Do you own any weapons?

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

kamiam

Banned
Dec 12, 1999
Montanafan...a mossberg 410 gauge or 20 gauge would suit you best....stay away from a 12 gauge...probably too much kick for you,and they are relatively cheap...under $200...good luck and if you havent done so already take a firearms safety course..thats HIGHLY recommended:D

OS

Lifer
Oct 11, 1999
Got a ? for all the home defense gun toters out there :) How do you deal with the possibility that you might shoot a friend or a family member? I've been wanting to buy maybe a pistol grip shotgun, but it's a very worrisome point that someone I know might get shot.

montanafan

Diamond Member
Nov 7, 1999
kamian, my Dad taught me how to shoot when I was in junior high, but I never took an interest in the shotguns because of the kick from the first one I tried.

Does the .410 have less kick than the .20 gauge? Is that a pump action? Are they hard to work?

Thanks for the advice.

Russ

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
HMM, kamian, I think even with the recoil, a 12 gauge would still be a better choice because it has exponentially more stopping power. She can get used to the kick with training. I would recommend against firing slugs one-handed with the pistol grip though.:) Major pain and bruising the next day.

Mossberg 500.

OuterSquare,

That is the point of a shotgun. It will destroy everything in it's path, but it unlikely to penetrate walls.

Russ, NCNE

John

Moderator Emeritus<br>Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
I have a Colt All American model 2000 9mm w/ (3)15 shot clips :)

The gun is double action ONLY (no hammer) and has a polymer frame. I picked it up back in 1995 for $175.00 from a guy that was desperate for cash.

I am in the process of taking the Texas concealed handgun class so I can &quot;legally&quot; carry it with me.

TimberWolf

Oct 11, 1999
kamiam:

Sadly, I understand exactly what you mean . . .

I live in mid-eastern PA, and I'm registered as a Republican - But I will continue to give my vote to my Democrat Congressman, regardless of whomever runs against him for election, until he stops sucking air, or just doesn't want the job anymore. He has been a loyal defender of the 2nd Amendment and &quot;Right To Carry&quot; issues; and he always responds promptly and personally to any correspondance. Thanks to him, I learned long ago that it's not a &quot;Republican vs. Democrat&quot; or &quot;Liberal vs. Conservative&quot; issue. I'm content to engage in &quot;constructive dialogue&quot; with him on anything else.

Tom:

I believe you are commenting primarily on the FFL requirements for dealers and collectors, allowing them to trade in NFA firearms. According to BATF reg's, private ownership of Title III firearms requirements are as I previously stated; the cost for the Tax Stamp is $200.

http://www.atf.treas.gov/regulations/27cfr179.htm

montanafan:

A .410 Ga. shotgun makes an excellent defense weapon (with proper training). It's light and easily controlled, with moderate penetration in enclosed areas. Check for NRA certified instructors in your area, and let them know you're not sure about selecting a particular weapon and/or caliber - they may be willing to provide firearms for you to use as a &quot;working example&quot; to help you make a decision.

OuterSquare:

The operative term is &quot;Home Defense&quot;, not &quot;offense&quot;.

You don't &quot;go hunting&quot; for an intruder. And forget all the Hollywood Bull$hit you see on TV.

Ideally, you retreat to a pre-determined and easily defended &quot;safe area&quot; equipped with a phone and a secure barrier. Call for help; and make it clear to the intruder that you are armed, and prepared to defend yourself.

Please understand - If you're not willing to obtain proper training, practice regularly, and develop target aquisition and identification skills - Don't buy a gun.

kamiam

Banned
Dec 12, 1999
Timberwolf... I fully understand...and I would do the same in your shoes...albeit very unusual for a democrat to be on the side of the 2nd amendment:Q

HannibalX

Diamond Member
May 12, 2000
For home protection get a Mossberg 590 Compact Mariner, light weight, short barrol for indoor use and there is no stock either - you don't need a stock indoors becuase the spread is so wide you dont need to be perfectly accurate.

OS

Lifer
Oct 11, 1999
I see, thanks guys. I guess a class is in order if I decide to get a shotgun. Is there a certain brand of shotgun that is good keeping cost in perspective? I hear mossberg tossed around a bit when it comes to shotguns.

Tiger

Platinum Member
Oct 9, 1999
I own:

Ithaca Mag10 10ga semi-auto Goose gun.
Reminton Model 1100 12ga semi-auto, 30inch barrel, full choke.
Remington Model 870 20ga pump.

I have owned:

Remington model 700 ADL, chambered for .270Win, Simmons 3-9 X 40.
Remington model 7400 semi-auto, chambered for 30-06, Simmons 3-9 X 40.

Prong

Jul 11, 2000
I have several myself:
I thought I'd add to the list.

Remington 700 LSS 7MM Mag
&quot; &quot; BDL 30-06
&quot; &quot; VLS .223
&quot; &quot; VS 22-250
&quot; 788 .243
&quot; 870 Wingmaster 12ga
&quot; 1187 Premier Grade 12ga
Bushmaster AR-15 .223
Norinco SKS 7.62x39
Marlin 60 .22LR
&quot; 25M .22 Mag
Dan Wesson .44 mag (pistol)
Ruger P90 .45 ACP (pistol)

I'm Typing

Golden Member
Oct 9, 1999
If anyone here is contemplating purchasing a gun, please make sure you BUY and USE the a trigger lock? If you want to feel safe in the home at night, curl up with the damn gun in bed...but if you are not home, make sure that there is a lock on the gun.

For every 1 home invasion robbery, there are 42 gun-related deaths or injuries (CDC 1997 Report on Gun deaths and injuries). Remember that when you decide to leave the house with an unlocked weapon lying around.

Mday

Lifer
Oct 14, 1999
i own a computer. it is a weapon. i can &quot;kill&quot; you if i knew how to hack.

Russ

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999

<< please make sure you BUY and USE the a trigger lock >>

I have no trigger locks, and no intention of buying any unless my cat can figure out how to get in to my gun safe.:)

Russ, NCNE

Tiger

Platinum Member
Oct 9, 1999
I forgot to mention the Louisville Slugger softball bat I have stashed in my closet. How do I put a trigger lock on one of those?;)

All of ny guns have trigger locks and the Ammo is stored seperately. The bat would be a better defensive weapon than one of the guns anyhow. Of course I live in a rural area. If I lived where Russ does I'd have a handgun of some sort, or a 12ga riot gun.

Ethernet

Jul 11, 2000
I have an old shot gun, it's a wopping 4 gauge (largest slugs I have ever seen). I have never fired it becuase the bolt it jammed, and I am not a gun smith, I don't know how to fix it. Maybe someday I will have it fixed.

Tominator

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
TimberWolf

I've 'been there!' There are literally Volumes of Laws concerning this. Even BATF agents do not understand the laws.

Another note. If you even try to get a Full Auto weapon or silencer...they will investigate you like you never thought possible! Not even your Mother will know all they do and even then you will be denied! You will also be 'watched' for the rest of your life.

Several friends of mine have been in the business for over 30 years. Selling NFA or Class 3 Weaponery. They are continually harassed by Government Agencies! From the FBI and BATF to the IRS.

I will guarantee an individual has no chance in hell of getting a permit, tax stamp, or permission from the Local Yokel to get any Full Auto or suppressed weapon. It ain't going to happen!

Here is a 'simple test.' What length barrel is considered regulated on a shotgun? 18 inches you say? Is this measured at the breech face? After the chamber? What about different shell lengths? A shotgun may take 2.75 to 3.5 inch shells depending on the model. Where does one take the measurement? The difference is mandatory 10 years in a Federal Pen and a legal firearm!....

Guns and Ammo [A magazine] did a survey of BATF and FBI agents involved in the regulation of firearms. Not one got it right! Over 50 agents were questioned! Even after an 'Official' statement was made because of the fiasco, and the referenced law was quoted, it was plain that it was the interperation of the law and only policy at that time dictated the proper answer!

Government run amuck!

Remember Randy Weaver? This very issue is what started all his problems.

I'll say it again. You or anyone you know excepting a Federally Licensed Dealer will not ever be able to own a legal full auto or silenced firearm! Never! An individual COP hasn't got a chance. Never happen.

Bozo Galora

Diamond Member
Oct 28, 1999

The .410 derringer was added to &quot;restricted class&quot; weapon, considered &quot;sawed off shotgun&quot;. Requires tax stamp. $10,000 fine/10 years in jail penalty.
Friend moved to Kentucky recently, bought 160 acres + home for $71K. Within a month or two bought a dozen legal belt feds. Within another few months got a Class III dealer lic. Nows sells to local police. Drives around in a WWII jeep with a live M-60 mounted in rear, nobody ever bothers him. Last time I called, he laid down phone, fired M1906 Browning water cooled out his rear door for me to hear.
On the other end of scale, Calif. Sup Ct. just ruled assault weapon ban legal, are going to add more weapons to &quot;list&quot;, bring number up to 120, including &quot;generic&quot; descriptions. Poor bastards that legally bought non-listed guns, will now have to register them as &quot;grandfathered in&quot; newly banned. They are left with choice of registering guns with people who hate them, or being a felon.
I dont own a gun anymore. Now I can read about all that gun control stuff without a care in the world.

Tominator

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999

<< Within a month or two bought a dozen legal belt feds >>

Didn't happen....sorry, but I don't believe it. You just might not have all the 'facts.' If he had a license before and you've got a different story.

<< WWII jeep with a live M-60 mounted in rear, >>

That is a Federal Felony! You could not attach a .22 pistol to a vehicle legally. No license, Governor or President can make it so.

The Franchi Spas-12 is a over rated piece of junk! Heavy, flimsy folding stock, and a overly complicated action. It looks 'bad,' and can shoot either semi-auto or pump action. 'Interesting' is the best I can describe it.

Slight amendment...if the Jeep wasn't licensed it might be legal. The quad thirties I shot were mounted on the back of a WWII era halftrack. Not licensed for the street. This was in Kentucky over 10 years ago.

meister

Nov 9, 1999
Have a nice .380 beretta cheeta. Just got this last winter, nickle plated with walnut grips. Fires nice and is a handsome gun.

Also old winchester side by side shotgun.

Mark

MooseKnuckle

Golden Member
Oct 24, 1999
Russ, I just picked up my new Beretta today, complete with a trigger lock, WTF. I guess they buckled under pressure from the damn Democrats. BTW, I'm Typing, send me your address and I'll mail you my trigger lock...lol.