Guildwars 2 Beta Thread

Page 13 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

GaiaHunter

Diamond Member
Jul 13, 2008
I love how people (espeically on guildwars2guru) can't accept (even journalists/casters coming with soft trinity bs) that in Guild Wars 2 there are no healers and tanks and focus on damage only will leave you with a glass cannon.

No direct ally targeting, everyone having a powerful self-heal and small selection of really really weak aoe over time heals should make it clear no healer.

And no defined predictable aggro system and no ability to absorb more than a couple/few hits even by the sturdiest of the characters, moving all the time (yes, you can cast and attack while moving) while everyone having a dodge mechanic that makes one invulnerable while dodging (uses a resource that regens over time so max back to back dodges is 2) and a boatload of knocks, blocks, blinds, slows, stealth, teleports and jumps, should be a clear indication everyone is expected to be attacked and be able to survive if skilful.

It is fun how some people go on if this a trick/prank by the developers and that they somehow hid a "holy trinity" in there somewhere.

One just have to look at the combat system and see that it plays a bit like some 3rd person action game (feels in between space marine and mass effect), one doesn't even have to target a mod to be able to attack it, than a point and click RPG like Diablo, WoW or even the original Guild Wars.

Last edited:

VashHT

Diamond Member
Feb 1, 2007
Woot pre-orders are starting on April 10th through NCsoft: http://kotaku.com/5892778/the-150-g...mes-with-all-this-plus-a-three+day-head-start

The collector's edition looks cool except for the statue which every game seems to be doing now. I'd rather have an 80 or 90$ game with no statue honestly, my gf won't let me put out my witcher 2 statue and I doubt it would fly with this one lol. I do want the extra stuff like 3 day access and total beta access and all the artwork but 150$ is a lot to swallow.

GaiaHunter

Diamond Member
Jul 13, 2008
Woot pre-orders are starting on April 10th through NCsoft: http://kotaku.com/5892778/the-150-g...mes-with-all-this-plus-a-three+day-head-start

The collector's edition looks cool except for the statue which every game seems to be doing now. I'd rather have an 80 or 90$ game with no statue honestly, my gf won't let me put out my witcher 2 statue and I doubt it would fly with this one lol. I do want the extra stuff like 3 day access and total beta access and all the artwork but 150$ is a lot to swallow.

Yeah.

I'll prolly go with the digital deluxe and try a physical collectors later on (got both factions and nightfall CE quite cheap later on).

hellfire88

Diamond Member
Nov 29, 2003
I wonder how much the digital deluxe version will cost. $150 for the collectors ed is a bit too much to swallow for 2x copies (myself and the wife :) ).

GaiaHunter

Diamond Member
Jul 13, 2008
I wonder how much the digital deluxe version will cost. $150 for the collectors ed is a bit too much to swallow for 2x copies (myself and the wife :) ).

I bet $/€70-80.

Why do you need 2xbooks, 2 audio tracks, 2xstatues, etc... Isn't marriage about sharing? :p

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
I bet $/€70-80.

Why do you need 2xbooks, 2 audio tracks, 2xstatues, etc... Isn't marriage about sharing? :p

can't play together on one account.

I'll have to see what works best for me. I also don't give a damn about worthless schwag--unless such can be sold for $$$ to some eBay dude.

:hmm:

Also have to check my upcoming schedule--June/July is a bit dicey, to see if I would even be able to take advantage of potential unlimited beta.

AH!

Beta access and 3-day headstart comes with all pre-order versions. sweeet....

AT guild, anyone? I would expect all of us to donate Deluxe Edition tome of Influence, yes?
:colbert:

:p

Last edited:

GaiaHunter

Diamond Member
Jul 13, 2008

I'll have to see what works best for me. I also don't give a damn about worthless schwag--unless such can be sold for $$$ to some eBay dude.

Also have to check my upcoming schedule--June/July is a bit dicey, to see if I would even be able to take advantage of potential unlimited beta.

Sure, but 1x Digital Deluxe and 1x Collectors Edition.

The DD has all the in-game benefits, the CE has the statue, art-book, sound track, etc, on top of that.

gothamhunter

Diamond Member
Apr 20, 2010
Standard - $49.99, Digital Deluxe - $69.99, Collectors - $149.99

Digital Deluxe, here I come! In-game goodies sound good enough to me.

VashHT

Diamond Member
Feb 1, 2007

AH!

AT guild, anyone? I would expect all of us to donate Deluxe Edition tome of Influence, yes?

FYI you have to pre order through NC Soft in order to get the 3 day head start, if you pre order anywhere else it's only 1 day.

GaiaHunter

Diamond Member
Jul 13, 2008
BTW,

Minimum System Requirements*

* Due to potential changes, system requirements may change over time, and you may be required to upgrade your current system (or obtain a new system) to continue to play the game.

