Game of Thrones - TV Series (NO BOOK SPOILERS)

Page 247 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

raasco

Platinum Member
Feb 6, 2009
For some reason they felt the need to have a segment on nearly every separate plot point in the series that episode. It was an ok episode, but too much jumping around.

It sure looks like Tywin was the killer after all.

MikeyLSU

Platinum Member
Dec 21, 2005
was the episode very dark (actual picture quality) to anyone else?

More than other episodes that I can remember, I was struggling to see what was going on in some parts. Not sure if my TV is just getting darker or the show was just absurdly dark.

raasco

Platinum Member
Feb 6, 2009
Huh? Did you sleep through the Littlefinger scene?

I'm still thinking that it was someone who was at the actual wedding. No? Littlefinger knows everything that happens in Kings Landing, but Tywin seemed all to happy to groom the younger kid to be king.

techs

Lifer
Sep 26, 2000
Huh? Did you sleep through the Littlefinger scene?

On first watching I didn't see anything more than Littlefinger knew there would be a poisoning, but not anything to indicate he was behind it. Did I miss something? Perhaps when I rewatch tomorrow I will catch it.

techs

Lifer
Sep 26, 2000
For some reason they felt the need to have a segment on nearly every separate plot point in the series that episode. It was an ok episode, but too much jumping around.

It sure looks like Tywin was the killer after all.

Yes, I recently commented on how they were spending more time on each segment and how that was an improvement. Then they went back to relatively short snippets with more storylines touched on this episode.

Kev

Lifer
Dec 17, 2001
I'm still thinking that it was someone who was at the actual wedding. No? Littlefinger knows everything that happens in Kings Landing, but Tywin seemed all to happy to groom the younger kid to be king.

Because he knows he can basically control Tommen if he "grooms" him this way, effectively being the king himself. He couldn't do that with Joffrey. That doesn't mean he would kill his own grandson.

bguile

Nov 30, 2011
On first watching I didn't see anything more than Littlefinger knew there would be a poisoning, but not anything to indicate he was behind it. Did I miss something? Perhaps when I rewatch tomorrow I will catch it.

He mentioned that he had the necklace made, so he was in on it.

That episode wasnt very good btw.

Kev

Lifer
Dec 17, 2001

He had to be behind it. The biggest schemer on the entire show just happens to know about a plot to assasinate the king and you really think he isn't behind it?

techs

Lifer
Sep 26, 2000
He had to be behind it. The biggest schemer on the entire show just happens to know about a plot to assasinate the king and you really think he isn't behind it?

If by "behind it" you mean it was his idea and he he carried it out, then no, I don't believe so. He might have carried out all or some of the details for someone else, though.

I don't see what Littlefinger gains by wanting to kill Joffrey. Now, Tywin, on the other hand practically went down a list of reasons why he would want Joffrey dead in the episode.

So, right now I am leaning towards Tywin being behind it, with Littlefinger one of those that carried it out.

And, that leaves Oleanna with the gem. Perhaps she saw it was a fake and took a gem to verify it. And now Oleanna may be led to investigate why Sansa had a fake gem, which might lead her to Littlefinger and the true power behind the poinsoning.

irishScott

Lifer
Oct 10, 2006
If by "behind it" you mean it was his idea and he he carried it out, then no, I don't believe so. He might have carried out all or some of the details for someone else, though.

I don't see what Littlefinger gains by wanting to kill Joffrey. Now, Tywin, on the other hand practically went down a list of reasons why he would want Joffrey dead in the episode.

So, right now I am leaning towards Tywin being behind it, with Littlefinger one of those that carried it out.

And, that leaves Oleanna with the gem. Perhaps she saw it was a fake and took a gem to verify it. And now Oleanna may be led to investigate why Sansa had a fake gem, which might lead her to Littlefinger and the true power behind the poinsoning.

I'm still confused as to what exactly was poisoned and how. Whomever did it had no way of knowing that only Geoffrey would eat the pie/drink the wine/both, but then again whomever did it may not have cared and everyone else just got lucky.

bguile

Nov 30, 2011

It wasn't Tywin. True, losing Joffery is addition by subtraction, but they (Lannisters) lost their claim on the north via Sansa, and it puts the Martels (who pretty much hate the Lannisters) one step closer to the throne, not to mention potentially losing Tyrion. Tywin would not do that.

Littlefinger gets Sansa, while the Tyrells got rid a threat to their biggest asset, Margery.

