Game of Thrones - TV Series (NO BOOK SPOILERS)

Page 248 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

ZaneNBK

Golden Member
Sep 14, 2000
Let's step through this...
B. Dontos was being paid by Littlefinger to kill Joffery.

C. Olenna placed the poison and was in on it.

D. Varys likely knew of both the poison and Sansa's escape.

I haven't seen solid evidence of any of these three. Varys might have known of the poison and Sansa's escape, but I doubt he knew both, let alone either. As shown in this episode Little Finger had the necklace made. If it did contain the poison and Olenna was involved we're now talking about a conspiracy of 3, if not 4 people including a known drunk. As Little Finger points out, you can't trust a drunk to keep his mouth shut.

Most likely Dontos was paid to give the necklace to Sansa and get her to the ship during/after the wedding. It doesn't take a genius to figure out that death of the King during the wedding is a great time to get her to the ship.

smackababy

Lifer
Oct 30, 2008
I haven't seen solid evidence of any of these three. Varys might have known of the poison and Sansa's escape, but I doubt he knew both, let alone either. As shown in this episode Little Finger had the necklace made. If it did contain the poison and Olenna was involved we're now talking about a conspiracy of 3, if not 4 people including a known drunk. As Little Finger points out, you can't trust a drunk to keep his mouth shut.

Most likely Dontos was paid to give the necklace to Sansa and get her to the ship during/after the wedding. It doesn't take a genius to figure out that death of the King during the wedding is a great time to get her to the ship.

The depth of what Varys knows can't really be debated, because we have no clue. I'm sure he will find out what happened though, as he always does.

Now, Olenna was particularly telling in her conversation with Margaery.

And Tywin is already sinking his teeth into Tommen.

Overall, I wasn't particularly impressed with this episode. It didn't really have a lot more than Jon Snow is pretty clever and Dany isn't smart enough to use one of her dragons as champion.

Newbian

Lifer
Aug 24, 2008
I liked that episode, but I would rather they progressed one story line further instead of several just a little.

The problem is they interact with each other so much you can't do that too far and if you do one story line each episode by the time you got back to it 6-7 episodes would had passed.

Newbian

Lifer
Aug 24, 2008
The depth of what Varys knows can't really be debated, because we have no clue. I'm sure he will find out what happened though, as he always does.

Overall, I wasn't particularly impressed with this episode. It didn't really have a lot more than Jon Snow is pretty clever and Dany isn't smart enough to use one of her dragons as champion.

They are too valuable to risk on something like this and still small enough to be at risk especially as they have no experiance fighting people other then to spit fire at them while chained.

ZaneNBK

Golden Member
Sep 14, 2000
They are too valuable to risk on something like this and still small enough to be at risk especially as they have no experiance fighting people other then to spit fire at them while chained.

I personally thought using her dragons as champions would be considered "cheating" by locals and cause more problems than it solved. It's much better to send in a human to fight the champion than be accused of cheating or not properly following the custom.

It's like sending in your gunslinger to take out a knife fighter. Yeah, you won but you lost respect in the process. I know we've all been there, right? :p

Mar 10, 2005
well, lots of things almost happened in this episode. this is what did happen:

the good - baelish makes 1 hell of a return, although the show gives up on an excellent whodunnit?

the bad - sam and danerys continue to be a waste of time. maybe they aren't transferred well from the books?

the ugly - incestirape on the dead body of your incestikid. WTF???

the arya/hound scene was a let-down, and the stannis/davos scene was lame and awkward but at least it moved things along, oh so slowly. the wall threatened to be interesting for a moment.

not a very good episode, and definitely a bummer follow-up to the royal wedding. possibly the worst episode in the series.

ZaneNBK

Golden Member
Sep 14, 2000
not a very good episode, and definitely a bummer follow-up to the royal wedding. possibly the worst episode in the series.

