I think I have the worst coworker in the world.

Page 5 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

MrMatt

Banned
Mar 3, 2009
Oh, so you are reading this thread.

Again, what has been said to him and what are you, your coworkers and your employer doing about him?

Hi!

Well currently a lot of our management is on vacation for the week. Just worked out that way. I'm keeping track of the things he says / does. I'm giving it til the end of this week for him to settle down. If not, I'm calling HR and explaining the whole situation. Anonymously at first, since as I said, he and my manager are friends. They're neighbors actually and they carpool to work each day. I'll go from there. In the meantime I'll keep posting the horrific things he says.

nick1985

Lifer
Dec 29, 2002
Hi!

Well currently a lot of our management is on vacation for the week. Just worked out that way. I'm keeping track of the things he says / does. I'm giving it til the end of this week for him to settle down. If not, I'm calling HR and explaining the whole situation. Anonymously at first, since as I said, he and my manager are friends. They're neighbors actually and they carpool to work each day. I'll go from there. In the meantime I'll keep posting the horrific things he says.

pics?

Until you post one of him, I will assume he looks like this. Blooming onion hair-do and all

293.jerseyshore.delvecchio.paul.lc.120909.jpg

Last edited:

Kyteland

Diamond Member
Dec 30, 2002
I just wanted to chime in and say that the bullet-point function always worked in FuseTalk, you just weren't smart enough to figure it out.

Have a nice day. ;)

MrMatt

Banned
Mar 3, 2009
UPDATE! So he's continued to be horrifying with seeming impunity. Up until this past week. So we have multiple locations in the area, and sometimes staff from one locale will cover shifts at other locations. The guy from my OP is working with a new female employee at another location 2 weeks ago. He apparently spent the shift talking about how he was the world's greatest bmx rider and was a pro on the national tour, how he was a famous d.j., all the usual shit. He then starts texting some other girl that he says he's having sex with, who isn't his wife. Then he starts asking the new girl about tattoos she has and asks if she has any others and start running his hands over her shoulder or something where she has ink. He continually touches her. He keeps pressing her for info about where her other tats are, if she has any.

So the girl is obviously freaked out at this point and tells some female staff from this 2nd location about what happened, and they all say he's done the same to them. They all go to our team leader who is in charge of the programs in my area. The team leader and the manager for the program where he was creeping on the girls come out and meet with him here at my home-program. They read him the sexual harassment policy, but don't discipline him. They also say that he can’t cover shifts at this other location anymore. Afterwards we have this convo:

Him: Dude that girl was talking to ME.
Me: Well…I mean…If you didn’t do anything untoward, then she must have taken something the wrong way.
Him: Wait…I know what it must be..she must want me.
Me: Yeah..ye….wait what?
Him: Yeah she just got married. But when she met me she must want me so bad that she had to do this to make sure I didn’t get near her because she can’t resist me.
Me: Oh man….dude you got 3 kids to feed…

Then yesterday the girls at my office get a call from our team leader again, asking if the feel like he's ever harassed them. They try to be nice and say not really, but that he makes them extremely uncomfortable, and that he's annoying to be around. So today my manager tells me that he’s not coming in the next couple days. I get a message from the guy and he says that our team leader told the regional manager, and that the regional manager told HR, and that HR has suspended him indefinitely while they conduct an investigation. He still says he’s confused as to why people are put-off by him…

Oh, and on Sunday he told me that it would be easier if his wife died of cancer. No joking, not being facetious. He said “It would be easier if she died of cancer, that way I wouldn’t have to go through the process of leaving or divorcing her. It would just be better”. Seriously. He wants his 3 kids to watch their mother wither and die of cancer. He wants them to be burdened with the higher risk of cancer and early death. All so he doesn’t have to grow a set of balls and divorce her.

kranky

Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
Sounds like a real sociopath to me, since he can't understand why people are put off by his behavior. Or just a lunatic like my sister-in-law who is a compulsive liar and will lie about anything, any time, for no reason at all.

