GeForce Titan coming end of February

Page 90 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

railven

Diamond Member
Mar 25, 2010
This is why I was so peeved about that Thread's title because I knew it would mislead a lot of people who won't bother reading any of the posts following the OP's pics. You didn't read that thread carefully, did you? Your card is 1125mhz on stock voltage. He has put in 1.29V into the GPU core and 1.80V into GDDR5 and maxed out his cards. Those measurements are not real world power consumption numbers of an HD7970 1125mhz on 1.174-1.175V. Each of his cards is using 75-100W more than yours.

If you actually read the rest of my post, you'd have realized - I did read his thread. Instead of just snipping my post and leaving 2xGPU...yeah, nevermind, I've had this dance with you - you only hear/argue what you want.

ocre

Golden Member
Dec 26, 2008
The card is extremely interesting. I will sit back to see what comes of it. I think the limited quantities are the largest factor in the high price. We really got to wait to see, but if it sells out in the first week at the price they set than how in the fudge can we say its too high?

There is some good news. Titan is not a 10,000 run limited release! So this makes me think that over time stock and availability should imprrove. This means the price should come down some.

Look, titan is gonna be the top dawg even when the 780 hits the street. Nvidia plans on keeping this chip out there. If nvidia could sell their large dies for cheaper before, i am betting they will be able to again. But i really feel like the limited quantities is the huge factor in the high pricing. When the 780 comes out, and its 18-20% faster than the 680, titan will have to be cheaper than it is today.

I say everyone who isnt buying titan should sit back and watch how this plays out. I really think the card is great but its too rare right now. Over the next yr i bet that titan will come down in price. There is still room for an every more powerful gtx110 to come out. It could be the titan pro. I mean, titan really is making things look a lot more interesting to me. And i dont think anyone should expect the market to stand still. This is gonna be interesting to watch.

Phynaz

Lifer
Mar 13, 2006
By allowing the publication of speeds, feeds, cores, SIMDs and branding during the preview period, you have the opportunity to discuss the innovations that AMD is making with AMD A-Series APUs and how these are relevant to today’s compute environment and workloads.

Let's fix that:

"By allowing the publication of speeds, feeds, cores, SIMDs and branding during the preview period, you have the opportunity to discuss the innovations that Nvidia is making with Titan GPUs and how these are relevant to today’s compute environment and workloads."

Nvidia, always innovating :)

f1sherman

Platinum Member
Apr 5, 2011
Maybe 1% of 1% know what you are talking about ;)

Anyway I am not so sure that both situations are identical, but TR knows where to draw the line, and is making a stance.

BallaTheFeared

Diamond Member
Nov 15, 2010
There is a big difference lol.

With the APU AMD was trying to hide it's awful cpu.

With Titan, Nvidia is just whipping out their giant epeen and slapping it across AMD's face saying "You like that, not just a workstation card now is it?".

sontin

Diamond Member
Sep 12, 2011
Nope. I have no idea where you got THAT from.

http://techreport.com/news/24376/etc

Maybe you should read your link:
Nvidia hasn't asked us to release some of our independent performance results sooner and others later, in order to shape the perception of its product.

I don't find the link but the reason why there are no performance result - even nVidia took their slide off - is because there was a driver problem. And now reviewer have time to finish their work until Thursday.

NTMBK

Lifer
Nov 14, 2011
Except Titan is faster, has better perf/w, has overclocking potential, has unlocked voltage, has full speed DP performance for games, is quieter, doesn't use excessive power, looks better, smells better, feels better, everything about it is better, oh except price.

Must suck trying to derail a cards launch when the only metric AMD can compete in is price/perf after getting cut countless times by the competition of nvidia's mid-range GPU.

Me, derail? You're the one going on about HPC! :p

(Also, enabling full DP performance in the driver requires a tradeoff in gaming performance.)

Phynaz

Lifer
Mar 13, 2006
Maybe you should read your link:

I don't find the link but the reason why there are no performance result - even nVidia took their slide off - is because there was a driver problem. And now reviewer have time to finish their work until Thursday.

Nowhere did they say they were held up or were testing a new driver or there was a driver problem.

How about you provide a link to your own assertion?

Edit: And make it reputable one please.

Last edited:

Enigmoid

Platinum Member
Sep 27, 2012
Does anyone feel that with the rise of mobile gaming and the general decline in the desktop pc it might be fundamentally unwise to try to increase the historic price of gpus? And the new consoles coming out soon?

BallaTheFeared

Diamond Member
Nov 15, 2010
Me, derail? You're the one going on about HPC! :p

(Also, enabling full DP performance in the driver requires a tradeoff in gaming performance.)

It's not you, sorry if that seemed to be directed towards you.

Trade off is the increased TDP created by the units themselves, which isn't anything an overclocking forum such as this should concern themselves with.

Phynaz

Lifer
Mar 13, 2006
Maybe 1% of 1% know what you are talking about ;)

Anyway I am not so sure that both situations are identical, but TR knows where to draw the line, and is making a stance.

They (mostly) aren't, I'm just having some fun, hence the :)

May 13, 2009
Does anyone feel that with the rise of mobile gaming and the general decline in the desktop pc it might be fundamentally unwise to try to increase the historic price of gpus? And the new consoles coming out soon?

An idiot is born every minute. Nvidia is cashing in on this lucrative market.

f1sherman

Platinum Member
Apr 5, 2011
An idiot is born every minute. Nvidia is cashing in on this lucrative market.

LOL

hang on for a sec...

cartman_scott.jpg

SolMiester

Diamond Member
Dec 19, 2004
This temp controlled overclocking sounds awesome.....I wonder what the average will be under water? If its within 15% of 690, perhaps O/C will reach 690 perf?

May 13, 2009
LOL

hang on for a sec...

cartman_scott.jpg

What am I crying about? I'd never even consider this card over a 7970 that gives me 3GB and free games for under $400. Heck I just installed a trailer hitch on my truck and put in a new Bluetooth sound system in it for $400. I could still put 4 new tires on my truck and it would still wouldn't even get to $1000. This is a fools game that I won't participate in. It's like spending $5000 on rims for your $3000 car. People don't envy your new rims.They think you're a friggin clown.

blastingcap

Diamond Member
Sep 16, 2010
What am I crying about? I'd never even consider this card over a 7970 that gives me 3GB and free games for under $400. Heck I just installed a trailer hitch on my truck and put in a new Bluetooth sound system in it for $400. I could still put 4 new tires on my truck and it would still wouldn't even get to $1000. This is a fools game that I won't participate in. It's like spending $5000 on rims for your $3000 car. People don't envy your new rims.They think you're a friggin clown.

I thought oilfield workers made tons of money right now, especially those in North Dakota....

CPUGuy

Nov 20, 2008
What is the value of this card if the PS4 and the next xbox don't use nv hardware?

Just curious.

Status
Not open for further replies.