Democratic Primary Poll (Formerly Warren or Gabbard)

Page 8 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Warren or Gabbard

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

blankslate

Diamond Member
Jun 16, 2008
So what do you think Trump would call Kamala Harris....

https://postimg.cc/tZ2SDNXv
10qkpas.jpg

Lying Kamala

Fake Kamala

I like Kamala Kameleon myself.

Dumb though he may be his nicknames for various opponents could be humorous at times.

*e2a*
Trump-with-Trump.jpg

Last edited:

dawp

Lifer
Jul 2, 2005
I think what music she listen to 30 years ago in college is immaterial, hell, i can't remember what was released 5 years ago let lone 30.

soundforbjt

Lifer
Feb 15, 2002
Biden seems to be a top pick by democrats on polls so far, maybe that's because he's so well known vs the other candidates. He could stop Trump in the rust belt and if he picks the right VP he could set them up to take over after one term.

blankslate

Diamond Member
Jun 16, 2008
I think what music she listen to 30 years ago in college is immaterial, hell, i can't remember what was released 5 years ago let lone 30.

It's about the fact that she had to lie to fit in...

If she was being genuine and actually fit in with the demographic that seems to typically listen to the show she'd probably be mentioning NWA, Dr. Dre, maybe early LL Cool J

Instead she acted like a poseur... or as one person calls her Kamala Kameleon (misspelling mine)

but hey we've been accepting poseur politicians for quite a while I guess so why worry?

*edited 2 add*

Some of us into music particularly a specific genre around college years do remember quite well what music we were into that was released during that time. and you didn't address the tweet that referenced her particularly conservative AG record... a reason some African Americans whose youtube videos I've watched do not support her.

Last edited:

dank69

Lifer
Oct 6, 2009
Biden seems to be a top pick by democrats on polls so far, maybe that's because he's so well known vs the other candidates. He could stop Trump in the rust belt and if he picks the right VP he could set them up to take over after one term.
Unfortunately what (or who) Democrats like doesn't make a damn bit of difference.

soundforbjt

Lifer
Feb 15, 2002
Unfortunately what (or who) Democrats like doesn't make a damn bit of difference.
And that's the problem. By letting republicans "pick" the dem candidate, and by that I mean the Dems have to stop looking for the perfect candidate that has no skeletons and look for someone with generally good visions that can take on Trump and beat him. No candidate will be without any flaws, they don't exist.

And the MS media is guilty of making the problem worse. Instead of backing the candidates like Fox does, they report that it may be a problem and instill the doubt from the start. They do it to look fair but all it does is effectively instill doubt in the person running. Politics is a dirty game, always has been. If you want to win, then play the game as it has been played since the start.

Trump is miles worse than anyone running and the right doesn't have any grounds to hold any Dem candidate to any standards they don't hold Trump to. The guy lies everyday but do you see Fox reporting on it? Nope, they make excuses, saying it was taken out of context or that he didn't mean what he actually said, nothing that will instill doubt in the base voters. We need a candidate that can take a punch and punch back harder, not someone who will apologize for stupid crap about what they listened to in college when they were high. Maybe the weed was that good. ;)
To do otherwise gives Trump another term.

vi edit

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Oct 28, 1999
Eric Swalwell looks like he's getting to hop in the ring. Him with Klobuchar as VP and that's about as solid of a ticket as you'll get across the midwest and rust belt that leaned hard into Trump.

Aug 11, 2008
Somewhat prejudiced, being from MN, but I like Klobuchar, or at least her policies, being at least a semi-moderate. Unfortunately, I am not sure any of the Democratic candidates so far have what it takes to beat Trump. And as unfair as it may be, I think any woman will have a hard time getting elected. Biden would be the obvious choice if he were ten years younger.

vi edit

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Oct 28, 1999
Somewhat prejudiced, being from MN, but I like Klobuchar, or at least her policies, being at least a semi-moderate. Unfortunately, I am not sure any of the Democratic candidates so far have what it takes to beat Trump. And as unfair as it may be, I think any woman will have a hard time getting elected. Biden would be the obvious choice if he were ten years younger.

So riddle me this, what does a democratic candidate need to beat Trump?

I think anyone that wants to beat Trump simply ignores him. Or at least his name. Any stat, reference, or slam is against "the current administration". You burn down the entire fucking administration. You don't hitch it to one man. You blow up the entire thing and don't give him the attention of mentioning his name. You don't go to toe to toe with Trump. You engage in war with everything that has enabled him and destroyed every ounce of normalcy over the last couple years.

Fenixgoon

Lifer
Jun 30, 2003
So riddle me this, what does a democratic candidate need to beat Trump?

I think anyone that wants to beat Trump simply ignores him. Or at least his name. Any stat, reference, or slam is against "the current administration". You burn down the entire fucking administration. You don't hitch it to one man. You blow up the entire thing and don't give him the attention of mentioning his name. You don't go to toe to toe with Trump. You engage in war with everything that has enabled him and destroyed every ounce of normalcy over the last couple years.

I think you're right. There's no way to win an argument with someone who doesn't make any sense, so you can't actually engage trump directly. But it's pretty easy to show what a shitshow his entirr administration has been.

blankslate

Diamond Member
Jun 16, 2008
http://jamaica-gleaner.com/article/...erus-presidential-hopeful-kamala-harris-faces

United States (US) presidential hopeful Kamala Harris faced scathing criticisms from her father for attributing her support for the legalisation of marijuana to her Jamaican heritage.

“Half my family is from Jamaica, are you kidding me?” Kamala Harris responded when asked if she smoked marijuana during an interview on the Breakfast Club in New York last week.

The 2020 Democratic presidential hopeful acknowledged, too, that she has smoked marijuana and inhaled a subtle jab at former US President Bill Clinton who said he smoked the drug but did not inhale.

She suggested that her Jamaican father’s side of the family would be disappointed in her if she did not support the legalisation of marijuana.

But according to the news website Jamaica Global Online, Donald Harris has “categorically” disassociated himself and his family from “this travesty” and slammed his daughter for stereo-typing her heritage for political gain.

Sadly the Democratic Elders are pushing Kamala Harris as Hillary 2.0 and it is disappointing...

Once upon a time the Democratic Party would have been willing to back a transformative candidate, today neither party will. Trump got by on a fluke partly because almost no pundit believed he could ever win.

Kamala Harris is a cop
kamala Harris is a chameleion
Kamala Harris is not on your side

woolfe9998

Lifer
Apr 8, 2013
Saw Amy Klobuchar's town hall in New Hampshire tonight. I already thought she had a lot going for her on paper, being from the mid west and having done so well last November. She's now topping my list, though I'll wait for the primary debates to decide for sure.

I liked when the college kid asked her if she supported free college for all and she said "no" then Don Lemon said that was an unpopular to say on a college campus, to which she replied "I know but I have to tell the truth." Ideally, she should have told the kid, "I hate being the bearer of bad news, but you aren't going to get it no matter who you elect. You can vote for whoever says they support it, but I'm the one telling you the truth." We need more pols who will level with voters.

She also managed to turn a question stemming from her reputation of being hard to work with into a net positive by saying she is tough on employees because she has high expectations, and also of herself and the country. Brilliant.

Her Medicare/Medicaid "option" I think is a fine interim step toward single payer. It's politically popular and therefore quite feasible for the near term.

Klobuchar is a pragmatist more than she is a moderate. Pragmatists have the same goals as the ideologues. They just recognize that reality may prevent achieving the ultimate goals as soon as people may want.

woolfe9998

Lifer
Apr 8, 2013
http://jamaica-gleaner.com/article/...erus-presidential-hopeful-kamala-harris-faces

Sadly the Democratic Elders are pushing Kamala Harris as Hillary 2.0 and it is disappointing...

Once upon a time the Democratic Party would have been willing to back a transformative candidate, today neither party will. Trump got by on a fluke partly because almost no pundit believed he could ever win.

Kamala Harris is a cop
kamala Harris is a chameleion
Kamala Harris is not on your side

I watched your video. I do not agree with the argument he is making. He starts out saying you can have your "black card" revoked by not eating fried chicken in the right way. Sounds pretty racist to me, but then again, he was probably sort of kidding. Which is what Harris was likely doing when she made the comment about supporting pot legalization because she's half Jamaican.

I think what's going on here is that she's estranged from her father for some reason we are not aware. If their relationship is a normal healthy one he wouldn't have voiced the criticism publicly. He would have told her in private instead. This is also likely the explanation for why she doesn't talk about that side of her family often.

vi edit

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Oct 28, 1999
Bernie just needs to find some younger candidate he ideologically aligns with, groom them and fully endorse and support them. At this point it's an ego campaign and he just comes across as even older and more grumpy grandpa.

Meh.

Blackjack200

Lifer
May 28, 2007
Bernie just needs to find some younger candidate he ideologically aligns with, groom them and fully endorse and support them. At this point it's an ego campaign and he just comes across as even older and more grumpy grandpa.

Meh.

Yeah, like, why do we need a candidate that's running on a platform of actually popular ideas instead of what industry sponsors want?

blankslate

Diamond Member
Jun 16, 2008
I watched your video. I do not agree with the argument he is making. He starts out saying you can have your "black card" revoked by not eating fried chicken in the right way. Sounds pretty racist to me, but then again, he was probably sort of kidding. Which is what Harris was likely doing when she made the comment about supporting pot legalization because she's half Jamaican.

I think what's going on here is that she's estranged from her father for some reason we are not aware. If their relationship is a normal healthy one he wouldn't have voiced the criticism publicly. He would have told her in private instead. This is also likely the explanation for why she doesn't talk about that side of her family often.

