Democratic Primary Poll (Formerly Warren or Gabbard)

Page 6 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Warren or Gabbard

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

realibrad

Lifer
Oct 18, 2013
I don't agree with that. I think mass incarceration, private prison abuse, and other CJ overreaching from the '90s are now widely seen as a huge mistake and a grave injustice. Trump's base is maybe the only group that still likes that stuff.

That injustice is really only on the Left though. Biden is never going to get the Trump base, but, anyone that is center Right might swing. Like I said though, if Biden can get through to get the nomination, it will be a net benefit. At that point, the Left is going to vote for Biden to stop Trump.

I have to imagine that to beat Trump is far easier than when Hillary tried it. If her record on this did not stop her, I would bet it alone would not stop Biden.

Zorba

Lifer
Oct 22, 1999
I'm glad Harris throw in.

I like Warren a lot but I think she'll have many of the same issues as Hillary did. I think she would be a great POTUS, just like Hillary would've, but I think she'd have a very hard time winning.

I'm hoping that a good governor throws in (don't have any in mind), governors are much harder to attack than senators. I also hope all the business people and celeberties stay away.

vi edit

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Oct 28, 1999
Women are just screwed. Especially against Trump. They come across as motherly and compassionate and they are too soft (Warren). Too aggressive and confident and they are a bitch (Harris). There's no middle ground. And some of the worst offenders in that judgement are women themselves. And both of those stereotypes just play into Trumps hand to abuse and belittle.

It's why I say again, if Dems want to win, you don't put a woman at the top of the ticket.

realibrad

Lifer
Oct 18, 2013
Women are just screwed. Especially against Trump. They come across as motherly and compassionate and they are too soft (Warren). Too aggressive and confident and they are a bitch (Harris). There's no middle ground. And some of the worst offenders in that judgement are women themselves. And both of those stereotypes just play into Trumps hand to abuse and belittle.

It's why I say again, if Dems want to win, you don't put a woman at the top of the ticket.

Huh, Warren is seen as soft? I have always seen her as aggressive. Well spoken, not angry, but, I have never seen her appear soft in my eyes. She seems to be pretty firm and willing to challenge. That was also the image I was told she had when she was a teacher by a student of hers that graduated a few years ago from Harvard.

vi edit

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Oct 28, 1999
Huh, Warren is seen as soft? I have always seen her as aggressive. Well spoken, not angry, but, I have never seen her appear soft in my eyes. She seems to be pretty firm and willing to challenge. That was also the image I was told she had when she was a teacher by a student of hers that graduated a few years ago from Harvard.

She's fiery for a couple topics but her scope of issues is so narrow (debt, consumer abuse, corporate responsibility) that she doesn't have an identity outside of that. Once you go outside that she just comes across as well spoken grandma. Compare her to Harris who wields her words with the warmth and precision of a surgeons scalpel.

realibrad

Lifer
Oct 18, 2013
She's fiery for a couple topics but her scope of issues is so narrow (debt, consumer abuse, corporate responsibility) that she doesn't have an identity outside of that. Once you go outside that she just comes across as well spoken grandma. Compare her to Harris who wields her words with the warmth and precision of a surgeons scalpel.

Ah that may be why. I tend to focus on those topics and have seen her only in those contexts.

Ill be honest though, I would not mind that personally. I know many want fire and passion, but, I wish we could get a calm collected person back in. Obama could get people energized, but, he was so calm and zen. I miss it quite a bit.

Zorba

Lifer
Oct 22, 1999
As bad as it is for this country to be this so far behind the rest of the world, I don't think any woman could beat Trump. Now if Mueller's report is damning enough to Trump that he's not running, then it's possible.
Hillary just about did win and she wasn't a good campaigner and had some massive headwinds.

Since then Trump is much less liked, has shown how incompetent he is, and how corrupt he is. I think someone like Harris will be just fine against him. Warren I think might have issues.

soundforbjt

Lifer
Feb 15, 2002
Hillary just about did win and she wasn't a good campaigner and had some massive headwinds.

Since then Trump is much less liked, has shown how incompetent he is, and how corrupt he is. I think someone like Harris will be just fine against him. Warren I think might have issues.
The problem is Trump's base votes religiously, while he may be floundering now with the mainstream voters they don't vote as religiously as his base. That's the biggest problem with the democrats and why he won to begin with. Until Dems get off their asses and actually get out and vote it doesn't matter, they should have and could have taken the Senate last election, but failed.

blankslate

Diamond Member
Jun 16, 2008
https://www.nytimes.com/2019/01/17/opinion/kamala-harris-criminal-justice.html

Kamala Harris Was Not a ‘Progressive Prosecutor’

Time after time, when progressives urged her to embrace criminal justice reforms as a district attorney and then the state’s attorney general, Ms. Harris opposed them or stayed silent. Most troubling, Ms. Harris fought tooth and nail to uphold wrongful convictions that had been secured through official misconduct that included evidence tampering, false testimony and the suppression of crucial information by prosecutors.
Consider her record as San Francisco’s district attorney from 2004 to 2011. Ms. Harris was criticized in 2010 for withholding information about a police laboratory technician who had been accused of “intentionally sabotaging” her work and stealing drugs from the lab. After a memo surfaced showing that Ms. Harris’s deputies knew about the technician’s wrongdoing and recent conviction, but failed to alert defense lawyers, a judge condemned Ms. Harris’s indifference to the systemic violation of the defendants’ constitutional rights.

yeah it's an opinion piece but the author provides links to back up her assertions... which coupled will Sen. Harris's fairly well know refusal to prosecute a bank in which Mnuchin was rather highly ranked for its abuses of people with mortgages then taking a donation from Mnuchin. She was the only democratic party member he donated to.

https://theintercept.com/2017/01/05...why-she-didnt-prosecute-steven-mnuchins-bank/

https://www.counterpunch.org/2017/0...ter-failing-to-prosecute-trump-nominees-bank/

One can argue every candidate has flaws these are imo among the most serious ones that any democratic candidate who has announced for the upcoming primary has.

vi edit

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Oct 28, 1999
Wow, just saw a poll of African American voters and their favorability. 68% were favorable of Biden. Next highest was Sanders at 57%, Harris was 3rd at 40%. Ouch. Beto was actually really low in the mid 20%.

Nov 8, 2012
Wow, just saw a poll of African American voters and their favorability. 68% were favorable of Biden. Next highest was Sanders at 57%, Harris was 3rd at 40%. Ouch. Beto was actually really low in the mid 20%.

To be fair, unless you paid attention to the mid-term elections the majority of the nation has no clue who Beto is.... or even Harris really?

The other 2 (that were more favorable) were on the center stage of media for a very long time. I honestly think it's more of a "who have you heard of before?" instead of a "who is favorable?"