How are we supposed to keep up with the prison population,

Page 5 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Nov 25, 2013
when executions are on the decline?

Texas, the nations leader in putting people to death has seen a decline in executions.

http://www.theatlantic.com/national/archive/2014/10/texas-death-penalty-executions/382057/

If we keep sending people to prison for life, or even for decades, we will have to build more prisons.

How about this, when someone is sentenced to death, someone else is executed to make room? It would be like balancing a checkbook. We can only afford to care for X number of inmates. Lets say 10k inmates. When hit 10k + 1, someone has to go to make room.

Maybe liberals would be willing to pay more in taxes to take care of people in prison? Send out a questionnaire, if you oppose the death penalty your taxes go up 10%.

If you oppose the death penalty, surely you will not mind paying more in taxes to house the criminals?

I know, lets streamline the appeals process so that the appeals on takes a few minutes rather than years?

Started drinking early today?

Nov 25, 2013

AyashiKaibutsu

Diamond Member
Jan 24, 2004
I do not think Soviet Russia exists.

Russia might.
And China also has a efficient death penalty system.

As well as multiple Muslim countries and organizations (Hamas/ISIS)

I was aware. That's why I specified Soviet Russia rather than just Russia. Did you think I was being literally serious?

Nov 25, 2013
That is why we need to expand the death penalty.

Oh for the good old days

"On 7th October 1769 widow Jane Whitfield confessed to a magistrate that earlier the same day Joseph Waller came to her house to search for 35 yards of linen stolen from his bleaching croft three weeks earlier. The goods had been discovered and Jane stated that her son Richard had brought the linen to her.

At the same time her son Richard Whitfield, a servant to Joseph Waller, confessed that his mother had advised him to take the linen back to his master but he had refused.

Richard Whitfield was subsequently convicted of theft and his mother of receiving stolen goods at the City of York assizes held in April 1770. Both were sentenced to death at the sessions presided over by Mr Justice Gould."

http://c18thgirl.blogspot.ca/2013/05/mothers-and-sons-theft-and-death-penalty.html

AyashiKaibutsu

Diamond Member
Jan 24, 2004
I swear, the left refers to Reagan as a God-like figure much more than the right...

They refer to the way Reagan is treated as a god-like person by people like you... Kind of the way you wish so hard the left would treat Obama, but doesn't.

lopri

Elite Member
Jul 27, 2002
My proposal is we broadcast every execution live on YouTube and ABC. It should be a required viewing especially for school children if we want it to have any sort of deterrent effect against underlying crimes. State should make public all the participants before/during/after an execution. It is a matter of government transparency.

alzan

Diamond Member
May 21, 2003
Dang, I guess TexasShrieker's tug job fell threw, and he wanted so badly to feel the spray on his face.

Hugo Drax

Diamond Member
Nov 20, 2011
If we as of today initiated summary execution of everyone in prison with gang tattoos. We would chop our prison population by half.

Also drive by and collect anyone with gang tattoos and initiate summary execution.

I bet society would be better off.

Feb 6, 2007
If we as of today initiated summary execution of everyone in prison with gang tattoos. We would chop our prison population by half.

Also drive by and collect anyone with gang tattoos and initiate summary execution.

I bet society would be better off.

As long as we're summarily executing people for their ties to organizations society would be better off without, can we agree to throw in anyone who votes straight party line without knowing a thing about the actual candidates? We're never going to get better candidates in office as long as the majority of voters are voting for a letter instead of a person.

MovingTarget

Diamond Member
Jun 22, 2003
Abortion is murder - life should be respected at all costs.

,.. we need more executions.

Seriously, Pro-Life my arse. Nothing horrified me more about the GOP than when the crowd at the last primary debates cheered Rick Perry when he stated that Texas had executed more criminals than any other state.

Capital punishment is a disgrace. The rest of the first world has abandoned it for good reason. Sure, it feels nice to use Aquinas' old "gangrenous limb" argument, but cases where the use of capital punishment that rise to that level are so rare as to be effectively nonexistent. It has been shown time and again that it isn't even an effective deterrent.

UberNeuman

Lifer
Nov 4, 1999
I don't understand why the OP is so hung ho over executions and so anti-abortion.

After all, an execution is only a really, really late term abortion..

Zodiark1593

Platinum Member
Oct 21, 2012
I'd be fully on board with expediated mass-excecution of violent criminals, if we could somehow drop false convictions to 0%. As it stands, my opinion is better violent criminals be freed than an innocent be put to death by our justice system, as the later scenario constitutes direct betrayal by your own country.

piasabird

Lifer
Feb 6, 2002
Force them into the military in lieu of prison.

What happens when your sister or mother gets killed by one of the murdering prisoners?

Just put the all the criminals in 6' square cube cell and drop in food pellets down a shute. That is about all some criminals deserve.

Send them to a mine or make them work as meat cutters.

Last edited:

Rakehellion

Lifer
Jan 15, 2013
Executions do not reduce crime in any way whatsoever. They're just a form of entertainment for sociopaths.

Rakehellion

Lifer
Jan 15, 2013
But if they dod expand the death penalty, you'd see a lot more police getting gunned down by people not wanting to be taken into custody.