Fallout 4 - it's official! Coming Nov 10, '15

Page 130 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

werepossum

Elite Member
Jul 10, 2006
I really don't mind an endgame. I'm not terribly interested in Fallout-meets-Minecraft. :\

At least every other Fallout's endgame "movie" showed how every important group/faction/location fared due to your actions, rather than a single blip for the one faction you favoured most.

Just... so.... underwhelming. :(
I would have been pretty pissed about dying at the end of the main quest, considering that I had rushed to complete it and therefore had not explored most of the game world, had I not purchased Fallout 3 as the GOTY edition several years after its debut.

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
BIG PROBLEM!

The latest patch and DLC activation did not cause any issues for me (By the way Vault Tec is friggen AWESOME!).

BUT, I do have a mod issue now. I recently updated my More Armor Slots mod from 1.3.3 to 1.4.dlc2.

Did not make any changes to my Lens Goggle mod but for some reason I can no longer install lenses in my goggles. I AM, however, able to install ballistic weave in all glasses and googles and all hats & helmets & handkerchiefs even though I was not able to do so before. I am also able to install Legendary Mods in all glasses, goggles, helmets, hats, and handkerchiefs even though I was not able to do so before.

The update to the More Armor Slots mod was not supposed to do that. I tried uninstalling it and it has not changed the Ballistic Weave & Legendary ability. Seems kinda overpowered to me and frankly I'd rather just have the ability to install lens mods to goggles & glasses and none of the other stuff.

Does anyone else have the ability to do this, and if so when did it appear? Did you get it after the Vault-Tec patch? Have you always been able to do it? Inquiring minds want to know.....

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
OK, it got fixed the hard way.
Was having some serious issues after the latest official patch. had to uninstall and reinstall the game. mod manager freaked out. had to reinstall every one of my mods again.

Now I no longer have ballistic weave and legendary slots on eyeglasses.
Also got back functionality in my tactical goggles. That was helpful.

werepossum

Elite Member
Jul 10, 2006
I'd never taken Preston as a companion before, so recently I decided to pop his cherry and see how the old boy handles a spot of senseless violence and danger. In spite of my aggressive virtual whoring I'd never seduced any of the male companions, so I decided WTF, I'll throw him a bone (so to speak.) Now he calls me babe. In front of NPCs. Hmmm. Think I need a slider for that, I have more personal growth enabled than I can handle. (So to speak . . .) Maybe I'll try Hancock next. Once you go skinless zombie . . .

One thing I dislike about Fallout 4's companions is their wanton disregard for anyone who isn't me. Nick leaves his cute secretary, Preston leaves his flock (not that he actually did anything for them), Piper the ultimate goody leaves her freakin' pre-teen kid sister, MacCready can't even be bothered to take medicine to his dying child, and I can send them to any settlement except where they need to be. That's just wrong. And none of them are as good, or as interesting, as Willow. Well, maybe Nick, Nick is awesome.

Question for the knowledgeable: I never advanced in the Brotherhood quest line. Do I have to finish Show No Mercy? I have read that if I do that quest, the Brotherhood becomes very aggressive and insists that I kill the other factions (or at least the Railroad.) I want to get the "good ending" and keep all the good factions alive and peaceful, but I don't know how to get "From Within without doing Show No Mercy. This flow chart seems to say I can safely complete Show No Mercy. http://gamerant.com/fallout-4-mission-tree/

Also, do I have to complete some Institute quests before ol' BR549 will summon me?

Face2Face

Diamond Member
Jun 6, 2001
Anyone played the Nuka World DLC yet? I'm still in the middle of Far Harbor, after finishing Automatron. NVIDIA is also releasing their DLC(Mod) tomorrow called "Vault 1080" Supposed to add some gameworks effects as well. It's free, so I'll definitely be checking it out. I'm nearly 130 Hrs in, and it feels like there is still a ton left to do...

werepossum

Elite Member
Jul 10, 2006
I started it tonight. So far I've been very pleasantly pleased. Between this and Far Harbor, I really got my money's worth.

Tweak155

Lifer
Sep 23, 2003
So I bought the season pass when I got this game, but haven't done any DLC (I did beat the main quest line and do plenty of exploring).

I've actually never done any DLC for any game ... if I want to do Far Harbor... what are the steps? I think I saw there is a DLC menu... is it just as simple as picking it? Or am I supposed to know where to go? Etc.

Face2Face

Diamond Member
Jun 6, 2001
I started it tonight. So far I've been very pleasantly pleased. Between this and Far Harbor, I really got my money's worth.

Awesome to hear. I'm probably 75% done with Far Harbor and I must say, it's really good. Definitely worth the asking price. I just gotta stop playing BF 1 so I can get back to Far Harbor.

So I bought the season pass when I got this game, but haven't done any DLC (I did beat the main quest line and do plenty of exploring).

I've actually never done any DLC for any game ... if I want to do Far Harbor... what are the steps? I think I saw there is a DLC menu... is it just as simple as picking it? Or am I supposed to know where to go? Etc.

I recommend playing Far Harbor, it's pretty awesome. Here's a snip from Forbes that shows you how to start the quest.

Bethesda makes it pretty easy. First, you’ll need to have completed the ‘Getting a Clue” quest in the main story: basically, you need to have traveled to Diamond City and met Nick Valentine, which most players will have already done. If you’ve already done that, you should see a new radio station for the Valentine detective agency in your pip-boy. give it a listen, then head to Diamond City to talk to Ellie, Valentine’s secretary. She’ll tell you about a new case for the agency, and send you off to the Nakano residence. So check your map, find the residence, and away you go. That’s basically it: you’ll be in Far Harbor in no time.

heymrdj

Diamond Member
May 28, 2007
Anyone go into Nukaworld try? I should get into it today once I'm done adulting.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Face2Face

Diamond Member
Jun 6, 2001
Anyone go into Nukaworld try? I should get into it today once I'm done adulting.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Not yet. It's loaded up on my system and its next on my list because I just beat Far Harbor. Seems like everyone on the island hates me now... Choose wisely.

werepossum

Elite Member
Jul 10, 2006
Having played through all the main quests, it's pretty decent. I dislike the heavy handed push toward playing as an evil character - it's as if Bethesda heard people complaint about a lack of opportunities for evil characters and answered with a DLC with almost no opportunities for those not playing as an evil character. But the art and the new world space are well done, if over the top. The Pack especially are a hoot. The land around the park is interesting as well.

One thing - this sucker is HARD. If you see cars flying up into the air, it's . . . Cave crickets. I swear. With my best weapons, it takes more than a full magazine at knife range to put one down, and it usually has several buddies. Backing away from one foe usually brings another, and I have had as many as four swarming around, attacking me and each other. Edit: To be clear, four different kinds of beasties.

Last edited:

werepossum

Elite Member
Jul 10, 2006
Found the best thing in Nuka World last night - a working Vaultec settler management console. Finally, the tool that should have shipped with the game!

Dahak

Diamond Member
Mar 2, 2000
Found the best thing in Nuka World last night - a working Vaultec settler management console. Finally, the tool that should have shipped with the game!

If its the one I am thinking of, it was added with the Vault-Tec DLC... mind you I have not play the VT or NukaWorld yet but had seen videos about it

werepossum

Elite Member
Jul 10, 2006
If its the one I am thinking of, it was added with the Vault-Tec DLC... mind you I have not play the VT or NukaWorld yet but had seen videos about it
Ah, that actually makes more sense as I spent almost no time with that DLC.

JujuFish

Lifer
Feb 3, 2005
If it ever goes back to the $30 it originally cost, it's $30 well spent. 2016 Winter sale?
I wouldn't pay more than $20. All past DLC was $10 a piece and since there are only 2 pieces of DLC that are like past DLC, that's $20.

werepossum

Elite Member
Jul 10, 2006
Well, the settler management console did not work for me in Far Harbor. Meh. In any case, I would like a console that spells out all the factors in settlement management. I have a couple which continually run in the sixties, for no reason I can see. I just tore down and rebuilt Oberland as a concrete box, to see if that helps.

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
Anieuy7.jpg

Stg-Flame

Diamond Member
Mar 10, 2007
I've been looking to pick this back up and run through it again, but I'm wondering if a mod exists to make raids more interesting. Thus far, I can't find anything that pertains to raids other than a simple "auto win raids if you don't show up" which is pretty dumb. I was hoping to see a mod that would add aspects like a battle took place if you didn't show up to help defend rather than just give you a clear "you lose". I had a settlement completely walled off and littered with missile turrets everywhere that would obliterate raiding parties within two seconds of me showing up, yet everything would be damaged if I didn't make an appearance. I would also like to see dynamic spawn points for the smarter raiders like Synths, Super Mutants, and Raiders - as in they don't just spawn in all clumped up and instead will come at your base from all sides. Or even have some other enemies mixed in rather than just a full array of Charred Ghouls - toss in some Deathclaws or Radscorpions into the mix.

Anything like that exist?

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
I've been looking to pick this back up and run through it again, but I'm wondering if a mod exists to make raids more interesting. Thus far, I can't find anything that pertains to raids other than a simple "auto win raids if you don't show up" which is pretty dumb. I was hoping to see a mod that would add aspects like a battle took place if you didn't show up to help defend rather than just give you a clear "you lose". I had a settlement completely walled off and littered with missile turrets everywhere that would obliterate raiding parties within two seconds of me showing up, yet everything would be damaged if I didn't make an appearance. I would also like to see dynamic spawn points for the smarter raiders like Synths, Super Mutants, and Raiders - as in they don't just spawn in all clumped up and instead will come at your base from all sides. Or even have some other enemies mixed in rather than just a full array of Charred Ghouls - toss in some Deathclaws or Radscorpions into the mix.

Anything like that exist?

Which sites have you checked?
Am pretty sure I saw many Raider mods on the Nexus.

Stg-Flame

Diamond Member
Mar 10, 2007
I was mainly looking at the Nexus, but the mods I found were either test modules or were abandoned and haven't been updated in a long time. I'm not even sure they are compatible with the most recent version.

I was directed to these mods: Settlement Raiding Mod - http://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/2995/
Vanilla Raid Enhancement - http://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/10396/
Attack My Settlements- http://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/11754/
Stronger raids. Fearsome Settlement Raiding - http://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/17964/
High Level Cannon Fodder - http://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/8647/

But I SRM is just a test module and the rest look like they haven't been updated in a while.

GusSmed

Feb 11, 2003
Meh. In any case, I would like a console that spells out all the factors in settlement management. I have a couple which continually run in the sixties, for no reason I can see.
I just fired up Fallout 4 after a couple of months away, and the first thing I did was build a Vault Tec Management Console. I was quite disappointed to see that it has fewer features than the Settlement Management Software mod. It's much more polished, but there's a host of information that the mod provides that the official Vault Tec console doesn't.

There's one hint in the mod as to why settlements are unhappy. It will tell you how many beds the game counts as "sheltered," and often it's a lot less than it should be. Unfortunately, there's no way to tell which beds are screwed up, or why. About your only choice is to build beds one at a time and check the status each time you build a new bed. I've never had the patience to do that.