LegendKiller

Lifer
Mar 5, 2001
I'm still confused as to what exactly was poisoned and how. Whomever did it had no way of knowing that only Geoffrey would eat the pie/drink the wine/both, but then again whomever did it may not have cared and everyone else just got lucky.

Let's step through this...

1. Olenna talks to Margery about necklaces - foreshadowing that necklaces will play a part in future episodes.

2. Dontos, an utter fool that nobody cares about, suddenly gives Sansa a necklace, asking her to wear it during the wedding.

3. Olenna walks up to Sansa and takes a piece off of the necklace before the dinner.

4. Tyrion refills the cup but when the pie comes out Joffery sets it down on the table.

5. Joffery has Tyrion pick up the cup, which is actually in front of Olenna (you can see her clearly) and Tyrion hands it to Joffery.

6. Sansa exit stage right.

Here is what we know (or at least what I think we know).

A. Dontos was a fool and thought Sansa would be a big pay day.

B. Dontos was being paid by Littlefinger to kill Joffery.

C. Olenna placed the poison and was in on it.

D. Varys likely knew of both the poison and Sansa's escape.

E. Varys is loyal to the kingdom, not the king, so he couldn't really care if Joffery died, in fact, he seemed to be waiting for it the whole reception as he wasn't clapping, wasn't amused, and likely saw Joffery as more of a threat to the crown than Stannis.

F. Tywin wouldn't be part of it. It makes no sense why he would not only kill his grandson but also his son, even if he had a more pliable king. It makes perfect sense for Olenna to kill Joffery since she can probably just switch over to Tommen, that's already being laid out.

Phoenix86

Lifer
May 21, 2003
Yes, but Littlefinger was the one pulling all the strings. Littlefinger knew the king died before word could have possibly traveled to him. Ser Dontos came with Sansa straight from the wedding. He had knowledge of the poison, the necklace's true origin and Ser Dontos' intentions before the wedding happened.

irishScott

Lifer
Oct 10, 2006
Let's step through this...

1. Olenna talks to Margery about necklaces - foreshadowing that necklaces will play a part in future episodes.

2. Dontos, an utter fool that nobody cares about, suddenly gives Sansa a necklace, asking her to wear it during the wedding.

3. Olenna walks up to Sansa and takes a piece off of the necklace before the dinner.

4. Tyrion refills the cup but when the pie comes out Joffery sets it down on the table.

5. Joffery has Tyrion pick up the cup, which is actually in front of Olenna (you can see her clearly) and Tyrion hands it to Joffery.

6. Sansa exit stage right.

Here is what we know (or at least what I think we know).

A. Dontos was a fool and thought Sansa would be a big pay day.

B. Dontos was being paid by Littlefinger to kill Joffery.

C. Olenna placed the poison and was in on it.

D. Varys likely knew of both the poison and Sansa's escape.

E. Varys is loyal to the kingdom, not the king, so he couldn't really care if Joffery died, in fact, he seemed to be waiting for it the whole reception as he wasn't clapping, wasn't amused, and likely saw Joffery as more of a threat to the crown than Stannis.

F. Tywin wouldn't be part of it. It makes no sense why he would not only kill his grandson but also his son, even if he had a more pliable king. It makes perfect sense for Olenna to kill Joffery since she can probably just switch over to Tommen, that's already being laid out.

Re-watching that scene in detail, the cup is actually on the table right behind Margery. Geoffrey takes the empty cup from Tyrion, hands it to Margery and she puts it down right behind her. It is in front of Olenna, but still at least 5 feet away on a separate table. Hard for her to slip something in it without being noticed, I doubt the doves were that much of a distraction.

It's been established that Margery wasn't in on the plot, so there's no way Olenna would have know that there was an opportunity to slip the crystal in (if indeed she took it in the first place, it isn't clear that she palmed it when stroking Sansa's hair).

As of the most recent episode Little Finger is clearly involved, and I wouldn't put it past him to have orchestrated the whole thing. He's not at the wedding, or even in King's Landing at the time and back in Season 3 Episode 6 he talks to Varys about how he prefers Chaos and sees it as a ladder. Killing Geoffrey ensures chaos and another struggle for succession, albeit perhaps a less epic one.

bunnyfubbles

Lifer
Sep 3, 2001
would have been so much cooler...

1353202436331.jpg

why have a pissing contest when you can literally shit on your foes :awe: (I guess there is something a little too risqué even for HBO)

hating the new Dario even more since they had him replace Strong Belwas in this role (assuming its not a spoiler now that this scene has been inexorably altered)