General VR discussion thread

Page 44 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

ImpulsE69

Lifer
Jan 8, 2010
I wonder if with the adult oriented VR if there will be additional add-ons that work with the VR and allow the user to "experience" coitus in the traditionally male role, despite their authentic gender.

It's an exciting age we live in, boys and girls!

Yes. They are already demoing and selling some. I have insider info, not personal experience ;)

gorobei

Diamond Member
Jan 7, 2007
I hate these fresnel lenses. What's the reason behind them using these terrible lenses? It takes me out of the experience in some games.
primarily cost and thickness. fresnel lenses are comparatively cheap to make compared to either plastic or glass lenses with that level of distortion. especially with the rifts multi range vertical focus. plus the more refraction needed for a solid lens, you can run into chromatic abberation on the edges.

with weight and depth being an issue for this first gen hmd, a flat solution like fresnels are appropriate. ideally in a 3rd or 4th gen device we would be getting into light field displays like the avegant or some of nv experiments.

flexy

Diamond Member
Sep 28, 2001
Wow....hope it's not a repost.

http://www.pcworld.com/article/3136...dsets-6-thing-we-know-and-1-big-question.html

http://www.theverge.com/2016/10/26/...aphic-virtual-reality-headset-announced-price

Microsoft just revealed they will release a whole set of VR goggles early next year. They will have "inside-out six-degree-of-freedom sensors", means they don't require any cameras, "lighthouses" or a special room. You just put them on and ready to go and it tracks movement. And they will be "damn cheap" "starting at $299".

Also, they will require a much less powerful PC, but why this is, I don't know. (Lower resolution? MAYBE...hmm..speculative...foveated rendering? That would be awesome.)

Also..those are NOT the HoloLenses of course, but they will have some of its functionality, means one can assume they would also have a camera built in to being able to provide augmented reality features in addition to "real" VR.

So or so, it sounded interesting to me.

Not much else is known yet.

[...] Specs including field-of-view and resolution for some of the third-party offerings will be unveiled at upcoming WinHEC (Windows Hardware Engineering Community) events in December. For now, what Kipman could reveal included confirmation that they’ll be fully VR headsets, meaning there’s no transparency for the display, and that they’re require a cable.

All the hardware will offer six degrees of freedom and inside-out tracking, however. This is huge, in that it means owners of the headset won’t require any additional lighthouses or equipment to experience VR software where they can move around in space. That’s a big advantage over more complicated room-scale VR setups including the more expensive Oculus Rift and HTC Vive.

Kipman also strongly suggested to Polygon that the headsets will hit a number of price points, and that hardware at these differing costs will offer different experiences. It’ll be similar to how differently priced PCs have different specs and experiences, essentially. That means you’re definitely not going to get an Oculus-like experience in a $299 headset but it’s an approach that’s much more likely to appeal to a more mass market audience for VR.

I also learned that there is a Win 10 "Creators's update" coming up, which will support these devices...

Plus, seems that really everyone is working on "the next best and cool" VR set, including Google...so if you still need proof that VR is here to stay..

Last edited:

ImpulsE69

Lifer
Jan 8, 2010
Wow....hope it's not a repost.

http://www.pcworld.com/article/3136...dsets-6-thing-we-know-and-1-big-question.html

http://www.theverge.com/2016/10/26/...aphic-virtual-reality-headset-announced-price

Microsoft just revealed they will release a whole set of VR goggles early next year. They will have "inside-out six-degree-of-freedom sensors", means they don't require any cameras, "lighthouses" or a special room. You just put them on and ready to go and it tracks movement. And they will be "damn cheap" "starting at $299".

Also, they will require a much less powerful PC, but why this is, I don't know. (Lower resolution? MAYBE...hmm..speculative...foveated rendering? That would be awesome.)

Also..those are NOT the HoloLenses of course, but they will have some of its functionality, means one can assume they would also have a camera built in to being able to provide augmented reality features in addition to "real" VR.

So or so, it sounded interesting to me.

Not much else is known yet.

I also learned that there is a Win 10 "Creators's update" coming up, which will support these devices...

Plus, seems that really everyone is working on "the next best and cool" VR set, including Google...so if you still need proof that VR is here to stay..

I'm cautiously optimistic. MS likes to hype things up so people will look at them, but I find it highly suspect that it won't be nearly as good as they are letting on for the price.

I played Ghost Town Mine Ride & Shooting Gallery tonight. Quite an experience.

flexy

Diamond Member
Sep 28, 2001
Well from the information we have, they will release many devices in different price ranges, with the cheap ones likely having poop resolution and no tracking. Will have to see what they reveal in December. I like the idea of only ONE cable required. Even setting up the Rift (which I am still waiting for in the mail : ) with the camera I consider a slight "pain in the ass". My cats have a tendency to knock everything over and they sure will do with the sensor on the desk.

pj-

May 5, 2015
who cares how cheap it is, it's not going to have motion controls without some sort of external tracking.

It'll be the cheapest solution for cockpit VR, but will be basically useless for any vive games or oculus touch games.

sxr7171

Diamond Member
Jun 21, 2002
I hate these fresnel lenses. What's the reason behind them using these terrible lenses? It takes me out of the experience in some games.

primarily cost and thickness. fresnel lenses are comparatively cheap to make compared to either plastic or glass lenses with that level of distortion. especially with the rifts multi range vertical focus. plus the more refraction needed for a solid lens, you can run into chromatic abberation on the edges.

with weight and depth being an issue for this first gen hmd, a flat solution like fresnels are appropriate. ideally in a 3rd or 4th gen device we would be getting into light field displays like the avegant or some of nv experiments.

How did Sony do it? That headset is a revelation in comfort and optics.

sxr7171

Diamond Member
Jun 21, 2002
I'm cautiously optimistic. MS likes to hype things up so people will look at them, but I find it highly suspect that it won't be nearly as good as they are letting on for the price.

I played Ghost Town Mine Ride & Shooting Gallery tonight. Quite an experience.

You mean like how XB1 would be like a supercomputer because they use the Azure cloud to assist? Their promises are a true joke in the industry. Such is the reputation they've cultivated.

sxr7171

Diamond Member
Jun 21, 2002
While the PS VR hardware is easily the best out there the downside is the puny PS4 trying to power it. There is alaising everywhere and generally it's blurry. Motion is just plain blurry. I wouldn't call a game like Rigs unplayable but just primitive kind of like a better virtual boy.

What this means for MS $299 headsets I don't know. But the all the content will be targeted at weak PCs it would seem.

The PS4 pro powering the PS VR would actually be a great system. The motion controls being the only downfall. It works pretty great as long as you're in front of the camera.

Kaido

Elite Member & Kitchen Overlord
Feb 14, 2004
While the PS VR hardware is easily the best out there the downside is the puny PS4 trying to power it. There is alaising everywhere and generally it's blurry. Motion is just plain blurry. I wouldn't call a game like Rigs unplayable but just primitive kind of like a better virtual boy.

What this means for MS $299 headsets I don't know. But the all the content will be targeted at weak PCs it would seem.

The PS4 pro powering the PS VR would actually be a great system. The motion controls being the only downfall. It works pretty great as long as you're in front of the camera.

I was thinking about getting one for Christmas (PSVR), but I'm reading too many complaints about tracking issues...think I'll just stick with my Vive & hold off until the next generation of console VR comes out.

sxr7171

Diamond Member
Jun 21, 2002
I was thinking about getting one for Christmas (PSVR), but I'm reading too many complaints about tracking issues...think I'll just stick with my Vive & hold off until the next generation of console VR comes out.

The tracking isn't the best but it's good if you are in front of the camera.

If I could play Open VR games on the PS VR with Vive controllers I'd be all over it.

sxr7171

Diamond Member
Jun 21, 2002
That's great but somebody fix that ridiculous strap.

I guess that's pretty harsh but they really need to work on that.

Last edited:

flexy

Diamond Member
Sep 28, 2001
Sorry this is somewhat OT, but yet related. Just wanted to rant.

So I purchased a Rift from someone on a classified site on 11/3. The guy is 100% trustworthy. The guy got several Rifts and GTX 1080s from Amazon since he had a 25% coupon, means he made a few bucks with each re-sale, but not much. The Rifts were basically new, either un-opened, or some just tested for a few hours.

Needless to say, I am looking forward to a Rift like crazy.

Guy gives the Rift to the DHL retail outlet, and it's scanned in and tracking shows "shipment was picked up" (Proof the package was picked up by DHL)

And that's it. Tracking stopped and no updates ever since. To me here in Spain, a package from Germany ALWAYS takes 6-7 days, and I already bought a shitload of stuff online, including classified sites, ebay etc. Not ever had I one single problem with mail. Of course, now it's 8 days gone and we have no doubt the package is "lost". The first time EVER this happened. Tracking clearly shows that someone at DHL must have stolen the package since it never made it to the scan-in at the DHL start-center.

Rather pissed...

