Game of Thrones - TV Series (NO BOOK SPOILERS)

Pheran

Diamond Member
Apr 26, 2001
Premieres Sunday, April 17th!

HBO Game of Thrones site

GoT Interactive Viewer's Guide

For those not already familiar with this, Game of Thrones is a TV series based on George R.R. Martin's A Song of Ice and Fire fantasy series. The backdrop is a complex power struggle between warring houses, during which time an evil force is building in the north. If this series can equal the quality of Rome, it should be pretty amazing.

The Game Begins trailer (YouTube)
Fear and Blood trailer (YouTube)
Power trailer (YouTube)
Poison trailer (YouTube)

Here are some good cast galleries I found - note that a few cast members changed between the pilot episode and production of the full series.

Character Cheat Sheet
Season 1 Cast Gallery
Pilot Cast Gallery

Notable cast you may recognize from other "geek shows":

Sean Bean - Lord of the Rings (Boromir)
Lena Headey - Terminator: TSCC (Sarah Connor)
Jason Momoa - Stargate: Atlantis (Ronon)

OK, maybe the thread title isn't clear enough.

This thread is a NO SPOILERS thread. Period.

People need to have the common courtesy to not post spoilers or ANY material from the books. We have a separate book thread for that thread. So if you feel the need to post about the book material, go to that thread.

Now, everyone is warned.

From this point on, if a member continues to post spoilers, they will be infracted.

If they continue to do so after being infracted, there is a possibility they will be removed from access to OT.

esquared
Anandtech Forum Director

Last edited by a moderator:

Maleficus

Diamond Member
May 2, 2001
It should be glorious indeed, I have faith HBO will do it right.

It will be odd hearing how they pronounce the names as opposed to how I said them in my head while reading the books.

Kelvrick

Lifer
Feb 14, 2001
It should be glorious indeed, I have faith HBO will do it right.

It will be odd hearing how they pronounce the names as opposed to how I said them in my head while reading the books.

Have you listened to any of the audio books?

Pheran

Diamond Member
Apr 26, 2001
I don't know anything about his acting, but I really like the appearance of the actor they picked for Jaime Lannister, he looks perfect at 1:15 in the Game Begins trailer. Also, I'm looking forward to seeing Peter Dinklage playing Tyrion (one of my favorite characters) - I just saw him in The Station Agent which I really liked.

I agree about the pronunciations, half the time I have no idea how to pronounce that stuff when I'm reading the book. :)

Glitchny

Diamond Member
Sep 4, 2002
From what I've seen this should be great. I just hope they get enough viewers for HBO to do the other books as well.

jonks

Lifer
Feb 7, 2005
Wow first Spartacus..then this...looks like a promising year.

Spartacus is crap, no offense, I know some people like it. But it's not in the same vicinity as the general HBO quality productions like Rome, etc. That may simply be a matter of budgeting but there it is.

As to Game of Thrones, I'm very much looking forward to it, despite my loathing of the author's dilatory writing. Jason Momoa is the new Conan the Barbarian and this role is almost the same thing so we'll get a sample of how that movie will turn out.

I imagine the series will be much simplified from the books, probably cut out a few of the families. 7 seems a bit high for a tv show to focus on. But I will trust in HBO till they demonstrate otherwise.

khon

Golden Member
Jun 8, 2010
My favorite part of the books was always the constantly changing point of view, which really adds a lot of depth. The villains aren't evil just for the hell of it (as is the case in almost all other fantasy), they actually have reasons for doing what they do, and when you see it from their perspective, it makes a lot of sense.

Unfortunately I don't see how they can transfer that to the TV series, so one of these defining aspects of the series will be missing.

Lumathix

Golden Member
Mar 16, 2004
This is my all time favorite hard fantasy series, and George RR Martin is my all time favorite fantasy author. That being said, Lena Headey is nowhere NEAR how I envisioned Cersei Lannister to be.

This is how I think she would look. (google image)

Cersei_Seated_by_jezebel.jpg

Lena Headey
lena-headey.jpg

Here's one of her actually in costume for this role:
Cersei-Lannister-game-of-thrones-18214856-864-486.jpg

God I hope they didn't rape this story. You'd think it wouldn't be possible, with as much time Martin appears to be involved.

We'll see.

Last edited:

Jadow

Diamond Member
Feb 12, 2003
I wonder if they'll keep the incest angle intact?

Jaime is a lot more likeable character w/o that.

Pheran

Diamond Member
Apr 26, 2001
Jadow (and everyone else), spoilers need spoiler tags! Not everyone has read the books. Please edit your post.