Dark Souls - the laziest console-to-PC port? (Update: Resolution Rendering Update)

Page 12 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

smackababy

Lifer
Oct 30, 2008
and you found out all those things by yourself or you played it while watching videos/guides?

a friend told me that i should play it with a guide next to me so i dont miss bonfire spots or good/important loot

I found the majority of the stuff myself. I used a guide to find good item farming spots / secrets, but I just went slow and explored. I had a lot of experience in Demon's Souls though, so I knew to look out for everything.

Using a guide would help, but I find that kills a lot of the excitement from new discoveries in my opinions. I did use the wiki to meta weapons and armor though.

McWatt

Feb 25, 2010
I strongly suggest not using a guide for things like area maps. If you need one to find a specific item, fine, but you can always go back. Don't worry about finding everything the first time. One of the most rewarding parts of the experience is exploration.

To get to the fire behind the dragon on the bridge, drop your equip weight to below 25% of your max equip weight. Come up the stairs from the berg bonfire and sprint straight across the bridge in the narrow direction and hide behind the wall facing the gate. Pop out and hide again, angering the dragon. Repeat until the dragon lands. When he does this, sprint past him into the gatehouse and you can activate a very useful fire next to the armored boar you fought.

smackababy

Lifer
Oct 30, 2008
I strongly suggest not using a guide for things like area maps. If you need one to find a specific item, fine, but you can always go back. Don't worry about finding everything the first time. One of the most rewarding parts of the experience is exploration.

To get to the fire behind the dragon on the bridge, drop your equip weight to below 25% of your max equip weight. Come up the stairs from the berg bonfire and sprint straight across the bridge in the narrow direction and hide behind the wall facing the gate. Pop out and hide again, angering the dragon. Repeat until the dragon lands. When he does this, sprint past him into the gatehouse and you can activate a very useful fire next to the armored boar you fought.

I didn't know this bonfire was even there until after I fought and killed the dragon.

ImpulsE69

Lifer
Jan 8, 2010
I was in that first bonfire area in the Undead Burg forever and never even realized there was a ladder right there that takes you right under the dragon lol (until much later when I went the long way around and ended up back there.

Also..the dragon must sleep on occasion because I was able to walk right up to it (all the way fighting undead) without it attacking. That being said..I'm confused how you can get to the tail?

As for knights..i just can't kill them. I've killed 3 bosses, but can't seem to kill a knight. I guess because the bosses so far have had tricks to killing them. My char must be too slow to get around behind the knights.

Dankk

Diamond Member
Jul 7, 2008
I was in that first bonfire area in the Undead Burg forever and never even realized there was a ladder right there that takes you right under the dragon lol (until much later when I went the long way around and ended up back there.

You didn't realize it was there because it actually wasn't there yet. In order to use that ladder, you're required to go all the way around and kick it down once you've looped back.

The game is deliberately designed so bonfiers are connected to several different areas, but you don't immediately have access to them all at once.

Ferzerp

Diamond Member
Oct 12, 1999

Also..the dragon must sleep on occasion because I was able to walk right up to it (all the way fighting undead) without it attacking. That being said..I'm confused how you can get to the tail?

As for knights..i just can't kill them. I've killed 3 bosses, but can't seem to kill a knight. I guess because the bosses so far have had tricks to killing them. My char must be too slow to get around behind the knights.

You shoot it from down below.

PowerYoga

Diamond Member
Nov 6, 2001

Buy a bow. Bring 50 arrows. Shoot at it from down below, every time you hit the tail it'll fly around for a few seconds. Repeat until tail falls off and you get a nice sword.

Attic

Diamond Member
Jan 9, 2010

Arbitrary game mechanic descriptions ftl. I couldn't beat the knights until I got my movespeed improved. I didn't realize there was a movement penality for having UNDER your equip load (makes sense?). You move quicksest when equip load is <25%, slower when <50% and very slow when >50%. I had an equipe just over half and didn't realize this penalized my speed to a great extent (because no other game works like this from what i've seen). As soon as I got my equip load <50% I had a fighting chance against the knights (still tough but mangagable). With movement penality knights are almost insurmountable id say.

Daverino

Platinum Member
Mar 15, 2007
Arbitrary game mechanic descriptions ftl. I couldn't beat the knights until I got my movespeed improved. I didn't realize there was a movement penality for having UNDER your equip load (makes sense?). You move quicksest when equip load is <25%, slower when <50% and very slow when >50%. I had an equipe just over half and didn't realize this penalized my speed to a great extent (because no other game works like this from what i've seen). As soon as I got my equip load <50% I had a fighting chance against the knights (still tough but mangagable). With movement penality knights are almost insurmountable id say.

