Game of Thrones - TV Series (NO BOOK SPOILERS)

Page 342 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

lozina

Lifer
Sep 10, 2001
That pic reminds me... what is the symbol Sansa wears on her necklace? Is it just random jewelry or is it smbolic of something?

ZaneNBK

Golden Member
Sep 14, 2000
That pic reminds me... what is the symbol Sansa wears on her necklace? Is it just random jewelry or is it smbolic of something?

It's so when someone finally pushes her off a bridge, she'll sink to the bottom. She knows that and wears it willingly.

BladeVenom

Lifer
Jun 2, 2005
I havent read the books.

RE Oberyn: His spears were tipped with poison. I suspected it and the HBO episode review vid they posted mentioned it. He got his man the first time he stuck him.

jXGTduS.png

The Mountain got stabbed once in the stomach, and also speared through the chest. Being poisoned to, seems superfluous.

Mar 10, 2005
i should know better, but i think almost all of the characters still with us from season 1 are safe from the fat, bearded angel of death known as grrrrm:

tyrion - seriously, no tyrion = no GoT
sansa - that would be a HUGE shock, especially now
arya - nope
hound - maybe. like i said before, he better go out in the fight of the century and not drogo out on us.
jon snow - nope
raisin bran + hodor - bran is obviously a central element, but i fear for hodor
rickon rickoff and whatshername - ???
theon - theon already died, and reek is safe as ramsay's pet
baelish - remove him, and what's left? nothing we've seen so far fills his shoes
varys - that would be a real shame, especially since he's got his own power play on simmer
cersei - revenge murder is the only way for her to go out. take your pick as to who dishes it out.
jamie - maybe. he's pretty marginalized after a great story (and performance) upon returning to king's landing. has he peaked?
tywin - either age or revenge/war, feels like it's coming soon.
danerys - nope
friendzone - maybe the next time we see him?

who am i forgetting? shae and michael bolton first appeared in s2, but i can see either of them hankering for a shankering. ygritte will die in jon snow's arms, maybe by his hand - you heard it here first.

remember, the only rule in the game of thrones is smart people survive.

Phoenix86

Lifer
May 21, 2003
jXGTduS.png

The Mountain got stabbed once in the stomach, and also speared through the chest. Being poisoned to, seems superfluous.
On close examination that scene makes it 100% obvious it's poisoned. Heavy leather glove, wet cloth. Even the way he moved it seemed like he was applying something to the metal, not polishing it.

GagHalfrunt

Lifer
Apr 19, 2001
raisin bran + hodor - bran is obviously a central element, but i fear for hodor

What I want to see:

Hodor is actually the greatest of the Faceless Men and he's been employed by Tywin to infiltrate the Stark household. He get tired of carrying that whining little runt around, snaps Bran's neck, rushes off to the Aerie to push Robin out the moon door and then goes to have a beer with Syrio Forel and Jaqen H'ghar to laugh at all the fools in Westeros.

Phoenix86

Lifer
May 21, 2003
What I want to see:

Hodor is actually the greatest of the Faceless Men and he's been employed by Tywin to infiltrate the Stark household. He get tired of carrying that whining little runt around, snaps Bran's neck, rushes off to the Aerie to push Robin out the moon door and then goes to have a beer with Syrio Forel and Jaqen H'ghar to laugh at all the fools in Westeros.
tumblr_m4n5mlYmyt1rwg8q7o1_1280.jpg

qliveur

Diamond Member
Mar 25, 2007
Okay, who else made "squish" sound effects when that shit went down? :awe:

And is it just me, or was it implied that Sansa and Little Finger did the deed? :sneaky:

Mar 10, 2005
Every bit of this, she actually made a power play with her testimony and dress. The black dress to "mourn" her aunt, but the feather shoulders/mocking bird theme. Necklace is interesting. A+ wardrobe.

i'm liking the dress more, but the neck-anchor thing is way too much. i missed the bird connection earlier.

notice how she's smiling, almost laughing? evil! again, i wish her transformation was more gradual.

6RgbunX.jpg

edit:
take your pick, i know which i like

IWxRpz5.gif

or

tumblr_md6t3sgOzg1r0sqdio1_500.gif

Last edited:

Newbian

Lifer
Aug 24, 2008
I am still pissed that they allowed a 2nd spear after the first got broken.

Stop using toothpicks if you want to do a duel.

bunnyfubbles

Lifer
Sep 3, 2001
Fight choreography isn't always about agility. Watch the Jamie/Brienne fight and the subtle footwork/swordplay, especially the part where they lock swords for several seconds.

yeah, you don't lock swords with the mountain, he cuts your sword in half and you along with it

Do you have an actual question or are you just being an ass?

stupid questions have stupid answers, still am curious

I am still pissed that they allowed a 2nd spear after the first got broken.

Stop using toothpicks if you want to do a duel.

that's what squires are for

Last edited:

Dr. Zaus

Lifer
Oct 16, 2008
I was entertained by the fight; I feel very sorry for you if you can't enjoy an emotionally climatic seen like that because someone didn't do X or Y quite up to your standards... it must be particularly empty living in your world of 'taste'.

Last edited:

smackababy

Lifer
Oct 30, 2008
jXGTduS.png

The Mountain was nicked before either of those happened. The poison was used to significantly slow him, as well as ensure his death, in the event Oberyn failed to do the job.

So, with the assumption that the poison was slowing the Mountain and causing his "clumsiness", the choreography wasn't that bad.

lozina

Lifer
Sep 10, 2001
Wow.. as funny as this is, I think this explains what everyone thought they were about to get.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r8oOi6JOXEQ

Hah, yeah exactly.

I just don't like the way they did it with the mountain feigning being incapacitated like that and then somehow springing into action with this agility as if he became full health and as light as Aria Stark to be able to jump up and crush his head then again collapse to incapacitated state. (especially if as if everyone is saying he was so poisoned!)

What would have been better and more realistic is if right at the very start of the battle, the mountain chops at Oberyn while he's bowing to the crowd upon doing his little show off dance and kills him right there, in a very dishonorable fashion to make us hate him even more. Or his first swing with his mighty sword just unexpectedly easily chops through Oberyn's spear and cleaves him in half right off the bat.

To me that would sort of fit in more with the style of the book than this Hollywood drama fight complete with irrational low budget horror movie type ending.

Last edited:

SMOGZINN

Lifer
Jun 17, 2005
i should know better, but i think almost all of the characters still with us from season 1 are safe from the fat, bearded angel of death known as grrrrm:

I would not make any wagers on this. The Game of Thrones seems to be a Free For All Deathmatch. Personally I think all but a few has to die. My bet is that everyone dies except Daenerys, Jon Snow, Bran, and Rickon who teams up for the final showdown against the ice zombies. Maybe they will then do a Walking Dead/GoT Crossover episode. (why not, it would make as much sense as the rest of the shit that goes on on The Walking Dead)

And is it just me, or was it implied that Sansa and Little Finger did the deed? :sneaky:

No, Sansa knows what Littlefinger wants, and she has decided that she is no longer above using access to that to her advantage.
The question is, is she smart enough to know that eventually she has to pay that piper, or will she be all traumatized when he won't take any more excuses.

Last edited: