Fallout 4 - it's official! Coming Nov 10, '15

Page 134 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

werepossum

Elite Member
Jul 10, 2006
I very quickly relegate Dogmeat to Sanctuary - it just hurts my soul when he's trying to get up and can't.

Started another playthrough last week, this time as the female. That chick has a very sexy voice. However, I started on Survival mode and had to give up that. Had to replay way too much, but the kicker was that my Deadly Gunners/Deadly Raiders/Modern Weapons mods made it far too deadly. Took me about four hours to get all the way through Concord and a good hour to clean out Satellite Station Olivia. That was fun, but then I decided to make a run to the Drumlin Diner to see if I could buy a good weapon. First, you can't carry much in Survival mode, even though I crafted a backpack using my Modern Weapons terminal for another thirty pounds, so my purchasing power is low (which didn't make much difference as there was only one good weapon there and it was four thousand caps. Second, Deadly Gunners and Deadly Raiders both spawn a war party at the intersection. Normally they fight each other, and the first time that's what happened but after killing three privates (all with skulls since I'm level 8) I was killed by an exploding car. Fine, so I start out from the Red Rocket again. This time I kill four privates AND a vertibird before coming face to face with a Gunner General in T-51 power armor. WTF? My best weapons are a 10mm pistol (and I've no remaining bullets after fighting the privates) and a scoped pipe submachine gun doing 13 points of damage. I go through my remaining score or so of stimpacks without making more than a scratch on him. This time I bring down my minigun, but once again I make zero headway. At that point I gave it up, shifted down to Very Hard, consoled into Godmode, and proceeded to shoot him in the face for about fourteen game hours before he dies. I literally started shooting at around ten and shot him until the middle of the night. Then I kill the other privates and go off Godmode. But when I go to loot the bodies, I get jumped by the Raider war party, including a Raider Chieftain and ANOTHER Vertibird! All this for a level 8? Back into Godmode and shoot at point blank range until well after daylight.

I do not believe I would ever have passed that point in Survival mode. Or frankly, in Very Hard mode except by cheating.

Last edited:

Oyeve

Lifer
Oct 18, 1999
I very quickly relegate Dogmeat to Sanctuary - it just hurts my soul when he's trying to get up and can't.

Started another playthrough last week, this time as the female. That chick has a very sexy voice. However, I started on Survival mode and had to give up that shit. Had to replay way too much, but the kicker was that my Deadly Gunners/Deadly Raiders/Modern Weapons mods made it far too deadly. Took me about four hours to get all the way through Concord and a good hour to clean out Satellite Station Olivia. That was fun, but then I decided to make a run to the Drumlin Diner to see if I could buy a good weapon. First, you can't carry much in Survival mode, even though I crafted a backpack using my Modern Weapons terminal for another thirty pounds, so my purchasing power is low (which didn't make much difference as there was only one good weapon there and it was four thousand caps. Second, Deadly Gunners and Deadly Raiders both spawn a war party at the intersection. Normally they fight each other, and the first time that's what happened but after killing three privates (all with skulls since I'm level 8) I was killed by an exploding car. Fine, so I start out from the Red Rocket again. This time I kill four privates AND a vertibird before coming face to face with a Gunner General in T-51 power armor. WTF? My best weapons are a 10mm pistol (and I've no remaining bullets after fighting the privates) and a scoped pipe submachine gun doing 13 points of damage. I go through my remaining score or so of stimpacks without making more than a scratch on him. This time I bring down my minigun, but once again I make zero headway. At that point I gave it up, shifted down to Very Hard, consoled into Godmode, and proceeded to shoot him in the face for about fourteen game hours before he dies. I literally started shooting at around ten and shot him until the middle of the night. Then I kill the other privates and go off Godmode. But when I go to loot the bodies, I get jumped by the Raider war party, including a Raider Chieftain and ANOTHER Vertibird! All this for a level 8? Back into Godmode and shoot at point blank range until well after daylight.

I do not believe I would ever have passed that point in Survival mode. Or frankly, in Very Hard mode except by cheating.
Tgm

werepossum

Elite Member
Jul 10, 2006
I know I wrote earlier that Modern Weapons and the Deadly Gunners/Deadly Raiders mods made Fallout 4 a brand new game, but starting with a new character it's incredibly so. Personally there was one area, Drumlin's Diner, where I could not hack it even on Very Hard. But it's transformed much of the map into something where I really have to plan my approach. At level 18 with ADA, I expected clearing the ghouls from the National Guard training center to be a cakewalk, just like before. Instead there are seven Gunners there, five of which are skull level. They looked at me and I died, usually two to three hits whereas it took me dozens of hits to put down one of them. Even when I managed to pin them down with accurate semi auto fire, they would blind shoot and take me down with one burst. They also aggressively close and flank. I must have died a hundred times, often in a handful of seconds.

To beat this, I had to backtrack to where I had found a partial suit of T-51 power armor (I'm generally playing without it.) Then I had to map out where each skull level Gunner would be so that I could face then singly. Still took half a dozen attempts, but by intelligently using every healing item and combat chem I had, and spending over three hundred 5.56x45 rounds, I finally took them all. I spent over four hours on this one place - and loved it! Again, I had to break from my normal play and use chems and power armor - no VATS though - but it seemed perfectly immersive to do so.

For those of you who want a challenge, I very much recommend these mods. They give Fallout 4 a very deadly shooter element where only the very strongest enemies remain bullet sponges and combat feels appropriately deadly.