Capt Caveman

Lifer
Jan 30, 2005
I find it hard to believe that no one has called this person out on his lies and that not more females have gone to HR after all this time.

Last edited:

Azraele

Elite Member
Nov 5, 2000
This guy sounds like a real winner. I'm sorry you have to deal with him. Hopefully he gets what's coming to him.

nick1985

Lifer
Dec 29, 2002
UPDATE! So he's continued to be horrifying with seeming impunity. Up until this past week. So we have multiple locations in the area, and sometimes staff from one locale will cover shifts at other locations. The guy from my OP is working with a new female employee at another location 2 weeks ago. He apparently spent the shift talking about how he was the world's greatest bmx rider and was a pro on the national tour, how he was a famous d.j., all the usual shit. He then starts texting some other girl that he says he's having sex with, who isn't his wife. Then he starts asking the new girl about tattoos she has and asks if she has any others and start running his hands over her shoulder or something where she has ink. He continually touches her. He keeps pressing her for info about where her other tats are, if she has any.

So the girl is obviously freaked out at this point and tells some female staff from this 2nd location about what happened, and they all say he's done the same to them. They all go to our team leader who is in charge of the programs in my area. The team leader and the manager for the program where he was creeping on the girls come out and meet with him here at my home-program. They read him the sexual harassment policy, but don't discipline him. They also say that he can’t cover shifts at this other location anymore. Afterwards we have this convo:

Him: Dude that girl was talking to ME.
Me: Well…I mean…If you didn’t do anything untoward, then she must have taken something the wrong way.
Him: Wait…I know what it must be..she must want me.
Me: Yeah..ye….wait what?
Him: Yeah she just got married. But when she met me she must want me so bad that she had to do this to make sure I didn’t get near her because she can’t resist me.
Me: Oh man….dude you got 3 kids to feed…

Then yesterday the girls at my office get a call from our team leader again, asking if the feel like he's ever harassed them. They try to be nice and say not really, but that he makes them extremely uncomfortable, and that he's annoying to be around. So today my manager tells me that he’s not coming in the next couple days. I get a message from the guy and he says that our team leader told the regional manager, and that the regional manager told HR, and that HR has suspended him indefinitely while they conduct an investigation. He still says he’s confused as to why people are put-off by him…

Oh, and on Sunday he told me that it would be easier if his wife died of cancer. No joking, not being facetious. He said “It would be easier if she died of cancer, that way I wouldn’t have to go through the process of leaving or divorcing her. It would just be better”. Seriously. He wants his 3 kids to watch their mother wither and die of cancer. He wants them to be burdened with the higher risk of cancer and early death. All so he doesn’t have to grow a set of balls and divorce her.

What a sicko

Perknose

Forum Director & Omnipotent Overlord
Forum Director
Oct 9, 1999
Epic tale, OP!

Not to nitpick, and, YES, I understand and comprehend that the shit is now hitting the fan for him, but as a former PI, the two snippets below just don't quite fit in to the story as you tell it.

Previously:

They read him the sexual harassment policy, but don't discipline him.

Recently:

Then yesterday the girls at my office get a call from our team leader again, asking if the feel like he's ever harassed them. They try to be nice and say not really, but that he makes them extremely uncomfortable, and that he's annoying to be around.

OutHouse

Lifer
Jun 5, 2000
ive worked with guys like him in the past and i learned the best way to deal with his bullshit stories is to say real loud so others can hear. "you are a liar and I dont give a shit about you or your stupid stories"

the guy is an ass. hitting on a married chick at work? he is lucky that when the chick told her husband he didnt come down and beat him with a bat.

PingSpike

Lifer
Feb 25, 2004
ROFL. WTF is wrong with people like this? Must be a mental dissorder

I'm pretty sure it is. Because no one with half a brain would do this.

