complications arising from co-habitation when she gets to bail in 2 months? Think McFly! Think! Why hasn't she been grilling you about your love life? Do you have one at this point? Have you had a GF since moving in? Ay any rate, do not be surprised if when you ask her out she cannot even feign surprise and has a rehearsed speech for you ;) I know I'm inferring a great deal from little data but based on my life's experience with aggressive women,I married one :evil: They will go after a guy they want. Some won't even let a wedding band stop them from making a play :Q This all applies to men even more of course since most of us are dogs!

I'd advise getting over your "crush" on her as I believe it's simply a result of the constant proximity in which you dwell with her, combined with her appearance and being a sweetiepie, along with your evident lack of romantic experience "no offense intended :) " that has resulted in your fixation. I sincerly hope I'm way off base here :)
best. post. evar.

sstinman

Nov 22, 2002

She maybe is aggressive but what you are descibing is a robot with one set of instruction. Hunt and destroy one man.

But I would tell you to ask her out in a casual way and see where it leads. Nothing serious maybe pizza and a show. Keep it light and see if she responds. There shouldn't be anything ackward about going out for a bite to eat and stuff. Its not like you are going to profess your love through a song and a tattoo. It seems like you have already made up your mind that you are going to marry her. Wait and get to know her a bit more. Maybe she's not all you image her to be. Play it cool and don't plan to far down the line. Concetrate on tomorrow and maybe the next day leave the future for another day.

If she doesn't want to continue with it, then no big thing at worst you've gone out a couple times and had some fun. This is NOT the time to get emotionally involved with a stranger. And for God's sake don't even think about marring her until you get alot closer to 30. Life kinda changes at 30.

SaltBoy

Diamond Member
Aug 13, 2001
Okay, here's what you say to her:

"Hey, this new movie's coming out and I can't find any friends to go to it with. Do ya' want to...uh... go see it? Maybe we can pick up some ice cream at the store and eat some back at the apartment afterwards. "

Simple as that.

psydancerqt

Golden Member
Mar 31, 2003
she's leaving in 2 months anyways.... be friends with her, hang out, see what happens in 6 months when she's back.

Kristi2k

Golden Member
Oct 25, 2003
Originally posted by: SaltBoy
Okay, here's what you say to her:

"Hey, this new movie's coming out and I can't find any friends to go to it with. Do ya' want to...uh... go see it? Maybe we can pick up some ice cream at the store and eat some back at the apartment afterwards. "

Simple as that.

That's a good idea, and flirt with her a lot and compliment her. Don't look at any other woman.

DAPUNISHER

Super Moderator CPU Forum Mod and Elite Member
Super Moderator
Aug 22, 2001
She maybe is aggressive but what you are descibing is a robot with one set of instruction. Hunt and destroy one man.
That's not what I said at all
rolleye.gif
I'm simply pointing out that since she is by her own admission, the aggressive type, that many people with this trait tend to know what they want in a man/woman and go after it, not play coy or beat around the bush about it. It isn't too the exclusion of all others as that would be more obsession/stalking at that point ;) It's just advice based on my personal experience with, and observation of, aggressive men and women in the area of romance that makes me believe if she was interested in my fellow gorilla that he would not be seeking advice here because they'd already be involved. Again, I may be way off base, but to re-iterate what I believe is the most important thing she said to him, "she likes to do the pursuing" and for me that is innuendo for "If I want you, you will know it in no uncertain terms" Hopefully, she is more tractable than that and he will get some hot monkey love, but I wouldn't bet the farm on it that's all....

sygyzy

Lifer
Oct 21, 2000
Originally posted by: minus1972

best. post. evar.

Seconded. I enjoyed reading that thoroughly. Heck, I am going to read it again now!

Nov 30, 2003
Well, the majority of the guys on here will tell you to, but being of the female gender, I definitely say don't ask her out since not only did she just come out of a long-term relationship, but she also outright said she's not ready for another one yet. Just do stuff as friends; get to know her really well. She'll probably appreciate the non-threatening company. And contrary to popular belief, it doesn't automatically negate any chances of something developing later.

This is, of course, assuming you're looking for more than a roll in the hay.

LAUST

Diamond Member
Sep 13, 2000
Originally posted by: dman
Well, you have 2 options:

1) Ask her out and
a) get denied
b) she agrees

2) Not ask her out

I guarantee you will regret #2 more than either outcome of option 1.
Great post.

Rigomortis

Nov 10, 1999
Dude you gota do the lets go get some pizza and beer roomate thing... then get her liquored up and she were she heads from there.

OR she has some hottie friends that will not be living w/ you that you can tray and hook up w/.

Xenon14

Platinum Member
Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: SickBeast
This is really messed up. I live in a student co-op. I'm in a unit where 5 of us share a kitchen. 2 months ago a new girl moved in, and from the moment I met her she had me spellbound. We were flirting to the point where I thought she was interested. Then it came up that she had a boyfriend.

In any case, her boyfriend of 3 years broke up with her last week. She asked me the other day what it was like living with two people who were dating in the same multi-unit (a couple used to live in 2 of the rooms). I told her it was fine and didn't bother me. I don't know why she asked, but it sorta struck me as odd.

So...to make a long story short, I've gotten to know her and we have more in common than I've ever found in someone. She's gorgeous to boot, has a great personality, and is highly intelligent. BUT...and here's the problem...she has a date on Saturday. Not with her ex, with this friend of a friend who somehow got her number, called her, and I suppose they hit it off.

Such a complicated mess, and I'm stuck with my heart broken without much I can do about it. I'm TERRIFIED of telling her how I feel about her. I'm worried it will freak her out and it'll be really awkward living with her. I suppose there's nothing I can do now anyway...

omg dude.. ask her out. if she's going out w/ a freind of a friend of a friend, you're a shoe-in. Just don't waste time, cuz then you'll be in the deadly "friend zone."

roncarter

Golden Member
Feb 28, 2002
I say ask her out man.. theres no point in being just friends and not getting any love

you'll regret it if you dont..

RbSX

Diamond Member
Jan 18, 2002
Originally posted by: Doggiedog
Don't look back on your life regretting "Why didn't I ask out my ex-roommate? She was so great."

Be a man and go for it.