Fallout 4 - it's official! Coming Nov 10, '15

Page 132 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

GusSmed

Feb 11, 2003
I don't think most of us have been anything like so systematic. My impression is that there's generally 2-3 spawn points, but I've never taken notes.

BxgJ

Golden Member
Jul 27, 2015
Dang, I typed all this and got crickets. Nobody has anything to compare?
Well, I've played a bit but didn't get too far before restarting, and have been playing too much witcher 3. Was waiting on some mods to be updated for the dlc as well. Anyway I haven't built nearly enough on most of the settlements to compare, but I can say a bit.

With my first Sanctuary build I tried to wall in the whole place, and had some guys spawn inside the walls behind the slab to the left as you approach the big tree. This time I'm building a much smaller perimeter, putting a gate just past the house with the workbench, between it and the one across the street. The rest of the houses or slabs going to the circular dead end, with the big tree, are inside. The back of each house along with walls form the perimeter. So far no enemies have spawned inside, and the spot you mention they did so to you is right inside my gate.

Most of the others sound about right, though I don't have nearly enough time with many settlements to give a good comparison.

GusSmed

Feb 11, 2003
Looking into this further, there's no need for anecdotal accounts. The Settlement Software mod will mark spawn points for you. There are between 1 and 4 spawn points for each settlement, depending on the settlement.

There's a video that uses the mod to point them out. He's done some amusing things, like build deathtrap mazes around some of the spawn points which are deep inside the settlement.

There's a mod that attempts to fix this by moving the spawn points out of the settlement. From the comments, apparently this is not 100% reliable - sometimes raiders spawn off the marked points, particularly in Sanctuary, if you fast-travel.

Imp

Lifer
Feb 8, 2000

That's a book.

My defense is usually 150+ and I arm my settlers to the teeth. Regardless, the turrets usually take care of business easy. They really should scale settler levels to the player.

Attacks do appear to come in groups of two or three from different directions. The few settlements furthest away from Sanctuary are getting hit the most often now. It may be because I set up cages there and am drawing aggro -- no idea how the system works. Too bad there aren't more regular sustained attacks like those in one of the DLCs -- those seem to be single events.

Dahak

Diamond Member
Mar 2, 2000
Well to be fair it is a big wall of text :blush:

Personally I can only mention Sanctuary and it seemed that the always attacked from at least 2 spots that I remember, I got annoyed with the attacks and got a mod that turned them off.

werepossum

Elite Member
Jul 10, 2006
Thanks, folks. That makes me feel better about the time I spent typing my latest Great Wall of Text.

I suppose that when I occasionally get attacked from a non-standard spawn point, that's either the game not honoring its own spawn points, or the game deciding that during my several hours of travel to respond, the attackers mosied around and maybe had a picnic.

werepossum

Elite Member
Jul 10, 2006
Super Mutant picnics are particularly gruesome.
They certainly are when they decide to wait in a group directly in front of a couple dozen rocket launchers while I spend five hours "fast traveling" to get there and witness the 2.3 second "battle".

Imp

Lifer
Feb 8, 2000
O M G. I'm finally finishing Nuka-World.

I dual-saved and finished the bag guy, raider quests. Those were pretty meh. Then I loaded my old save to do the good guy approach.

I am getting freaking destroyed! Level 150 and top of the line power armor. I'm going up against level 69 raiders and lower in Nuka-World.

The problem is that the second I load a new zone, I get swarmed by a dozen at once. The worst thing is that I took Preston Garvey with me and he keeps walking into my shots -- parked my usual dual-minigun robot companion. It's insane but I love it, first real challenge I've had in a while. Having way more fun just killing all the raiders than working for/with them.

werepossum

Elite Member
Jul 10, 2006
O M G. I'm finally finishing Nuka-World.

I dual-saved and finished the bag guy, raider quests. Those were pretty meh. Then I loaded my old save to do the good guy approach.

I am getting freaking destroyed! Level 150 and top of the line power armor. I'm going up against level 69 raiders and lower in Nuka-World.

The problem is that the second I load a new zone, I get swarmed by a dozen at once. The worst thing is that I took Preston Garvey with me and he keeps walking into my shots -- parked my usual dual-minigun robot companion. It's insane but I love it, first real challenge I've had in a while. Having way more fun just killing all the raiders than working for/with them.
Nuka-World was actually significantly better than I had feared for players who don't want to be douches. Did have one odd thing
- after I killed all the raiders, the traders did not lose their collars, even though they discussed doing so. But the second or third time I returned from the main map, they had removed their collars - and all their clothes. Now I'm trading with a bunch of people in their undies.

