Game of Thrones - TV Series (NO BOOK SPOILERS)

Page 526 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Homerboy

Lifer
Mar 1, 2000
I don't understand why Tyrion was looking so glum when he saw jon enter dany's room for sex.
I also find it interesting that they showed TYrion instead of Sir Friendzone.

to me, this implies something more.
maybe tyrion knows that jon is a targarian?
after all,Ned Stark wasn't the only survivor at the Tower when he found baby Jon.

This has been discussed ad nauseam online since it aired.

MaxDepth

Diamond Member
Jun 12, 2001
This. When you see sister-baby daddy (Jaime Lannister) leaving King's Landing at the end of the season, you see snowfall coming down in the city. Way back in Season 1, Winterfell only had a smattering of snow, most of the area was still green and warm enough to not need coats all the time.

The way I recall it, the Walkers actually bring the winter--the timing and the length of the winters is a reflection of the strength of the walker army during any given era.

vi edit

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Oct 28, 1999
Or we could all get trolled hard and Cersei sticks around Westeros and gets mowed down by the undead army while House Starkgaryen says "fuck that place" and bails sailing east to let Westeros fall.

Aaaaaaaand sets us up for a whole new line of spin offs.

NoSoupforyou

Dec 20, 2016
as for dragon glass weapons. If only Jon and crew had an invention like.. maybe a bow and arrow with dragon glass arrow heads. A few quick arrows at the 5 white walker leaders. game over.

and as for the white walker throwing the javelin. (as i saw mentioned in this thread) why did he throw it 2000ft in the air at the dragon when there was one 300ft away on the ground. Could have taken the biggest dragon plus could have killed (and turned to undead) Jon and company including Dany.

JEDI

Lifer
Sep 25, 2001
Or we could all get trolled hard and Cersei sticks around Westeros and gets mowed down by the undead army while House Starkgaryen says "fuck that place" and bails sailing east to let Westeros fall.

Aaaaaaaand sets us up for a whole new line of spin offs.
Hahaha
Could be what grrm is going to write, thus deviating from the show.
Maybe why he hasn't released his new book yet?

I can see it 5 years from now produced by netflix.
Game of thrones: GRRM version

thejunglegod

Golden Member
Feb 12, 2012
Also possible that they let the chains drop into the water like a huge noose until it caught around the body of the dragon. It was a lake and not the ocean so it may have been relatively shallow.

And what type of baby comes out of a Targaryen woman that birthed dragons and a reincarnated Targaryen/Stark?
The Incredibles baby.

JEDI

Lifer
Sep 25, 2001
Going to really miss the spirited discussion in this thread for the next year or more.
my predictions for the final season:

1) Jamie dies with honor at the wall.
2) cersai is killed by tyrion. the witch's prophecy says she dies by her brother's hand at her throat.
since Jamie is dead at the wall. and since tyrion has shown that he is capable of strangling someone to death.
unless Jamie becomes an uncle benjie? and he kills her?
or arya takes Jamie's form and strangles her?

3) bran dies via the valerian dagger, maybe at his own hand.

does fire affect dragons?
or am I reading too much "How to train a dragon" where dragons are fire proof

and I hope the show doesn't turn into a Star Trek with time travel recursion paradox/plot holes so big you can fist it

Exterous

Super Moderator
Jun 20, 2006
2) cersai is killed by tyrion. the witch's prophecy says she dies by her brother's hand at her throat.

My guess would be arya as tyrion for a nice little twist to the prophecy

MaxDepth

Diamond Member
Jun 12, 2001
And remember, they did show a young Cersai (and her "friend") visiting the witch to have her fortune told. The witch says none of her children will survive so that means her unborn won't make it either.

So I think the two main writers decided to have that scene because they already mapped out the whole story, in broad strokes. Now they are just putting the big pieces together and resolving their point issues. The little show at the end of the episode is really quite telling in what they choose to talk about. Because to them, they may not spill secrets to future episodes but they talk about what they feel is important to them in their storytelling. The only thing they didn't think about and came strictly from GRRM is the 'why' of Hodor's name. But pretty much all else was already established by GRRM's use of fantasy tropes so they could write to those. But when it came to the last couple of seasons, they already had a handle of how they wanted to write the ending.

My bet: Jamie gets turned into a wight and is somehow missed in all the fighting. He comes back and strangles Cersai.

my predictions for the final season:
since Jamie is dead at the wall. and since tyrion has shown that he is capable of strangling someone to death.
unless Jamie becomes an uncle benjie? and he kills her?

Dr. Zaus

Lifer
Oct 16, 2008
Going to really miss the spirited discussion in this thread for the next year or more.
That is literally his hand like... his hand that was cut off... and then he becomes a zombie and then i... like... it strangles Circe

Last edited:

Sonikku

Lifer
Jun 23, 2005
Does anyone else feel like everything that happened with the Greyjoys this season seemed... off? I mean, Ramsay persuades Theron (then Reek) to get seemingly one of the last few holdouts of his family's forces to surrender. Then the next thing you know this "long lost brother" whom we've never heard about before in all the seasons of game of thrones shows up, kills the head of the family with little fanfare and the next thing you know he's persuaded a couple dozen men to build the biggest fleet in history in no time at all.

And suddenly these fleets of ships are constantly just at the right place and right time to inflict maximum damage on Dany's forces at every turn. It all just seems so convenient and such a drastic windfall for Cersei. I can hardly believe all the bridges she's burned just continues to pay off and never bites her in the butt. At least not in a way that doesn't make her better off in the end anyway.

Skel

Diamond Member
Apr 11, 2001
Does anyone else feel like everything that happened with the Greyjoys this season seemed... off? I mean, Ramsay persuades Theron (then Reek) to get seemingly one of the last few holdouts of his family's forces to surrender. Then the next thing you know this "long lost brother" whom we've never heard about before in all the seasons of game of thrones shows up, kills the head of the family with little fanfare and the next thing you know he's persuaded a couple dozen men to build the biggest fleet in history in no time at all.

And suddenly these fleets of ships are constantly just at the right place and right time to inflict maximum damage on Dany's forces at every turn. It all just seems so convenient and such a drastic windfall for Cersei. I can hardly believe all the bridges she's burned just continues to pay off and never bites her in the butt. At least not in a way that doesn't make her better off in the end anyway.

The past couple of seasons have become a lot more standard Hollywood than before. Things that would have been set up before or at the least never really worked out the way anyone intended was the norm, and now it's changed. We've the token "all hope is lost until the last second where something happens", or "the bad guy keeps getting his plans to work regardless of how many moving parts would be required to actually pull it off". It's not unwatchable by any means and I still enjoy it. I don't enjoy it anywhere near as much as I used to, and some of that is my fault. I keep expecting the show to still be extremely clever and throw stuff that I don't see coming a thousand miles away. Sadly that hasn't happened in a few seasons. None of this is to say that because we're off the books means it blows.. it just feels more written for what will look cool on screen vs what's a thought out story.

Reactions: Homerboy

JEDI

Lifer
Sep 25, 2001
Season 8:
22279791_1294974077280901_3237331943142038509_n.jpg

also, they are making multiple endings to throw leakers off

blankslate

Diamond Member
Jun 16, 2008
Turns out Kit Harrington is something of an April Fool's prankster.

But he may go too far....

Pretty brilliant I guess but she apparently doesn't have that kind of sense of humor....