I disagree with you about pretty much everything but the Sam portion. The Sam storyline this episode was pretty boring, but I found the rest of the episode to be interesting and enjoyable. Sure, it was no Ned's Head, Red Wedding or Purple Wedding, but obviously they can't do that every episode or even more than once or twice a season.

MongGrel

Lifer
Dec 3, 2013

I'd disagree with you on a few points, but I'm not supposed to even post in this one although you did make a point of coming to the spoiler thread and busting on my butt for even posting there.

If I even get in trouble for saying that so be it, just don't come over to the other and bust on me OK ?

You yourself should be busted for being over there and coming in here, but it seems some have special permission to do so.

You're not listening.
admin allisolm

Last edited by a moderator:

manimal

Lifer
Mar 30, 2007
That one was just fucked up D:

I bet Cercei is preggo. Thats why she told him that he was gone too long a few eps back.

Little finger did some creepy close talking with Sansa though it was nothing like the sexy time above.

Man Little finger really made a big move though I doubt he would act on his own.

I remember from the first episode when Arya was hiding in the crypts that Varis was talking to the guy who housed Dany and her brother and how they were talking about killing Ned Stark.

So who does Varys and Little finger REALLY serve!

I wonder who approached Pod about turning on Tyrion?

dbk

Lifer
Apr 23, 2004
Hmm why was Littlefinger in on this plot? What was he doing chilling on the sea lIke that? He left Kings Landing awhile ago... Were his action based on his affection for Catherine (Saving Sansa, killing Joffrey)? Who else is helping him? Questions questions..

Phoenix86

Lifer
May 21, 2003
Hmm why was Littlefinger in on this plot? What was he doing chilling on the sea lIke that? He left Kings Landing awhile ago... Were his action based on his affection for Catherine (Saving Sansa, killing Joffrey)? Who else is helping him? Questions questions..
Like Tyrion said, if you're going to kill the king make sure you are a million miles away and you aren't holding the cup like an idiot.

Someone said Olenna was the one who poisoned Joffrey, did I miss something?

What do people think about the choice in judges? Does Tywin need all 3 to vote his way? Why does he expect he can control the Dornish prince, even after offering him the mountain?

crownjules

Diamond Member
Jul 7, 2005

Littlefinger serves Littlefinger. Everything he does is to further his own ambitions. He and Varys are constantly at odds. Varys seems to be altruistic and wants to keep the realm intact for the benefit of everyone. Littlefinger wants to throw it into chaos so he can usurp more power for himself.

cronos

Diamond Member
Nov 7, 2001
Oh btw, apparently Pod's name is Podrick Payne. Is he related to Ilyn Payne, Ned Stark's executioner (son)? I believe that's the first time his name is known to us watchers, unless I missed it somewhere along the way.

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
By the way, the whole Sam plotline needs to go away.

Man I am so sick of it. Then next time he says "Gilly" in his little girly giggle I'm going to punch the TV.

Tyrion seems to be leaning towards Tywin, and I suppose we should trust his reasoning. I do like his comment about Cersei: "A murder in King's landing that my sister did not order, would certainly make this unique."

But he is probably not aware of Little Finger's involvement.

I agree with others, pretty weak episode over all. Just a bunch of direct followup from the events of the previous two episodes. Episode 1: Dany starts on a path towards city. Episode 3: Dany is at gate of city.

...the fuck.

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
He had to be behind it. The biggest schemer on the entire show just happens to know about a plot to assasinate the king and you really think he isn't behind it?

One of my first thoughts was that the previous two episodes were poorly edited. You know that missing jewel on the necklace that everyone talks about? I'm thinking that when Little Finger smashes it in episode 3--to show it is just cheap glass--this scene was shot before the Wedding scene and that is actually why it is missing in the earlier scene, and not due to Oleanna's pocketing it. Maybe she really was just stroking Sansa's hair?

Though, there is the comment from Oleana to Marjory: "You did well on this one [Joffrey], let's see how we handle the next one."
:hmm: