General VR discussion thread

Page 59 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Dr. Zaus

Lifer
Oct 16, 2008
I haven't played any video-game video games on the vive.

I haven't played video games for a decade (excepting portal 2). Anything really good? LIke maybe GTA 5?

Also, how do I do that?

Crono

Lifer
Aug 8, 2001
Are you using revive?

Yes, first time using Revive.

The game is very fun. The teleportation movement system works fairly well, but I have a feeling it works better with the thumbsticks on the Rift (but what I really want is the Fallout 4/Doom VR approach to movement if/when they come out).

I love being able to pick up the robots and thow them or smash them into each other. :D
But having to hold the side grip buttons to hold onto the pistols (they drop to the floor if you don't) was odd at first, even though it does make sense. I kept dropping them initially. It's tough to "reload" a pistol with one hand, draw a shotgun from your back with the other, and remember to hold the grips while doing so - while dodging bullets - but I'm getting the hang of it.

Last edited:

Kaido

Elite Member & Kitchen Overlord
Feb 14, 2004
I am seriously considering a 1080ti. That is if I can actually get one not all marked up. I'm not going to pay people's price gouging.

I'm planning on a Mini-ITX system with a 4.2ghz i7-7700K & an 11GB 1080Ti. I had a loaner gaming system last year & have been using an EN1070 as a temp system this year, but nothing permanent, so I've just been tucking away some funds for the last year for the "final" system. The Ti's 35% performance increase sounds awfully nice. In lieu of the Corsair 380T, I've settled on the Lian Li PC-Q25B for the case:

http://www.lian-li.com/en/dt_portfolio/pc-q25/

Great little box...standard ATX PSU, 320mm max-length GPU, push-to-pop-off side panels, etc. It won't fit under my TV like the Zotac does, but I can stick it behind the entertainment center since it's in the corner, plus I'd rather have the power than the looks for VR purposes.

Aikouka

Lifer
Nov 27, 2001
Question for u guys, will b getting about $1k Amazon gift card. Thinking of upgrading to make for a better VR experience. CPU, GPU upgrades? My sig has my rig specs....

Your system seems fine to me. If you're worried about performance, try setting up some performance monitors and see what is bottlenecking your system.

maniacalpha1-1

Diamond Member
Feb 7, 2010
How many USB ports does the Rift really need? 4? Is one of them for the headphones? Just trying to see if I would need an add-in card, I could barely free up 4.

Last edited:

Dr. Zaus

Lifer
Oct 16, 2008
How many USB ports does the Vive really need? 4? Is one of them for the headphones? Just trying to see if I would need an add-in card, I could barely free up 4.
1. It's the rift that needs a pile of ports.

Headphone jack is a dongle from the head mounted display.

WhiteNoise

Golden Member
Jun 22, 2016
For the Rift i purchased a USB expansion card. You do need to have all the USB cables plugged in and I found that plugging them all into one card or one external hub caused issues. So I split them up between the card and the built in USB ports of the mobo.

I run 4 sensors and a headset.

ImpulsE69

Lifer
Jan 8, 2010
I just run 1 sensor, so you need a minimum of 3 ports (1 sensor, 1 Rift, 1 wireless dongle for controller). I have my sensor plugged into USB2 because it is very picky about USB3 ports, but I don't really see any issues with it. As mentioned above, many get an expansion board, but it is very picky about those as well.

ImpulsE69

Lifer
Jan 8, 2010
I've been playing the heck out of Rec Room Paintball lately. So much fun and quite the work out lol.

Also, as someone who gets sick pretty quickly with trackpad movement, there is a demo out called "Freedom Movement" on Steam. It basically uses your head bob of normal walking/jogging/running and moves that way. It works pretty slick and I messed around in it for a good 20-30 minutes with no issues. There are some other settings you can play around with (like tunnel vision) to make it even more comfortable. With the huge debate on trackpad vs. teleporting movement, this would be a great in between. You can walk normally as you would, but you can also use this system to move greater distances w/o having to constantly turn around etc.

Kaido

Feb 14, 2004
I've been playing the heck out of Rec Room Paintball lately. So much fun and quite the work out lol.

Rec Room paintball is definitely one of my favorite games. Met a lot of cool people in there! One of the few games where I constantly end a session out of breath from laughing so much :D

We should have an ATOT meetup in there sometime!

ImpulsE69

Lifer
Jan 8, 2010
So....I just busted my 70" LCD today throwing a grenade in RecRoom. You can't actually see the damage, just had error leds. I did a service boot and it lit up the area of the panel that cracked. This was a very expensive TV. VR just got a whole lot more expensive.

I loved that TV, now I have to begin the best TV picture hunt again :( at least they are somewhat cheaper now.