For him, the seller, even more. Because now comes the kicker: Each package w/ DHL is by default insured up to €500. (As an additional layer of security I also paid this from my side with Paypal "pay for goods and services", this just as a side note).

But the dude TOSSED his DHL receipt, so he is likely not getting his money back. Can you believe it? As it looks he is not even pursuing an investigation since DHL requires a scan of the receipt, but since he tossed it....

I am fine (just a little pissed), since the guy had one more Rift left, which he will send off to me on Monday. (We waited until today to see whether tracking updates or I still get the package. Nothing of course.)

He made the mistake that he used the original package with no outer box, it's clear to us that someone at fricking DHL stole the package and someone now enjoys a free Rift for Christmas. Tip: If you send something valuable and "appealing" in the mail, ALWAYS put it in a neutral box. And keep the fricking recipe!

Last edited:

sxr7171

Diamond Member
Jun 21, 2002
Sorry this is somewhat OT, but yet related. Just wanted to rant.

So I purchased a Rift from someone on a classified site on 11/3. The guy is 100% trustworthy. The guy got several Rifts and GTX 1080s from Amazon since he had a 25% coupon, means he made a few bucks with each re-sale, but not much. The Rifts were basically new, either un-opened, or some just tested for a few hours.

Needless to say, I am looking forward to a Rift like crazy.

Guy gives the Rift to the DHL retail outlet, and it's scanned in and tracking shows "shipment was picked up" (Proof the package was picked up by DHL)

And that's it. Tracking stopped and no updates ever since. To me here in Spain, a package from Germany ALWAYS takes 6-7 days, and I already bought a shitload of stuff online, including classified sites, ebay etc. Not ever had I one single problem with mail. Of course, now it's 8 days gone and we have no doubt the package is "lost". The first time EVER this happened. Tracking clearly shows that someone at DHL must have stolen the package since it never made it to the scan-in at the DHL start-center.

Rather pissed...

For him, the seller, even more. Because now comes the kicker: Each package w/ DHL is by default insured up to €500. (As an additional layer of security I also paid this from my side with Paypal "pay for goods and services", this just as a side note).

But the dude TOSSED his DHL receipt, so he is likely not getting his money back. Can you believe it? As it looks he is not even pursuing an investigation since DHL requires a scan of the receipt, but since he tossed it....

I am fine (just a little pissed), since the guy had one more Rift left, which he will send off to me on Monday. (We waited until today to see whether tracking updates or I still get the package. Nothing of course.)

He made the mistake that he used the original package with no outer box, it's clear to us that someone at fricking DHL stole the package and someone now enjoys a free Rift for Christmas. Tip: If you send something valuable and "appealing" in the mail, ALWAYS put it in a neutral box. And keep the fricking recipe!

I'm glad it worked out in the end. That seller learned an expensive lesson.

I lose paper receipts all day but it's just so easy to take a photo with your phone and have a record of things that might be important.

Sho'Nuff

Diamond Member
Jul 12, 2007
Hey All - Any thoughts one what a decent price is for a used vive? There is someone selling one near me for $500, lightly used. That seems pretty good compared to what I've seen online, but not sure if there is anything I should be aware of. Thoughts?

flexy

Diamond Member
Sep 28, 2001
I'm glad it worked out in the end. That seller learned an expensive lesson.

I lose paper receipts all day but it's just so easy to take a photo with your phone and have a record of things that might be important.

True. But I have an inkling the loss didn't hurt him that much. He must have spent about €4k to buy items on Amazon (like 3 rifts, 3 GTX 1080 etc.), and those are only the items I know about. He also sells one of these super-fancy "limited edition" racing bicycles which cost new €10K. Someone poor doesn't own a €10k bicycle...

As for Vive for $500, this is ridiculously cheap. Just be careful on classifieds, there are lots of scammers around. If he offers pickup and you know he's genuine...awesome price.

Sho'Nuff

Diamond Member
Jul 12, 2007
So I ended up buying the vive. The seller lived only a half mile from me and let me test it out on his pc to show that it worked. In general its in great condition. That said, I got it home and set up and so far its . . . ok. Going to take some tweaking I think. The in focus FOV seems to be quite small. Really noticeable in the menus. Hopefully I can find a workaround.

ImpulsE69

Lifer
Jan 8, 2010
the feild of focus in both headsets is pretty small. everything tends to get a bit blurry pretty quickly if it isn't just right on your head. You will find yourself constantly adjusting it.

sxr7171

Diamond Member
Jun 21, 2002
So I ended up buying the vive. The seller lived only a half mile from me and let me test it out on his pc to show that it worked. In general its in great condition. That said, I got it home and set up and so far its . . . ok. Going to take some tweaking I think. The in focus FOV seems to be quite small. Really noticeable in the menus. Hopefully I can find a workaround.

You'll get used to it. You'll train yourself to turn your head instead of moving your eyes.

Sho'Nuff

Diamond Member
Jul 12, 2007
You'll get used to it. You'll train yourself to turn your head instead of moving your eyes.

I found out this weekend that I was wearing the Vive too low on my face. Once I raised it up a bit things got a lot clearer.

For giggles I picked up the Oculus rift this weekend so I could do a side by side comparison of them. While the Vive is definitely more immersive (at least until the Oculus touch controllers come out), I think the Oculus might be a better fit for my space. I have both systems set up in my basement office, which has a pretty low ceiling (7' 3"). As a result, the Vive sensors are only just a smidge higher than their minimum installation height. That and the fact that I am pretty tall (6' 2") appears to be causing some tracking issues with the Vive when I am standing up. Sitting down there are no tracking issues with the Vive. The desktop based sensor for the Oculus has no such issues, though I was sitting down the whole time I used it this weekend. So - one point in favor of Oculus.

That said, I did experience quite a bit of motion sickness/dizziness while using the Oculus, whereas I didn't experience that at all with the Vive. Its possible that this is due to the fact that I tried out much more intense vr experiences with the Oculus (Eve Valkyrie) vs the Vive (Serious Sam), but I'm not sure as I primarily felt ill/dizzy when playing lucky's tail on the Oculus. It was particularly bad when the camera would move and I forgot to move my head with it. The sensation was strikingly similar to what I used to experience as a kid after spinning around a whole bunch of times and then stopping. I.e., my head was stopped but the world continued to spin. Anyway +1 point for the vive.

Graphics wise I noticed no major difference between the Oculus and the Vive. The vive maybe has a smidge wider FOV. On the other hand, I found the oculus display to be more clear and that it was a bit easier to maintain the headset in a position on my head that kept the image clear. No points to either side as this was a tossup IMO.

Audio - Its hard to complain about the audio quality with regard to a VR headset, but its very clear that Oculus thought out the whole user-friendliness aspect a lot better than HTC. Having earphones built into the headset makes it extremely easy to just put on the Rift and play. The sound quality from the included headset isn't great, but it gets the job done. On the other hand, I have consistently found the process of putting on headphones when wearing the vive to be a chore. This is particularly true as one has to done the vive BEFORE donning headphones. While the vive's included camera helps with locating said headphones once the headset is on, the whole process remains cumbersome. Not to mention that the combined weight of the Vive plus decent headphones on your head make it feel like you are wearing a turban or some other head wrap. And in my case, the headphone cable is yet another cable that has to run down my back, along with the already substantial cables running from the Vive to my pc. So +1 point to oculus.

Comfort - Apart from minor differences in weight, strapping, etc., both headsets feel remarkably similar when on my face. I do prefer the cushyness of the vive's included face pads over the one size fits all oculus, but its the difference is not enough for me to give one set a mark over the other.

Last edited:

Mutilator

Diamond Member
Aug 22, 2000
Audio - Its hard to complain about the audio quality with regard to a VR headset, but its very clear that Oculus thought out the whole user-friendliness aspect a lot better than HTC. Having earphones built into the headset makes it extremely easy to just put on the Rift and play. The sound quality from the included headset isn't great, but it gets the job done. On the other hand, I have consistently found the process of putting on headphones when wearing the vive to be a chore. This is particularly true as one has to done the vive BEFORE donning headphones. While the vive's included camera helps with locating said headphones once the headset is on, the whole process remains cumbersome. Not to mention that the combined weight of the Vive plus decent headphones on your head make it feel like you are wearing a turban or some other head wrap. And in my case, the headphone cable is yet another cable that has to run down my back, along with the already substantial cables running from the Vive to my pc. So +1 point to oculus.

If you're using regular headphones with the Vive then routing the cable around on the headset is important - I bundle mine up and then hold them on top with the included velcro strap, others add additional velcro. Also to make putting them on and off a lot easier when you get done playing simply take the headphones off your ears and move them forward and let them grab on to the side of the Vive itself. This will allow you to simply take it all off at once and later put it all back on at once. Maybe this will link correctly:
m8sjydq81x6x.gif

Last edited:
Reactions: Sho'Nuff

Sho'Nuff

Diamond Member
Jul 12, 2007
Interesting technique. I'll give it a try. Seems like it would work best with a set of headphones that are dedicated to the Vive.