Guildwars 2 Beta Thread

Page 10 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
still, 3 Nec heroes running Spoil Victor spike builds in HM remains a bit overpowered. It's nice, but I don't really use it.

I'm still a sucker for Sabway Necs...which is sooo 2008. :p

jcwagers

Golden Member
Dec 25, 2000
I generally only use Spoil Victor when I'm playing my necro against Shiro. Otherwise I tend to be a Spiteful Spirit kinda necro. I know that's old and outdated but I'm just not that interested in the "latest and greatest". I know my heroes aren't nearly as good as some but they usually get the job done so I don't worry too much about the fact that their builds practically never change. I'm not hardcore enough to really worry about their builds so I just use what works for me. :) I'm sure everyone else does the same. I have nothing against the PvXwiki builds but I'm not that into cookie cutter builds although I realize they have their place sometimes. :)

GaiaHunter

Diamond Member
Jul 13, 2008
I never really like to depend on skills that depends on enemy actions.

And Spoil victor/55ing against Shiro is most definitely a PvX/Wiki build. :)

If you have an use for a blood Necro (orders or such) sure Spoil victor can help, otherwise Insidious parasite can act to similar effect in a much more desirable attribute line and still leaving space open for other elites.

As I said, I prefer much more a playstyle that allows me to dominate the battle instead of reacting to it, so stance removal skills, blocking skills and knocks (Earthbind spirit will make every mob in the game be knockable, except if they are using a "can't be knocked" skill) are my favourite option vs Shiro, NF or otherwise.

jcwagers

Golden Member
Dec 25, 2000
I wasn't referring to soloing Shiro with Spoil Victor. :) I was referring to taking a team of mainly melee and using it on him when he hits them with Impossible Odds. :) My main character is a Rit but I'm so tired of spirit spamming being the end all/be all of the game. It's the "answer" to everything and just overused. Granted Earthbind and Wanderlust aren't something that I see used much but SoS seems to be the way that the masses see to "get things done".

GaiaHunter

Diamond Member
Jul 13, 2008
I wasn't referring to soloing Shiro with Spoil Victor. :) I was referring to taking a team of mainly melee and using it on him when he hits them with Impossible Odds. :) My main character is a Rit but I'm so tired of spirit spamming being the end all/be all of the game. It's the "answer" to everything and just overused. Granted Earthbind and Wanderlust aren't something that I see used much but SoS seems to be the way that the masses see to "get things done".

I have used earthbind even before the spirit buff. :)

But without doubt SoS is a strong build. If you recall, before the spirit buff ritualists builds were run better by necromancers.

And before spirit walls people used minion walls and before that pet/minion walls -> putting a wall of junk in front of your team as always been efficient. Full human teams don't really need it, but unfortunately most human teams are only used for Speed Clears and use invici tanks.

One, specially when playing alone, should play enjoyable builds, but lets not fool ourselves, those builds while capable of finishing things won't be as fast.

Guild Wars is an excellent game, but clearly there are good reasons for Anet to drop it in favour of Guild Wars 2.

Anet also seem to have learned from their mistakes with Guild Wars - Guild Wars 2 seems to keep trying to give players the best of an MMORPG without its associated hassles that even fans of conventional MMORPGs can recognize.

Lets see how all pan out, but one thing is sure - Guild Wars is still the best tactical/strategical RPG based on a large party. Guild Wars 2 is dropping that for an easy to understand reasons, ie, having to form a coordinated party to even the smallest of quests, which ends being impossible so you end up going with AI NPCs.

Last edited:

jcwagers

Golden Member
Dec 25, 2000
I agree. I'm so used to Guild Wars that some of the changes they mentioned with Guild Wars 2......I wasn't so sure of. I'm still not super excited about it but I'm not opposed to it either. I'm hoping that the beta will allow people who are on the fence to see how they feel about it. I'll count myself in that number.....if I even get in. lol It's definitely a nice looking game and should provide a lot of improvements. I guess it's just hard to change from being used to one thing to trying something else. Although, Guild Wars is getting a bit long in the tooth and I don't play nearly as much as I used to.

OCNewbie

Diamond Member
Jul 18, 2000
I wonder if I should give GW1 a whirl at this point. I've never played it. GW2 looks pretty awesome though.

jcwagers

Golden Member
Dec 25, 2000
GW1 is still a great set of games. It's a lot of fun but unless you get into an active guild or alliance.....you probably won't end up playing with a lot of people. Pick up groups(PUG) aren't nearly as prevalent as they used to be. I've had lots of fun with the game over the years so I'd say pick it up if you can find it for a good price. Try to find the entire collection if you can.....that's Guild Wars, Guild Wars Factions, Guild Wars Nightfall, and Eye of the North. There is a trilogy available and I think there is one that has all of them together.

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
I have used earthbind even before the spirit buff. :)

But without doubt SoS is a strong build. If you recall, before the spirit buff ritualists builds were run better by necromancers.

And before spirit walls people used minion walls and before that pet/minion walls -> putting a wall of junk in front of your team as always been efficient. Full human teams don't really need it, but unfortunately most human teams are only used for Speed Clears and use invici tanks.

One, specially when playing alone, should play enjoyable builds, but lets not fool ourselves, those builds while capable of finishing things won't be as fast.

Guild Wars is an excellent game, but clearly there are good reasons for Anet to drop it in favour of Guild Wars 2.

Anet also seem to have learned from their mistakes with Guild Wars - Guild Wars 2 seems to keep trying to give players the best of an MMORPG without its associated hassles that even fans of conventional MMORPGs can recognize.

