I think I have the worst coworker in the world.

Page 6 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

MrMatt

Banned
Mar 3, 2009
+1. Sounds like a terrible place to work.

It is a horrible place to work. Hard to describe some of the shit I see that goes on here. Not just with this one guy

So this shit went on for over five and a half months? Or was he removed earlier and we're just now getting the update?

He just got suspended last night. I've been ultra busy with full time school, full time work, part time day-trading, and full-time gf :) I've kept a log of the shit he does, so I'll post some updates when I get time

Perknose

Forum Director & Omnipotent Overlord
Forum Director
Oct 9, 1999
I've been ultra busy with full time school, full time work, part time day-trading, and full-time gf :)

Only part time day trading?

And 5.71 posts a day on AT, each and every day, since March of last year?

So, really, a FULL load of credits at school?

:rolleyes:

MrMatt

Banned
Mar 3, 2009
Only part time day trading?

And 5.71 posts a day on AT, each and every day, since March of last year?

So, really, a FULL load of credits at school?

:rolleyes:

Yes. 5 courses per semester. 5.71 isn't hard. My H&F log probably accounts for 1, and if you've read my posts it's clear I don't put any thought into them.

edit: And I've only had this coworker since December.

GFY :)

PricklyPete

Lifer
Sep 17, 2002
that was an enjoyable read. Sounds like a insecure asshat. I knew a few people like that when I worked for a burger joint over the course of a year in highschool. I still laugh at some of the crazy stories people would tell...and cringe and likely some of them were true.

Ancalagon44

Diamond Member
Feb 17, 2010
But I really am a famous DJ! And a BMX champ!

The guy must have serious issues. Sounds both delusional and incredibly, incredibly insecure. I would actually suggest psychiatric help for him.

MrMatt

Banned
Mar 3, 2009
glad everything worked out. now finish school so you can have some free time.

Yeah I can NOT wait. I have a week off now between summer sessions and I'm doing absolutely nothing but canoodle with my gf. I'm going to enjoy this...

I think its bullshit someone like this has had a job for 6 months

I agree. There's probably 150 people in the area who are unemployed and would actually do a decent job. These people's unemployment is about to run out while this guy takes up space and sexually harasses people.

But I really am a famous DJ! And a BMX champ!

The guy must have serious issues. Sounds both delusional and incredibly, incredibly insecure. I would actually suggest psychiatric help for him.

I'm hoping they make that a stipulation before he returns. I don't want to hear more of the same shit from him when he gets back

bommy261

Golden Member
Dec 17, 2005
sounds like the typical bull shitter one upper to me. pretty much everything that comes outta this guys mouth is bullshit. your boss should fire his retarded ass

MrMatt

Banned
Mar 3, 2009
7/26/2010 UPDATE 2
OK. I seriously think my organization is trying to get shut down. I have a whole thread worth of other sketchy shit to post, but I'll post this first.

So the HR investigation consisted of haphazardly calling the women he's come in contact with at the 3 local programs we have. They also called one guy that works at my home program. Pretty much everyone said that he made them uncomfortable, or if not that, that he was incredibly annoying to work with and said some awful things. There are 5 people at my home program; me, the harasser, one other guy, and two girls. HR talked to the other guy, and one of the girls. They never bothered contacting me or the other girl in any way shape or form, despite the fact that we work with the guy the most.

This drags out for TWO weeks. This screws us over royally as well, since he had signed up for a bunch of OT shifts, and worked a lot of nights, which HAVE to be covered where I work, as he would be the only person at the program for those shifts. Finally I get a message from him. He says that he was cleared of any wrong doing, that the complaints were judged to be 'unfounded'. He's royally pissed though because they told him he can no longer work shifts at the other two programs in our area. He racks up about 45 hours per week in just OT at those other two programs. He can't afford to feed his family with just 40/week at ours, plus a few hours of OT at our program, etc. Here's the best part: They paid him for the two weeks off.

So he comes back, and he's in a pissy mood. He's deluded himself into believing that he's done nothing wrong. He get suspended, they clear him of wrong-doing, pay him for the time off.....and then punish him. That's like being found not-guilty at trial and then going to jail anyway. So he's looking for a new job, and actually takes all of last week off because he hates working there now. I would too.

Seriously though, how the fuck did this happen?? They had multiple people file complaints against him (at least 5). They had all these people falling all over themselves to describe the shit he did. AND THEY FUCKING CLEAR HIM???? But then to make the situation even more fucked up, they punish him anyway?? How is that even remotely possible? I mean....one of my coworkers thinks he's bullshitting and that he didn't get cleared, and I'd agree, but for one fact. The type of shit people were accusing him of was pretty bad. If he was found responsible for doing that shit, they would HAVE to fire him, unless the HR department is grossly negligent. If he's still there, then there's almost a 100% chance he was actually cleared despite a fucking mountain of complaints and witnesses. My best friend's a lawyer and he was dumbfounded by this whole thing. He put it best; "Man...companies do NOT fuck around with sexual harassment, that's one thing that will get you absolutely hammered. If they let him come back and he does it again...that next person in line is going to be able to bend the company over a barrel".....:hmm: time to start wearing lipstick to work.

Ugh.

highland145

Lifer
Oct 12, 2009
This
"Man...companies do NOT fuck around with sexual harassment, that's one thing that will get you absolutely hammered. If they let him come back and he does it again...that next person in line is going to be able to bend the company over a barrel"

MrMatt

Banned
Mar 3, 2009
People must not have been telling the whole truth to the people doing the investigation.

I dunno...I mean....this wasn't one person saying they were uncomfortable. It was multiple people saying that at multiple times this one guy had made them uncomfortable with words, stories, actions, touching...I mean...shit.

Wyndru

Diamond Member
Apr 9, 2009
:eek: Wow, I missed this thread too. It seems too crazy to be true. Usually this stuff gets squashed quick and the dude would be gone in a hurry. Odd that it has dragged on for so long, seriously newsworthy. Do you have any of those investigative style news broadcasts in your area? They would gobble this shit up in a second.

D1gger

Diamond Member
Oct 3, 2004
People must not have been telling the whole truth to the people doing the investigation.

I agree with this. The co-workers may have said they were uncomfortable around him and how annoying he was, but being annoying and weird isn't enough grounds for HR to fire him.

They may have beleived there was a problem, but did not have enough proof to fire him without the risk of a wrongful dismissal suit from him.

As for the "punishment" how is telling him that they are only going to assign him to one location at 40 hours a week a punishment? The withdrawl of the extra work that he volunteered for at other locations doesn't change his status as a full time employee, so this is likely the most the company can do without risk from him filing a legal claim.

Phokus

Lifer
Nov 20, 1999
Seriously though, how the fuck did this happen?? They had multiple people file complaints against him (at least 5). They had all these people falling all over themselves to describe the shit he did. AND THEY FUCKING CLEAR HIM????

Welcome to corporate america!

Apple Of Sodom

Golden Member
Oct 7, 2007
I dunno...I mean....this wasn't one person saying they were uncomfortable. It was multiple people saying that at multiple times this one guy had made them uncomfortable with words, stories, actions, touching...I mean...shit.

But there is a huge difference between "I don't like him and he tells inappropriate stories and makes me uncomfortable" and "he is sexually harassing me." If people downplayed it and just said "I don't like him and he is annoying" then I can see why sexual harassment wasn't levied against him.

People misunderstand sexual harassment. It is the unwelcome advances, touching, conversation that makes it harassment. Telling a sex joke isn't sexual harassment until someone says "those types of jokes make me uncomfortable. Please stop."

MrMatt

Banned
Mar 3, 2009
I agree with this. The co-workers may have said they were uncomfortable around him and how annoying he was, but being annoying and weird isn't enough grounds for HR to fire him.

They may have beleived there was a problem, but did not have enough proof to fire him without the risk of a wrongful dismissal suit from him.

As for the "punishment" how is telling him that they are only going to assign him to one location at 40 hours a week a punishment? The withdrawl of the extra work that he volunteered for at other locations doesn't change his status as a full time employee, so this is likely the most the company can do without risk from him filing a legal claim.

Hmmm. We're all at-will employees though, not sure how far a wrongful dismissal suit would go.

This whole shebang got started because multiple girls came forward though, that's what I don't understand. They didn't say 'oh he's annoying' they specifically said what he did. He even told me some of what they were saying. That's why they had that talk with him (when I thought he was getting off the hook easily) and then when HR got a whiff of it, they suspended him to investigate. Unless all the girls recanted their stories they had already made to management, I'm not sure how he got out of this one.