Our neighbor used to make shit like this up all the time, and I was friends with a girl in high school that did as well. Eventually you just stop believing anything they say and it kinda doesn't matter what they say anymore. The weird part was neither one of them really lied to make themselves look better, they just made up stupid shit and only half of it was interesting.

MrMatt

Banned
Mar 3, 2009
Epic tale, OP!

Not to nitpick, and, YES, I understand and comprehend that the shit is now hitting the fan for him, but as a former PI, the two snippets below just don't quite fit in to the story as you tell it.

Previously:

Recently:

? Not sure in what way. Basically the girls in our office don't want to get anyone in trouble. They're both young and this is their first job outside of college. The guy wasn't disciplined on Thursday, but apparently after talking it over with upper management it was decided to pursue something against him. I didn't mean the girls at my office didn't actually feel harassed previously, they just didn't want to throw anyone under the bus, as awful as he is. One of the girls said to me "I've only hated 2 people in my entire life, I like EVERYONE. But this guy is one of the 2"

MrMatt

Banned
Mar 3, 2009

Our neighbor used to make shit like this up all the time, and I was friends with a girl in high school that did as well. Eventually you just stop believing anything they say and it kinda doesn't matter what they say anymore. The weird part was neither one of them really lied to make themselves look better, they just made up stupid shit and only half of it was interesting.

haha yeah, this guy is aggrandizing. The weird thing is he TRULY does not get why he's going through this. He sounds like a stalker with the "Oh she must've filed harassment complaints against me because she wants me". Creepy shit.

JTsyo

Lifer
Nov 18, 2007

compulsive liars?

Everyone in OP's office needs to tell HR the truth and get this guy out. Hopefully when they investigate, you guys don't hold back. It seems the guys thinks the OP is his friend, probably going to feel like he's been backstabbed when you talk with HR.

Perknose

Forum Director & Omnipotent Overlord
Forum Director
Oct 9, 1999
? Not sure in what way. Basically the girls in our office don't want to get anyone in trouble. They're both young and this is their first job outside of college. The guy wasn't disciplined on Thursday, but apparently after talking it over with upper management it was decided to pursue something against him. I didn't mean the girls at my office didn't actually feel harassed previously, they just didn't want to throw anyone under the bus, as awful as he is. One of the girls said to me "I've only hated 2 people in my entire life, I like EVERYONE. But this guy is one of the 2"

Fair enough. I just note anomalies when reading people's stories by long force of habit. In fact, I had this tendency long before I ever became a PI. It's part of what made me a good one. The truth may be out there, but it's usually buried in a mass of conflicting stores and intentionally or unintentionally slanted viewpoints.

It generally goes like this: There's your story, the other guy's story, and then there's the "truth."

However, please note, I was not calling shens on you, just pointing out two small anomalies I had noted.

Bryophyte

Lifer
Apr 25, 2001
What ever happened to reporting the guy to HR six months ago? You and your coworkers have yourselves to blame for this hostile and disgusting atmosphere you've been working in.

darkewaffle

Diamond Member
Oct 7, 2005
So this shit went on for over five and a half months? Or was he removed earlier and we're just now getting the update?

KMFJD

Lifer
Aug 11, 2005
haha yeah, this guy is aggrandizing. The weird thing is he TRULY does not get why he's going through this. He sounds like a stalker with the "Oh she must've filed harassment complaints against me because she wants me". Creepy shit.

Why do you put up with him?

Scouzer

Lifer
Jun 3, 2001
What ever happened to reporting the guy to HR six months ago? You and your coworkers have yourselves to blame for this hostile and disgusting atmosphere you've been working in.

+1. Sounds like a terrible place to work.

MrMatt

Banned
Mar 3, 2009

It wasn't in my hands, I reported what he did to the management above me, they said they handled it. Not sure if the girls in the office went to anyone. They were BRAND new when this was going on, like fresh out of college. They may have been scared of losing their jobs.