Elon Musk now owns 9.2% of twitter...update.. will soon be the sole owner as Board of Directors accepts his purchase offer

Page 330 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

IronWing

No Lifer
Jul 20, 2001
The biggest problem I've seen with psychedelics is self delusion. I've spent hours creating my own perfect world, only to see it slip away, and as I try to revisit this perfect place and the drug is wearing off, the magic disappears, this perfect place is fleeting and there's no going back now. This can be very depressing sometimes, as your are back to your blah regular ordinary world. Some people try to hang on to something that was an only an elaborate waking dream.
The real world is f'in' awesome if you remember to experience it.

Reactions: hal2kilo

Xcobra

Diamond Member
Oct 19, 2004
The real world is f'in' awesome if you remember to experience it.
Exactly! For me, psychedelics are very introspective drugs. Allowing the mind to connect to many different parts of itself all at once. Which means many unconscious/subconscious things come up. Still parts of you, but unknown/less known. That, to me, is not delusion; it's a better way to connect myself to this life that we're all stuck in.

hal2kilo

Lifer
Feb 24, 2009
Exactly! For me, psychedelics are very introspective drugs. Allowing the mind to connect to many different parts of itself all at once. Which means many unconscious/subconscious things come up. Still parts of you, but unknown/less known. That, to me, is not delusion; it's a better way to connect myself to this life that we're all stuck in.
I completely agree, you still need to be well "grounded" .

Reactions: Xcobra

MrSquished

Lifer
Jan 14, 2013
Agreed. It's absolutely silly to just label psychedelics as bad because everyone's trying to escape rather than enjoy the beauty we have here. That's simply not true.

I mean sure some people use them wrong and some of them still have fun. People mostly use drugs like opiates to escape reality and just be numbed.

Psychedelics tend to open up your mind, and open up different parts of your mind.

Also your surroundings when you trip is very important at least to me and my crew in our twenties when we took a lot of acid and some shrooms. We especially loved tripping in nature. It was so much about the people we were with in the conversation but also the environment. But we got quite comfortable tripping, we'd do it a lot more places than just in the woods or a nice controlled environment in a home. Me and my best friend at the time, we still talk, We could just drop it a couple hits of acid and walk around New York City. Which can be tough to do for some with all that stimulation, But we were confident and we got a ticket once in Union square Park. We were tripping and just having these great conversations and laughing and so happy, sitting on a bench at Union square Park.

This guy walks over and says to us quite sternly I've been watching you guys for a while now from across there. And he started saying some Stern things then he said I have to give you a ticket..... For having too much fun!

He had a whole little ticket book and it was a whole schtick to get donations for a homeless shelter. We had a good laugh and a good chat and each gave him a dollar.

Studies have been done with psychedelics that show they do have solid positive traits.

Last edited:

uallas5

Golden Member
Jun 3, 2005
Lawsuit against the group that documented the increase in hate speech on X has been rightly tossed. Hopefully Elon's losing streak with these crappy "free speech for me and not for thee" lawsuits continues.

"A federal judge on Monday dismissed a lawsuit by Elon Musk's X Corp. against the nonprofit Center for Countering Digital Hate, ruling that the case was about "punishing" the research group for its speech."

Reactions: skyking and Dave_5k

Dave_5k

Golden Member
May 23, 2017
Lawsuit against the group that documented the increase in hate speech on X has been rightly tossed. Hopefully Elon's losing streak with these crappy "free speech for me and not for thee" lawsuits continues.

"A federal judge on Monday dismissed a lawsuit by Elon Musk's X Corp. against the nonprofit Center for Countering Digital Hate, ruling that the case was about "punishing" the research group for its speech."

I would just point out that even further, the judge found Elon guilty of bringing this lawsuit solely for the purpose of silencing his critics - and was found to be in clear violation of California anti-SLAPP laws. Thus his company is now on the hook to pay for all legal expenses for the defense as well. Sadly, anti-SLAPP legislation doesn't provide for punitive damages, even for mass-repeat offenders like Elon.

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006

Odd how the free speech absolutist lost here.

In other news Twitter is bankrolling a doctor who attempted to use lawsuits to silence free speech against her.

However big a piece of shit I thought this guy was he never fails to exceed it.

hal2kilo

Lifer
Feb 24, 2009
Agreed. It's absolutely silly to just label psychedelics as bad because everyone's trying to escape rather than enjoy the beauty we have here. That's simply not true.

I mean sure some people use them wrong and some of them still have fun. People mostly use drugs like opiates to escape reality and just be numbed.

Psychedelics tend to open up your mind, and open up different parts of your mind.

Also your surroundings when you trip is very important at least to me and my crew in our twenties when we took a lot of acid and some shrooms. We especially loved tripping in nature. It was so much about the people we were with in the conversation but also the environment. But we got quite comfortable tripping, we'd do it a lot more places than just in the woods or a nice controlled environment in a home. Me and my best friend at the time, we still talk, We could just drop it a couple hits of acid and walk around New York City. Which can be tough to do for some with all that stimulation, But we were confident and we got a ticket once in Union square Park. We were tripping and just having these great conversations and laughing and so happy, sitting on a bench at Union square Park.

This guy walks over and says to us quite sternly I've been watching you guys for a while now from across there. And he started saying some Stern things then he said I have to give you a ticket..... For having too much fun!

He had a whole little ticket book and it was a whole schtick to get donations for a homeless shelter. We had a good laugh and a good chat and each gave him a dollar.

Studies have been done with psychedelics that show they do have solid positive traits.
My last LSD trip fortunately one of the best I ever had. Once I got the damn dog corralled back in the apartment, I went to Piedmont Park (Atlanta) just down the street. Just sat with a friend who was also flying, looking at the biggest magnolia tree I had ever seen, interacting with people walking their dogs with the biggest grin stuck on my face. Smooth Swedish blotter.

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
My last LSD trip fortunately one of the best I ever had. Once I got the damn dog corralled back in the apartment, I went to Piedmont Park (Atlanta) just down the street. Just sat with a friend who was also flying, looking at the biggest magnolia tree I had ever seen, interacting with people walking their dogs with the biggest grin stuck on my face. Smooth Swedish blotter.
Probably the best night of my life was in the south of Thailand with my (now) wife where we ate a bunch of mushrooms and sat on the beach all night watching thunderstorms while warm rain fell on us. It was amazing.

We didn’t take them to escape the world, we ate them because it was an awesome experience.

Reactions: pmv and hal2kilo

brycejones

Lifer
Oct 18, 2005
Now that X's lawsuit against Media Matters has been dismissed the AG of Missouri has decided to jump into the fray and sue Media Matters.

Musk had this comment:

Musk thanked Bailey for filing the lawsuit in a post that said, "Media Matters is doing everything it can to undermine the First Amendment. Truly an evil organization."

I guess it's opposite day in his drug addled brain.

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
Now that X's lawsuit against Media Matters has been dismissed the AG of Missouri has decided to jump into the fray and sue Media Matters.

Musk had this comment:

I guess it's opposite day in his drug addled brain.
'As a first amendment absolutist I must use the government to suppress true speech I dislike.'

Reactions: pmv and Thump553

nakedfrog

No Lifer
Apr 3, 2001
"Media Matters has used fraud to solicit donations from Missourians in order to trick advertisers into removing their advertisements from X, formerly Twitter, one of the last platforms dedicated to free speech in America."
Goodness, I hope MO's AG is always this stalwart when entities are using fraud to solicit donations from Missourians.

• Haha
Reactions: Thump553 and iRONic

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
Goodness, I hope MO's AG is always this stalwart when entities are using fraud to solicit donations from Missourians.
What's most amusing/enraging about this whole thing is nobody disputes that what Media Matters posted is true.

Twitter's entire claim is that while it is true it was misleading as it doesn't show the usual user experience. Now I have no idea if that's true or not but it's also irrelevant because Media Matters never claimed it did.

brycejones

Lifer
Oct 18, 2005
What's most amusing/enraging about this whole thing is nobody disputes that what Media Matters posted is true.

Twitter's entire claim is that while it is true it was misleading as it doesn't show the usual user experience. Now I have no idea if that's true or not but it's also irrelevant because Media Matters never claimed it did.
And that claim was so bad it was laughed out of court with prejudice.

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
I'm starting to think this Musk guy may not be honest about being a free speech absolutist.
He's been very clear that he firmly stands for free speech in all circumstances unless that speech violates the law.

or talks about his private jet
or mentions the name of Nazis
or criticises Twitter
etc.

• Haha
Reactions: iRONic and hal2kilo

ivwshane

Lifer
May 15, 2000
If MO AG is going after media matters, isn’t that itself a violation of their free speech? What an I missing here?