General VR discussion thread

Page 43 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

ImpulsE69

Lifer
Jan 8, 2010
Hm, it does make me wonder a bit about the future of our existing components. For example, we've seen that Valve is working on new controllers, but will our current Vive controllers still always work? My thought is that when Vive 2.0 comes out, Valve may be able to create different sets of hardware to help keep costs down. So, if I already have a Vive, I could say, "Well, I don't need the new controllers", and I simply order the HMD alone. ...or I could say that I want the new controllers, and order the HMD and the controllers, but I don't need the lighthouses.

People keep wanting to liken this stuff to consoles, but they are simply peripherals. On the PC side, they will continue to be used as long as devs code them in, even if they can be replaced by newer and/or better. Even if not officially supported most likely people will mod support in on many things.

thejunglegod

Golden Member
Feb 12, 2012
So for the google cardboard and the other VR devices for mobile device, what is the actual content? Like is it a game in VR or is It a video? can you watch any random youtube video as well?

ImpulsE69

Lifer
Jan 8, 2010
^^ Yes to all of the above. Much of the content for phones is the same as Rift, if not maybe a bit more.

flexy

Diamond Member
Sep 28, 2001
I am getting very exciting buying my Rift in the next few days, and then in December the touch controllers.
Right now I am looking at "must have" demos and stuff, also to show wife etc. (And hell yeah she was bitching when I told her I want a Rift...lol) (And mind you, I myself will be new to VR!)

From what I saw, the "Apollo 11 experience" looks absolutely awesome and this will probably my first thing to check out.
Any other, good demos and stuff that you guys recommend?

sxr7171

Diamond Member
Jun 21, 2002
Just tried accounting. I'm sorry but that was just plain bad. It wasn't funny or clever. It was like watching a 3D episode of a bad TV show.

It was the first VR "game" to just piss me off. The elements you get to interact with are often outside the chaperone boundaries. And there are only 3 or 4 interactions which were mundane and pointless.

Just because there's a big name behind it means nothing.

ImpulsE69

Lifer
Jan 8, 2010
While the overall Steam Halloween sale is lackluster, there are a ton of VR games on sale right now which is decent if you've been holding out. I picked up a few cheap.

Dr. Zaus

Lifer
Oct 16, 2008
Just tried accounting. I'm sorry but that was just plain bad. It wasn't funny or clever. It was like watching a 3D episode of a bad TV show.

It was the first VR "game" to just piss me off. The elements you get to interact with are often outside the chaperone boundaries. And there are only 3 or 4 interactions which were mundane and pointless.

Just because there's a big name behind it means nothing.
I played the same game and liked it so much I played a second time. I had no problem with things being outside the boundaries: admittedly I've got my room at 4mx4m and am a fan of rick and morty.

Did you try not completing things right away?

Last edited:

sxr7171

Diamond Member
Jun 21, 2002
I played the same game and liked it so much I played a second time. I had no problem with things being outside the boundaries: atmidedly I've got my room at 4mx4m and am a fan of rick and morty.

Did you try not completing things right away?

I did end up completing it. And I just looked at reviews which universally praise the game. I guess it just didn't sit well with me listening to the guy rant on forever not to touch his battery etc. I didn't really think the humor was funny even though Rick and Morty is generally funny.

It was mostly just sitting and watching especially the court room scene.

It just seemed like being in an episode of a cartoon more than anything truly interactive. The only interaction was the battery, putting on headsets, playing a xylophone and throwing the attorneys around.

When I think of the experiences I've had in VR I think this was just not that good. So many experiences in VR make you feel but this one was just maybe good if you like their humor.

I just think of something like The Waltz of the Wizard and how that game confers upon you powers that can't be had in the real world.

I did play some Serious Sam VR and I thought that was a lot of fun even for a "mindless shooter".

Dr. Zaus

Lifer
Oct 16, 2008
I did end up completing it. And I just looked at reviews which universally praise the game. I guess it just didn't sit well with me listening to the guy rant on forever not to touch his battery etc. I didn't really think the humor was funny even though Rick and Morty is generally funny.

It was mostly just sitting and watching especially the court room scene.

It just seemed like being in an episode of a cartoon more than anything truly interactive. The only interaction was the battery, putting on headsets, playing a xylophone and throwing the attorneys around.

When I think of the experiences I've had in VR I think this was just not that good. So many experiences in VR make you feel but this one was just maybe good if you like their humor.

