I Don't Know If Joe Can Do It

Page 79 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

brycejones

Lifer
Oct 18, 2005
If I owned any shares of his fund I would immediately dump them after reading that, haha. Also, the article gets several basic facts wrong, which makes me question the knowledge or intelligence of the author. For example they claim polls had Clinton winning in a landslide and that’s just...entirely wrong.

Regardless, if he truly believes the polls are meaningless then the election is a coin flip. That means he should be buying large amounts of shares in sectors that would benefit from a Trump win because the market is pricing in a likely loss. I bet he’s not doing this because he’s full of shit.
You don't look to a Canadian on Shark Tank as an expert on US polling and politics? But he said the words that made gothuevos feel so warm inside so they must be true.

ecogen

Golden Member
Dec 24, 2016
Not sure about that...the enthusiasm at his rallies (from what we can see) is off the charts. People flock to see him even in Democratic strongholds. Rallies through Beverly Hills for crying out loud.

I'm not saying this one gaffe makes him senile. But man, the GOP knows optics. This, plus abrupt comments about ending oil, "I meant no fracking on FEDERAL lands," etc are all death by a thousand cuts and how you blow a 4th quarter lead.

And I believe Kevin O'Leary when he says pollsters are irrelevant...I fully expect a bunch of surprises next week...

Hoping you've put some money on Trump winning, should make for some easy gains considering how sure you seem to be.

gothuevos

Golden Member
Jul 28, 2010
Hoping you've put some money on Trump winning, should make for some easy gains considering how sure you seem to be.

That's the thing - I'm not so sure. I'm just sure it's higher than what everybody is giving him right now. Probably as good if not better than last time.

it's everyone else who is so sure he's going to lose that is concerning, IMO.

MrSquished

Lifer
Jan 14, 2013
I would never dream of going to a Biden rally, pandemic or not. Neither would pretty much any Democrat or progressive I know. But they are all voting this year. Against Trump.

Keep in mind Obama was very popular but you didn't see Obama parades and the such either. We are reasonable thinking humans, not a cult. But we vote.

I'm still concerned about Trump winning. But I try to keep these things in mind too.

Reactions: gothuevos

Jhhnn

IN MEMORIAM
Nov 11, 1999
Not sure about that...the enthusiasm at his rallies (from what we can see) is off the charts. People flock to see him even in Democratic strongholds. Rallies through Beverly Hills for crying out loud.

Yep. He's staging pandemic superspreader events all over the country, starting in the Rose Garden, & we're supposed to believe he gives a fuck about anything or anybody other than himself & winning the election. It's actually horrifying if you think about it much at all.

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
That's the thing - I'm not so sure. I'm just sure it's higher than what everybody is giving him right now. Probably as good if not better than last time.

What’s your basis for this though? Is it his rallies? If so, can you explain why his rallies were super packed in 2018 en route to a blowout loss?

chowderhead

Platinum Member
Dec 7, 1999

Zorba

Lifer
Oct 22, 1999

Zorba

Lifer
Oct 22, 1999
I would never dream of going to a Biden rally, pandemic or not. Neither would pretty much any Democrat or progressive I know. But they are all voting this year. Against Trump.

Keep in mind Obama was very popular but you didn't see Obama parades and the such either. We are reasonable thinking humans, not a cult. But we vote.

I'm still concerned about Trump winning. But I try to keep these things in mind too.
Yeah, I went to a rally for Obama in 2008. Lot's of people there, but only a maybe 100 who were "all-in" and that was too much for me. I don't like treating our politicians like cult leaders or star athletes. Obviously, there was a lot of excitement for Obama in 2008.

Reactions: ivwshane

ralfy

Jul 22, 2013
I'm sorry, but this is an equivocating cop-out. There's no question that removing Trump is the top priority for all voters. Otherwise, what's left of US government will make the "neocon-neoliberal establishment" seem utopian.

Please vote for Biden, and do it early. If you vote third-party or refuse to vote in this election, you're explicitly endorsing Trump and authoritarianism.

I don't think you understand what the term means. Neo-conservatism refers to the use of the military, foreign policies, and covert activities to control other countries. Neo-liberalism refers to the use of deregulation to enrich the local elite and onerous loan and foreign aid agreements to control other countries. Both phenomena are connected to each other and are used to make the rich richer, involve both political parties and government officials who have been operating across multiple admins, and have been in place since the Reagan administration.

That's why Bush engaged in warmongering and bailed out the rich, and Obama continued the same, with the rich recovering from bailouts at the expense of the public, profited from a rigged stock market, and feasted on the misery of other countries. Obama's allies, including Biden, and even the Republicans who purportedly support Trump, will likely want and do the same.

ecogen

Golden Member
Dec 24, 2016

Based on what? Your ass?

No one here is sure he's going to lose, but we do recognize he's a massive underdog.

