General VR discussion thread

Page 61 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

WiseUp216

Platinum Member
Mar 12, 2012
www.heatware.com
Couldn't hold out any longer and picked up a Vive today. I have an open 10'x10' play area that seems to be working well. Setup was painless. So far it has been a blast.

After 90 minutes in The Lab, I think I am ready to start trying out some games.

bbhaag

Diamond Member
Jul 2, 2011
Picked up the HTC Vive because I've been considering it for a little while and I wanted to take advantage of the $100 off. I promised myself that I was going to sell off some old laptops and other things I have laying around before ordering it but I wanted to get in on the sale! Haha. I have listed a laptop on Letgo but the scammers/bots/not-serious people there are the majority it seems.

So I didn't think $700 was too terrible, plus with Prime it was free two day shipping and I had the option of paying in $140 monthly installments with no fees/interest so I opted for that.
So now that you've had a awhile to play around with your vr setup. I was kind of curious how your system handles the load. I have almost the exact same setup as you. Everything really except for the gpu which I have a rx480 which is honestly on par with yours.

So anyway....do you have any incites now that you've had it for awhile? Is you system powerful enough? The reason I ask is I'm thinking about getting into vr and want to know if my system with be enough.

Mutilator

Diamond Member
Aug 22, 2000
Today is one of those days I wish I didn't have to work. Maybe I'll just take the Vive to work lol.
Star Trek Bridge Crew, Breach It, and Rising Storm 2 Vietnam (not VR) all come out today.

And the Steam Summer Sale is just a few weeks away... :D

ImpulsE69

Lifer
Jan 8, 2010
Just came out today. Who all is getting it? Check reddit for a way to get a discount on it. Still waiting for more reviews, but so far it seems to be looking very good.

Kaido

Elite Member & Kitchen Overlord
Feb 14, 2004
Just a nerd update on my system: I relocated my VR system into our guest bedroom, aka the workout room, which is 10' x 10'. I have a twin bed for visitors, plus my dip station, door-frame pull-up bar, and VirZoom exercise bike. The computer & LCD is sitting on a chest of drawers. The room has enough space to store the VirZoom & still have sufficient floor space for doing calisthenics & VR stuff. It's not as large as my living room (13' x 19', minus couches & other furniture), but we had some logistics issues with keeping it in the main room. Aside from the wire mess (TPcast where are yoooooooo), when we'd have lots of people over, especially kids, it became kind of a pain to make sure people weren't getting punched in the face accidentally. Also, it's easier to let one user play at a time for awhile than to keep popping all of the equipment off to the next person with a group of people (especially with kids...I tend to have family/friends over on the weekends & everybody loves playing in the VR haha...the kids get impatient & start fighting over it & whining, so having a smaller room with a limited audience helps quite a bit). Current equipment list:

1. Stock Vive system
2. Zotac EN1070 (mini PC)
3. Small HDMI monitor for the Windows desktop, plus a wireless keyboard & mouse
4. VirZoom bike
5. Training Mask (bit of a pain with the HMD, but it's doable)
6. Subpac M2
7. Wrist & ankle weights (have read that these can cause body damage over time, but then I watch a CT Fletcher video & decide not to care)
8. Sennheiser headphones (I use HD-280's for me & I can't remember, 201's or 202's for sweaty visitors haha)

Planned equipment list:

1. 4ghz i7 PC with a GTX1080Ti
2. TPcast wireless adapter
3. Vive Deluxe Audio Strap

I'm not in any rush to upgrade, so that's more of a wishlist than anything, plus I'm pretty happy with where my system is at now. Anxious to see what they do with the new Vive trackers!

Reactions: WiseUp216

Aikouka

Lifer
Nov 27, 2001
2. TPcast wireless adapter
3. Vive Deluxe Audio Strap

That's really what I'm looking to get. The wireless adapter will make things so much easier. I've heard good things about the audio strap, but I need to see more about whether it's usable by people with big heads.

ImpulsE69

Lifer
Jan 8, 2010
Broke down and got Bridge Crew. The 20% off coupon at Uplay is nice. Overall seems fairly good, and has a nice large Discord playerbase.

WhiteNoise

Golden Member
Jun 22, 2016
Been playing bridge crew all evening and it is AWESOME. oh shit I'd comment more but I'm heading back to the bridge.

Kaido

Feb 14, 2004
Deluxe Audio Strap is out! $99 on Newegg:

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16826918014

1. Adjustment dial
2. Integrated headphones
3. Improved comfort, weight distribution, and cable management

Replacement video tutorial:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Us6omgWT5rw

VERY excited about this...adjusting for different users is a pain with the velcro system, especially fidgety kids with smaller heads, haha. Now all I need is a TPcast!! Great review on that here:

https://uploadvr.com/tpcast-wireless-vive-impressions/

Aikouka

Lifer
Nov 27, 2001
Deluxe Audio Strap is out! $99 on Newegg:

Ended up ordering it from Amazon this morning, and I should have it by Friday. My only worry is that I haven't been able to find any information on how it fits people with big heads. :p I've also heard that it doesn't work as well with the original, bulky cable. I might have to design and 3D print a holder for the larger cable since I don't have the slim one.

Oh, and there was a post on the Vive subreddit about the TPCast. Some people bought them from a Chinese store, and have been trying it out.

Here's a general post.
Here's a post about the technical workings.

Last edited:

Kaido

Feb 14, 2004
Ended up ordering it from Amazon this morning, and I should have it by Friday. My only worry is that I haven't been able to find any information on how it fits people with big heads. :p I've also heard that it doesn't work as well with the original, bulky cable. I might have to design and 3D print a holder for the larger cable since I don't have the slim one.

Oh, and there was a post on the Vive subreddit about the TPCast. Some people bought them from a Chinese store, and have been trying it out.

Here's a general post.
Here's a post about the technical workings.

Yeah, I've got the original cable, might have to spring for the new thinner one. I am also curious about head-fit size, as I have a lot of nephews & nieces who love stuff like Job Simulator & whatnot.

I know that thread you're talking about on the TPcast...I'm a little wary based on the reviews so far. Plus I moved it into a 10' x 10' room, so it wouldn't kill me to keep the cable...I guess the debate now is the thinner cable or the wireless system. Although I really really really want wireless lol.

Last edited:

Mutilator

Diamond Member
Aug 22, 2000
I'd wait and see what Intel's wireless setup looks like before getting the TPCast. Seems like the more info that comes out about it (TPCast) the less I want it.

Reactions: WiseUp216