Just another thing to consider besides her fairly conservative time as AG...

where she

Didn't seem too interest in investigating shootings involving a LEO and a shot civilian.
https://www.latimes.com/local/politics/la-me-pol-ca-harris-police-shootings-20160118-story.html
Amid continuing tensions over the fatal police shootings of black men across the nation, some civil rights activists and members of California's Legislative Black Caucus say state Atty. Gen. Kamala Harris must do more to increase accountability and ensure impartial investigations.

Of primary concern is Harris' opposition to legislation that would require her office to independently investigate fatal police shootings. Harris also has stopped short of endorsing statewide regulations on the use of police body cameras, saying that she believes all officers should wear them but that local agencies are best equipped to enact policies.

"Her absence is noticeable," said Sen. Holly Mitchell (D-Los Angeles), a member of the black caucus. "People are looking to her for guidance and direction."

Seemed willing to ignore a questionable lab technician (whose actions would have had a detrimental effect on some prosecutions).
https://www.sfgate.com/bayarea/article/Judge-rips-Harris-office-for-hiding-problems-3263797.php

Wanted to keep a man in jail who was exonerated upon new evidence seemingly over a technicality.
http://articles.latimes.com/2012/aug/21/local/la-me-innocent-20120821
Two judges concluded that jurors who convicted Larsen would never have found him guilty had they heard from additional witnesses who saw a different man with the knife. Larsen's attorney, who has since been disbarred, failed to adequately investigate the case and identify the witnesses before the trial, the judges found.

But two years after he was supposed to be released, Larsen remains behind bars while the California attorney general appeals the decision. The state's main argument: He did not file his legal paperwork seeking release on time.

California Atty. Gen.Kamala D. Harris, whose office maintains that evidence still points to Larsen's guilt, accuses him and his attorneys of filing a petition seeking his release more than six years after he was legally required to do so.

woolfe9998

Lifer
Apr 8, 2013
Yeah, like, why do we need a candidate that's running on a platform of actually popular ideas instead of what industry sponsors want?

I think he recognizes that. He just wants someone younger to do it. Sanders will be 79 when he runs in 2020. In theory an 8 year term puts him at 87 when he's done.

vi edit

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Oct 28, 1999
I think he recognizes that. He just wants someone younger to do it. Sanders will be 79 when he runs in 2020. In theory an 8 year term puts him at 87 when he's done.

Correct. Platforms should be carrier agnostic. I just want a younger carrier to present that platform.

woolfe9998

Lifer
Apr 8, 2013
Correct. Platforms should be carrier agnostic. I just want a younger carrier to present that platform.

Yes, so do I. It's why I had serious reservations about Sanders, Trump and Clinton in 2016, and Warren today. Even apart from the concern about dying while in office, with age usually comes a degree of cognitive deterioration. We can see it with Trump. We need someone younger.

vi edit

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Oct 28, 1999
Yes, so do I. It's why I had serious reservations about Sanders, Trump and Clinton in 2016, and Warren today. Even apart from the concern about dying while in office, with age usually comes a degree of cognitive deterioration. We can see it with Trump. We need someone younger.

I also struggle to accept that someone 80 years old *really* can identify with the challenges that 20 and 30 year olds today face.

It's part of the reason I'm high on Swalwell. In an interview the other day he got asked what he had that other candidates didn't. He said 2 kids under 3 years old and he's still paying student loans. That was as honest and on point an answer I've heard.

Blackjack200

Lifer
May 28, 2007

Great, show me the candidate with Sanders's platform that's younger than him and running and I'll vote for them.

The "carrier" is very important. If someone that's been bankrolled by the insurance industry for their entire career suddenly supports "Medicare for All", they should meet a great deal of scrutiny.

I'm confident that if Sanders were dealing with something like that, he would step down and the VP would finish his term.

woolfe9998

Lifer
Apr 8, 2013
Great, show me the candidate with Sanders's platform that's younger than him and running and I'll vote for them.

There will be a boatload of progressive candidates next year. Not sure if any of the others have his exact same platform but YMMV.

I'm confident that if Sanders were dealing with something like that, he would step down and the VP would finish his term.

I'm not. Which has nothing to do with Sanders in particular. It has to do with the fact that people who are getting old and starting to go soft upstairs are almost never willing to admit it, even to themselves.

Blackjack200

Lifer
May 28, 2007
There will be a boatload of progressive candidates next year. Not sure if any of the others have his exact same platform but YMMV.

I didn't say exact. You did. Show me a progressive candidate that substantially shares Sanders's platform and bona fides. Warren is the only one I'm aware of that's even close.

I'm not. Which has nothing to do with Sanders in particular. It has to do with the fact that people who are getting old and starting to go soft upstairs are almost never willing to admit it, even to themselves.

Sanders in a state of mental deterioration would be better than the rest of the field anyway.