Windows® XP Service Pack 2 or better
Intel® Core™ 2 Duo 2.0 GHz, Core i3, AMD Athlon™ 64 X2 or better
NVIDIA® GeForce® 7800, ATI Radeon™ X1800, Intel HD 3000 or better (256MB of video RAM and shader model 3.0 or better)
25 GB available HDD space
Broadband Internet connection
Keyboard and mouse

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
You need to stop drooling and scream like a girl! :p

how-to-draw-stimpy-from-ren-and-stimpy-tutorial-drawing.jpg

zokudu

Diamond Member
Nov 11, 2009

AH!

Since there is the multiple guild thing I'd be in for rolling on the same server and setting a guild up with you guys but I also have a guild planned with my CSS friends.

I'm so torn on DD edition and full blown collectors. Glad we finally got this info though.

videogames101

Diamond Member
Aug 24, 2005
I love how people (espeically on guildwars2guru) can't accept (even journalists/casters coming with soft trinity bs) that in Guild Wars 2 there are no healers and tanks and focus on damage only will leave you with a glass cannon.

No direct ally targeting, everyone having a powerful self-heal and small selection of really really weak aoe over time heals should make it clear no healer.

And no defined predictable aggro system and no ability to absorb more than a couple/few hits even by the sturdiest of the characters, moving all the time (yes, you can cast and attack while moving) while everyone having a dodge mechanic that makes one invulnerable while dodging (uses a resource that regens over time so max back to back dodges is 2) and a boatload of knocks, blocks, blinds, slows, stealth, teleports and jumps, should be a clear indication everyone is expected to be attacked and be able to survive if skilful.

It is fun how some people go on if this a trick/prank by the developers and that they somehow hid a "holy trinity" in there somewhere.

One just have to look at the combat system and see that it plays a bit like some 3rd person action game (feels in between space marine and mass effect), one doesn't even have to target a mod to be able to attack it, than a point and click RPG like Diablo, WoW or even the original Guild Wars.

Not having dedicated healing creates an environment in which the individual is less dependent on the team, and IMO team interdependence is half the reason people play MMOs.

VashHT

Diamond Member
Feb 1, 2007
Not having dedicated healing creates an environment in which the individual is less dependent on the team, and IMO team interdependence is half the reason people play MMOs.

You don't have to force interdependence by having dedicated roles. Just because there aren't dedicated healers tanks and DPS doesn't you can just run around soloing everything you still have to group up with people to do more challenging content. It's this kind of stale thinking that keeps MMO's from moving forward. Honestly the way dungeons were described in some of the previews sounded great, with people taking on different roles at different times during the experience.

videogames101

Diamond Member
Aug 24, 2005
You don't have to force interdependence by having dedicated roles. Just because there aren't dedicated healers tanks and DPS doesn't you can just run around soloing everything you still have to group up with people to do more challenging content. It's this kind of stale thinking that keeps MMO's from moving forward. Honestly the way dungeons were described in some of the previews sounded great, with people taking on different roles at different times during the experience.

Just "Grouping up" isn't my idea of interdependence. I don't want to be able to "do everything" like the way the game is being described, instead, having a defined role and relying on others to fill their own specific roles is just more fun for me. You're welcome to disagree, but fun is pretty subjective. That being said, I'll be pre-ordering Guild Wars 2.

VashHT

Diamond Member
Feb 1, 2007
Just "Grouping up" isn't my idea of interdependence. I don't want to be able to "do everything" like the way the game is being described, instead, having a defined role and relying on others to fill their own specific roles is just more fun for me. You're welcome to disagree, but fun is pretty subjective. That being said, I'll be pre-ordering Guild Wars 2.

I totally agree it's subjective, for me I get bored just doing the same thing throughout a long dungeon so I think it sounds fun to be forced to switch it up at certain points.

GaiaHunter

Diamond Member
Jul 13, 2008

I think you will change your opinion.

Everyone will be supporting each other.

For example as a dps what exactly is your interaction with the rest of your team mates?

The tank and the dps are on their own world, one controlling the battle and the other babysitting him.

The DPS stand there shooting at the target.

You won't be able to do everything all the time in GW2 - but during a battle you will rotate trough several roles: set a ward here, knocking back that mob, slowing that boss so your mate can run and heal, do damage to the boss, grab a rock from the floor to hit the enemy with it, dodge that boss super skill, use your block to buy sometime for your mates dodges to be ready, deal damage, setup a healing spring so people can stand in it and heal a bit, cast a boon that boost all your allies, change weapons, move out of the aoe spell, run away so you go heal, etc.

I see it as cross between something like warhammer space marine and traditional MMOs.

Creates a world where you cooperate but are still free.

No need to obey certain rules because you need a guild to raid, etc. But you still depend on people to do certain content, but no more "Frank the tank is sick so we can't raid tonight".

Last edited:

zokudu

Diamond Member
Nov 11, 2009

What if things are scaled so that everyone in the group has to "do everything" or you fail? If I've exhausted my dodge bar for a bit and I don't have any other control skills someone will have to take the monster off of me somehow. If I blow my personal heal, or my AoE hot type heal someone will have to pick up the slack and either use their own heal or drop an AoE heal to help out the group.

There are ways of making interdependence without relying on predefined roles. If your group is not up to par I don't think its possible to carry people through things.

gothamhunter

Diamond Member
Apr 20, 2010

For example as a dps what exactly is your interaction with the rest of your team mates?

The tank and the dps are on their own world, one controlling the battle and the other babysitting him.

You won't be able to do everything all the time in GW2 - but during a battle you will rotate trough several roles: set a ward here, knocking back that mob, slowing that boss so your mate can run and heal, do damage to the boss, grab a rock from the floor to hit the enemy with it, dodge that boss super skill, use your block to buy sometime for your mates dodges to be ready, deal damage, setup a healing spring so people can stand in it and heal a bit, cast a boon that boost all your allies, change weapons, move out of the aoe spell, run away so you go heal, etc.

I see it as cross between something like warhammer space marine and traditional MMOs.

This is why I'm so effing excited.

videogames101

Diamond Member
Aug 24, 2005

Creates a world where you cooperate but are still free.

No need to obey certain rules because you need a guild to raid, etc. But you still depend on people to do certain content, but no more "Frank the tank is sick so we can't raid tonight".

If the healers or tanks don't do their job you're dead. If I don't pull enough dps, the entire raid wipes.

Hey, maybe I will change my mind after playing. However, in my experience specializing in one role has been more fun than having the ability to do everything.

What if things are scaled so that everyone in the group has to "do everything" or you fail? If I've exhausted my dodge bar for a bit and I don't have any other control skills someone will have to take the monster off of me somehow. If I blow my personal heal, or my AoE hot type heal someone will have to pick up the slack and either use their own heal or drop an AoE heal to help out the group.

There are ways of making interdependence without relying on predefined roles. If your group is not up to par I don't think its possible to carry people through things.

Additionally, I have a feeling people will still specialize into roles even if those roles aren't pre-defined. In fact, in some of the dungeon videos I've watched there were very apparent dedicated healers, I saw quite a few engineers filling that role. Could just be press being bad at the game though.

What troubles me the most about the whole "no trinity" thing is that we still have warriors(described as sturdy), and we still have dps(described as not sturdy), but we don't have healers. Have we switched from a trinity to a... duality...?

Progress? Maybe?

Last edited:

GaiaHunter

Diamond Member
Jul 13, 2008
Additionally, I have a feeling people will still specialize into roles even if those roles aren't pre-defined. In fact, in some of the dungeon videos I've watched there were very apparent dedicated healers, I saw quite a few engineers filling that role. Could just be press being bad at the game though.

There are heals but compared to each class self heal, that can heal 1/3 or more of your life in 1 go, other heals just can't compete. In a dungeon of 5 no chance even if 4 dudes were healing a single guy no way they would be able to keeping him alive for any reasonable period of time. Have you seen some of those AoE heals? 30-50 health/s on a 3000+ health bar and dudes taking over 800+ damage from bosses.

Sure, you will be able to heal people a bit, maybe enough to counter some AoE damage pulse or condition, but if you are being targeted, its about dodge, CC, using your "OMG buttons",running and using the self heal.

At least this is what I see the devs talking about and this is what I've been seeing on videos.

By the way those were mostly story mode dungeons. Explorable mode dungeons, hidden areas and some later Dynamic events are what is supposed to be the hard stuff that will require brain power.

See this run, specially the fight vs the lovers @6:10 or so. @7:00 you can see the mesmer self heal for 1000+ and drop death in like 3 hits, or should I say downed? :)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zGNSuIqvezI&feature=channel

Last edited:

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
What troubles me the most about the whole "no trinity" thing is that we still have warriors(described as sturdy), and we still have dps(described as not sturdy), but we don't have healers. Have we switched from a trinity to a... duality...?

Progress? Maybe?

I think this is more of what we will see with GW2, and as I've mentioned long before, players will invariably define such pre-defined builds for themselves, using specific classes, because that is what they are comfortable with.

Which is fine.

That being said, the GW1 community has been migrating away from the "dedicated healer" class for quite some time. So, at the very least, it makes sense to see them gone in this one. Very very few people run a monk for dedicated healing (I used to love healing, but moreso prot monk, btw), and will only take heroes (NPCs) for healing purposes. NPCs are far better at healing, anyway. Even then, the traditional healing style for MMo doesn't really exist in GW anymore. The absolute most effective styles for dealing with damage in GW have long been damage prevention, creating walls and distraction, rather than the 'ol "red bar go up!" method.

That is one of the wonderful things that I have always liked about GW, and am glad to see that this spirit is alive, and quite possibly better in GW2.

slpnshot

Dec 1, 2011

Progress? Maybe?

That is a good question. Just how flexible will Guild Wars allow group composition when it comes to the higher difficulty areas. I'm sure people will be able to run a wide variety of diverse groups comes to areas with a larger margin of error, but if there are dungeon bosses that require X damage, Y surv, Z planning, etc, can you run in with 5 squishy mages as opposed to having a required number of damage eaters to actually down content?