I just think of something like The Waltz of the Wizard and how that game confers upon you powers that can't be had in the real world.

I did play some Serious Sam VR and I thought that was a lot of fun even for a "mindless shooter".
That's a fair critique. There was a bit of pixel level solving to be done at bones

Alamat

Apr 30, 2003
So got my Vive and some games like Brookhaven experiment, Space Pirates and the freebies i.e., The Lab, etc. Having a great time with it!
Any other games I need to get now? Steam has a sale going on so.....

Dr. Zaus

Lifer
Oct 16, 2008
So got my Vive and some games like Brookhaven experiment, Space Pirates and the freebies i.e., The Lab, etc. Having a great time with it!
Any other games I need to get now? Steam has a sale going on so.....
Chair in a room

flexy

Diamond Member
Sep 28, 2001
Ok I finally ordered my Rift, and here are (some of) the criteria why I chose a Rift over the Vive:

* Extremely limited space.The setup for the Rift seems a lot easier than for the Vive, this is also what I got from reading several articles
My space is actually so limited along with other "issues" like lack of walls left or behind my monitor that even setting up the small sensor that comes with the Rift sort-of poses a minor problem but I will be able to put it on the desk or a little to the side on a stand or something. (Possibly even ceiling mounting about 10'o'clock position from me, will see. Also whether the 2.5m cable is long enough for the place on the ceiling I will have to see)
* Touch (!!) Of course. I would never had bought the Rift if I wouldn't know that Touch will be out in December. (I still think that it was retarded they even shipped the Rift with the Xbox controller). I don't care for room scale AT ALL at this point but of course Touch is a must, IMO.
* Initial lower purchase price. (Between €200-€300 less than Vive)
* The rest (technical stuff etc.) we talked about earlier and it's really difficult to say whether Vive/Rift would be "better", but I must say the fact that some say the Rift is more comfortable and then the included headset IS a criterion, along that "out of the box" it seems more tailored for "typical" seated "behind the desk" experience, at least at this point.

- Now I am already reading all about setting it up etc...and here some questions. Do I read this right that you need to calibrate the Rift while STANDING and that it calculates that you're seated from that automatically? When I am standing, it seems that the sensor on this stand on the desk is way below my head, is this supposed to be like this? (Guessing the sensor is barely 1f tall, it at all)

- They are talking about a "tracking triangle" on the BACK (??) of the headset. I am stumped. How can it track anything on the back of the headset if the sensor is in front of me?

Last edited:

ImpulsE69

Lifer
Jan 8, 2010
you don't really need to worry about the initial calibration too much. Each time you start it up, it basically recalibrates, and many games have a reset button in them and home itself will allow you to recalibrate while in a game.

As for tracking the back, the device itself has infrared lights in it that the camera sees, including in the back I guess (didn't actually know that).

CalebRockeT

Golden Member
Jul 14, 2003
I wonder if with the adult oriented VR if there will be additional add-ons that work with the VR and allow the user to "experience" coitus in the traditionally male role, despite their authentic gender.

It's an exciting age we live in, boys and girls!

thejunglegod

Golden Member
Feb 12, 2012
I wonder if with the adult oriented VR if there will be additional add-ons that work with the VR and allow the user to "experience" coitus in the traditionally male role, despite their authentic gender.

Totally. I remember watching a music video just a couple of yeas ago with a guy putting on some VR headset and doing everything under the sun, including boinking a lot of girls. Also, wasn't there a Stallone movie with Sandra bullock in which they only make out through a virtual reality head gear. I cannot recall the movie name though.

Reactions: CalebRockeT

Sabrewings

Golden Member
Jun 27, 2015
Also, wasn't there a Stallone movie with Sandra bullock in which they only make out through a virtual reality head gear. I cannot recall the movie name though.

Demolition Man. They only have sexual relations through the devices and view actual sex as gross.

Aikouka

Lifer
Nov 27, 2001

Not that I'd know, but if you do some Googling, you'll see some interesting devices. :oops: Oh, and if you want to find them easier, just add "Japanese" to your search. :D

sxr7171

Diamond Member
Jun 21, 2002
I just tried at PS VR and beyond the excellent ergonomics the lens and the screen are spectacular. Almost can't see the pixels and no fresnel lens effects. If this headset could be used with a PC I'd get it despite the much weaker tracking. The design is just on another level.

Linux23

Lifer
Apr 9, 2000
I hate these fresnel lenses. What's the reason behind them using these terrible lenses? It takes me out of the experience in some games.