Game of Thrones - TV Series (NO BOOK SPOILERS)

Page 193 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

bunnyfubbles

Lifer
Sep 3, 2001
The generally accepted theory is that Jon's
parents are Lyanna Stark and Rhaegar Targaryen.
In the books there is plenty of reasons to believe that. In the show, they've given out very little information about it.

on the contrary, I think they're giving us some good glimpses/hints we don't see in the book, although it is more subtle thus far

02ranger

Golden Member
Mar 22, 2006
I hammered out all five books in a few months after a loooong hiatus from reading. I couldn't stop myself.

Pretty much the same here, I tried to get into the first one about a year ago and I just couldn't. After watching the first GoT episode though, I flew through books 1-4 in about a month and a half, and the only reason I haven't finished book 5 yet is because I don't want to finish it and have to wait forever for the next book. lol

smackababy

Lifer
Oct 30, 2008
Could be another explanation now that I think of it. All of King Robert Baratheons "bastards" had black hair.

Ned repeatedly tells him that he has Stark Blood in him. So, unless Robert secretly knocked up Lyanna, or some other Stark girl while they were away, it doesn't really fit. I think general consensus is that he is Rhaegar and Lyanna's child, and in order to not upset Robert, Ned kept it a secret. In the books, quite a few houses talk about how Rhaegar and Lyanna eloped because she was betrothed to Robert. GRRM does a good job at showing just what each side believes and the giant disparity.

steve wilson

Sep 18, 2004
Ned repeatedly tells him that he has Stark Blood in him. So, unless Robert secretly knocked up Lyanna, or some other Stark girl while they were away, it doesn't really fit. I think general consensus is that he is Rhaegar and Lyanna's child, and in order to not upset Robert, Ned kept it a secret. In the books, quite a few houses talk about how Rhaegar and Lyanna eloped because she was betrothed to Robert. GRRM does a good job at showing just what each side believes and the giant disparity.

Yeah it is more likely Rhaegar and Lyanna, I'm just saying it's a possibility... a long shot yes.

biostud

Lifer
Feb 27, 2003
:D
10152562_757053407658281_1880396095_n.jpg

KeithTalent

Elite Member | Administrator | No Lifer
Administrator
Nov 30, 2005
It's going to be weird watching this weekly. I have a feeling I am going to be annoyed every time an episode ends because I will just want to watch the next one right away!

KT

Xonim

Golden Member
Jul 13, 2011
It's going to be weird watching this weekly. I have a feeling I am going to be annoyed every time an episode ends because I will just want to watch the next one right away!

KT

That's the problem. But GoT (at least in my circles) has more viewers than anything else I watch, so if I don't watch it weekly it'll be spoiled by my coworkers first thing Monday morning. And that can't happen.

manimal

Lifer
Mar 30, 2007

KT

Ya I binge watched two seasons catching up and a I am already pissed I had to wait so long. I almost felt remorse for not watching them as they air and experience the show slowly.

momeNt

Diamond Member
Jan 26, 2011
Ya I binge watched two seasons catching up and a I am already pissed I had to wait so long. I almost felt remorse for not watching them as they air and experience the show slowly.

There is going to be some displeasure any way you experience the show or read the books. I've done it all ways and I'm always sad when something is over.

Imported

Lifer
Sep 2, 2000
That's the problem. But GoT (at least in my circles) has more viewers than anything else I watch, so if I don't watch it weekly it'll be spoiled by my coworkers first thing Monday morning. And that can't happen.

Same here.. if I don't watch it, everyone at work will come spoil it on Monday.

purbeast0

No Lifer
Sep 13, 2001
i had seen seasons 1 and 2 but my wife hadn't seen any of it. my buddy let us borrow his hbo go account and we started from season 1 on a sunday night.

needless to say, we were caught up to all 3 seasons by the end of the following sunday night. the show is just amazing and there is so much going on at once. i caught things in seasons 1 and 2 that i didn't catch the first go around as well. just a phenomenal show.

i just wished i didn't know that a lot of people were going to die near the end of season 3. i didn't know exactly what was going to happen, but it was impossible to not hear anything about it for me. everyone i talked to would be like "OMG WAIT TILL END OF SEASON 3 HOPE YOU DONT MIND PEOPLE DYING!!". i just wish they never had said that even.

my wife was like in shock after that episode though. i also thought how it ended in dead silence as the credits came on with no background noise after her neck was slit, that it was a fucking perfect way to end that scene. just a crazy ass show but in such a good way.

KeithTalent

Administrator
Nov 30, 2005
Nobody talks about TV at my work here, and nobody I know watches the show anyway, so I am safe there. However I do like the idea of discussing the show on AT and listening to the GoT podcast I found on a weekly basis; should make the experience more enjoyable.

KT

Phoenix86

Lifer
May 21, 2003

KT
Yeah.... Just wait until the seasons end and you have to wait a whole year. ;)

Aharami

Lifer
Aug 31, 2001
The generally accepted theory is that Jon's
parents are Lyanna Stark and Rhaegar Targaryen.
In the books there is plenty of reasons to believe that. In the show, they've given out very little information about it.

huh? I thought Ned is Jon's father? feel free to give me any spoilers I am missing.

smackababy

Lifer
Oct 30, 2008
huh? I thought Ned is Jon's father? feel free to give me any spoilers I am missing.

Ned never really says anything other than Jon 'has Stark blood' in him. Also, the rest of Ned's kids don't exactly look like Jon, they all share traits with their mother and the Tully blood. In the later books, which the show hasn't touched on yet, there is belief among houses that Rhaegar and Lyanna eloped, rather than Rhaegar kidnapping her. Robert never really did much than admire her from afar, despite having been "given" her hand. Ned was the one that found Lyanna and her death was never fully explained, so people believe she died in child birth (and that being the possible reason she eloped). This is all conjecture though, as nobody except (and maybe not even) GRRM knows for certain. Jon could be the the last dragon, along with Bruce Leeroy ofc, and heir to the throne, rather than Dany.

KeithTalent

Administrator
Nov 30, 2005

He is, at least according to the show. Ned had Jon Snow with some wench which is why Lady Stark hated Jon so much which she explained at some point before meeting her demise at the Red Wedding. Ned also told the story at some point, I think while alone with Robert Barathian.

KT