Fallout 4 - it's official! Coming Nov 10, '15

Page 129 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
dtdRKmk.jpg

werepossum

Elite Member
Jul 10, 2006
^I think you need certain perks to build the conveyor belts, but you should be able to see them.

I finally tried out the stuff from the new DLC. The factory buildings look very similar to the barn stuff. Don't really see the point of the scaffolding except maybe for some very flimsy -- indestructible in this game -- towers.

The conveyor belts make the least sense for anything other than to see crap being moved around. Building parts is good but getting all those materials and putting them into the machines looks like a pain.

Then there's the ball chute thing... Fun if you want to see balls fly around your settlement or create a German engineering contraption with the traps/power switches.
Not to sound homophobic but I never want to see balls flying around my settlement.

I built a couple of ammo presses and weapons presses but the latter is ludicrously expensive in parts compared to what you get. Also, is there a piece of equipment that automatically scraps junk to get the necessary components?

Dahak

Diamond Member
Mar 2, 2000
Not to sound homophobic but I never want to see balls flying around my settlement.

I built a couple of ammo presses and weapons presses but the latter is ludicrously expensive in parts compared to what you get. Also, is there a piece of equipment that automatically scraps junk to get the necessary components?

Don't think so in the base dlc, but with Manufacturing Extended you could
http://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/15429/?

GusSmed

Feb 11, 2003
The manufacturing / conveyor belts part of the Contraptions DLC is really badly designed. The Manufacturing Extended mod addresses some, but not all, of the shortcomings. Notably, it has a machine to break down items directly into parts, a conveyor-merge piece, machines which take things out of the workshop inventory or store them in workshop inventory, and a bunch of obviously-missing item builders like a vault-suit maker.

Even with the mod, though, it's still not well realized. Whoever designed it should have taken a hard look at Factorio for ideas as to why you'd want conveyor belts. As designed, you should really just dump materials into a weapon or ammo making machine, and have the output go directly into storage. There's no reason to move intermediate parts around at all.

GusSmed

Feb 11, 2003
Also, is there a piece of equipment that automatically scraps junk to get the necessary components?
All the the manufacturing presses do that automatically. If you dump a hammer into a machine that's building something that needs steel, it'll break the hammer down into steel and wood and leave the wood still in the machine.

The Recycler from Manufacturing Extended does that in a generic way - it breaks down everything into generic resources and outputs the result. It's not really necessary, though, the way the various forges work.

If they were going to justify conveyor belts, they should have had machines require exactly the components they needed, and pass anything they can't use or any excess on. Output would be a different belt. In that scheme, you'd dump junk into the system, and the conveyor belts would route it to the correct forge. It'd look a little like Factorio, only simpler.

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
Figures, the crappy little mod that was already surpassed by other mods ALSO needs more mods just to make it useful.

I think Bethesda is getting a little stupid lately.

GusSmed

Feb 11, 2003
That the next DLC was vault settlement stuff has been known for a while. They announced that you could also "run social experiments like a good vault Supervisor." Which, given the track record of the new activities on the last two workshops, I expect to be extremely lame.

There have been some mods around for making vaults for a while. I'm not sure how well they work since the idea seemed out of place with the game - excavating a space underground for a vault would be a huge undertaking, far more than cobbling together the shacks for settlements.

I'll give it a shot when it does arrive, but my expectations are pretty low, despite being a big fan of settlement making for its own sake.

werepossum

Elite Member
Jul 10, 2006
That the next DLC was vault settlement stuff has been known for a while. They announced that you could also "run social experiments like a good vault Supervisor." Which, given the track record of the new activities on the last two workshops, I expect to be extremely lame.

There have been some mods around for making vaults for a while. I'm not sure how well they work since the idea seemed out of place with the game - excavating a space underground for a vault would be a huge undertaking, far more than cobbling together the shacks for settlements.

I'll give it a shot when it does arrive, but my expectations are pretty low, despite being a big fan of settlement making for its own sake.
Does seem rather strange that one can excavate & create an entire vault and/or build a fusion generator but not carve a rifle stock (depending on perks), built a wooden wall or roof without holes, or create a freakin' blanket.

I for one have zero interest in running cruel social experiments on vault-dwellers. Unless they invent Pokemon Go anyway.

Imp

Lifer
Feb 8, 2000
I gave the factory stuff another shot... Think I have it figured out now and it's a pain, needs a lot of surface area. Worst part is having to input my own materials. Would have been nice to be able to just link to my insanely huge stash of materials linked across a dozen settlements.

Dahak

Diamond Member
Mar 2, 2000
I gave the factory stuff another shot... Think I have it figured out now and it's a pain, needs a lot of surface area. Worst part is having to input my own materials. Would have been nice to be able to just link to my insanely huge stash of materials linked across a dozen settlements.

I can see where they wanted to go with settlement build and all the workshop dlc but its all half baked or incomplete. For one example a conveyor belt that divides but not one that combines?

From what was said on the official fo4 reddit the experiments are pretty tame apparently.
I cannot find the post or the exact details, but some of them seems ot affect the persons happiness for example

GusSmed

Feb 11, 2003
Before they let us mess with settler happiness they ought to fix settler happiness. It's very difficult to see in game why a settlement is happy or unhappy, and it's clear from using mods like Settlement Manager Software that some things are buggy but not visibly so. The mod will give you information like how many beds are considered "sheltered," and that number is never what it should be. A lot of beds that are very definitely under a roof aren't marked correctly.

Imp

Lifer
Feb 8, 2000
The new Vault DLC has a July 26 release date... Too lazy to google link.

Really wish they would update the difficulty by making the area near Sanctuary populate with difficult enemies after a certain level. I would love to have more than two or three settlements deal with attacks from level 100 Gunners.

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
The new Vault DLC has a July 26 release date... Too lazy to google link.

Really wish they would update the difficulty by making the area near Sanctuary populate with difficult enemies after a certain level. I would love to have more than two or three settlements deal with attacks from level 100 Gunners.

theres mods for wandering enemies and theres mods for settlement attacks.

Visit The Nexus.

Imp

Lifer
Feb 8, 2000
Ugh, game has stalled on the loading screen trying to load the same tiny location like 5 times in a row -- Steam has to resync every time. It's in Boston, this only happens in Boston, I don't know why, and I think it mainly happens when going from outdoors to indoors. I could walk away but now I have to know that I can get in there...

Blue_Max

Diamond Member
Jul 7, 2011
I got some kind of brief ending sequence for the Railroad, but that's it....

... are you kidding me, Bethesda??? This was the most anti-climatic, boring, WTF ending ever! Ridiculously disappointing! :( :(

KB

Diamond Member
Nov 8, 1999

... are you kidding me, Bethesda??? This was the most anti-climatic, boring, WTF ending ever! Ridiculously disappointing! :( :(

Did you finish it with any of the other factions? They all have a similar short endings.

Did you play Fallout 3 or New Vegas? same thing.
Fallout 3 was the absolute worst of them.

Imp

Lifer
Feb 8, 2000
Nooooooooooooooooo... DLC just came out at 7pm EST. They used 7/26/16 00:00 am GMT. I had a schedule to do other stuff.

Why! Everything's about EST, yo.

Phynaz

Lifer
Mar 13, 2006
Did you finish it with any of the other factions? They all have a similar short endings.

Did you play Fallout 3 or New Vegas? same thing.
Fallout 3 was the absolute worst of them.

Wut? Fallout 3 ending was great.

werepossum

Elite Member
Jul 10, 2006

Agreed, but at least you don't have to do anything special to continue playing afterward.

GusSmed

Feb 11, 2003
The "you die" nature of the ending in Fallout 3 put a lot of people off. I don't think it was bad per se, but I guess the fact that you sacrifice yourself for the greater good of the Capital Wasteland felt like losing to many players.

Of course then Broken Steel undid that, revealing that you just got really sick and didn't actually die of radiation poisoning.

Fallout 4's ending is hardly anticlimatic or boring. I'm not sure what happens if you side with the Institute, but you get some pretty involved battles if you finish with anyone else. I can't say I liked the final bit which ends all the non-Institute lines, since it seems like a huge, pointless waste, but it's only "short" if you arbitrarily decide the end mission doesn't start until you exit the Institute and discount everything leading up to that.

Imp

Lifer
Feb 8, 2000
The "you die" nature of the ending in Fallout 3 put a lot of people off. I don't think it was bad per se, but I guess the fact that you sacrifice yourself for the greater good of the Capital Wasteland felt like losing to many players.

Of course then Broken Steel undid that, revealing that you just got really sick and didn't actually die of radiation poisoning.

Wow. I completely forgot what happened at the end of Fallout 3. Broken Steel is a blur too. I remember New Vegas though.

And the Vault-Tec stuff is interesting. Everything connects together and it works in all settlements... I'm still more excited about the concrete though.

Blue_Max

Diamond Member
Jul 7, 2011
Agreed, but at least you don't have to do anything special to continue playing afterward.

I really don't mind an endgame. I'm not terribly interested in Fallout-meets-Minecraft. :\

At least every other Fallout's endgame "movie" showed how every important group/faction/location fared due to your actions, rather than a single blip for the one faction you favoured most.

Just... so.... underwhelming. :(