Game of Thrones - TV Series (NO BOOK SPOILERS)

Page 524 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

JEDI

Lifer
Sep 25, 2001
Season 6 was sloppy writing:

1) Littlefinger asks Sansa that if she and Arya were plotting to kill each other, who's side would Brienne take?
then Sansa sends Brienne away to Kings Landing.
wtf? why would sansa think Brienne would take Arya's side?

2) If the Night King had exploding spears and he's a gold medal javelin thrower, then why not throw them at Jon Snow and his suicide squad when they were asleep on that island?

3) The chains... Ace Hardware opened a store beyond the wall?

4) Littlefinger was the one who sent the assassin to kill Bran???
The main theory in the books made more sense.

5) Why did the Night King have to ride the dragon?
There was no white walker Lord around when the blue eyed polar bear attacked.

hopefully the show will explain the difference between the regular undead and blue eyed undead.

Last edited:

[DHT]Osiris

Lifer
Dec 15, 2015
wtf? why would sansa think Brienne would take Arya's side?
I don't think she sent Brienne to KL because of that, I think she knew LF was gonna eat crow soon. She just didn't want to get offed by Cerci (very likely to happen).
2) If the Night King had exploding spears and he's a gold medal javelin thrower, then why not throw them at Jon Snow and his suicide squad when they were asleep on that island?
I asked that too, and I've been wondering if the NK somehow has the ability to see things a la Brann, hence he knew a dragon was gonna show up. There's a billion ways they could have offed the heroes on the island and chose not to. If nothing comes of it next season, I'll assume it was just a garbage fire of a plot hole.
3) The chains... Ace Hardware opened a store beyond the wall?
Made of ice, or just another garbage fire.

[DHT]Osiris

Lifer
Dec 15, 2015
5) Why did the Night King have to ride the dragon?
There was no white walker Lord around when the blue eyed polar bear attacked.

hopefully the show will explain the difference between the regular undead and blue eyed undead.
Maybe blue-eyed = warging? As in, NK (or a compatriot) was warged in the bear when it attacked.

Also, bears make shitty mounts compared to horses (poor gait) or dragons (fly). They're fine fighters/sentries on their own in this context.

6) If jon and his suicide squad was going to capture a wight, why didn't they bring dragon glass weapons with them?!
its not like they're only going to encounter 1 stray wight wondering around
They did, bear died to DG dagger, Hound dropped his stupid hammer for DG dagger(s), etc. They had 'em. Might also be why the WW's didn't attack them on the island directly, too high a chance of getting killed by them (since they might know about them due to aforementioned warging).

Red Storm

Lifer
Oct 2, 2005
I think the dead didn't rush to kill the suicide squad because they're an undead army. They aren't in any kind of rush, time probably means nothing to them. They already expect to defeat the living so there's no urgency to get to the wall asap.

brainhulk

Diamond Member
Sep 14, 2007
It would be awful handy to have some arrows with valyrian steel tips (Sam's sword + Gendry ?).

Valerian boomerang > Valerian arrows

You think they can just go to home depot and buy more Valyrian steel? Gotta conserve that shit bro

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
Since we're on the subject, why not upgrade Drogon to breath Valerian steel swords instead of stupid fire? Has he not accessed elite tier spec yet?

Last edited:

brainhulk

Diamond Member
Sep 14, 2007
Valerian Dragon armor

21e9eee600616a6d090eec8bf78e96f2.jpg

brainhulk

Diamond Member
Sep 14, 2007
If white walkers can't swim, how did they get the chain around the dragon?

Did they get white walker dolphins to do it?

GagHalfrunt

Lifer
Apr 19, 2001
If white walkers can't swim, how did they get the chain around the dragon?

Did they get white walker dolphins to do it?

They can't swim, but they also don't breath, so they're not going to drown. Can't they walk into the lake dragging the chains with them, chain the dragon, then walk back out as the dragon is getting hauled up? Hell, as stupid as that whole sequence was, that was the only part of the entire north of the wall story arc that made a damn bit of sense. Everything else was even less plausible.

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
They can't swim, but they also don't breath, so they're not going to drown. Can't they walk into the lake dragging the chains with them, chain the dragon, then walk back out as the dragon is getting hauled up? Hell, as stupid as that whole sequence was, that was the only part of the entire north of the wall story arc that made a damn bit of sense. Everything else was even less plausible.

well, if that were plausible, then why didn't that entire front line of wights that collapsed into the ice when chasing Jon's party onto that rock just keep walking until they walked back out of the water? Why did they stop at the breaking ice if it really didn't matter to them?

....My nerd rage is focused on where they got those stupid chains in the first place. :D

Reactions: GagHalfrunt

GagHalfrunt

Lifer
Apr 19, 2001
well, if that were plausible, then why didn't that entire front line of wights that collapsed into the ice when chasing Jon's party onto that rock just keep walking until they walked back out of the water? Why did they stop at the breaking ice if it really didn't matter to them?

....My nerd rage is focused on where they got those stupid chains in the first place. :D

And your nerd rage is serving you well. The chains were stupid. The mission was stupid. The time element was stupid. EVERYTHING was freaking stupid. But the wights being able to walk along the bottom of the lake to chain the dragon was the least stupid thing. Not un-stupid mind you, just less stupid than the other stuff. The ice was thicker in some parts than in others and gravity helps. It's plausible that the wights would be heavy enough en masse to break through the ice and fall in on the shore side, but not strong enough to break through by trying to walk out on the island side. Just make peace with that as being the most believable thing about all the north of the wall stuff and rage against the stuff that was dumber.

Jeeebus

Diamond Member
Aug 29, 2006
GoT is going to troll us hard by having the Night King talk to our heroes for the first time in the final episode of Season 8... and as he speaks for the first time, it is revealed to us that he is voiced by Gilbert Gottfried or Bobcat Goldthwait.

Train

Lifer
Jun 22, 2000
www.bing.com
We know wights don't swim or breath, but there's nothing to say white walkers couldn't do both.
That's what I was thinking. SOMEONE did some underwater salvage work to get those chains hooked up, but it didn't have to be a mindless wight.

But how long did it take to get those giant chains in the first place? I'm guessing they weren't standard zombie army gear.

Jeeebus

Diamond Member
Aug 29, 2006
That's what I was thinking. SOMEONE did some underwater salvage work to get those chains hooked up, but it didn't have to be a mindless wight.

But how long did it take to get those giant chains in the first place? I'm guessing they weren't standard zombie army gear.

The easiest/most obvious answer to most of the complaints is that the Night King anticipated all of these events and planned accordingly. They waited for the Suicide Squad to arrive knowing that it would present them with a dragon who would be shot down by a surface to air spear and that they would need the chains to get it out. Basically, the Night King is an advanced version of Bran and has already seen everything that is to happen and simply acts as he must to follow what he has already seen. Don't know that it's great writing, but presents enough of a mind fuck to fit within the GoT universe.

dud

Diamond Member
Feb 18, 2001
Proud to separate myself from the pack. I've never watched a moment of this show. What's it all about?

KentState

Diamond Member
Oct 19, 2001
Also possible that they let the chains drop into the water like a huge noose until it caught around the body of the dragon. It was a lake and not the ocean so it may have been relatively shallow.

And what type of baby comes out of a Targaryen woman that birthed dragons and a reincarnated Targaryen/Stark?

Squisher

Lifer
Aug 17, 2000
Well, in reality no one was needed to attach the chains to the dragon. All they needed was a weighted treble hook to do some snagging. Just don't let the DNR catch you.

JEDI

Lifer
Sep 25, 2001
They did, bear died to DG dagger, Hound dropped his stupid hammer for DG dagger(s), etc. They had 'em. Might also be why the WW's didn't attack them on the island directly, too high a chance of getting killed by them (since they might know about them due to aforementioned warging).
Sir friend zone killed the bear with regular dagger?
And I didn't see anyone use dragon Glass weapons in the fight on the island?

GagHalfrunt

Lifer
Apr 19, 2001
Proud to separate myself from the pack. I've never watched a moment of this show. What's it all about?

In the first episode an 8 year old kid sees a guy boinking his own sister, so the dude tries to kill the kid to cover it up. Just like every other show on TV, nothing new or original. Pretty much just a live action rehash of old Scooby Doo episodes.

KentState

Diamond Member
Oct 19, 2001
Sir friend zone killed the bear with regular dagger?
And I didn't see anyone use dragon Glass weapons in the fight on the island?

How did you miss the Hound throwing down the hammer in frustration and pulling out the dragon glass to fight? It was exaggerated to show him switching weapons because regular ones weren't effective.