Commodus

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 2004
I don't think you understand what the term means. Neo-conservatism refers to the use of the military, foreign policies, and covert activities to control other countries. Neo-liberalism refers to the use of deregulation to enrich the local elite and onerous loan and foreign aid agreements to control other countries. Both phenomena are connected to each other and are used to make the rich richer, involve both political parties and government officials who have been operating across multiple admins, and have been in place since the Reagan administration.

That's why Bush engaged in warmongering and bailed out the rich, and Obama continued the same, with the rich recovering from bailouts at the expense of the public, profited from a rigged stock market, and feasted on the misery of other countries. Obama's allies, including Biden, and even the Republicans who purportedly support Trump, will likely want and do the same.

I'm explicitly familiar with both of those concepts, and my point remains completely unchanged. Neocons and neolibs aren't great; what's much, much worse is a leader eroding the very basics of democracy and the rule of law, and who genuinely believes the US government should be his personal puppet.

Biden would at least ensure there's a government left to reform by 2024. Trump has already made a shambles of things, and he's doing many of the things you've just complained about, to boot (enriching elites, reckless deregulation, making other countries suffer). If Trump gets another four years... well, if the US recovers it'll be in spite of him, not because of him.

As I like to put it: smashing the system only matters if you have a viable plan to replace it. Biden would at least restore some of the fundamentals, like lawfulness, responsible regulation and a respect for science. Trump has no plan at all... well, aside from paying off his debts at the public's expense.

nOOky

Platinum Member
Aug 17, 2004
Oh you're that guy concerned about Biden's gaffes. Yep Biden has his share of gaffes. How do his gaffes compare to Trumps? Show your work.

What Trump says doesn't matter, no matter how fucking nuts. But Joe is expected to be perfect, or it raises serious doubts about his ability to lead. Trump has more American flags waving at his events, he has the verbiage tailored to the deplorable voters, and he has the ability to make pointing out incorrect statements about his rivals seem like some sort of a strategy going forward for the country. When in fact it will only be more grifting, more losing, more DJT.

hal2kilo

Lifer
Feb 24, 2009

I'm not saying this one gaffe makes him senile. But man, the GOP knows optics. This, plus abrupt comments about ending oil, "I meant no fracking on FEDERAL lands," etc are all death by a thousand cuts and how you blow a 4th quarter lead.

And I believe Kevin O'Leary when he says pollsters are irrelevant...I fully expect a bunch of surprises next week...

You think anybody who does not like Trump, goes to his rally's?

vi edit

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Oct 28, 1999
Rallies. God. As if that was even a meaningful metric. Trump is hemorrhaging college educated whites, suburban women, and the 65+ crowd. These people aren't going to Biden rallies. They are going to the post office or polling booth and voting for Joe.

That's the only meaningful metric.

Reactions: uclaLabrat

Wreckem

Diamond Member
Sep 23, 2006
The day has come. Texas has officially been declared a toss up for the Presidential race based on 7 day polling averages.

Control for the Texas State House has also been listed as a toss up.

The staggering and growing vote count, the number of first time voters the majority of which are coming from blue counties and a huge increase in minority voter registration & turnout has got to be giving the GOP heartburn.

Not saying Texas will flip but it just shows how hard the map will be for the GOP on Election Day if they are struggling in a previously deep red state.

Wreckem

Diamond Member
Sep 23, 2006
Senate polling is fairly brutal for the GOP. There’s a chance Dems could flip both Georgia seats on election night. Its a small chance(about the same as Trump getting re-elected) thet Warnock could hit 50% and avoid the runoff in Feb. Ossoff is starting pull ahead as well. Cunningham took a slight bit but is still leading. Harrison is in good shape to beat Graham. Ernst is in serious trouble after her disaster last week. Kansas is in play. Alaska is in play. Montana is tightening.

Warnock and Kelly would both take their Senate seats in November If they win.

Reactions: alexruiz

ralfy

Jul 22, 2013
I'm explicitly familiar with both of those concepts, and my point remains completely unchanged. Neocons and neolibs aren't great; what's much, much worse is a leader eroding the very basics of democracy and the rule of law, and who genuinely believes the US government should be his personal puppet.

Biden would at least ensure there's a government left to reform by 2024. Trump has already made a shambles of things, and he's doing many of the things you've just complained about, to boot (enriching elites, reckless deregulation, making other countries suffer). If Trump gets another four years... well, if the US recovers it'll be in spite of him, not because of him.

As I like to put it: smashing the system only matters if you have a viable plan to replace it. Biden would at least restore some of the fundamentals, like lawfulness, responsible regulation and a respect for science. Trump has no plan at all... well, aside from paying off his debts at the public's expense.

If you're familiar with those concepts, then you should also know that both have been "eroding the very basics of democracy and the rule of law" for decades, and that Biden is part of the same groups of politicians engaged in such.

Indus

Lifer
May 11, 2002
I'm still really nervous. PA has me really worried.

Zmd4o

Last edited: