Game of Thrones - TV Series (NO BOOK SPOILERS)

Page 529 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

JEDI

Lifer
Sep 25, 2001
Rumor: GRRM will release Winds of Winter on November 13, 2023 :eek:

His last GoT book (A Dance with Dragons) was published in 2011!
so 13yrs to write book 6. :eek:

He's currently 73.
At this rate, he'll be 111 before the last book is released
March 9,2022 update:

GRRM said "I made a lot of progress on WINDS in 2020, and less in 2021… but “less” is not “none.”

yeah, i see the Nov 13,2023 date slipping especially since he's working on the GoT prequel for HBO called House of Dragons :(

thebestMAX

Diamond Member
Sep 14, 2000
GOT had so much momentum while it was on TV that is now lost. I wonder how well WoW will sell. Ive read the whole series so far and some of GRRMs other works but not excited about this one now. Would like to know how he ends it compared to the series though.

otho11

Feb 16, 2011
The man is not shy about self promotion, he'll be the first to announce Winds if he ever completes it.

He's bogged down by more TV offers and other tangentially related writing projects so I have low expectations.

JEDI

Lifer
Sep 25, 2001
March 9,2022 update:

GRRM said "I made a lot of progress on WINDS in 2020, and less in 2021… but “less” is not “none.”

yeah, i see the Nov 13,2023 date slipping especially since he's working on the GoT prequel for HBO called House of Dragons :(
House of dragon comes out this sun. Unlike the final season of GoT, he's involved in this (for now).

So high expectations for season 1

Artorias

Platinum Member
Feb 8, 2014
I just don't have any enthusiasm to watch the prequal, none of it matters, the main GOT show ruined it for me.

You know what would novel? If the entire GOT universe moved forward in time a few thousand years and became a modern day drama. No magic, no dragons, no medieval setting.

Torn Mind

Lifer
Nov 25, 2012
I just don't have any enthusiasm to watch the prequal, none of it matters, the main GOT show ruined it for me.

You know what would novel? If the entire GOT universe moved forward in time a few thousand years and became a modern day drama. No magic, no dragons, no medieval setting.
Like House of Cards or Frozen?

MrSquished

Lifer
Jan 14, 2013
I'm excited for this. I hope HBO producers learned from GOT because that show was phenomenal for 4-5 seasons then started going off the rails with a terrible final season - when the showrunners had to make shit up when the books ended.

So hopefully they learned that painful lesson and have planned and written this one adequately. Because who doesn't love good ole medieval with some myth and magic and dragons mixed in. I grew up with D&D, GOT was one of the best fantasy series ever for those 4-5 seasons.

purbeast0

No Lifer
Sep 13, 2001
I'm all in. First episode was great. I hope it gets it's own theme song and intro. I noticed there wasn't really one.

Aikouka

Lifer
Nov 27, 2001
I'm a little mixed. It wasn't bad or anything, but I guess I don't really feel drawn in the way I was with Game of Thrones. (To note, I haven't read the source material for either series.) I liken the reason for that to the approach with the series. Game of Thrones started off rather small with the Starks in Winterfell, and I think that helped create a bit more of an intimate setting (pun not intended for the ending of the first episode). One thing that kind of baffled me, and maybe this was related to having seen the original series, is that I don't understand why the Song of Ice and Fire dream is so dire to keep secretive.

JM Aggie08

Diamond Member
Jan 3, 2006
I'm a little mixed. It wasn't bad or anything, but I guess I don't really feel drawn in the way I was with Game of Thrones. (To note, I haven't read the source material for either series.) I liken the reason for that to the approach with the series. Game of Thrones started off rather small with the Starks in Winterfell, and I think that helped create a bit more of an intimate setting (pun not intended for the ending of the first episode). One thing that kind of baffled me, and maybe this was related to having seen the original series, is that I don't understand why the Song of Ice and Fire dream is so dire to keep secretive.

To keep order and prevent the realm from descending into chaos/anarchy maybe? IDK. Like...if there's impending doom, why obey the law?

Aikouka

Lifer
Nov 27, 2001
To keep order and prevent the realm from descending into chaos/anarchy maybe? IDK. Like...if there's impending doom, why obey the law?

But if only a descendent of your bloodline was capable of stopping it -- how handy, right? :p -- then they'd want to ensure that there wasn't an issue with said descendent existing. Although, as we've seen from things like global warming, people generally don't care as long as it isn't blatantly obvious. If King's Landing started freezing over, then people might say, "We should probably do something about this undead king guy...!" (Of course, we actually saw this behavior in the series as Cersei didn't care about the undead until they brought one.)

Artorias

Platinum Member
Feb 8, 2014

They really mentioned the night king? Why? That entire plot line was so catastrophically destroyed in GOT it should hold no significance at all.

These showrunners should completely distance themselves entirely from the last half of GOT.

Reactions: Homerboy

MrSquished

Lifer
Jan 14, 2013

I agree that this is starting much faster and much more grand than how GOT started with mostly just Winterfell and grew from there, which was done very well. So that part was a bit grating as I was settling in for another GOT, but, it was done well, so having to get rid of preconceived notions, I am looking forward to next week quite a bit.

Homerboy

Lifer
Mar 1, 2000
it was good. I mean the production and the quality was all obviously there - that was never going to be the downfall of this series. The downfall of GOT as we wall know was the writing. Hard to tell how good or bad the writing of this series will be over the season (9 episodes), but it is off to a decent start for sure. Lots can happen and spiral out of control in 8 more episodes though... and everyone is going to hold their feet to the flames and put everything under the strongest microscope possible.

And let's just be honest, GOT got away from the boobs and that's really why everyone hated it.

JM Aggie08

Diamond Member
Jan 3, 2006
They really mentioned the night king? Why? That entire plot line was so catastrophically destroyed in GOT it should hold no significance at all.

These showrunners should completely distance themselves entirely from the last half of GOT.

They mentioned winter and something fucked beyond the wall.

Aikouka

Lifer
Nov 27, 2001

It was mentioned that the first king (Aegon?) had a dream showing the long winter coming from the north that would wipe out all of humanity, and that only his descendent could stop it. This knowledge was incredibly secretive and only passed from king to heir.

It reminded me a bit of the problem of prequels from Star Wars. It gets weird to mention something like that, because we all know how it goes. That's why I wondered why it would necessarily even be kept a secret. I could see if the prophecy was that their family would make it worse or become the death that they'd want to keep it secret to avoid a revolt.

Homerboy

Lifer
Mar 1, 2000
I know I shouldn't be "bothered" by things like this when I have to suspend believe for dragons and magic etc and I'm totally being "one of those people", but even when GOT was airing and they were using all the same buildings and weapons and general technology that their ancestors from 100s and 100s of years ago were using... WTF are those Maesters doing? There's NO advancement of technology (war, general construction, medicine etc etc) over all these centuries. Nothing changes in their lives for generations upon generations. Nobody has figured out the cotton gin or the assembly line yet?! This universe needs an industrial revolution :)

JEDI

Lifer
Sep 25, 2001
One thing that kind of baffled me, and maybe this was related to having seen the original series, is that I don't understand why the Song of Ice and Fire dream is so dire to keep secretive.
Umm.. I saw all 8 seasons.
No idea what secret you're taking about?

Aikouka

Lifer
Nov 27, 2001
Umm.. I saw all 8 seasons.
No idea what secret you're taking about?

Yeah, it's a little mixed using this thread for the new show, but this is about the latest Game of Thrones spin-off show, House of the Dragon that started last night.