EVE online

BadRobot

May 25, 2007
eve onlinehttp://www.eve-online.com/ is the website
look slike it might be fun but its old....although it is still being supported it says that they are coming out with vista drivers in a month or so...

Wheelock

May 3, 2007
There's a free 2-week trial available at the moment. I recommend trying it. I played it, and liked a lot of the things I saw in the game, but couldn't get into it.

Graphically, it still looks impressive; what's more, a complete graphics overhaul is coming out sometime in the next few months. The game may be four years old, but it's got a rock solid subscriber base and appears to be very well managed by MMO standards.

What I didn't like about the game:
[*]Being stuck inside your ship / loneliness while docked (will be remedied by future patch introducing the ability to stroll around space stations with your avatar)
[*]The long wait time for skill leveling
[*]Lack of an engaging storyline or PvE
[*]The necessity to band up into a player corp for protection

Acanthus

Lifer
Aug 28, 2001
ostif.org
I played it for a while, got old and gave up.

Came back after a year for a few days on free trial, its still the same boring game.

The only fun part of the game takes a year of paying subscriptions and doing nothing to get to, certainly not worth it.

pontifex

Lifer
Dec 5, 2000
i've done the trial several times and even did the 30 day play but its not for me. you either love this game or hate it. i fall into the hate it category. too slow and boring. i hate the time based leveling system also.

BadRobot

May 25, 2007
Anyone play it that likes it or that currently is playing it? or know someone that plays it lol
I am probably going to give it a try no matter what but I am out of a gaming computer at the moment and jsut wnated some different opinions

thank you

JBT

Lifer
Nov 28, 2001
Tried it on a two week trial. While it "looked" really cool I couldn't get into how long it took to do things.

Looney

Lifer
Jun 13, 2000
'Played' the beta for about 6 months, and was boring as hell back then. Tried the trial just last month, and still boring as hell.

stevty2889

Diamond Member
Dec 13, 2003
I've been playing it for about 3 years now. I took about 10 months off in that time. It can become quite addicting. But like others said, with all the skill training being entirely time based, it can take quite some time before you can start doing the things you really want to do. One of my friends quit and came back twice already. They do continuously add content and make improvements, with many more to come, but it's deffinatly not for everyone.

Michael

Elite member
Nov 19, 1999
The skill system being time based is one main reason why I play it. The other is the very good economic model the game has, right up to you losing what was on your ship when it blows up (no regen at a regen point with all your gear).

I travel and have many spikes at work where I can't play for days at a time, so it is nice to know I don't have to grind experience points.

The game is very focussed on PvP, many fights are unfair and there is almost no place where you are safe once you leave a station. You can scam, cheat, lie steal and generally be a very bad guy and the game allows it. I find that the player base is older.

I've been playing for a year now and I still enjoy it. My corporation was just war decced by some extortionists and we're in combat with them almost every day (we're doing a little better than holding our own so far).

Play the 2 week trial and form your opinion. I would try and have a high perception and willpower if you think you're going to focus on a character that does lots of PvP.

Michael

Oct 25, 2006
This game is VERY hard on new players, and if you don't ge ton your feet quickly, you will grow bored fast. I'm 2 months in and Im having a blast with my battlecruiser, 30 person corp, and lots of pirating, wars, pvp, and mining.

Try it out.

BadRobot

May 25, 2007
what kind of names do people use, i was thinking of something normal but out of place in a game liek this, like "steve" =)

Oct 25, 2006
It really doesn't matter. My corp has guys named roby and I've seen guys named really stupid things that ought to ban everyone in a 50au radius.

Kadarin

Lifer
Nov 23, 2001
I've been playing it since mid '04, and just recently stopped, as I've been doing other things lately that don't involve PC games. Also, I've been getting more enjoyment following the political ingame situation on the eve-online forums than I've been getting actually playing the game.

nsafreak

Diamond Member
Oct 16, 2001
Well I'll pretty much echo what other folks have said so far. Its a game that you'll either love or you'll absolutely hate. I like the ability to still level if I don't play for a day or two and the amount of things that you can do in the game. I've been playing for about 2 years now and I just recently completed training for a command ship and after a short bit of training that I'm doing for a force recon now my next goal will be capital ships. Like many other games part of the key to enjoying it is finding a good group of people that you enjoy playing with. You may want to consider joining a corp in the EVE University alliance. They're pretty good about teaching new players the ropes.

vhx

Golden Member
Jul 19, 2006
I play the game. I currently have a whopper skill training (like 33 day skill) while my account is deactivated. :]

As to elaborate on what others are saying, you pretty much NEED a corporation to do anything fun or you will find yourself bored. Unless you do like the mission running type of thing, which isn't too bad, but gets old. The good thing is that most corporations are fairly mature and eager to accept new dedicated members. Downside is, if you do do the trial, not many will accept trials due to the play it for 2 weeks and quit.

