How are we supposed to keep up with the prison population,

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Jhhnn

IN MEMORIAM
Nov 11, 1999
Crybaby liberals prevent us from having an efficient and cost effective death penalty process.

Remove the liberal flailing and the death penalty would be a lot more cost effective.

It's commonly referred to as "due process". Remove the death penalty and we'd engage in a lot less of it.

Perhaps that's too simple.

The death penalty is retained in countries where the leadership uses it to pander to the bloodlust of self righteous & vindictive assholes who don't care how much it costs or how capriciously & unjustly it might be applied. It fits right in with Texas machismo idiocy- "It takes Balls to execute an innocent man!" being the operative headset. They're primitives.

WHAMPOM

Diamond Member
Feb 28, 2006
when executions are on the decline?

Texas, the nations leader in putting people to death has seen a decline in executions.

http://www.theatlantic.com/national/archive/2014/10/texas-death-penalty-executions/382057/

If we keep sending people to prison for life, or even for decades, we will have to build more prisons.

How about this, when someone is sentenced to death, someone else is executed to make room? It would be like balancing a checkbook. We can only afford to care for X number of inmates. Lets say 10k inmates. When hit 10k + 1, someone has to go to make room.

Maybe liberals would be willing to pay more in taxes to take care of people in prison? Send out a questionnaire, if you oppose the death penalty your taxes go up 10%.

If you oppose the death penalty, surely you will not mind paying more in taxes to house the criminals?

I know, lets streamline the appeals process so that the appeals on takes a few minutes rather than years?

And cut into the profits of the prison industry? You some kinda Commie pinko brain-dead Capitalist America hating liberal? Don't even suggest cutting the present prison population in half by giving low level drug users probation with treatment. Don't you do it!

TheSlamma

Diamond Member
Sep 6, 2005
See below.

See there, that is 130k people that could be on death row.

Anyone who sells crack to a pregnant woman deserves to be put to death.

You cannot be like this IRL are you? Has to be a pretty powerful filter you run

Texashiker

Lifer
Dec 18, 2010
You cannot be like this IRL are you? Has to be a pretty powerful filter you run

I love and respect life. I cried like a baby when my wifes rooster passed away.

But then again, it is difficult to care for people who harm others.

The people who are in and out of prison their whole lives, what good do they serve? There are people out there who will never contribute anything but sorrow to society.

TheSlamma

Diamond Member
Sep 6, 2005
I love and respect life. I cried like a baby when my wifes rooster passed away.

But then again, it is difficult to care for people who harm others.

The people who are in and out of prison their whole lives, what good do they serve? There are people out there who will never contribute anything but sorrow to society.

Being from a household with parents who had addictions I agree and have an utmost hatred for drug dealers after they trash a families lives. So I see where you come from on harming others, for me I just don't want to push my emotions into the equation though of ending lives just to save money. I'm actually for the death penalty in certain crimes but I want to make sure it's due the severity of the crime and not based on money. Especially government backed money that means nothing to me. While I am very good with my money it's only because I feel I play the game right and it's a crappy fact of life, I just don't believe in money enought that it should influence politics. I actually find it toxic when it does

Rakehellion

Lifer
Jan 15, 2013
Take the baby away and make her pay child support for 18 years.

If she does not pay support, throw her in prison.

And her baby who's born with a crack addiction, what happens when he starts smoking crack at age 12? Lock him up too?

Feb 6, 2007
In Texashiker's mind, "kill everyone except the unborn child" is the appropriate way to deal with crime. Typical soft-on-crime liberal bullshit. If you leave the unborn child alone, it's got the same criminal genes as the mother! We need to salt the Earth. Kill every man, woman and child within three degrees of relation to the accused. I realize in Texas this might drop the rural population to zero in about 15 minutes, but we CANNOT abide potential criminals existing in jail cells when they could be burning in Hell.

Texashiker

Lifer
Dec 18, 2010
Or if she's under the time limit she could get an abortion funded by your tax dollars

When I am in charge all that is going to change.

And her baby who's born with a crack addiction, what happens when he starts smoking crack at age 12? Lock him up too?

When I am in charge I am going to fix all of that.

Lets start with death penalty for people making and importing crack.

TheSlamma

Diamond Member
Sep 6, 2005
Abortion providers would be a nice addition.

But that is unlikely.
so basically everyone gets a chance to grow up to be a good Christian fiscal conservative but if they become anything else then perform a delayed abortion?

Texashiker

Lifer
Dec 18, 2010
The only thing you're going to be in charge of is the intarweb piss and moan squad.

Just wait until I am in charge, you'll see.

so basically everyone gets a chance to grow up to be a good Christian fiscal conservative but if they become anything else then perform a delayed abortion?

I leave religion out of my post.

Basically, everyone gets to grow up and take responsibility for their actions. How someone does in life is entirely up to them.

Want to stay out of jail and not get ass raped? Do not break the law.

Hayabusa Rider

Admin Emeritus & Elite Member
Jan 26, 2000
Only because of the crybaby liberals.

Since you are advocating the widespread killing of prisoners, it would only be natural that you would know how many that would be. How many is it? Certainly if the idea is to "keep up" with the prison population just how much of a difference are we talking? Numbers, please.

BurnItDwn

Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
part of the solution is to reduce the number of people being sentenced, and shorter sentences for nonviolent crimes.

Also, death penalty is useless and IMO immoral since it is pretty much impossible to be 100% sure somebody who was convicted was actually guilty.

Hayabusa Rider

Admin Emeritus & Elite Member
Jan 26, 2000
What is the top position in this new world called? Chancellor?

I have an idea. Since death has no recall there is no justice for the innocent who was charged. So to mitigate this somewhat I suggest we hire TX as executioner, with the authority to convert the sentence to life imprisonment.

Why would I suggest this? Ahh, there is a catch. If it should turn out that an innocent person died then he dies a slow and exceedingly cruel and painful death. Since we've abandoned everything but bean counting as he'd have it, it would be perfectly fitting.

I wonder if he'd think twice?

DrPizza

Administrator Elite Member Goat Whisperer
Mar 5, 2001
www.slatebrookfarm.com
Here are some statistics. If the death penalty is a deterrent, then how do you explain that in general, the states WITH the death penalty also have higher murder rates? Of the 10 states with the highest murder rates, only 1 doesn't have the death penalty. Of the 10 states with the lowest murder rates, the majority do NOT have the death penalty.

http://www.deathpenaltyinfo.org/murder-rates-nationally-and-state

It must simply be that Texans are more violent than the people in Vermont, Iowa, Minnesota, Massachusetts, Maine, and Hawaii. More than 3 times the murder rate in Texas than in some of these other states.

In 2012, the average murder rate of death penalty states was 4.7 murders per 100,000 people. For states without the death penalty, it was only 3.7 murders.

Texas, which is among the states with the highest murder rates, has a much higher execution rate than other states. Is it simply that Texans are naturally more violent? Or do they just make more dumb decisions? (anecdotal evidence joke omitted)