Game of Thrones - TV Series (NO BOOK SPOILERS)

Page 408 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

CZroe

Lifer
Jun 24, 2001
I didn't notice any of what you're talking about, and usually the dialog-out-of-sync thing drives me nuts. I run into it every once in a while as a result of one of my receivers.
Just watched that scene on the TiVo recording and it happens there too. Definitely not HBOGO to blame here. It's bad editing.

manimal

Lifer
Mar 30, 2007
Just watched that scene on the TiVo recording and it happens there too. Definitely not HBOGO to blame here. It's bad editing.

very odd this season with all the mediocre work. This show used to be about attention to detail.

smackababy

Lifer
Oct 30, 2008
Thought I'd add the actual quote:
"They make a lovely couple. A Lannister and a Martell."
Dorne doesn't consider her a Baratheon?

I saw some commentary about that final scene today (I think it was from The Verge) where they went on and on about how much more rape and sexual violence is in the TV version. They implied that it wasn't rape in the book, much like the Cersei and Jamie scene. Well, as rapey as the final scene was, Sansa was voluntarily taking her clothes off as instructed when he ripped them off and started... consummating their marriage. Not sure it was rape here either.

Considering, this Sansa scene didn't happen in the book, it was incredibly more rapey than the books. =)

Most of the rape scenes have had rape added. The way they described Dany and Drogo's first "encounter" was far more tender and her accepting (albeit, 13 years old) than it was in the first season.

fleshconsumed

Diamond Member
Feb 21, 2002
I just find the moral outrage over Sansa scene amusing. As if somehow it's so much worse than anything we've seen in the last oh four and a half seasons of the show...

nageov3t

Lifer
Feb 18, 2004
I just find the moral outrage over Sansa scene amusing. As if somehow it's so much worse than anything we've seen in the last oh four and a half seasons of the show...

it's just... pointless. what did we learn from injecting yet another rape scene into the show? that Ramsay is a bad guy, as if anyone was still in doubt?

Sheep

Golden Member
Jun 13, 2006
and through Chromecast as well. It is truly shitty, this HBOGO.

I wonder if HBONOW is somehow better?

I watched all of the fourth season streaming from my Android phone to Chromecast. Not a single hitch. I wasn't watching during primetime though, usually late at night, so maybe that's the difference?

it's just... pointless. what did we learn from injecting yet another rape scene into the show? that Ramsay is a bad guy, as if anyone was still in doubt?

Trauma-inducing catalyst to bring Theon back from the edge? Considering how far gone he is, it'd take something pretty extreme to do it.

Last edited:

brainhulk

Diamond Member
Sep 14, 2007
It's like they are purposely not trying with the Sand Sister scenes for comedic affect...but its not funny and is just annoying

It seems Peter Dicklage isn't giving 100% effort either. Some lines he says had a corny delivery

It seems Sophie Turner is a little freak irl: http://www.ew.com/article/2015/05/17/game-thrones-sansa-wedding

When I read that scene, I kinda loved it. I love the way Ramsay had Theon watching. It was all so messed up. It’s also so daunting for me to do it. I’ve been making [producer Bryan Cogman] feel so bad for writing that scene: “I can’t believe you’re doing this to me!” But I secretly loved it

tD7F3oM.jpg

smackababy

Lifer
Oct 30, 2008
Trauma-inducing catalyst to bring Theon back from the edge? Considering how far gone he is, it'd take something pretty extreme to do it.

Not just that, but it is showing (without doubt) the marriage was consummated. It shows Sansa submitting to her fate (which she knew was coming, with the marriage) and that despite her showing strength, it was mostly an act. She is still frightened and just pretending. Her words and then actions following in the bath scene makes this perfectly clear.

dainthomas

Lifer
Dec 7, 2004

I'll give you a quarter if you can tell me how many people were killed in that episode. Extra credit for telling us what we learned from any of those killings.

Be glad they didn't do it like the book.

nageov3t

Lifer
Feb 18, 2004
I'll give you a quarter if you can tell me how many people were killed in that episode. Extra credit for telling us what we learned from any of those killings.

Be glad they didn't do it like the book.

the killing of random red shirts isn't exactly on-par with a major character who's already been systematically victimized since S01 losing her virginity via rape, though.

I think everyone's glad they didn't reenact the scene from the books, but in the books it's also not Sansa that's involved, it's a random stranger bitch minor character.

Phoenix86

Lifer
May 21, 2003
Technically being his and and willing to go conquer Winterfel for him are two different things.

I could really see things in the North playing out a hundred different ways. Which is probably right where GRRM wants us right now.

If we're being technical, they are Robin Arryn's army, not Littlefinger's. Littlefinger is now Robin's father (in-law) and ward (?) until he's old enough to lead. That was the excuse LF gave for training Robin, of course he's just trying to get him killed.

matricks

Nov 19, 2014
The Dorne king watching over the water gardens referred to Myrcella as a Lannister. Isn't her last name officially supposed to be Baratheon?

It should, but Myrcella and brothers has been named differently than anyone else. When spoken of in formal terms (as in "lord of the seven kingdoms, protector of the realm, king of the Andals, noun of the noun..."), king Joffrey was "of the houses Baratheon and Lannister", probably king Tommen too. I don't get that, the king in the North was Robb of house Stark, not houses Stark and Tully. King Robert was of house Baratheon, not houses Baratheon and his mothers house (which only the books have named, so censored I guess). Stannis too, and if there is one thing Ser Davos will get right it's these formalities. The books (at least first one) do the same.

Everyone knows they are pure-blooded Lannisters, so maybe Lannister is just rolling with it now.

Until now, Ramsay had not touched Sansa IIRC. I don't think anyone bought the apparent good-guy attitude, but maybe there was a point to show that she wasn't any different to his other girls in the end. I also think Reek will break eventually. Not necessarily to a happy ending, but if he doesn't, they have spent a lot of screen time poorly.

Sand sisters looked like they wanted to have a Matrix-style fight scene. They couldn't go Matrix all the way and break laws of physics, because that's not how the show works (except for dragons). So it got half-assed, and was a poor end result.

Phoenix86

Lifer
May 21, 2003
It's one of those secrets that everyone knows but no one can talk about. If everyone truly accepted Tommen is a Lannister they would also accept he as NO claim to the throne. Since those in power won't let that happen, he's a Baratheon, but really, everyone knows. They all know...

dainthomas

Lifer
Dec 7, 2004
the killing of random red shirts isn't exactly on-par with a major character who's already been systematically victimized since S01 losing her virginity via rape, though.

I think everyone's glad they didn't reenact the scene from the books, but in the books it's also not Sansa that's involved, it's a random stranger bitch minor character.

The point was people are getting more bent out of shape about this then they are about killing. Or even the maiming of Theon.

smackababy

Lifer
Oct 30, 2008
It's one of those secrets that everyone knows but no one can talk about. If everyone truly accepted Tommen is a Lannister they would also accept he as NO claim to the throne. Since those in power won't let that happen, he's a Baratheon, but really, everyone knows. They all know...

I think it is also the Lannisters are grade A stuck up cunts. Joffrey, while accepting he was a Baratheon, also considered himself a Lannister. And since the Baratheon family, save for Robert and his children, are unheard of, those influencing the King are Lannisters.

The point was people are getting more bent out of shape about this then they are about killing. Or even the maiming of Theon.

If anything, people should be upset about the emotional and psychological torture Theon is continuously being subjected to. That takes a pretty fucked up individual to keep doing what they are doing to Reek.

Exophase

Diamond Member
Apr 19, 2012
It should, but Myrcella and brothers has been named differently than anyone else. When spoken of in formal terms (as in "lord of the seven kingdoms, protector of the realm, king of the Andals, noun of the noun..."), king Joffrey was "of the houses Baratheon and Lannister", probably king Tommen too. I don't get that, the king in the North was Robb of house Stark, not houses Stark and Tully. King Robert was of house Baratheon, not houses Baratheon and his mothers house (which only the books have named, so censored I guess). Stannis too, and if there is one thing Ser Davos will get right it's these formalities. The books (at least first one) do the same.

Probably has something to do with the fact that most of House Baratheon is the crown's enemy now. So they're incorporating the house that actually supports them.

Joffrey even changed House Baratheon of King's Landing's heraldry to incorporate the stag and the lion, with the lion being in a more dominant position.

CZroe

Lifer
Jun 24, 2001

It wasn't rape. She voluntarily married him and was voluntarily taking her clothes off to consummate her marriage with him when he aggressively tore her clothes off and took her from behind. Aggressively taking clothes off is not rape. Doggy-style is not rape. We know that the subtext adds a lot more meaning, but we should look at it purely technically in a world where arranged marriages which must still be consummated are still a thing.

Now, if it turns out that she was taking a knife from her sleeve instead of taking it off, as I originally suspected, then it technically changes things a little, but Ramsay didn't know that.

Dr. Zaus

Lifer
Oct 16, 2008
She also didn't object or fight: zero indication it was rape. It's possible to be consenting and not like doing it...

That said arranged marriages are all rape because they are coercive.

pauldun170

Diamond Member
Sep 26, 2011
Sansa agreed to marry Ramsay for the pupose of avenging her family.
The purpose of this scene is to establish the cost of that decision (combine the traditional consumation with establishing the dynamic between Sansa and ramsay)
It primary focus has to do with Theon.

The desicion to change from the book was a practical one. Noone cares about the original book character and that character is there to serve Theon character arc.
switching it Sansa makes perfect sense because you kill 2 birds with one stone (for character development)and avoid adding throw away characters that would add little to the show.

pauldun170

Diamond Member
Sep 26, 2011
She also didn't object or fight: zero indication it was rape. It's possible to be consenting and not like doing it...

That said arranged marriages are all rape because they are coercive.
I didn't hear any complaints about daenerys and drogo.

I think some viewers of game of thrones should stick to watching reality TV and sitcoms.