The skill system is a love/hate relationship. On one hand you love it because you don't actually have to play the game to progress. On the other hand when you start getting into the the more advanced skills and high levels of those, it could take multiple days, to weeks. One could also argue not having to play the game to progress, that you have no incentive to play it and could just log in, set a skill, log out, repeat when that skill is finished.

That being said theres lots to do as long as you have a corporation to do stuff with. PvP is pretty much the staple of the game, mining, hunt pirate npcs in belts, produce/manufacture things, explore and find hidden complexes, salvagable items [[this is what appeals to me the most]], as well as mission running. Theres also other stuff too, each ship has a role, and it's up to you to see what you want to do.

I currently have trained up to Battleships, and recently got covert ops for exploration and the stealth bomber. The cloaking thing and sneaking around appeals to me. I want to get into the whole low sector space where you can actually control areas, build towers, outposts, etc... I'll see when I join again.

I can't wait for that new graphics update either, looks pretty nice.

imaheadcase

Diamond Member
May 9, 2005
I got about 8million Skill points on a charactor, I play it every now and then. But it gets boring without a corp. Corp recruitment is kind of a joke, if people spam looking members, its prob going to be a sucky corp. The good corps are small, and I've yet to find one in the game that recruits..

The game has its moments, it appeals to a certain person. But im more of a FPS guy :p

Kadarin

Lifer
Nov 23, 2001
Originally posted by: effee
Found the interface too confusing...got tired of it quick

There's an alliance ingame for people just like you: "oooh Shiny"

nsafreak

Diamond Member
Oct 16, 2001
Originally posted by: imaheadcase
I got about 8million Skill points on a charactor, I play it every now and then. But it gets boring without a corp. Corp recruitment is kind of a joke, if people spam looking members, its prob going to be a sucky corp. The good corps are small, and I've yet to find one in the game that recruits..

The game has its moments, it appeals to a certain person. But im more of a FPS guy :p

Well if you're into PvP feel free to drop me a line. I'm one of the directors for my corp and that's what we do as well as a good bit of along with ratting to keep our wallets up. We base out of stain and are part of the Insomnia alliance. You are right though the good corps typically don't spam recruitment chat, they find you. I only pass through that channel for laughs every now and then. I'm pretty sure that the bigger corps though do recruit its just that you have to meet certain requirements some higher than others. BodyCount Inc. (part of MC) probably still takes in members but I'm fairly sure you have to be a pretty competent PvPer to get in with them.

Seeruk

Nov 16, 2003
What people don't appreciate about eve is that it actually gives you everything that the players of MMORPG cry out for. A 100% player-based economy, the ability to affect the world, complete freedom to do what the hell you want, wars, effect the storyline, gazillions of events, be successfull in a million different ways etc etc

But in order to have this ideal, you need to be able to enjoy it thinking in the long term. Thus the 95% of the computer game playing population who have extreme ADD hate it.... which suits the rest of us just fine as we are able to enjoy a game for 4 or 5 years so far without the 'pwning d00ds' ;)

Acanthus

Lifer
Aug 28, 2001
ostif.org
Honestly my biggest complaint with eve was the extremely lackluster combat.

*orbit and activate stuff*
*wait for winner*
*loot and talk smack, or start buildling a new ship*

If Eve had a freespace 2 level of control over the ship, i would seriously never leave my home.

Acanthus

Lifer
Aug 28, 2001
ostif.org
Originally posted by: Seeruk
What people don't appreciate about eve is that it actually gives you everything that the players of MMORPG cry out for. A 100% player-based economy, the ability to affect the world, complete freedom to do what the hell you want, wars, effect the storyline, gazillions of events, be successfull in a million different ways etc etc

But in order to have this ideal, you need to be able to enjoy it thinking in the long term. Thus the 95% of the computer game playing population who have extreme ADD hate it.... which suits the rest of us just fine as we are able to enjoy a game for 4 or 5 years so far without the 'pwning d00ds' ;)

It does have a fantastic community.

In the same breath, my problems in the game have *ALWAYS* been my inability to find an organized corp.

cirrhosis

Golden Member
Mar 29, 2005
Started playing in July 03, and since August 03 with my main. I've been high and low, and ended up joining a corp that is home since May 04. Of course, I took off a year playing as well, I didn't think I'd be back but sure enough, here I am and sticking to it.

EVE is a brutally hardcore game - it's a game of risk vs. reward. If you try to go it solo and stick in empire, you are missing out on a large part of the game. EVE at the same time isn't for everyone - as someone else stated here, you either love it or you hate it, its that simple. You'll either love the complexity and depth, or throw up your hands in disgust and tell all your friends how much you think it sucks. For the people it does appeal to, you will find yourself glued to the screen, whether you PvP, mine, haul, spy, and so forth. For all the doohickeys and mods and ships the game offers, what is strongest and what keeps me there is the community.

If you are interested in the game, give it a 2-week try via the trial. Two weeks is sufficient time to decide if its either a game that'll sink its claws into you, or that you'll toss by the wayside.

Good luck!