Careful, there's a tradeoff. Heavier equipment gives you greater poise which allows you to take a hit and not get staggered or interrupted. You can be quick and nimble or sturdy and solid. Often, though, not both.

arosusi

Mar 27, 2012
And then there's the poise ring which can be quite useful for nimble characters in the beginning. Later on it gets worthless due to
two rings which allow faster movement with heavy armour.

smackababy

Lifer
Oct 30, 2008
And then there's the poise ring which can be quite useful for nimble characters in the beginning. Later on it gets worthless due to

I found the one that let you run in water and never took that off. The other was just situational for me.

PhatoseAlpha

Platinum Member
Apr 10, 2005

Which two?
Havel's & Divine Favor and Protection? If you mean the Dark Wood Grain Ring, they fixed it - it doesn't give 25% load move speed at 50% any more.

Ferzerp

Diamond Member
Oct 12, 1999
Was the gold-hemmed black set nerfed or anything? If not, I need to do a suicide run to pick it up asap. I prefer the light weight of it. That's what I beat the game in on 360.

Daverino

Platinum Member
Mar 15, 2007
Was the gold-hemmed black set nerfed or anything? If not, I need to do a suicide run to pick it up asap. I prefer the light weight of it. That's what I beat the game in on 360.

That got nerfed a while ago. Patch 1.05 back in November of last year. It's still the premium anti-fire armor, IIRC. I remember the Crimson set being the best of the light armors all-around. But I still wore Velka's Black Set because I thought it looked cool.

smackababy

Lifer
Oct 30, 2008

Which set was that? I think I ended up getting Favor set and using that.

Dumac

Diamond Member
Dec 31, 2005

It isn't arbitrary at all. If you can carry, for example, 100 lbs on you, you aren't going to go from nimble-as-ever to snail-mode as soon ass you go fro the 99th to 100th pound (I'm looking at TES). You would become more encumbered the more you pick up.

However they are tradeoffs. Although heavy-armor users may not be able to move as quickly, their armor can give them enough poise that they can take hits without staggering, which is deadly.

arosusi

Mar 27, 2012
Which two?
Havel's & Divine Favor and Protection? If you mean the Dark Wood Grain Ring, they fixed it - it doesn't give 25% load move speed at 50% any more.

Havel's and Dark Wood Grain Ring. When worn together, they still (at least on the PS3 version) allow heavy tanks to be agile due to the change in rolling mechanism. With them, my PS3 tank (SL >100) can wear nearly any armour, the Greatshield of Artorias and a Black Knight Greataxe and still roll and evade very well.

ArchAngel777

Diamond Member
Dec 24, 2000
is it advisable to get a controller for this or are the keyboard/mouse controls good enough?

Most people have answered that you should get a controller. However, I'd like to know if anyone has used mouse and keyboard and has continued to play that way... I really dislike console controllers for anything except side scrollers and jRPGs.

EDUSAN

Golden Member
Apr 4, 2012
i didnt continue playing.... i did try it...

the keyboard is ok....the problem is the mouse. Moves weird... i could try it a little bit more if you want but what i noticed is

1) doing a fast movement with the mouse is useless. The camera moves as fast as moving the analog stick of a gamepad. So you cant turn 180° inmediately, even if you move the mouse fast. So it looks like if its lagging cause its not responding to your movemements.

2) when you move around the camera is always trying to adjust itself, i dont know why its annoying. it moves a little, but it moves all the time like trying to find a good spot. when you move the analog that doesnt happen somehow

McWatt

Feb 25, 2010
i didnt continue playing.... i did try it...

the keyboard is ok....the problem is the mouse. Moves weird... i could try it a little bit more if you want but what i noticed is

1) doing a fast movement with the mouse is useless. The camera moves as fast as moving the analog stick of a gamepad. So you cant turn 180° inmediately, even if you move the mouse fast. So it looks like if its lagging cause its not responding to your movemements.

2) when you move around the camera is always trying to adjust itself, i dont know why its annoying. it moves a little, but it moves all the time like trying to find a good spot. when you move the analog that doesnt happen somehow

1) That's adjustable in the menu.

2) You can turn that off in the menu.

Dumac

Diamond Member
Dec 31, 2005
Most people have answered that you should get a controller. However, I'd like to know if anyone has used mouse and keyboard and has continued to play that way... I really dislike console controllers for anything except side scrollers and jRPGs.

But this is a JRPG :hmm: