Dark Souls - the laziest console-to-PC port? (Update: Resolution Rendering Update)

Page 11 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

ImpulsE69

Lifer
Jan 8, 2010
That's OK. I think I might have screwed myself because one of the first things I did was accidentally kill the merchant. I didn't think much of it at the time, except from what I've read..I think he's the only merchant :(

Ferzerp

Diamond Member
Oct 12, 1999
Ah, you met Havel.

I usually take him out before I kill the first real boss. He's intimidating the first time you meet him. But once you know his weaknesses, you can take him out with a basic dagger. It's slow, but worth it since he drops his ring, which is incredibly valuable at that point.

Incidentally, if you didn't have the master key, you wouldn't have been able to get in there to begin with.

Probably not Havel. Probably the first slightly difficult knight that is down the stairs to the right after you kill the two sword skeletons and the spear skeleton (just after you finish up the bit with the 3 skeletons, one that throws fire, and then go up the tower on the left and kill the crossbow skeleton), just before the stairs up to the left where the skeleton rolls a barrel at you the first time you see it (which then has the entrance to the tower with that you climb to get out on to the wall for the tartarus demon fight).

Can you tell I beat this on 360? You end up memorizing the whole thing so that you don't die.

I can't remember the item down there by that harder demon knight guy, but it's a decent item.

EDUSAN

Golden Member
Apr 4, 2012
Probably not Havel. Probably the first slightly difficult knight that is down the stairs to the right after you kill the two sword skeletons and the spear skeleton (just after you finish up the bit with the 3 skeletons, one that throws fire, and then go up the tower on the left and kill the crossbow skeleton), just before the stairs up to the left where the skeleton rolls a barrel at you the first time you see it (which then has the entrance to the tower with that you climb to get out on to the wall for the tartarus demon fight).

Can you tell I beat this on 360? You end up memorizing the whole thing so that you don't die.

I can't remember the item down there by that harder demon knight guy, but it's a decent item.

yeah...that one... i thought it was weird that he would have a name of its own, it was just an enemy with an armor.
The only way to recharge my soul arrows is to go to a fireplace? i hate them, they respawn all the enemies lol

smackababy

Lifer
Oct 30, 2008
there are a lot of stats to level up and i didnt find any information on them like what is each stat do, or what is the main stat of my class so i had to look that up in google :S

i have a sorcerer, im giving my stats to intelligence, and a bit to vitality from time to time.... how important is to level attunement?

attunement is important because you need certain levels for higher level spells. Also, vitality is only so important. It also is not worth anything past 40 levels of it.

yeah...that one... i thought it was weird that he would have a name of its own, it was just an enemy with an armor.
The only way to recharge my soul arrows is to go to a fireplace? i hate them, they respawn all the enemies lol
Yes this is the only way to recharge your spells. However, different spells have different charges. That knight is very easy if you kite him out to near the fireplace. (After clearing the area).

Just a hint, I'd put some stats into a melee ability as well. Being a pure wizard isn't the easier on your first playthrough. Dex is a good stat because bows make it easy to pull single enemies and cheese some fights.

Last edited:

Sho'Nuff

Diamond Member
Jul 12, 2007

Its a ring. Think its resistance to physical damage or enemy life absorption. Makes no difference to me, as I always wear the stamina/equip burden enhancing rings.

Game is much more fun on my PC than it was on the PS3. No slow downs and much higher resolution with the fix.

Ferzerp

Diamond Member
Oct 12, 1999
Yes this is the only way to recharge your spells. However, different spells have different charges. That knight is very easy if you kite him out to near the fireplace. (After clearing the area).

You can also equip the same spell multiple times to get extra charges. You just have to have purchased that spell however many times you want to equip it. And, you have to raise your attunement to get more spell slots.

As someone else mentioned, it's like old D&D. You memorize a certain number of particular spells, and if you run out, you're out of magic until you rest.

PowerYoga

Diamond Member
Nov 6, 2001

Ah, you've met a black knight. Those guys are fun when you first start...

I think the ring is a phys resistance ring, not real useful but it fills an empty slot early on. You can actually drop down from a higher ledge, pick up the ring, and run pass the knight. He'll chase you forever, but you can die near a bonfire or something and then pick up your souls easy.

He's hard to kill without good gear, but if you're skillful you can backstab him to death. you can sidestep around him fast enough if you have light gear (not possible for knights unless you strip down) and just dodge the swings. Don't go head to head with him without good gear.

If you want, get the drake sword and then try him.

Ferzerp

Diamond Member
Oct 12, 1999
I was more responding for the other guy since I had an idea of which monster he meant.

I haven't played that much, but after all the time I spent on the 360 version, I could likely kill the black knights with starter gear with little issue. I'd never fight him in that narrow area he's spawned in though.

PhatoseAlpha

Platinum Member
Apr 10, 2005
Oh, oops. Not Havel, forgot about the Black Knight in that area guarding the blue tearstone ring. Sorry about that - I've fought that one at low level so many times he doesn't really register as a challenge anymore. Just a matter of leading him up to the open area and playing the block/dodge, circle, backstab game.

smackababy

Lifer
Oct 30, 2008
If you can dodge, which if you can't have a fun time being dead most of the time, he is very easy. I always start as the club wielding all 11 stat guy since I can meta more with my stats. No armor means quick dodges and I can parry quite good. However, if your parry doesn't know him down, watch out.

ImpulsE69

Lifer
Jan 8, 2010
Oh, oops. Not Havel, forgot about the Black Knight in that area guarding the blue tearstone ring. Sorry about that - I've fought that one at low level so many times he doesn't really register as a challenge anymore. Just a matter of leading him up to the open area and playing the block/dodge, circle, backstab game.

Whats crazy is the 2nd boss is easier than that guy :/ I ended up
just letting him chase me and running back around and grabbing the ring
. I figure I'll come back and kill him later if need be. Now...that golem at the bottom of the tower..ouch...

smackababy

Lifer
Oct 30, 2008
Whats crazy is the 2nd boss is easier than that guy :/ I ended up
just letting him chase me and running back around and grabbing the ring
. I figure I'll come back and kill him later if need be. Now...that golem at the bottom of the tower..ouch...

That guy has one of the best rings in the game. Besides that, he is super easy if you lure him out. He is fast, but his attacks leave him wide open for backstabs.

PowerYoga

Diamond Member
Nov 6, 2001
Why do you need to lure him out? The stairs actually can get you some overhead stabs if you time it right, making the fight that much faster. He's also not easy for beginners since his attacks are OHKO for anybody that's not above 50 vit and you can encounter him very early.

KaOTiK

Lifer
Feb 5, 2001
I've forgotten what it is like to encounter your first knight, played on the PS3 so knew how to fight them and spending so much time in Anor Londo where they are common mobs lol

McWatt

Feb 25, 2010
Why do you need to lure him out? The stairs actually can get you some overhead stabs if you time it right, making the fight that much faster. He's also not easy for beginners since his attacks are OHKO for anybody that's not above 50 vit and you can encounter him very early.

You can also kick him off the stairs. Repeat a few times and you're done.

Dumac

Diamond Member
Dec 31, 2005
i was in underburg (1st section) and there were some stairs going down and a guy with an armor. So i targeted and shot him with my soul arrow.... he ended being super powerful and killed me without me being able to do much. Those are the things i dont quite like... dont place a corridor with a impossible enemy next to the low level section im doing without a warning or a door with a key that i wont be able to get.

I wouldnt mind that in any other game in which i can save before TRYING that new guy... but in this game is particularly annoying.

I wouldn't describe the black knight as 'super powerful'. I killed him on the first try with two ripostes before killing Taurus demon. Granted, I played Dark Souls on the PS3 before, so it isn't really the 'first' try.

The black knight on the tower of the tower after the bridge is a bit harder. He killed me once before I got him :p

The thing about this game is that deaths are almost always your fault. You should have guessed something was up when you saw an enemy significant more foreboding than the enemies encountered previously standing down a long hallway guarding an item. Plus, he doesn't aggro you easily, but stands where watching you, as if taunting you to take him on.

