I Don't Know If Joe Can Do It

Page 78 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

ivwshane

Lifer
May 15, 2000

The word that doesn’t make sense is “precipitously” as one point drop would hardly be called steep decline. In fact as the race gets closer to finishing it is typical that the race gets tighter. Now if he dropped five points? Yeah, that’s a steep drop, at three points you might be pushing it and I probably wouldn’t have given it any thought but a little more than a point drop? Not a big deal.

Reactions: alien42

ivwshane

Lifer
May 15, 2000
I understand not wanting a repeat of 2016, but WAY too many people here panic at a moment's notice.

It’s been a pretty shitty year universally and I can understand why their level of anxiety is up. Trump is like the straw that broke the camels back and I feel lost of the country wants to tell the guy, just shut the the fuck up!

Roger Wilco

Diamond Member
Mar 20, 2017
The word that doesn’t make sense is “precipitously” as one point drop would hardly be called steep decline. In fact as the race gets closer to finishing it is typical that the race gets tighter. Now if he dropped five points? Yeah, that’s a steep drop, at three points you might be pushing it and I probably wouldn’t have given it any thought but a little more than a point drop? Not a big deal.

I noticed that Biden’s lead fell by about 15% (10.7 to 9.2) in just a few days, so that concerned me. I am not trying to be an alarmist or anything; I’m just trying to learn how to read the data and not freak out.

sportage

Lifer
Feb 1, 2008
The number one conclusion that I will take from this election is not so much Trump or Biden but where America itself stands. I really need to know if America has permanently gone over to the dark side, or what? Is this the new America that is so self centered and so selfish that protecting the planet no longer matters? Pollute and destroy what we have and let the kids of tomorrow worry about fixing it? And where a simple thing like wearing a mask is not thought of as protecting others, but instead as inconveniencing ones self? Some of them you can call ignorant and uneducated, others you can call spoiled selfish brats. However, all of them you can call as Donald Trump's base. Ignorance loves Donald Trump, laziness loves Donald Trump, spoiled brats love Donald Trump. My question is, have they now become our main stream America? We shall see in a few days.....

Reactions: Amused

gothuevos

Golden Member
Jul 28, 2010
What's everyone's take on Biden's camp pushing into Texas and Georgia this week, and Trump visiting the NE area and pulling all adds from the rust belt a few weeks ago?

Obviously both camps' internal polling is telling them something, just interesting how they seem to be at opposite ends. I know most people say Trump is just low on cash and had to pull out of the rust belt, but what if internal polling showed him doing really well there and they pulled out for that reason instead? I still think he may surprise in either WI and/or MN.

Feels like a mistake for Biden and the Dems to ignore/take for granted the rust belt again and instead campaign in long shot Texas and Georgia. Yes, I know the "polls" are close but let's be real, it's not happening this election cycle. Feels like 2016 missteps are happening all over again.

K1052

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2003
What's everyone's take on Biden's camp pushing into Texas and Georgia this week, and Trump visiting the NE area and pulling all adds from the rust belt a few weeks ago?

Obviously both camps' internal polling is telling them something, just interesting how they seem to be at opposite ends. I know most people say Trump is just low on cash and had to pull out of the rust belt, but what if internal polling showed him doing really well there and they pulled out for that reason instead? I still think he may surprise in either WI and/or MN.

Feels like a mistake for Biden and the Dems to ignore/take for granted the rust belt again and instead campaign in long shot Texas and Georgia. Yes, I know the "polls" are close but let's be real, it's not happening this election cycle. Feels like 2016 missteps are happening all over again.

I mean other than lavishing attention and campaign spending that dwarfs Trump's in the rust belt as much as 3:1 in some spots is pretty much ignoring it I guess. Biden has practically taken up residency in PA this cycle.

Trump could always win but pretending this election is a carbon copy of 2016 is just pure fantasy.

brycejones

Lifer
Oct 18, 2005

How specifically are the Democrats taking the rust belt for granted? Please show your work.

Thump553

Lifer
Jun 2, 2000
Given what happened in 2016 (yet another minority win GOP Pres, by the slimmest of margins too boot), how Trump has skated by scandals that would destroy anyone else, how much support he still has despite horrendous performance, etc., his constant railing against the election process itself, etc., it is hard not to be nervous until this is over.

Personally I'm expecting (but not liking) the inevitable narrowing of polls as election approaches. I'm also expecting election day poll turnout to be skewed GOP because of COVID deniers but given a last minute steal of the election process by Trump's newly stacked Supreme Court, I remain cautiously optimistic.

Reactions: manly

eelw

Diamond Member
Dec 4, 1999

But the thing is, at this point do people who goto rallies even need convincing? That small slice of undecided are not this MAGA or this drive thru crowd. They have already chosen or even voted.

People knew they hated Hillary in the last weeks of the election. So her not going to visit their state, doubt it made a huge difference.

Indus

Lifer
May 11, 2002
Given what happened in 2016 (yet another minority win GOP Pres, by the slimmest of margins too boot), how Trump has skated by scandals that would destroy anyone else, how much support he still has despite horrendous performance, etc., his constant railing against the election process itself, etc., it is hard not to be nervous until this is over.

Personally I'm expecting (but not liking) the inevitable narrowing of polls as election approaches. I'm also expecting election day poll turnout to be skewed GOP because of COVID deniers but given a last minute steal of the election process by Trump's newly stacked Supreme Court, I remain cautiously optimistic.

Was talking to a friend who lives in a very Trumpy part of the state and asked her if she had done early voting.. she said no she lives in a Trumpanzee area so she's afraid of her early ballot being thrown in the trash so she'll do the long queues on nov 3.

Indus

Lifer
May 11, 2002
The number one conclusion that I will take from this election is not so much Trump or Biden but where America itself stands. I really need to know if America has permanently gone over to the dark side, or what? Is this the new America that is so self centered and so selfish that protecting the planet no longer matters? Pollute and destroy what we have and let the kids of tomorrow worry about fixing it? And where a simple thing like wearing a mask is not thought of as protecting others, but instead as inconveniencing ones self? Some of them you can call ignorant and uneducated, others you can call spoiled selfish brats. However, all of them you can call as Donald Trump's base. Ignorance loves Donald Trump, laziness loves Donald Trump, spoiled brats love Donald Trump. My question is, have they now become our main stream America? We shall see in a few days.....

It may or may not be main stream but it's a quite a big unhealthy niche of it.

Reactions: hal2kilo and ondma

K1052

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2003
He's in PA again today and just said that he's going to Iowa, Wisconsin, Georgia, and Florida (at least).

gothuevos

Golden Member
Jul 28, 2010
The whole "George" gaffe...even with the explanation and NBC's apologies, still not a flattering look for Biden. All while Trump hosts 3 rallies a day and Biden puts a lid on the day early.
Does it make one a better/worse candidate? Who knows, but it sure is how you win the optics game.

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
The whole "George" gaffe...even with the explanation and NBC's apologies, still not a flattering look for Biden. All while Trump hosts 3 rallies a day and Biden puts a lid on the day early.
Does it make one a better/worse candidate? Who knows, but it sure is how you win the optics game.
The more people see of Trump the less they like him. The more rallies he does the more support he loses.

Zorba

Lifer
Oct 22, 1999
Oh noes one gaffe!!!

Trump has so many gaffes per sentence there is no way to even document them all.

gothuevos

Golden Member
Jul 28, 2010
The more people see of Trump the less they like him. The more rallies he does the more support he loses.

Not sure about that...the enthusiasm at his rallies (from what we can see) is off the charts. People flock to see him even in Democratic strongholds. Rallies through Beverly Hills for crying out loud.

I'm not saying this one gaffe makes him senile. But man, the GOP knows optics. This, plus abrupt comments about ending oil, "I meant no fracking on FEDERAL lands," etc are all death by a thousand cuts and how you blow a 4th quarter lead.

And I believe Kevin O'Leary when he says pollsters are irrelevant...I fully expect a bunch of surprises next week...

brycejones

Lifer
Oct 18, 2005
Not sure about that...the enthusiasm at his rallies (from what we can see) is off the charts. People flock to see him even in Democratic strongholds. Rallies through Beverly Hills for crying out loud.

I'm not saying this one gaffe makes him senile. But man, the GOP knows optics. This, plus abrupt comments about ending oil, "I meant no fracking on FEDERAL lands," etc are all death by a thousand cuts and how you blow a 4th quarter lead.

And I believe Kevin O'Leary when he says pollsters are irrelevant...I fully expect a bunch of surprises next week...

Have you explained yet how the Democrats are taking the rust belt for granted? Or are we ignoring that and moving on to gaffes?

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006

If I owned any shares of his fund I would immediately dump them after reading that, haha. Also, the article gets several basic facts wrong, which makes me question the knowledge or intelligence of the author. For example they claim polls had Clinton winning in a landslide and that’s just...entirely wrong.

Regardless, if he truly believes the polls are meaningless then the election is a coin flip. That means he should be buying large amounts of shares in sectors that would benefit from a Trump win because the market is pricing in a likely loss. I bet he’s not doing this because he’s full of shit.

Reactions: Meghan54