EVE online

Page 5 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

JRich

Platinum Member
Jun 7, 2005
Originally posted by: Truenofan
awww, they nurfed snowballs. the BASTARDS....oh well...lol. i havent done any mineral stealing yet, but if i did, it would probly be in a cruiser or larger sized ship he he. or maybe a mwd bs or something, a bs going 800+m/s is pretty impressive when you want to steal mineral from someone lol.

edit: honestly im tellin you now, if there is ANYONE that needs mineral, i will mine it, and sell it at like 1/2 the normal price. region essence, constellation eustron, solar system ommare....so if your near there, i can mine quite a bit of mineral and sell it dirt cheap.

Orly? :) I might just do that. I'm in the Everyshore region.

Oct 25, 2006
I have 25 days left until battlecruiser 5. 25 days until my 80% resists to all, and a tank of at least 200 DPS. The Drake is GODLY.

Falloutboy

Diamond Member
Jan 2, 2003
I'm still playing after 3 years, have two accounts both around 35M sp. itsbest mmo out there in terms of depth atm. I'm not for co-op PvE which most mmos are now days with meaningless pvp. Eve is the opposit the PvE is there to serve a means to an end (provides alot of the basics into the econ) most everything else in the game is pvp from production to a real functioning economy to the passive 300+ vs 300+ fleet battles in 0.0

My main is Darpz and I joined up with Sniggerdly a few months back after my old corp went down a route I didn't want to follow and it has renewed my interest in the game.

Falloutboy

Diamond Member
Jan 2, 2003
Originally posted by: Michael
How long before you can "play":

I just wanted to make a note that the game has "zones":

High Security
Low Security
No Security

You start off with 800K experience points in skills and can pilot and fight a ship from the very beginning. You can play the game fine. With more experience in the game and with more skill points (real time based), you'll have access to more content and will do better, but it isn't like you're not playing at all until 1 year in.

Michael

there are alliances like goonfleet and a few other alliances that have programs like that that will get you into 0.0 within your first week, help you with ingame money get some of your basic skills and get you on your way, these are mostly pvp sentric groups and you will be expected to die in cheap ships holding down enemies. its a great way to get a feel for the game, and holding down multi billion isk ships with a ship worth under a million isk is an exilerating experience and wish I had the chance to do it when I was new.

Oct 25, 2006
Originally posted by: Jschmuck2
25....real days?

Yes, 25 real days. Titan skills take like a year.

It takes 23 years to reach max level in this game, assuming you do learning skills first (Which speeds up skill training time)

Michael

Elite member
Nov 19, 1999
Jschmuck2 - Yes, all training is in real time and happens even when you're not logged in. That is a big draw for me. There are 5 levels for each skill and each skill has a ranking that modifies how hard it is to train. Your attributes only modify training time, nothing else.

Levels 1 - 4 in most skills go fairly fast. Level 5 is what takes a long time. In many cases, you really have to want that level 5 (usually as it unlocks other skills in the skill tree, Battle Cruisers to 5 allows you to fly Command ships, for example) and you only get the same boost from 4 to 5 and you get from 3 to 4 and spend a lot more time.

Michael

Jschmuck2

Diamond Member
Jul 13, 2005
So how could someone joining the game ever expect to compete on the same level as a person who started on day one?

Michael

Elite member
Nov 19, 1999
1-on-1, assuming same ships and equipment, probably not.

You can always bring friends, though. That'll change the equation.

Michael

ultra laser

Banned
Jul 2, 2007
How much time do you need to dedicate to this game to be successful. A rough estimate will do. 40, 50, 60 hour a week?

novasatori

Diamond Member
Feb 27, 2003
Originally posted by: ultra laser
How much time do you need to dedicate to this game to be successful. A rough estimate will do. 40, 50, 60 hour a week?

If you ebay ISK you only need to log in intermittently after you get your fast starting levels of skills trained to change them when they're at the longer durations

So like what, once or twice a week or maybe once a month.

It all depends really on what skills you're training. You don't ever have to play really but buy books, and then let your character train.

I had a friend with a bunch of isk and just trained for like 6 months and then started playing when I could actually do things. I also made a lot of money by investing in other corporations (EIB before they scammed) I managed to turn 400m into 1.6b in 2 months doing nothing but training.

lupi

Lifer
Apr 8, 2001
I've played the demo for a couple days. The place seems too wide open for the amount of help the game provides to you along with the time needed to play to be competitive. Unless I'm missing something, space combat seems rather bland, even much less control options than the basic star trek sims. IF the game is all about the economy, then good for those just wanting to dabble in that but I'd rather have a little more action in my PVP game.

Stefx

Jul 17, 2007
So how could someone joining the game ever expect to compete on the same level as a person who started on day one?

The key is to join a corp. Even a new player can be an efficient tackler within days of training.

Squads often include a "tackler"... a fast nimble ship with a warp scrambler and/or a webber (a module that slows targets down).

The tactic is that the tackler gets into web/warpscrambler range and tackles the target, while the rest of the squad beats the target down to a pulp. The target, being warp scrambled, can't escape.

Being a tackler requires little "training" and allows you to join in bigger fights. Squads always welcome a tackler. This role will expose you to a lot of PvP and will give you valuable experience while you train your other skills.

Michael

Elite member
Nov 19, 1999
The corp I belong to (and I'm a director of) is willing to accept newer players and help them learn the game and get up to speed quickly. Even brand new players are useful in a fight, they just play different roles than more experienced players.

If you're a newer player looking for a corp to join to see what it is like, just PM me here and I'll give you the in game contact details. We're Empire based (in Everyshore) and are mainly a mission-running corporation. However, we also PvP, mine and have some industrial or trader players as well.

All we require is that you be a paying member (not a trial member).

We're typical in what we offer to members - discounts on ships, free ammo, and friends to play with.

Michael

Specop 007

Diamond Member
Jan 31, 2005

After about 5 million SP it becomes a case of very diminishing returns. If you stuck all 5 million in missiles, ships and shields your gonna give a good run to someone who spread it out among guns, shields, missiles, armor, navigation and ships.

Specop 007

Diamond Member
Jan 31, 2005
Originally posted by: tenshodo13
I have 25 days left until battlecruiser 5. 25 days until my 80% resists to all, and a tank of at least 200 DPS. The Drake is GODLY.

For passive tank.
Sadly enough though it sucks quite badly for damage. :(

Oct 25, 2006
Originally posted by: Specop 007

For passive tank.

My damage does suck. But I'm more of a support ship/drone sniper anyway. Lets see how much DPS drone ships can do when all of their T2 drones are little wrecks :).

I need to get more missile skills though. Only about 400k in it. Most of my training went toward my tank.

Specop 007

Diamond Member
Jan 31, 2005

For passive tank.

My damage does suck. But I'm more of a support ship/drone sniper anyway. Lets see how much DPS drone ships can do when all of their T2 drones are little wrecks :).

I need to get more missile skills though. Only about 400k in it. Most of my training went toward my tank.

You'll never really get all that good of damage from the Drake unfortunately.
Smartbombs make a mess of a drone boats day though :D

For PVP I really enjoy either a Manticore or Crow. Moa is fun too, and I have a nanophoon I wanna try out.

So many ships, so few skill points...... ;)

Kadarin

Lifer
Nov 23, 2001
When I was playing, my favorite form of pvp was small to medium sized recon gangs. I flew a Rook, and had Recon lvl 5 skill along with outstanding EW skills (my main character had 40M+ skillpoints).

Acanthus

Lifer
Aug 28, 2001
ostif.org
Originally posted by: cirrhosis
Acanthus - did you ever unleash that smartbombing raven in Empire?

Nah i had trouble installing it again on 64bit vista after a format and the subscription ran out :(

I was going to fraps it too.

AliasX

Jan 29, 2006
It can be quite fun as long as you are into flying around in random empty space. If that bores you too much, it isn't for you. While I liked most aspects, it seemed as though at the same time I'm leveling my skills, players from the day the game came out are leveling theirs, so there really is no way to catch up.

If you do try, be sure to go through the whole tutorial.

nsafreak

Diamond Member
Oct 16, 2001

For passive tank.

You'll never really get all that good of damage from the Drake unfortunately.
Smartbombs make a mess of a drone boats day though :D

For PVP I really enjoy either a Manticore or Crow. Moa is fun too, and I have a nanophoon I wanna try out.

So many ships, so few skill points...... ;)

Nanophoon isn't as good as it used to be since they smacked it with the nerf bat with the first round of need for speed changes. I love what they've done to the Deimos though, now it can properly fly as the blaster boat it was meant to be. And with the 8.8x damage multiplier I have I make short work of a lot of ships. :)