Game of Thrones - TV Series (NO BOOK SPOILERS)

Page 192 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

AViking

Platinum Member
Sep 12, 2013
Here's another thing that I definitely enjoy more about the books. The ages of the characters. The actors are OLD in the show and it is kinda weird. Catelyn especially is ancient. She's 50 years old. In the book she's probably in her 30s.

steve wilson

Sep 18, 2004
I watched season 1 before picking up the books. The first book is almost identical to the show. After that it starts diverging. I think you're at an interesting spot because as we head towards the content of book 4 most people will probably advise you to skip the books. Truth is that book 4 kinda sucks. You just have to get through it. He wrote book 4 and 5 as one giant book and apologizes for it in the books. They had to make a decision on how to divide up that giant book and opted to do it by character rather than chronologically. This creates an odd book if there ever was one. Books 1-3 are great and I enjoyed book 5 although it took a while to get into after the chore of reading book 4. I'm definitely looking forward to book 6.

The books have more characters and they go into more depth. People want to use the red wedding as an example where the show is better but I think most people should recognize that they went way overboard with that scene. To me that was a publicity stunt. The changes to that scene were completely unnecessary to the story and mostly contributed to youtube hype.

The books, besides book 4, have a more even feel to them. There are no crazy publicity stunts being pulled. The basic gist is that anyone can die at any time. It will be interesting to see how the show deals with
the purple wedding
. I'm personally hoping they do not go all nuts like they did with the red wedding but at the same time I thought it was really fun. Watching people's reactions was priceless. Even my girlfriend was super pissed and swore she wasn't going to keep watching the show. We all know she will though.

In my opinion you should read the books. I think there's going to be a total of 7 if he doesn't die first.

Events like the red wedding are very necessary to the story and not publicity stunts. They are IMHO the best bits of the books. In the very first show where Jamie and Cersie are at it and he pushes Bran out the window or when Ned gets his head cut off... these jaw dropping moments and the fact no character is safe is what makes the books soo good.

steve wilson

Sep 18, 2004
Here's another thing that I definitely enjoy more about the books. The ages of the characters. The actors are OLD in the show and it is kinda weird. Catelyn especially is ancient. She's 50 years old. In the book she's probably in her 30s.

This has been covered before by the producers of the show... although the book is in a fictional setting it is still based on olden day times of humans. Back then 30 years old is equivalent to 50 now...15 years old then is like 10 years old now... etc ... etc.

smackababy

Lifer
Oct 30, 2008
This has been covered before by the producers of the show... although the book is in a fictional setting it is still based on olden day times of humans. Back then 30 years old is equivalent to 50 now...15 years old then is like 10 years old now... etc ... etc.

The real reason they did it was because they wanted to stay as true to the books as possible with Dany's character. And it is illegal in a lot of places for an actor over the age of 18 to portray an underage character in sexual situations. Thus, her being 13 would have instantly made GoT illegal in a lot of countries (the UK, I believe is the one cited).

Also, even R.R. Martin admits that the average life span of the time was severely impacted by the infants not surviving birth, and not so much as people dying young.

Gooberlx2

Lifer
May 4, 2001
Events like the red wedding are very necessary to the story and not publicity stunts. They are IMHO the best bits of the books. In the very first show where Jamie and Cersie are at it and he pushes Bran out the window or when Ned gets his head cut off... these jaw dropping moments and the fact no character is safe is what makes the books soo good.

He wasn't saying the Red Wedding itself was a stunt, but that the show's version of it, particular the initial stabbings, are a stunt. I don't particularly agree...even a book-pure version of that event would have kicked the audience in the nuts.
...but they had to do something to remove Lady Talissa from the story.

Kelvrick

Lifer
Feb 14, 2001

The actor who portrays Catelyn in the show wasn't the first choice. The first choice (looked younger) had a conflict.

I do agree that Catelyn looks way too old in the show though.

Initial casting had Jennifer Ehle in the part and pilot.

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
The actor who portrays Catelyn in the show wasn't the first choice. The first choice (looked younger) had a conflict.

I do agree that Catelyn looks way too old in the show though.

Initial casting had Jennifer Ehle in the part and pilot.

That character pumped out 5 kids. What kind of super fan can get angry that she doesn't look like some nubile 30 year-old?

:hmm:

KentState

Diamond Member
Oct 19, 2001
That character pumped out 5 kids. What kind of super fan can get angry that she doesn't look like some nubile 30 year-old?

Difference between a worn out 30 year old and a grandmother. The entire age of the cast however is off which takes away from story IMO. Big difference between a 16 y/o
leading the nights watch
or leading the north than someone in their mid to late 20s.

Last edited:

smackababy

Lifer
Oct 30, 2008

I am annoyed because I imagined her much more attractive and Sean Bean deserves far better!

Difference between a worn out 30 year old and a grandmother. The entire age of the cast however is off which takes away from story IMO. Big difference between a 16 y/o
leading the nights watch
or leading the north than someone in their mid to late 20s.
I think the aging of the characters makes it a lot more realistic. Rob being 15 and being as good of a commander is a bit of a stretch, but aging him a few years, it isn't as bad.
Arya being older also really helps her story line a good deal IMO, even if it makes her extra annoying in Season 1.

I do wish they had gotten another actress to play Cat and Cersei. Or, at the very least, dye that bitches eyebrows... Come on. It is infuriating having to look at her blond hair and black eyebrows.

BladeVenom

Lifer
Jun 2, 2005

Catelyn looks too old to be Rickon's mother. Especially with their medieval technology. With today's fertility treatments you see it more often, but even today if you saw a 50 year old woman with a 5 year old child, you'd assume she was the grandmother not the mother.

They doubled the age of Margaery. In the books she was 15, while the actress is in her early 30's. You might not think that that's a big deal yet, but
she marries Tommen. Now that creates an even larger age difference than was in the books. So now they switched actors and are going have an older boy play Tommen. That's just weird aging up a character in the middle of a story, while no time jump in the story has happened.

GagHalfrunt

Lifer
Apr 19, 2001
she marries Tommen. Now that creates an even larger age difference than was in the books. So now they switched actors and are going have an older boy play Tommen. That's just weird aging up a character in the middle of a story, while no time jump in the story has happened.

Right from the get-go they had age problems with this story. The characters in the books were too young to be shown doing those things on TV, so everyone had to be aged up appropriately to keep things legal and less pedobear. That would not have been a problem if they did it with more of an eye towards consistency. Sansa and Joffrey could have gone from 12 to 18, Danny from 13 to 19, Arya 9 to 15, Robb 14 or 15 to 21, add 10 years to the Ned and Kat, then Thommen could have gone 7 to 13 and Margaery at 19 could be viewed as a suitable match for both Renly and for Thommen. It all *could* have fit without recasting if they had gotten the casting right in the first place. It's like they did the age-doctoring on Sansa, Robb, Joffrey, Jon and Arya and completely forgot about the Thommen/Margaery union.

Pheran

Diamond Member
Apr 26, 2001
5bNdZ28.jpg

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
I cant' even get in a discussion involving my own comments in this thread because I'm pretty sure the spoiler tags in response are all related to shit that happens in the books.

great.

:D

iCyborg

Golden Member
Aug 8, 2008
I started the books soon after season two wrapped up. Totally worth it. Even now, post-show-Red-Wedding, there's lots to look forward to. I don't find that reading the books ruins the show, but generally makes it more enjoyable; though certainly there aren't any big surprises. Frankly, you're so invested in the characters in the book, those shocking events seem far more...shocking.

Watching people's youtube reactions to the show's Red Wedding is entertaining. But when I got through that chapter in the books, I had to take a break from reading and console myself with drink.
I've placed the order. I wanted to know if there was enough additional depth/background in the books, it's not exactly a consensus here, but more people recommended getting the books.

I don't have HBO, nor cable for that matter, and dvd/blu-ray for season 3 was released Feb 18, so I'll probably not get to watch season 4 until next year, and will have to stay away from this thread. Books should keep me busy, I only read 3-5 hours a week on average, so I might not even catch up.

On an unrelated note, I prefer reading on my e-Reader nowadays, but publishers's price makes no sense, $40 against $30 for paperbacks. Now they get less money, and there's cost for the paper book. Oh well, they lose more than I do...

iCyborg

Golden Member
Aug 8, 2008
Clicking on that link shows $41.96 plus taxes for me. I'm in Canada, and I clicked on Kindle version and it was $39.99, and web page says the price was set by the publisher.
Although it's a moot point since I have Kobo reader, and I checked on Kobo site - the price is the same $39.99. So, paperbook it is...

BladeVenom

Lifer
Jun 2, 2005
Nice find! I wonder what their answer was to GRRM regarding
Jon's mother
?
My prediction:
he's a Targaryan!

The generally accepted theory is that Jon's
parents are Lyanna Stark and Rhaegar Targaryen.
In the books there is plenty of reasons to believe that. In the show, they've given out very little information about it.

smackababy

Lifer
Oct 30, 2008
The generally accepted theory is that Jon's
parents are Lyanna Stark and Rhaegar Targaryen.
In the books there is plenty of reasons to believe that. In the show, they've given out very little information about it.

Well, we haven't reached the part where families are convinced that Rhaegar ran off with Lyanna to elope, rather than kill her, so the show has kept that speculation back.