Question Do you think GPU stock/prices will get back to normal before end of the year?

Page 14 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Coyle

May 15, 2020
I'm looking for a GPU to finish my build but the deal with GPUs right now reminds me of when I was trying to get a PSU, but maybe worse. Wondering if stock and prices will be getting back to normal before end of this year?

moonbogg

Lifer
Jan 8, 2011
Someone told me, and this is crazy (not coming from me), that you can use mining compute add-in cards to make computer graphics process faster than normal. It's some kind of alternate-use situation that can be made to work so the processor has to do less work than is typical. If you guys have the extra money (and time), maybe you can try to get your hands on a really old, used mining add-in card and see if you can put your knowledge and experience to work to somehow mod the thing to run games?

blckgrffn

Diamond Member
May 1, 2003
www.teamjuchems.com
I managed to get my hands on an ASUS TUF 3060 Ti today for $649 CAD ($492 USD). The price has since gone up to $729, but they are honouring the price I originally held it at. I put my name on a list about a month ago, and magically, they called me today. I already have an EVGA Ultra XC3 3070 (paid $829 CAD - $628 USD).

I'm considering selling the 3070 and keeping the 3060ti as there is only a 9% difference in performance at 1440p between them. I gain $200 instantly just by selling the (now used) 3070 for exactly what I paid for it. I'm assuming I'll make at least $200 more though. What would you do?

Keep both now and then when it gets hot for full speed ETH cards again flip them for new 3080tis 😂

MarkSabier89

Mar 10, 2021
cbdlocalseo.com
now it is March and I can say with confidence that it is unlikely that prices will return to normal even before the end of the year. Until the end of 2021. and this is very sad. Because I'm already looking for a normal GPU for the right price.

Reactions: Leeea

Ajay

Lifer
Jan 8, 2001
I have a tiny hope that there may be some 6700XT reference cards available from AMD at MSRP, but they will keep selling out in a matter of minutes. Wish I knew how to bot my one purchase.
Same with the reference RTX 3060 Tis at Best Buy. Apparently they drop every other week on a Tuesday - but I haven't seen anything other than 'sold out' where the order button should be.
If I don't get something by the end of March, I may just spend my money on something else.

ultimatebob

Lifer
Jul 1, 2001
You know what's crazy? If you go to Woot and look at their refurbished desktop page, there are NO gaming rigs left in there. I'll bet that they all got swooped up so people could harvest the 2 year old video cards from them.

• Haha
Reactions: lightmanek

Mopetar

Diamond Member
Jan 31, 2011
You know what's crazy? If you go to Woot and look at their refurbished desktop page, there are NO gaming rigs left in there. I'll bet that they all got swooped up so people could harvest the 2 year old video cards from them.

I can't wait for someone to figure out that you can mine some cryptocurrency really effectively on new Macs using Apple's M1 chip and buy up all of those. Wouldn't this mining farm look so much nicer if it was using Apple's more elegantly styled notebooks?

mining-farm-710x458.jpeg

(from: https://www.coindesk.com/nvidia-cryptocurrency-mining-china-laptops-gaming)

Last edited:

aleader

Oct 28, 2013
Keep both now and then when it gets hot for full speed ETH cards again flip them for new 3080tis 😂

I did. He already sold his 1660 Super in about 2 hours for $500. That's just nuts. So total cost to move up to a 3060ti (w/tax) was $206. This TUF card is really nice. It's metal all the way around, zero plastic, and he was just running RDR2 and it never got above 55C at 98% load. I put my name in for another one...then I'll sell the 3070 :D

MrTeal

Diamond Member
Dec 7, 2003
I did. He already sold his 1660 Super in about 2 hours for $500. That's just nuts. So total cost to move up to a 3060ti (w/tax) was $206. This TUF card is really nice. It's metal all the way around, zero plastic, and he was just running RDR2 and it never got above 55C at 98% load. I put my name in for another one...then I'll sell the 3070 :D
Really? That was the one up for $450 right? He got offers above asking on the 1660S?

aleader

Oct 28, 2013
Really? That was the one up for $450 right? He got offers above asking on the 1660S?

$475. You bet. He had 3 people bidding on it...I shake my head. Sold it on Facebook whateveritis... I have another one going (MSI 1660 Super) which I should probably sell right now before it becomes worth half that.

Last edited:

MrTeal

Diamond Member
Dec 7, 2003
$475. You bet. He had 3 people bidding on it...I shake my head. Sold it on Facebook whateveritis... I have another one going (MSI 1660 Super) which I should probably sell right now before it becomes worth half that.
That's nuts. I almost pulled the trigger on a TUF 1660S a couple times today, but couldn't at 410 all in. :p

aleader

Oct 28, 2013
That's nuts. I almost pulled the trigger on a TUF 1660S a couple times today, but couldn't at 410 all in. :p

Agreed. I wouldn't pay it. My son's pretty happy though. My wife still complained :rolleyes: "More video cards?" I asked her to show me a single thing of hers that we can sell for anywhere close to what she paid. The 1660S seems pretty 'easy' to get if you're watching, but they keep jacking the price.

I told him he'd be lucky to get $400 for it, which was still $35 more than he paid. Normally you crack the seal, it's worth 2/3 at best. What do I know. I also had a 6800XT in my cart last week, but for $1,210 +tax...I honestly didn't want to deal with the hassle as I knew I wouldn't be keeping it.

Golgatha

Lifer
Jul 18, 2003
Reading this thread and wondering if I should sell my 1660 ti and do without Turing transcoding on my Plex box for a few months. Especially so since the box has a Ryzen 3600 in it now, so I could easily get by with CPU transcoding (I think).

Feb 4, 2009
Reading this thread and wondering if I should sell my 1660 ti and do without Turing transcoding on my Plex box for a few months. Especially so since the box has a Ryzen 3600 in it now, so I could easily get by with CPU transcoding (I think).

Yes, I would.
I’d sell my 1660ti right now if I had a viable even if old back up card.

moonbogg

Lifer
Jan 8, 2011
I saw a video of a mining guy show the daily profit from an RTX 3060 mining various coins. The highest was about $4.00 per day, and that was coins without the eth nerf effecting it. The 3060 is expensive right now and it's a gamble to hope you can sell it for near what you paid, so mining seems like a high risk at this point. I think a huge part of the appeal to mining has to be the resale prospects of the GPUs. That seems pretty critical to me, so it seems important to buy up the GPUs before the prices inflate to the moon, because if you buy at inflated prices, you gamble that there won't be a crash and you lose money on the cards. I think the prices of the cards can almost control the value of the coin, lol.
So hopefully the GPU market is screwed enough to lower demand for mining with GPUs. I don't know. I'm trying to be hopeful.

Mopetar

Diamond Member
Jan 31, 2011
I saw a video of a mining guy show the daily profit from an RTX 3060 mining various coins. The highest was about $4.00 per day, and that was coins without the eth nerf effecting it. The 3060 is expensive right now and it's a gamble to hope you can sell it for near what you paid, so mining seems like a high risk at this point.

At $4 profit per day, the card pays for itself after 82 - 132 days depending on what card you bought. That's a fairly reasonable ROI and assumes no one develops a workaround so that it can mine ETH (which I'm assuming would be more profitable) at the full capabilities of the hardware. After 3 - 4 months you've paid off the initial purchase of the card and are getting pure profit. If you decide to stop mining you can probably sell the card for at least $300. I don't think there's a lot of risk, at least not compared to what miners normally find acceptable.

Dave_5k

Golden Member
May 23, 2017
So will this thread, started in reference to 2020 graphics card availability, still be a top trending thread through 2022? No signs yet at all that graphics card shortage will be subsiding this year. And then we'll start looking forward to the next generation of unobtanium to chase after.

Mopetar

Diamond Member
Jan 31, 2011
So will this thread, started in reference to 2020 graphics card availability, still be a top trending thread through 2022? No signs yet at all that graphics card shortage will be subsiding this year. And then we'll start looking forward to the next generation of unobtanium to chase after.

Some day we'll be telling our grandchildren how we lived through the Great GPU Depression.