Lets see how all pan out, but one thing is sure - Guild Wars is still the best tactical/strategical RPG based on a large party. Guild Wars 2 is dropping that for an easy to understand reasons, ie, having to form a coordinated party to even the smallest of quests, which ends being impossible so you end up going with AI NPCs.

I use my Sabway Necs (with a good bit of tweaking), with the SoS rit spirit spammers, and Mes spiker heroes. the old HM easy build, with the newer Hardmode easy build. It's ridiculously effective. A little less condition spreading in favor of condition removal and return with my SS Nec (foul feast and miasma--whatever absorbs all conditions from ally then spreads it to mob).

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
I wonder if I should give GW1 a whirl at this point. I've never played it. GW2 looks pretty awesome though.

probably a bit too late at this point, but who knows how long it will live after GW2. Much of the activity right now is acquiring points/titles to unlock gear in GW2.

After 5+ years of playing (+2 off), I'm at 28 out of 30 total points, lol.

Granted, I took my time and ran piles of characters through every campaign--near the end of all of them. I never collected things like mini pets--always sold them for cash--so I was slow on some of those titles and perks that eventually became points for GW2.

Anyway, it's a fun game, and definitely great to get a hang of strategic builds and such, I'm just not sure how active it will be, and so therefore may be difficult to pick up.

But--if you had to pick, I'd say start with Nightfall or Factions. They will get your character advanced much faster than Prophecies.

GaiaHunter

Diamond Member
Jul 13, 2008

The fan in me says yes.

As other people said the complete edition can be found cheap.

But only if you like to play solo and/or have someone else to play with you.

You can join a guild but it is an old game so most people are involved in trading and completing their HoM to get perks for GW2.

You can check the perks available in http://hom.guildwars2.com/en/#page=welcome .

Worthington

Golden Member
Apr 29, 2005
I remember running SabWay for Vanqs.. is it still effective after all these years. What's the new hero fotm build nowadays?

kinda bummed I missed ninja'ing unclaimed presents this last holiday season.

GaiaHunter

Diamond Member
Jul 13, 2008
SDM - Spirits (SoS+Soul Twisting and/or SoGM rits), Discord (sometimes the necros run Aura of the lich and Pain of Disenchantment instead of discord) and Mesmers (ESurge and/or Panic and/or Ineptitude).

Although with the recent changes to HM armor scalling, elemental damage became more competitive with armor ignoring damage, so expect to see elementalists and Icy Vein necros.

Unyielding Aura Monks with the 2 Divine Favour heal parties are also popular and the E/Mo ER are also a solid backline choice.

Unfortunately physical heroes still suffer from poor AI or just from being rangers or paragons.

Last edited:

kehlsi

Mar 10, 2010
i picked up the complete edition last night and look forward to getting started. i'm probably just going to follow some guides to complete the HoM as quickly as possible in preparation for GW2, although i'm kind of a completionist so i'll more than likely end up doing everything! 24 bucks was a steal for all 4 games :)

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
SDM - Spirits (SoS+Soul Twisting and/or SoGM rits), Discord (sometimes the necros run Aura of the lich and Pain of Disenchantment instead of discord) and Mesmers (ESurge and/or Panic and/or Ineptitude).

Although with the recent changes to HM armor scalling, elemental damage became more competitive with armor ignoring damage, so expect to see elementalists and Icy Vein necros.

Unyielding Aura Monks with the 2 Divine Favour heal parties are also popular and the E/Mo ER are also a solid backline choice.

Unfortunately physical heroes still suffer from poor AI or just from being rangers or paragons.

haha, true. Though, if heroes could take PvE-only skills, then Paragon would be the first hero in.

jcwagers

Golden Member
Dec 25, 2000
I think you'll have sufficient time to get ready for GW2 even if you take your time playing. After all, it's all about having fun and enjoying playing rather than rushing through. Just take your time and figure things out as you go. If you have questions, there's lots of answers on the Guild Wars Wiki or you can ask in here and I'm sure that someone can help you.

GaiaHunter

Diamond Member
Jul 13, 2008
i picked up the complete edition last night and look forward to getting started. i'm probably just going to follow some guides to complete the HoM as quickly as possible in preparation for GW2, although i'm kind of a completionist so i'll more than likely end up doing everything! 24 bucks was a steal for all 4 games :)

Well just for owning the 4 games you get some rewards (3 or 4 points if I'm not mistaken).

Additionally, one will be able to keep playing Guild Wars to retroactively get Guild Wars 2 rewards.

That might open some interesting game session opportunities, where people go revisit the old game for a reason or another.

BTW, if you need help, I may play around 18:00 -20:00 and 20:00-22:00 GMT/UCT, so feel free to pm for some help and or hints (just no begging for money and/or run you through content - no offence meant, I'm just a bit of a gameplay purist ).

haha, true. Though, if heroes could take PvE-only skills, then Paragon would be the first hero in.

No doubt.

kehlsi

Mar 10, 2010
thank you for the offer to help. i'll definitely take you up on that if i ever need the help :)

darkewaffle

Diamond Member
Oct 7, 2005
Also for those that submitted for the beta but got no confirmation mail you can simply resubmit your email address to ask for another confirmation mail; I was able to get mine on the second try so nice to know that at least I'm in the drawing.

Worthington

Golden Member
Apr 29, 2005
booo, I did that as well and still no confirmation email.

Damn you ArenaNet!! Damn you!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!