Here is how controlling the post office can steal the election

Page 7 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Jhhnn

IN MEMORIAM
Nov 11, 1999
The damage has arguably been done. Between the drop boxes and sorting machines, and damaged public perception, how many do you think won't vote by mail that would have? We saw in 2016 it only takes the right thousands of people to swing a state, not millions.

Forewarned is forearmed. People will use local election drop boxes & deliver ballots in person. Local boards will have people waiting at the curb to take your ballot. They'll vote early. They'll mail it back the same day they get it. I'm also sure USPS people will bend the rules to deliver every ballot they can, too. Funny how ballots end up at the top of the pile.

K1052

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2003
There'll be some of that, sure. But most of the damage will be to urban areas. So if you've dissuaded more blue votes than red, it's a win.

I’m not sure that the assumption his tactics will drive down Democratic suburban and urban turnout is well founded. The primaries thus far do not indicate this. The effect may be the opposite.

Fenixgoon

Lifer
Jun 30, 2003
I’m not sure that the assumption his tactics will drive down Democratic suburban and urban turnout is well founded. The primaries thus far do not indicate this. The effect may be the opposite.

I think there are good odds. You don't try to mess with USPS just before an election for no reason. Americans may be dumb, but on the whole I don't think we're *that* dumb

Reactions: DarthKyrie

interchange

Diamond Member
Oct 10, 1999

I believe the most likely thing to thwart Trump's attempts to interfere with this election is his own incompetence.

Lanyap

Elite Member
Dec 23, 2000
Good advice for people who feel unsafe about voting in person but now fear the USPS will be unable to deliver a “mail-in” ballot in a timely fashion.
There is a way around it:
1. Request a mail-in ballot.
2. Do not mail it.
3. Google your supervisor of elections to see where you can drop off your mail-in ballot. Its usually NOT THE POLLING PLACE. All states allow this!
Here is what you're accomplishing by doing this:
1. You're not relying on the USPS to get your ballot in on time, so no matter what, your ballot gets in on time.
2. You don't have to worry about standing in long lines and risking infection. You're just stopping by to drop it off.
3. You still voted! Hooray!
Also, when you drop it off find out how to track it online to make sure it is verified. California, Oregon, Washington Colorado have systems that can track your ballot just like tracking a package from Amazon.

In Florida you can drop off your mail in ballot at the early polling stations.

Make sure your signature is up to date with the local elections office. If you are not sure then check on what you need to do to make sure it matches your ballot.

BUTCH1

Lifer
Jul 15, 2000
Why is the US Postal Service Broke?

The stupidest law ever written and passed. And yes it was a Republican Controlled Congess at the time.

But, according to James O’Rourke, professor of management at the University of Notre Dame’s Mendoza College of Business, the postal service’s money troubles have little to do with low prices and much more to do with a stifling congressional mandate.

“The Trump administration is mistaken about its claim that the postal service is losing money ‘every time they hand out a package for Amazon and other Internet companies,’” O’Rourke said. “The current agreement with Amazon, and presumably other online merchants, is, at the very least, a break-even arrangement. The reason the postal service is losing money is because of a congressionally mandated retirement healthcare funding program that no other government agency is required to observe. This creates a $6.5 billion annual shortfall that could easily be avoided.”

Then there is the Postal Accountability and Enhancement Act of 2006 (PAEA), which some have taken to calling "the most insane law" ever passed by Congress. The law requires the Postal Service, which receives no taxpayer subsidies, to prefund its retirees' health benefits up to the year 2056. This is a $5 billion per year cost; it is a requirement that no other entity, private or public, has to make. If that doesn't meet the definition of insanity, I don't know what does. Without this obligation, the Post Office actually turns a profit.

Congress needs to fix the Postal Service. Their biggest issue isn't Trump, it's Congress. Screw Fedex and UPS lobbiest and all.
Even more aggravating is this,
"That was the cost of getting the bill through,” Davis said. The Bush administration used the revenue it gained to help balance the budget. "
So the $5 billion/yr isn't even being set aside, Jesus this is just nuts, thing is those rural voters will suffer the most and that is usually a GOP strong sector, if they ever find out what's really happened they will vote Dem just for spite.

DarthKyrie

Golden Member
Jul 11, 2016
Even more aggravating is this,
"That was the cost of getting the bill through,” Davis said. The Bush administration used the revenue it gained to help balance the budget. "
So the $5 billion/yr isn't even being set aside, Jesus this is just nuts, thing is those rural voters will suffer the most and that is usually a GOP strong sector, if they ever find out what's really happened they will vote Dem just for spite.

I doubt they will vote Dem, the Dems will get the blame for the shit that the GOP does just as they always do.

ElFenix

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Mar 20, 2000
(responding here instead of cluttering up the meme thread)
The USPS is a service (hint: It's in its name) Unites States Postal Service.
Services are not self sufficient organizations, examples:
  • The US Army, Navy, Marines, Air Force, Coast Guard, and National Guard
  • The Fire Departments across this country
  • The DOT in every state
  • The water, sewage, and sanitation authorities
  • The EMS that serves your area
  • Law enforcement from the local to the FBI
These are all essential services, and none are required or expected to be self sufficient, and some are far from it.
while true, the post office doesn't get money from general revenue and its main subsidy is borrowing a low rates. its costs are entirely covered by postage. and that's been the case for decades. maybe we shouldn't expect the post office to cover its costs from its own revenues, but that's the way it has been happening.

sportage

Lifer
Feb 1, 2008
States are banding together to challenge in court Trump's top campaign donator who just happens to be the Trump appointed head of the USPS, Louis DeJoy. However, over in iOwa their state attorney general Tom Miller, and one hell of a great guy if I do say so, was barred from joining in on the class-action. Barred from joining by the iOwa republican governor Kim Reynolds. Reynolds, obviously a republican and a massively huge Trumpie, would not allow iOwa to add itself to the states joining in on the class action.