I also found it difficult at around level 100 IIRC. I had brought no companion and did not realize that once I took down one set of bosses, not only the other gangs but also Gage would try to kill me. Taking out the operators meant emerging to find myself the target of every raider, and just trying to get back home and get my power armor had Gage shooting me. The one that really gave me a fit (even though I used the Nuka-Cola X-01 power armor) was the Pack. I thought I'd play it smart and attack across the roof, but when you switch cells you abruptly spawn in the center of the camp. Wow! Luckily I had modded the armor to have a jet pack so I could gain some altitude and a vantage point where at least not every single Pack could shoot me at the same time, otherwise they'd probably have killed me.

werepossum

Elite Member
Jul 10, 2006
I really really really wish they'd give Obsidian a whack at the Fallout 4 apple. Imagine the writing behind New Vegas with an engine that actually works.

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
If raiders are giving you grief, theres about a hundred mods out there for better turrets and traps. I like to put walls all around my towns, then fill them with flamethrower traps. Ideally any trap that works on Ambient power. I like using my super long range pylon.

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
I really really really wish they'd give Obsidian a whack at the Fallout 4 apple. Imagine the writing behind New Vegas with an engine that actually works.

I think Bethesda should seriously consider using the Unreal Engine. It works great and would make everyone's life easier.

werepossum

Elite Member
Jul 10, 2006
I think Bethesda should seriously consider using the Unreal Engine. It works great and would make everyone's life easier.
It would be interesting to see the analysis on that, royalties plus retraining versus perhaps less time making the games actually work properly. I will say though that for Fallout 4, Bethesda hit it out of the park as far as producing a bug-free open world game. It's pretty too, especially the distant vistas.

you2

Diamond Member
Apr 2, 2002
Well retraining is a one time event so in the long run not a big issue; so royalties and perhaps impact of features in their engines not supported by unreal or unity or some other engine of their choice. However on the plus side they will no longer have the cost of supporting their own engine so it is not clear they would end up behind (esp if they could negotitate a cap on royalties for 'big' as in big revenue games)...

Imp

Lifer
Feb 8, 2000
It would be interesting to see the analysis on that, royalties plus retraining versus perhaps less time making the games actually work properly. I will say though that for Fallout 4, Bethesda hit it out of the park as far as producing a bug-free open world game. It's pretty too, especially the distant vistas.

Especially after a few patches. With the game out of the box, I had the view distance pretty low and couldn't see much. Then that much bumped everything up and ya, it's beautiful.

maevinj

Nov 20, 2004
I saw where GMG has the season pass on sale for 26.79. Should I jump on this or wait to see if it goes cheaper on the Steam winter sale?

b-mac

Jun 15, 2015
I saw where GMG has the season pass on sale for 26.79. Should I jump on this or wait to see if it goes cheaper on the Steam winter sale?

I honestly doubt it will get much cheaper than that. Maybe 50% during the Christmas sale but even then that would only be 7 bucks or so cheaper. You can enjoy the content now for a month or so. Plus a lot of mods are starting to require all the DLC to function.

maevinj

Nov 20, 2004
I honestly doubt it will get much cheaper than that. Maybe 50% during the Christmas sale but even then that would only be 7 bucks or so cheaper. You can enjoy the content now for a month or so. Plus a lot of mods are starting to require all the DLC to function.
Thanks!

Stg-Flame

Diamond Member
Mar 10, 2007
For whatever reason, Youtube videos is getting me an error.

Does their version of Prey correlate at all to Human Head Studios' game - also called Prey?

Dahak

Diamond Member
Mar 2, 2000
For whatever reason, Youtube videos is getting me an error.

Does their version of Prey correlate at all to Human Head Studios' game - also called Prey?

From what I recall of the old Prey, and what others have said. Nope not at all

“Prey is not a sequel, it’s not a remake, it has no tie with the original,” says Raphael Colantonio, president of Arkane Studios and creative director of Prey.
https://bethesda.net/en/article/6RWo7Q6EggcaMEM0UW0ecW/what-is-prey

werepossum

Elite Member
Jul 10, 2006
FWIW, Bethesda's upcoming game Prey doesn't use ID Tech5 nor Creation Engine (Fallout/Skyrim) but it uses CryEngine.

Interesting. Is Bethesda the developer or merely the publisher?

Meanwhile, my Fallout 4 has developed a bizarre audio twist. The in-game radio plays fine, all other apps work fine, but noises directly in front of me no longer compute. It's especially bad in conversations where I have no control of my location, but jump to a randomly floating third person camera. (My favorite was the time I "docked" inside the NPC's mouth, so I'm carrying on a conversation with myself from inside his mouth, alternating between blackness and peering out at myself.) It's also bad in locating gunfire though, since I can only locate it by finding the dead zone.