Kaido

Feb 14, 2004
So....I just busted my 70" LCD today throwing a grenade in RecRoom. You can't actually see the damage, just had error leds. I did a service boot and it lit up the area of the panel that cracked. This was a very expensive TV. VR just got a whole lot more expensive.

I loved that TV, now I have to begin the best TV picture hunt again :( at least they are somewhat cheaper now.

Nooooooooooo sorry to hear that man :( Best TV I've seen lately is Sony's X940D (75"). Recently dropped from $6k to $4k:

https://www.amazon.com/Sony-XBR75X940D-75-Inch-Ultra-Smart/dp/B01A5LU71A/

Although fwiw, I have a 65" TCL 4K Roku TV ($1k) & love it. I have not regretted passing over OLED for it, tbh. iirc, 75" HDR models are due out this year, which I would imagine to look even more awesome.

Also, I've seen a lot of people on /r/vive used double-sided tape & acrylic sheets to protect their televisions, or other interesting approaches like this one:

https://www.reddit.com/r/Vive/comments/4gkef1/diy_tv_protector/

Mutilator

Diamond Member
Aug 22, 2000
And that's why it's called wreck room. The early days in dodgeball were the best... so many broken lamps and ceiling fans. :D

flexy

Diamond Member
Sep 28, 2001

OH LORD! There are many such posts on r/Vive and r/Oculus now. Busting a 70"....yikes....sorry dude!

Edit: I "almost" broke my finger two days ago playing a "tennis" game where you use some hockey stick thing where you kicked a ball *upwards" off the ground. What I totally forgot was the corner of my DESK above my real hands. Talk about idiocy playing games like this seated....

I also dinged/smashed my monitor multiple times...I am actually surprised it's not broken yet.

ImpulsE69

Lifer
Jan 8, 2010
Nooooooooooo sorry to hear that man :( Best TV I've seen lately is Sony's X940D (75"). Recently dropped from $6k to $4k:

https://www.amazon.com/Sony-XBR75X940D-75-Inch-Ultra-Smart/dp/B01A5LU71A/

Although fwiw, I have a 65" TCL 4K Roku TV ($1k) & love it. I have not regretted passing over OLED for it, tbh. iirc, 75" HDR models are due out this year, which I would imagine to look even more awesome.

Also, I've seen a lot of people on /r/vive used double-sided tape & acrylic sheets to protect their televisions, or other interesting approaches like this one:

https://www.reddit.com/r/Vive/comments/4gkef1/diy_tv_protector/

Hah, I'm actually looking into that Sony tv based on a thread in the home theater forums. I found it online for around $2800 (if legit) but yea, I'm looking into maybe something cheaper short term. This TV was around 6 years old ($4k new) so I imagine things should be even better for cheaper by now. I am not interested in going OLED at the moment, honestly I don't even care about 4k at this point.

I like that canvas idea. Might have to look into that as well.

Mutilator

Diamond Member
Aug 22, 2000
Anybody else playing Pavlov VR? It's more or less CS:GO in VR. Finally picked it up last night... not bad.
Watching some of Node's videos helped push me over the edge.
Just make sure you hold on to your AWP with both hands... ;)

flexy

Diamond Member
Sep 28, 2001
Yeah it has good reviews and "everybody" seems to be playing it right now. Too bad I still don't have an area made for such kind of games so I am not even giving this a shot yet.

WhiteNoise

Golden Member
Jun 22, 2016
I have punched one of my receivers, I've punch my bowflex too. I've stopped playing games like SuperHot VR because I just don't have the space and that sort of game really needs it.

Kaido

Feb 14, 2004
Palmer Luckey departs Facebook:

https://uploadvr.com/palmer-luckey-departs-facebook/

Say what you will about the guy, but he was the face of VR for a long time. He seemed very likable from the various videos floating around Youtube. I think his enthusiasm is partly what got me to look deeper into VR. The core issue seemed to be his vocalness about political (Trump/Clinton) & social issues (GamerGate) given his lofty position:

http://www.businessinsider.com/palmer-luckey-jeopardizing-facebook-oculus-rift-2016-9

That's too bad. We need people to evangelize VR. Getting chopped due to your personal beliefs stinks, but that's the game I guess. It looks like Carmack is still in the Oculus game, however:

https://www.vrfocus.com/2017/03/carmack-on-oculus-home-update-this-is-much-more-than-just-a-rewrite/

ImpulsE69

Lifer
Jan 8, 2010
Eh, the dude is rich. He wasn't prepared for the kind of fame he was about to get and the scrutiny that goes with it. He learned and now he's bowing out. Can't say I blame him. It is what it is. He saw his dream come true, and got a fat payday in the process. There's no reason to feel sorry for the guy.