Game sequel you are willing to pay more than $100 for?

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

kalrith

Diamond Member
Aug 22, 2005
Warcraft 3 is an example of a game that I got hundreds of hours of play time from. However, it wasn't from the game itself; it's from custom games, such as Battle Tanks.

Starcraft 2 custom games are lame by comparison. By following the thread on the Battle Tanks forum in which they planned to make an SC2 Battle Tanks, the patch updates make many changes that break the coding of the custom games.

Anyways, I could see a game being worth $100 to me (but I still don't think they could charge $100) if it has a good campaign but also has the ability for people to develop custom games, custom stories, etc. There's a bit of that with mods for games like Skyrim and Oblivion, but I don't think those match what's been done with Warcraft 3 custom games.

I'm not sure if anyone remembers it, but there was a game called FRUA (Forgotten Realms: Unlimited Adventures), which basically allowed users to create their own versions of the Forgotten Realms games, such as Pool of Radiance. If a game like that were released and users spent time creating stories for it, then I think that would be incredible.

I also agree about $100 being too much for any game, unless it comes with custom hardware or separate installments. An example of custom hardware would be steering wheels for racing games or instruments for Rock Band. An example of separate installments would be Starcraft 2, where there's not an expansion pack that adds 20% to the game, but there's a completely new campaign that adds 100% to the game.

dangerman1337

Sep 16, 2010
I'd love to see a proper full-fledged C&C: Red Alert 4 that's simply about the Allies (that resemble today's military + high tech stuff) and Soviets (classic Powerhouse with some grim stuff like Psionics and Tesla stuff) and no 3rd side, return to the more grim RA1 tone. But Also overhaul the gameplay like fully developed armor values, larger scale in general (Infantry would be relatively cheaper and assignable to form squads/fireteams because mostly they're overpriced IMO) and more. If it was good enough maybe 80 USD, think 100 USD would be too much.

Pr0d1gy

Diamond Member
Jan 30, 2005
None. I really don't see where the gaming industry gets off thinking their product is worth more than twice as much as a blockbuster big budget movie to begin with.

IGemini

Platinum Member
Nov 5, 2010
star wars rebellion
star trek academies

Wow, kinda surprised to see those mentioned. :thumbsup: Rebellion would've been phenomenal if their UI was made properly and had ground combat involvement. But it was a semi-decent strategy game. STA marked Shatner's epic ballooning point, I remember thinking "where did his eyes go?"

I also agree that $100 is way too much for ANY game, refreshed or otherwise. Skyrim was the last game in the past decade I spent full price--and it was largely by impulse. I didn't get the total play time I thought I would (yet) but I don't regret it so far. There are a few games I would spend as much (or a bit more, =<$80).

Final Fantasy VII (IF this ever gets remade I'd love to see it on PC, but I would actually buy a PS3 if it came down to it)
Wing Commander
MechWarrior/BattleTech (by this I mean beyond the MO remake they're doing now...maybe expanding to the naval/aerofighter aspect of the universe)

MetalMat

Diamond Member
Jun 14, 2004
Crusader No Regret
250px-Noregret_box_art.jpg

Last edited:

TerryMathews

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
I'd pay $100 for a Steel Battalion to be ported and updated on to the PC. I already have the controller and original game still. Or a proper sequel not some kinetic crap, again preferably on the PC.

That being said, I did pay $120 for Mechwarrior Online with getting the Legendary Founder's pack, close as I'll get to Steel Battalion I'm guessing.

Xbox controllers are usb with a special driver. The controller can work on a pc. You could play MW4 with it.

KaOTiK

Lifer
Feb 5, 2001
Xbox controllers are usb with a special driver. The controller can work on a pc. You could play MW4 with it.

Mechwarrior and Steel Battalion are so different in the way they actually play. Besides, I want SB updated, even though it is graphically better then MW4 already from what I remember. I love both series, I just really dig SB because they went all out to immerse you into it.

Raduque

Lifer
Aug 22, 2004
Freespace 3
Baldurs Gate 3
Planescape: Torment 2
Homeworld 3

83 posts to mention Homeworld.

A true Homeworld sequel more like Cataclysm or Homeworld 1 would be godly and I would gladly pay $100 for it.

Also, a Freespace sequel would be amazing. Don't know if I'd pay $100 for it, though.

Wouldn't mind seeing a true Descent sequel that goes back to the "navigating the twisty/turny mine shafts" of the original two games.

Craig234

Lifer
May 1, 2006
I'm baffled how developers just don't copy the idea behind some of these old games, add some new features, and release it, when you consider the high demand for something similar today.

For instance, Dungeon Keeper.

It couldn't be that hard to make a spiritual successor, and its probably not that expensive to make when compared to some of the more graphic-intensive games on the market. Of course, it's not going to sell as many copies as CoD, but it will cost less, so wouldn't it be more than profitable for a small developer?

You couldn't actually call your game Dungeon Keeper 3 and use the same assets, but wouldn't the game still be fun if the basic gameplay remained the same?

http://www.gog.com/en/gamecard/legend_of_grimrock

Chordian

Apr 21, 2012
chordian.net
Not sure I would ever want to pay as much as $100 to see a sequel being made, no matter what it is. Pledging $50 for the Tex Murphy kickstarter is the most I've ever spent. So far.

Anyway, my list of sequels I'd really like to see contains a lot of games not previously mentioned in this thread:

Anachronox 2
Bad Mojo 2
Baldur's Gate 3
Beneath A Steel Sky 2
The Dig 2
Fallout 4
Full Throttle 2
Gabriel Knight 4
Gateway 3
A new Indiana Jones adventure - or - "Tomb Raider"-style game - with Harrison Ford's voice!
Journeyman Project 4
Legend of Kyrandia 4
Little Big Adventure 3 (Twinsen's Odyssey series)
Loom 2
Messiah 2
Omikron: The Nomad Soul 2
Outcast 2
Project Eden 2
Rama 2
Realms of the Haunting 2
Rune 2 (I have a sneaky feeling it's coming)
System Shock 3
Thief 4 (hope it's still coming)

The bold titles are my top wishes.

Baptismbyfire

Oct 7, 2010
I wonder why so many people are not willing to spend $100 on a game that they will truly enjoy. There are some games where I must have spent hundreds of hours on, enjoying every minute. Dollar for dollar, it is the best entertainment bang you can get. A trip to the theater will cost you at least $8 for the ticket, and much more if you get snacks. And even then it is not guaranteed that you will like the movie. Is it because of the social stigma that somehow it is not cool to be in your room playing games?

NoSoup4You

Golden Member
Feb 12, 2007
Some games I'd like a sequel for -

The Secret of Mana - an old Squaresoft SNES game that was outstanding.

Ico - Great PS2 game

Age of Mythology - The Age games have never been as good since. AoM had tiny maps, which I didn't like, but the Myth units and God Powers were a perfect fit for the tried and true Age of Empires gameplay.

SSX 3 - The latest SSX didn't have the open mountain design of SSX3.

Baldur's Gate 2 - the obvious choice, although to be fair DA:O is for all intents and purposes the successor. Really though, I just want another deep, "D&D style" RPG. Deep combat mechanics that allow for multiple play styles.

Chordian

Apr 21, 2012
chordian.net
I wonder why so many people are not willing to spend $100 on a game that they will truly enjoy. There are some games where I must have spent hundreds of hours on, enjoying every minute. Dollar for dollar, it is the best entertainment bang you can get. A trip to the theater will cost you at least $8 for the ticket, and much more if you get snacks. And even then it is not guaranteed that you will like the movie. Is it because of the social stigma that somehow it is not cool to be in your room playing games?
Well, I'm probably an odd exception since I almost never replay games. It's always once and that's it while trying to experience it like a good book, and then set it aside to grab the next one in the backlog. For the same reason my categorizing in Steam is pretty simple: Completed - and everything else.

I'm not sure I've spent hundreds of hours in any single player game (maybe except Morrowind and its expansions). But I imagine that replaying a great game over and over would account for your logic of spending $100 or more.

HeXen

Diamond Member
Dec 13, 2009
I'm baffled how developers just don't copy the idea behind some of these old games, add some new features, and release it, when you consider the high demand for something similar today.

For instance, Dungeon Keeper.

It couldn't be that hard to make a spiritual successor, and its probably not that expensive to make when compared to some of the more graphic-intensive games on the market. Of course, it's not going to sell as many copies as CoD, but it will cost less, so wouldn't it be more than profitable for a small developer?

You couldn't actually call your game Dungeon Keeper 3 and use the same assets, but wouldn't the game still be fun if the basic gameplay remained the same?

they do all the time. usually listed under "indie". wanderlust, resonance, Grimrock...etc

marcplante

Mar 17, 2005
I want to see prop cycle for my cycling trainer. Flying a bike copter through canyons and getting different point to climb to holds and pop balloons would be awesome.

Or need for speed, google earth edition...drive any road on the planet in the car of your choice...with your friends online.

Pr0d1gy

Diamond Member
Jan 30, 2005

I have spent hundreds of hours watching certain movies and never spent more than $10-20 on most of those.

Arkadrel

Diamond Member
Oct 19, 2010
I feel like alot of people mention Baldurs Gate & Planescape torment,
along with Fallout,Vampire the Masquerade.

There is a outcry for more old school turn-based RPGs.
Its weird there arnt any developers that want to capitalise on that fact.

How hard can it be to just copy the mechanics of say Baldurs gate, and make a came like it, just call it something differnt, in a differnt universe than BG is in, ect and just give it some slightly better graphics = profit?

Too many First person shooters, with worldwar 2 like themes out there....
hard to compete with 3,000,000 other games.

The "smart" developer would start working on a turn based RPG and capitalise on vacum there is in this genre vs the demand for it.