Guildwars 2 Beta Thread

Page 11 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
thank you for the offer to help. i'll definitely take you up on that if i ever need the help :)

I'd be happy to run you through, sometimes! :D

I actually like doing the runs; it can be fun. After a first character and campaign through, I am by no means a purist. :p

Blueychan

Feb 1, 2008

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
Wow--Mesmer looks better and better every time I see it. Can not freaking wait.

Mesmer with a greatsword! :awe:

probably a very OP class at the beginning. Hopefully, when the inevitable nerf comes early, the fun isn't nerfed out as well. :\

One thing I am iffy about is the randomness of the conditions that are applied. Makes it difficult to work towards a specific build--unless from what i'm saying, those builds are more along "+ damage with x condition" rather damage and condition stacking only on certain conditions.

remains to be seen how it plays out, though.

Last edited:

zokudu

Diamond Member
Nov 11, 2009
I keep rethinking class choice right now.

I really like Warrior, and Necro. My second tier is Guardian and Engineer (kind of). Mesmer seems really boring with a clunky class mechanic and Elementalist doesn't appeal to me. I don't like Ranger or Thief.

So simple then Necro, Warrior Guardian? I guess?

I like the mechanics of warrior the most I think I love melee weapons and big armor. I love the concept of playing a holy warrior though ala a Paladin from WoW. JUst a dignified holy soldier appeals to me. Necro seems to have great class mechanics but really 50-50 on the whole caster thing.

I feel like I will be playing a Guardian in the first Beta Event I get into to see if I enjoy the class. If I enjoy it I may play it but if it is not offering what I am hoping for I will stick with Warrior because I feel like I know what to expect with a warrior class.

Am I over thinking this?

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
how does mesmer seem boring? It's so unique and bizarre, and incredibly diverse. It might be overly complicated...and maybe not the best first character to go with, trying to learn the game, but it will likely be in very high demand with the support that it offers.

Thief was my second favorite, but after that video, I'm not so sure. I'll probably move Nec and Engineer up the tier. I'll probably still enjoy thief, as assassin was incredibly fun to play in GW, and there are very similar mechanics here.

I really like the Nec shadow shroud ability.

I'm not sure about ele, either. It was probably my overall favorite in GW, but it doesn't seem to offer much more in GW2.

Though, I was much like you that I defaulted to warrior mele classes with big swords and armor, and it was so with GW--but then GW also turned me onto caster classes as my new default class in most games.

I think it's weird, though also incredibly cool that the big ass Mes broadsword increases in potency the further you are from your target, heh.

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
also, just looking back over my HoM points--I had remembered that minipets seemed to be the quickest for me to get my final 2 points--9 more pets will give me those 2.

But I can also get two points from simply acquiring tormented and oppressor weapon.

Anyone know the current price of Armbraces? I remember they used to go for 25k each. Hell, I was buying tons of gem sets years ago when they could be had for cheap, and armbraces weren't terribly hard to acquire from that.

I really need to finsh that War in Kryta quest, anyway, so that should give me a point. ;)

zokudu

Diamond Member
Nov 11, 2009
how does mesmer seem boring? It's so unique and bizarre, and incredibly diverse. It might be overly complicated...and maybe not the best first character to go with, trying to learn the game, but it will likely be in very high demand with the support that it offers.

Thief was my second favorite, but after that video, I'm not so sure. I'll probably move Nec and Engineer up the tier. I'll probably still enjoy thief, as assassin was incredibly fun to play in GW, and there are very similar mechanics here.

I really like the Nec shadow shroud ability.

I'm not sure about ele, either. It was probably my overall favorite in GW, but it doesn't seem to offer much more in GW2.

Though, I was much like you that I defaulted to warrior mele classes with big swords and armor, and it was so with GW--but then GW also turned me onto caster classes as my new default class in most games.

I think it's weird, though also incredibly cool that the big ass Mes broadsword increases in potency the further you are from your target, heh.

Well first off I don't really like casters in the first place. I have 1 ranged character in all of my time playing MMOs and that is a Hunter in WoW. Every other game (FFXI, WoW, Rift, SWG) I always played melees.

Second of all there seems to be a focus on randomness with the mesmer that doesn't really attract me.I like the idea of condition based damage over straight damage so there is a plus there. I don't think the illusions and phantasms are huge gains in gameplay. They seem to only be useful in the videos I saw for either confusing an enemy when coupled with a vanish to escape or creating then instantly shattering for the condition.

Either way maybe boring was the wrong word. The class just doesn't appeal to me. It has the condition play but so does Necro and I like Necros class ability more. Warrior has decent condition abilities in their swords too with the bonus of the burly juggernaut look I'm going for

Though not really juggernaut so much as dignified soldier.

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
Well first off I don't really like casters in the first place. I have 1 ranged character in all of my time playing MMOs and that is a Hunter in WoW. Every other game (FFXI, WoW, Rift, SWG) I always played melees.

Second of all there seems to be a focus on randomness with the mesmer that doesn't really attract me.I like the idea of condition based damage over straight damage so there is a plus there. I don't think the illusions and phantasms are huge gains in gameplay. They seem to only be useful in the videos I saw for either confusing an enemy when coupled with a vanish to escape or creating then instantly shattering for the condition.

Either way maybe boring was the wrong word. The class just doesn't appeal to me. It has the condition play but so does Necro and I like Necros class ability more. Warrior has decent condition abilities in their swords too with the bonus of the burly juggernaut look I'm going for

Though not really juggernaut so much as dignified soldier.

the thing I like about them in GW2 is that it seems highly possible that a class like Mesmer could be an effective mele class if you want them to be--not the best of course, and with increased damage at range it's hard to say, but they seem to want to push it that way.

I like the addition of guns in GW2, particularly for thief, but what I like best about that class is the type of mele that we got with GW Assassin. so, I'm not completely convinced. I hope engineer gets a pistol whip stun skill. I don't like the idea of running up close to enemies and just blasting them in their faces. Being able to mele with a gun seems quite natural in those situations.

Also--you really need to try the GW casters. They are preposterously fun.

zokudu

Diamond Member
Nov 11, 2009
I will as soon as possible. I gave up WoW for Lent to focus on GW1 and a few others things like Mass Effect but I've been swamped with School work for a few days. As soon as I get back to having free time I'll be sure to give them a shot. I do have to finish that Nighfall warrior though.

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
I will as soon as possible. I gave up WoW for Lent to focus on GW1 and a few others things like Mass Effect but I've been swamped with School work for a few days. As soon as I get back to having free time I'll be sure to give them a shot. I do have to finish that Nighfall warrior though.

:D

well, that doesn't make much sense, does it?

zokudu

Diamond Member
Nov 11, 2009
:D

well, that doesn't make much sense, does it?

It's actually working pretty well. I haven't turned on my desktop since Ash Wednesday. I just figure I'm going to run out of books and need something to play so it will probably be GW1.

Rambusted

Feb 7, 2012
When is this coming out? Seems like they have been hyping it for ages. I played the first one years ago and didnt like the fact that it wasnt really an mmo but ended up being pretty entertained with it most of the time. Stopped my sub for wow when i dinged 85 and would love to find a replacement.

zokudu

Diamond Member
Nov 11, 2009
Large scale Beta Events are scheduled for the second half of March and through April. I expect a release sometime in the May-June range.

jcwagers

Golden Member
Dec 25, 2000
If you check in Kamadan for Armbraces, I think the going price is generally 23-25e each. You might find one an ecto or two cheaper and might find some an ecto or two higher.

MrDuma

Nov 23, 2011
2 bad i didn't get an invite in the beta testing; oh well will wait for the next round now

VashHT

Diamond Member
Feb 1, 2007
I'm probably going to make a warrior or guardian first, they both look pretty cool. My first char in GW1 was a necro but warrior or mesmer ended up being my favorite class. I'm not sure how I feel about mesmers in GW2, it looks like they've taken out the domination magic aspect of the class and turned it into some kind of melee mage hybrid. I liked the idea of a mesmer before which was kind of anti anything, you could make your guy energy drain or you could make their melee guys useless, now it just seems like they're less utility and focused more on damage.

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
I'm probably going to make a warrior or guardian first, they both look pretty cool. My first char in GW1 was a necro but warrior or mesmer ended up being my favorite class. I'm not sure how I feel about mesmers in GW2, it looks like they've taken out the domination magic aspect of the class and turned it into some kind of melee mage hybrid. I liked the idea of a mesmer before which was kind of anti anything, you could make your guy energy drain or you could make their melee guys useless, now it just seems like they're less utility and focused more on damage.

it's possible, but Domination is still one of the trait/skill attributes for Mesmer in GW2.

I haven't really seen that skill tree being utilized, so it's possible that people have been showing off what is so new and different about them, because it is very new. Also, the person in that last video mentioned it was "the newest class" and will be receiving the most tweaks early on. Not sure what that means--I'd think all classes were developed at the same time. I wouldn't assume that them being revealed to the public last would make them newer in development time.

GaiaHunter

Diamond Member
Jul 13, 2008

http://wiki.guildwars.com/wiki/Mesmer said:
A master of illusion, misdirection, and control, the Mesmer subverts the damage-dealing capabilities of others, manipulating their perceptions to achieve personal goals.

Seems that the mesmer from guild wars 2 does that.

And since Phantom Lancer was my favourite Dota hero and I also enjoyed the other image heroes, this new mesmer seems quite nice to me.

Also it seems all the professions have access to either melee or very close range weapons that are designed with close range/melee survival/combat in mind (blocks, knocks, escape mechanism, blinds, life steal, etc).

I guess since there are no tanks and no healers, Anet is betting in some sort of rotation duty, where players kind relief the each other on the front line role, giving time to heal and such.

Last edited:

VashHT

Diamond Member
Feb 1, 2007
Hmm guess I didn't look around enough, but all of the movies I've seen people are using greatswords or swords. That's a pretty cool aspect of the new skill system though, it allows them to make really diverse classes based on what weapon you want to use.

zokudu

Diamond Member
Nov 11, 2009
I think you see a lot of swords and greatswords with Mesmer because it is what is setting it apart from something like the Necromancer right now. Oh Lasers from a great sword? SWEET! A light armored melee mage? This is new.

You don't see a lot of the scepter or staff play which focus on conditions or torch/focus in the off hand which make it much more of that classic mink-fuck the mesmer seems to bring to the table with a lot of illusions, confusion and stealths.

The Mesmer actually reminds me a lot of the Red Mage from FFXI back before the Aht Urghan expansion. A mix of swordplay and magic with a large focus on debuffs and dots (conditions). Seems like and almost perfect fit.