I could understand wanting him to be locked away if it was impossible to beat him, but that is far from the truth. Difficult, perhaps, but that is why the guy is on the side and not standing in your path.

Plus bonfires are never far behind. This is what makes Dark Souls actually much easier than Demons Souls. The bonfire was only 5 minutes away, right?

And is it not as if you are wasting time, assuming you get back to your bloodstain, since you now have 2x the souls that you would have had!

As you play the game more, you actually become a much better player. I remember my very first runthrough ever on the PS3, that first black knight took like 4 or 5 tries.

smackababy

Lifer
Oct 30, 2008
Wait....golem....a big sucker, heavy armor, carries a giant club?

That is Havel. You find his armor and weapon later in the game. Sadly, they are basically worthless. Needing 50 Str to use a weapon with unscaled damage isn't ideal.

The thing I hated the most about the black knights were the fact that I did not get the black knight sword once in two playthroughs. I did spend like 6 hours farming for a demon spear though.

Dumac

Diamond Member
Dec 31, 2005
That is Havel. You find his armor and weapon later in the game. Sadly, they are basically worthless. Needing 50 Str to use a weapon with unscaled damage isn't ideal.

The thing I hated the most about the black knights were the fact that I did not get the black knight sword once in two playthroughs. I did spend like 6 hours farming for a demon spear though.

Havel's armor is far from worthless.

His weapon though...

EDUSAN

Golden Member
Apr 4, 2012
yes, you are right Dumac, there was a fireplace close to the armor guy....

what happened yesterday was.... i kept playing...i avoided that armor warrior... got to the minotaur boss... im not sure what was the way of killing him but i saved soul arrows for him and kept shotting at it from the top of the tower and when it decided to jump i went down the stairs a bit until the minotaur jumped off the tower, climbed up again and shot it a bit more... it was pretty lame hahaha

anyway...finished that minotaur thing... there is that bridge with the dragon...i went down, went through the bottom of the bridge, keep playing, killed some kind of armored super pig and eventually i died... without finding any fireplace around... so now i have to do everything from the 1st underborg fireplace :S

there MUST be a fireplace after the bossfight...but it seems i turned the wrong direction :S

smackababy

Lifer
Oct 30, 2008
yes, you are right Dumac, there was a fireplace close to the armor guy....

what happened yesterday was.... i kept playing...i avoided that armor warrior... got to the minotaur boss... im not sure what was the way of killing him but i saved soul arrows for him and kept shotting at it from the top of the tower and when it decided to jump i went down the stairs a bit until the minotaur jumped off the tower, climbed up again and shot it a bit more... it was pretty lame hahaha

anyway...finished that minotaur thing... there is that bridge with the dragon...i went down, went through the bottom of the bridge, keep playing, killed some kind of armored super pig and eventually i died... without finding any fireplace around... so now i have to do everything from the 1st underborg fireplace :S

there MUST be a fireplace after the bossfight...but it seems i turned the wrong direction :S

Under the dragon, where you can see his tail, there is a ladder you knock down to unlock a shortcut from that first fireplace. Technically, there is one behind the dragon if you choose to fight him. Also, the minotaur is real easy if you jump off that tower and do a falling stab on his ass. It only takes like 3 hits that way. You can also lure him through the holes in the wall and he will fall to his death.

smackababy

Lifer
Oct 30, 2008
The minotaur looks up and gives you a chance to jump down and strike him.

Once you are on the bridge facing the dragon, run towards him, dodging his flame, and go down the right. Go all the way down, not out where is tail is hanging. There should be a ladder you have the option to kick. This unlocks a shortcut from the Undead Burg to where you currently are. Also, once you get past the armored pig, there is a bonfire and another shortcut. Inside the church, if you exit to the right, you can follow that long path down and there is a blacksmith / bonfire. From inside the church, if you look left there is an elevator that once you activate once, unlocks a shortcut to the original bonfire after the tutorial.

Wow, I've played this game a lot. =(

EDUSAN

Golden Member
Apr 4, 2012
and you found out all those things by yourself or you played it while watching videos/guides?

a friend told me that i should play it with a guide next to me so i dont miss bonfire spots or good/important loot

Last edited: