GeForce Titan coming end of February

Page 89 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

f1sherman

Platinum Member
Apr 5, 2011
the only way prices are going to be brought back to USD 500 - 600 is if AMD competes and puts up a fight.

You know that may be so, but I wouldnt be so sure. People will upgrade only if price/perf./features ratio is acceptable - AMD or no AMD.

But OTOH it's pretty clear that some of NV price inflation was due to AMD swallowing much more TSMC 28nm wafers than it can sell.

raghu78

Diamond Member
Aug 23, 2012
I think all the nonsense about pricing compared to previous generations needs to go.

This is a specialty card, your piece of Titan... One of the largest super computers in the world.

plain rubbish. similar die sized chips from Nvidia have sold for USD 500. in fact GTX 280 had the largest die size at 576 sq mm ever for a Nvidia GPU. This is what happens when you have no competition. AMD is to blame here because they don't have a HD 8970 competing anywhere close to Titan. But Nvidia also deserves criticism for their pricing.

BallaTheFeared

Diamond Member
Nov 15, 2010
Don't know why but I'm starting to understand Russian's reasoning. Maybe because I was expecting a card from the new generation that's almost twice as fast than my GTX570 for the same 300$ it cost me 20 months ago. Same as GF110 was compared to GT200 or GT200 to G92.

I would agree, if it wasn't fully enabled on the DP side.

With an ini edit you can roll this to an overclocked K20X, it's nothing like the 570/580 in that regard.

Hopefully we see gamer centered cards based on GK110, with less vram and dp cut to reduce the price.

Believe it or not that card is at a massive price reduction compared to what they could get for it in workstation, so it is Nvidia actually doing us a favor by offering it. Nothing more, trolling aside.

Last edited:

SirPauly

Diamond Member
Apr 28, 2009
So do you think we'll see a DP cut, 3GB model for under $600 soonish? :|

Will there be any other GeForce SKU's based on the Gk-110? I don't know -- depends on how the market reacts with Titan. The monolith may finally have performance separation from AMD -- did take a few architectures but when one did see what nVidia did with the GK-104 -- this isn't surprising and neither is its price-point.

Haserath

Sep 12, 2010
#1: What's that smoldering pile over there?
#2: Well... Titan was released just a little while ago.
#1: oh... So... AMD then?
#2: Yep...

raghu78

Diamond Member
Aug 23, 2012
I would agree, if it wasn't fully enabled on the DP side.

With an ini edit you can flash this to an overclocked K20X, it's nothing like the 570/580 in that regard.

Hopefully we see gamer centered cards based on GK110, with less vram and dp cut to reduce the price.

this chip has features disabled to clear not let it allow to compete with K20X.

http://www.anandtech.com/show/6760/nvidias-geforce-gtx-titan-part-1/4

"NVIDIA has stripped GK110 of some of its reliability and scalability features in order to maintain the Tesla/GeForce market segmentation, which means Titan for compute is left for small-scale workloads that don’t require Tesla’s greater reliability. ECC memory protection is of course gone, but also gone is HyperQ’s MPI functionality, and GPU Direct’s RDMA functionality (DMA between the GPU and 3rd party PCIe devices). Other than ECC these are much more market-specific features, and as such while Titan is effectively locked out of highly distributed scenarios, this should be fine for smaller workloads."

It does not cost Nvidia much to enable full 1/3 speed DP processing as in GK110 Tesla.

But the other point that you raised is very important. a 3GB Titan with 1/24 DP only and a better price at USD 650 would really make an outstanding product for gamers.

RussianSensation

Elite Member
Sep 5, 2003

This is why I was so peeved about that Thread's title because I knew it would mislead a lot of people who won't bother reading any of the posts following the OP's pics. You didn't read that thread carefully, did you? Your card is 1125mhz on stock voltage. He has put in 1.29V into the GPU core and 1.80V into GDDR5 and maxed out his cards. Those measurements are not real world power consumption numbers of an HD7970 1125mhz on 1.174-1.175V. Each of his cards is using 75-100W more than yours.

BallaTheFeared

Diamond Member
Nov 15, 2010
this chip has features disabled to clear not let it allow to compete with K20X.

http://www.anandtech.com/show/6760/nvidias-geforce-gtx-titan-part-1/4

"NVIDIA has stripped GK110 of some of its reliability and scalability features in order to maintain the Tesla/GeForce market segmentation, which means Titan for compute is left for small-scale workloads that don’t require Tesla’s greater reliability. ECC memory protection is of course gone, but also gone is HyperQ’s MPI functionality, and GPU Direct’s RDMA functionality (DMA between the GPU and 3rd party PCIe devices). Other than ECC these are much more market-specific features, and as such while Titan is effectively locked out of highly distributed scenarios, this should be fine for smaller workloads."

It does not cost Nvidia much to enable full 1/3 speed DP processing as in GK110 Tesla.

But the other point that you raised is very important. a 3GB Titan with 1/24 DP only and a better price at USD 650 would really make an outstanding product for gamers.

Thanks for the clarification!

RussianSensation

Elite Member
Sep 5, 2003
So much for no gaming aspects of the GK110 GPU ^^

No idea what that even means. The functional units inside GK110 are perfectly capable for graphics. You seem to have a problem with Roy's statements about NV using a workstation card as a gaming card? If so, email or call him. You keep quoting me irrelevant comments that have nothing to do with your statements. My comment was related to DP functionality and how NV was able to extract more efficiency through an engineering innovation and yet you responded to me about GK110 not being a gaming card. :rolleyes:

Then you posted something like 2-3 responses claiming I compared GTX660Ti SLI. Ya, you are definitely not a lawyer since you seem to be tying unrelated ideas and can't read what's actually being written.

LOL what do you mean by that?
Because I am pretty sure NV did just that.

Why don't you instead give an advice or two to AMD, because these guys seem to be doing just fine :hmm:
And if you're not talking about the business, but about the little feelings of average-forum-Joe, then say so, and stop talking about the industry.

Ummm no, that's how the industry has worked for a decade. Go look up launch dates and prices. NV hasn't moved the price/performance with Titan at all. They did with 7900GTX -> 8800GTX -> GTX280/285 -> GTX480/580 -> GTX680.

http://www.computerbase.de/artikel/grafikkarten/2011/bericht-grafikkarten-evolution/3/

All NV has done is repackaged GTX690 level of performance without the SLI scaling issues. The price is still $999 MSRP which is what GTX690 launched with and the performance is not any better. The Titan is also 100% more expensive than GTX680's MSRP but performance seems to have moved 45-50%? This isn't at all like 7900GTX to GTX680. Pretty funny you are trying to argue against history of NV's previous successive GPU generations as each of those brought significant improvements in price/performance when comparing MSRPs. GPUs either get faster for a similar price or get cheaper for a similar level of performance over time. Titan doesn't deliver on either of these over GTX680 SLI/GTX690 1 year later. Therefore, it's not at all like what NV has done in the past on a regular basis.

Last edited:

SirPauly

Diamond Member
Apr 28, 2009
I have now been conditioned to think 499 dollars is too low for flag ship performance now, hehe!

Awesome chip and they must feel real proud creating it for gamers -- and even the minor details like an aesthetically pleasing Sli bridge was created.

exar333

Diamond Member
Feb 7, 2004
Although not a big fan of the pricing, this GPU is exactly what a lot of multi-GPU users or 1600P users want. This will be a much better option (performance-wise) for scenarios where a single 680GTX or 7970 is not enough, but x2 is a little overkill. The elegance of Titan is that you get close to a GTX 690 performance on a single GPU. If this product was even $699, I think it would be well-received.

I will never go back to the issues of multi-GPU, so this is a possible option for me with the next gen a while off.

f1sherman

Platinum Member
Apr 5, 2011
Ummm no, that's how the industry has worked for a decade. Go look up launch dates and prices. NV hasn't moved the price/performance with Titan at all. They did with 7900GTX -> 8800GTX -> GTX280/285 -> GTX480/580 -> GTX680.

Are we talking about the most complex piece of silicon ever to be released on planet Earth?
King of the Kings, Master of GPU Universe, better known as Titan?

Have you really expected it to be price/performance mover?
Where... in which industry do you have king-of-the-hill, supreme performance & feature leader, that is also a people's product ie. price/perf leader? WHERE

Titan is still a bargain compared to i7 3960X
b3dbmoqb.png

Last edited:

raghu78

Diamond Member
Aug 23, 2012
Are we talking about the most complex piece of silicon ever to be released on planet Earth?
King of the Kings, Master of GPU Universe, better known as Titan?

Have you really expected it to be price/performance mover?
Where... in which industry do you have king-of-the-hill, supreme performance & feature leader, that is also a people's product ie. price/perf leader? WHERE

Titan is still a bargain compared to i7 3960X

Titan with 550 sq mm die size is smaller than GTX 280 which measured 576 sq mm. we all know what happened when AMD released HD 4870. the GTX 280 fell from USD 650 to USD 500

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of_Nvidia_graphics_processing_units#GeForce_200_Series

Titan is overpriced because of lack of competition. its simple.

BallaTheFeared

Diamond Member
Nov 15, 2010
Except Titan is faster, has better perf/w, has overclocking potential, has unlocked voltage, has full speed DP performance for games, is quieter, doesn't use excessive power, looks better, smells better, feels better, everything about it is better, oh except price.

Must suck trying to derail a cards launch when the only metric AMD can compete in is price/perf after getting cut countless times by the competition of nvidia's mid-range GPU.

f1sherman

Platinum Member
Apr 5, 2011
Titan with 550 sq mm die size is smaller than GTX 280 which measured 576 sq mm. we all know what happened when AMD released HD 4870. the GTX 280 fell from USD 650 to USD 500

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of_Nvidia_graphics_processing_units#GeForce_200_Series

Titan is overpriced because of lack of competition. its simple.

Partly because of no competition. Maybe... $100.

But the bulk of it is:

1. need to return the investment asap (chip R&D - tens, perhaps 100s of M$) and pricing it accordingly
  2. Dirty TSMC $#@*(& ; AMD and Qualcomm eating NV's wafers (resource limitation)
    (at $799 it would never be in stores)
  3. halo product - you can price it the heck you want at, ie. responsibility to it's shareholders and workers to maximize profit

SolMiester

Diamond Member
Dec 19, 2004
This is how I see it. I can do $1000 for a pair of high end cards, but $2000 says to me that is airfare for one of us on our next vacation - and a sum of money I wouldn't like seeing out of the bank for video cards.

I just had to comment on this bit...$2k for an airfare that is a memory after 12hrs.....I traveled the world for 15 yrs (im so over flying), I know what I would spend my money on....if I had $2k to spare...however, I dont have enough for a 660Ti, let alone one of these.....

Deltaechoe

Feb 18, 2013
All I know at this point is that it has enough power to play my games combined with enough computational power (even though it has gimped DP) without me having to spend over 4k on an acutal workstation card and a gfx card combined. For my use, this is still a decent deal

Status
Not open for further replies.