It hit me that Donald Trump is like a cancer. During Watergate and old tricky dick, Nixon was warned of the "cancer" growing on the Nixon presidency. Well, Donald Trump "is" the cancer. And like any cancer, that cancer usually will spread to other areas if not contained and eliminated. In this case, the cancer that is Donald Trump has spread onto iOwa governor Kim Reynolds. And as with a cancer, you not only remove the cancer but you must remove the areas infected by that cancer. So.... Donald Trump must go and then every republican state governor must also go because this Trump cancer is in stage 4 and has spread into many republican controlled states.

PS. Just look at the first sentence I posted above.
"States are banding together to challenge in court Trump's top campaign donator who just happens to be the Trump appointed head of the USPS, Louis DeJoy."
RIGHT THERE you have two criminal acts pulled by THIS PRESIDENT. Two criminal acts. Accepting a massive huge financial donation from a "friend" in exchange for a position in the administration, AND THEN actually following thru and granting that financial donor a position as head of a major government institution. Right there, two criminal acts that each one of should impeach Donald Trump out of office. And we see this same criminal activity day in and day out as the corruption of this administration adds up every single day. Can you believe it ??? Not holding Donald Trump accountable has numbed America into having no reaction, no reactions at all when this resident breaks the law. We just stand by and.... watch it happen.

Reactions: dingster1

nickqt

Diamond Member
Jan 15, 2015
Imagine if Republicans had elected a relatively intelligent fascist like Tom Cotton, instead of hilariously inept Strongman Trump.

If you think we're fucked right now, we'd be triply bent-over with someone like Cotton in there doing all of this quietly and efficiently.

Glass half-full take on all of this.

interchange

Diamond Member
Oct 10, 1999
It's becoming clear to me that Trump is trying to fuck the post office now ahead of the election so even if people are successful at ending the shenanigans the hole will have already been dug too deep not to hamper mail in voting in Democrat areas. The hole is already that deep in my estimation, so it's not a matter of can we stop Trump but how much damage control we can have.

He needs to be impeached. Today.

Jaskalas

Lifer
Jun 23, 2004
If that is not impeachment worthy wtf is?

Oh my sweet summer child. Impeachment may be the least of our concerns following November. We are a nation at risk of becoming Afghanistan, violence and all. One does not question the legitimacy of the elections and then proceed with civil discourse. Cities are already burning. November may be the spark to set this powder keg ablaze.

DarthKyrie

Golden Member
Jul 11, 2016
I was watching the local news tonight and our hub here in Nashua NH has only 1 sorting machine left and if it breaks down we are fucked.

• Wow
Reactions: cytg111

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
Imagine if Republicans had elected a relatively intelligent fascist like Tom Cotton, instead of hilariously inept Strongman Trump.

If you think we're fucked right now, we'd be triply bent-over with someone like Cotton in there doing all of this quietly and efficiently.

A good dictator would have run things better, like the pandemic response.
Even if he hates our guts, he needs us alive to vote and pay taxes.

soundforbjt

Lifer
Feb 15, 2002
I was watching the local news tonight and our hub here in Nashua NH has only 1 sorting machine left and if it breaks down we are fucked.
I may have seen that story on MSNBC, did they have 4 to start with? The story I saw had 4 machines to start with, they took out 3 and tore one apart and sold it for scrap metal, not sure where the other two are, and the one that's left broke down and needed hours to fix the day the state/local ? official was there.

ElFenix

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Mar 20, 2000

Tom Cotton has been scoring own goals lately. I'm starting to think his competence may be overestimated.

cytg111

Lifer
Mar 17, 2008
Hehe... this is something Putin would do. God you are down the rabbit hole...

Jhhnn

IN MEMORIAM
Nov 11, 1999
Oh my sweet summer child. Impeachment may be the least of our concerns following November. We are a nation at risk of becoming Afghanistan, violence and all. One does not question the legitimacy of the elections and then proceed with civil discourse. Cities are already burning. November may be the spark to set this powder keg ablaze.

Fear monger often? Sleepy Joe is gonna kick Trump's ass so hard that there will be no room to play games about it. Unless Trump can come up with something like parting the Red Sea, which seems extremely unlikely.

DarthKyrie

Golden Member
Jul 11, 2016
I may have seen that story on MSNBC, did they have 4 to start with? The story I saw had 4 machines to start with, they took out 3 and tore one apart and sold it for scrap metal, not sure where the other two are, and the one that's left broke down and needed hours to fix the day the state/local ? official was there.

Nashua had 3 machines up until about 3 months ago, I had been wondering why I had a package sitting at the sorting facility in Nashua for 3 days. I think you might be thinking of San Antonio TX when Castro went to go visit they hid the mail that had piled up so he wouldn't see how much was waiting to be sorted.