Game of Thrones - TV Series (NO BOOK SPOILERS)

Page 484 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
GoT did 10 episodes last season and still had filler, arcs that went nowhere and more idiocy than other series could cram into 20 shows. Maybe seven is a good thing.

agreed. lots of filler the last 2 seasons, IMO. The whole sandsnakes line, in retrospect, would have been better off shit-canned entirely from the TV series (Just give Dorn and the Lanisters some other equally-legit reason to be pissed off at each other--Hey! That crippled king could simply be angry that his bro was murdered and basically serve the plot purpose of that obnoxious cousin-lady friend of the Prince. boom, done.)

clamum

Lifer
Feb 13, 2003
I'm always torn on shorter vs longer seasons. While I do enjoy some shows and like to watch them most of the year, they also end up with a bunch of fluff episodes or worse, pointless plotlines that go no where, and have on reason to exist other than to fill time. At least with this show they've slimmed the amount of characters we need to worry about, so that'll help the shorter season.
Yeah that is a good point about fluff/filler episodes.

I really love the books GoT is based upon and there's a lot in the books that was never covered in the show. I think they could've done quite a bit more episodes, overall, than they've done but I guess it would probably bore most people unless they were pretty geeked about the books.

Dr. Zaus

Lifer
Oct 16, 2008
agreed. lots of filler the last 2 seasons, IMO. The whole sandsnakes line, in retrospect, would have been better off shit-canned entirely from the TV series (Just give Dorn and the Lanisters some other equally-legit reason to be pissed off at each other--Hey! That crippled king could simply be angry that his bro was murdered and basically serve the plot purpose of that obnoxious cousin-lady friend of the Prince. boom, done.)
Also in prospect, and at the time.

I stand by 12 episode format: it's much better than 24's "my daughter was kidnapped 3 times in the same day" and Sherlock's "our actors work so little we can't keep them, and we have to gloss over entire books to make a complete character arc"

I like the idea of a show I can be invested in, intensely, for a short span of time.

thebestMAX

Diamond Member
Sep 14, 2000
Ive long treated the show and the books as separate entities, hope the next book or books arent influenced by having to complete the series for the show.

GagHalfrunt

Lifer
Apr 19, 2001
Jedi, your mildly nsfw link may lead to a penalty, or even a ban, but you should know you have done us all a great kindnesses.

I don't think it's real, there's a Maisie look-alike that does pictures like that. In the face she's a dead ringer for Maisie but she's got a bigger rack. You can usually tell them apart pretty easily.

Dr. Zaus

Lifer
Oct 16, 2008
I don't think it's real, there's a Maisie look-alike that does pictures like that. In the face she's a dead ringer for Maisie but she's got a bigger rack. You can usually tell them apart pretty easily.
I kind of assume... that or photochop... but it's digits over the interttubes - what 'reality' is there to it in the first place?

Homerboy

Lifer
Mar 1, 2000
Actually, I think it's pretty real. She was included in one of the Fappenings and if I recall... from er... what my friend told me... there's bunches of pictures like this of her.

Dr. Zaus

Lifer
Oct 16, 2008
Actually, I think it's pretty real. She was included in one of the Fappenings and if I recall... from er... what my friend told me... there's bunches of pictures like this of her.
So you are saying your friend can give you non-book-spoiler, nsfw but sf-atot links?
meh. I prefer to think it's fake: I do not remember her from the fapening lists.

Remember there's a cosplayer whose a dead ringer for the face, and these are honestly much lower quality than a normal phone - perhaps to cover up bad photo-chop, perhaps to imply the authenticity of an inauthentic photo.

But if you prefer to think it's real, that's cool - perhaps we'll see her in such a getup in the next season and that'll settle the issue :-D.

GagHalfrunt

Lifer
Apr 19, 2001
meh. I prefer to think it's fake: I do not remember her from the fapening lists.

Remember there's a cosplayer whose a dead ringer for the face, and these are honestly much lower quality than a normal phone - perhaps to cover up bad photo-chop, perhaps to imply the authenticity of an inauthentic photo.

But if you prefer to think it's real, that's cool - perhaps we'll see her in such a getup in the next season and that'll settle the issue :-D.

The Fappening lists are irrelevant. There is, as you say, a cosplay enthusiast who is a dead ringer for Maisie in the face, but who has a much larger rack. You only have to glance at a real picture for a second to know which ones are really Maisie and which ones are not. Any pictures that display cleavage are night and day.

blankslate

Diamond Member
Jun 16, 2008
I really love the books GoT is based upon and there's a lot in the books that was never covered in the show. I think they could've done quite a bit more episodes, overall, than they've done but I guess it would probably bore most people unless they were pretty geeked about the books.

Don't you even mention the "B" word someone might start a crusade against yo reading ass....

_________

clamum

Lifer
Feb 13, 2003
Don't you even mention the "B" word someone might start a crusade against yo reading ass....

_________

I will kick them in their non-ASOIF reading pussy

Oh man. Maybe I'm behind everyone else (probably), but I just found out about the five people that are working on pilot scripts (GRRM is also involved) for a new HBO spin-off series (could be more than one, actually) from Game of Thrones. GRRM called it/them a "successor show" and confirmed it wouldn't be about Dunk & Egg nor Robert's Rebellion. Duuuuuude. I am excited for this! I kind of half-expected they would do a sister show, and it makes sense. I Googled the names announced as being the writers (Max Borenstein, Jane Goldman, Brian Helgeland, Carly Wray, and as-yet-unnamed); I just hope they can match the awesomeness of GoT.

Last edited:

dainthomas

Lifer
Dec 7, 2004
The trailers always look good. Then the series starts and it's filled with Dorne.

I still get pissed when I think about how bad they screwed up that whole plotline. And then I get even more pissed that GRRM is still going to cons and doing everything but his job.

GagHalfrunt

Lifer
Apr 19, 2001
I still get pissed when I think about how bad they screwed up that whole plotline. And then I get even more pissed that GRRM is still going to cons and doing everything but his job.

I'd be tempted to think that GRRM is just as pissed off as we are and is thinking "why bother writing it if they're going to fuck it up anyway?" But he gave up on writing it long before they got around to screwing with it. So this is what we're stuck with, a series that is alternating between brilliant and impossibly stupid and a book series that will never be done. At least not until he dies and his estate hires a ghost.

I still can't quite grasp why he hasn't already hired a couple of ghosts to churn out pages based on his existing outlines that he can then edit. If he had done that 10 years ago they could be through the entire series and 4 books deep into the prequels by now.

dainthomas

Lifer
Dec 7, 2004
I'd be tempted to think that GRRM is just as pissed off as we are and is thinking "why bother writing it if they're going to fuck it up anyway?" But he gave up on writing it long before they got around to screwing with it. So this is what we're stuck with, a series that is alternating between brilliant and impossibly stupid and a book series that will never be done. At least not until he dies and his estate hires a ghost.

I still can't quite grasp why he hasn't already hired a couple of ghosts to churn out pages based on his existing outlines that he can then edit. If he had done that 10 years ago they could be through the entire series and 4 books deep into the prequels by now.

Honestly I've always thought starting the show before the series was done was a pretty bad idea.

On a related note, I just picked up Beren and Luthien last week. JRRT is putting out more books than Martin and he's been dead for 43 years. ;)

GagHalfrunt

Lifer
Apr 19, 2001
Honestly I've always thought starting the show before the series was done was a pretty bad idea.

GRRM snookered HBO. When he was negotiating with HBO it was like 2007 or so. He had 4 books out already and convinced them that ADWD would be released any day, so it looked like a slam dunk that he could knock off the final two books with plenty of time to spare. They were looking 8-10 years down the road by the time it would take to get the series into production and then do 5 to 7 seasons out of the first 4 or 5 books. Then the delays for ADWD went on and on and on and on and the series was already through the first season and was a big hit before that book even hit the shelves. Going ahead with things in 2007 was perfectly reasonable, the only way it could fail was if GRRM gave up on the books completely. And then he did.