Dark Souls - the laziest console-to-PC port? (Update: Resolution Rendering Update)

Page 13 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Red Hawk

Diamond Member
Jan 1, 2011
But this is a JRPG :hmm:

JRPG, ironically enough, has nothing to do with where the game was produced. It's just where the genre originated. Japanese devs can make WRPGs and Western devs can make JRPGs. So no, Dark Souls is not a JRPG.

M0oG0oGaiPan

Diamond Member
Dec 7, 2000
digitalgamedeals.com
Amazon has the 360 controllers on sale right now so I picked one up. Apparently you can also hook a ps3 controller to the pc using some kind of adapter. That might be cheaper for some of you.

PowerYoga

Diamond Member
Nov 6, 2001
Amazon has the 360 controllers on sale right now so I picked one up. Apparently you can also hook a ps3 controller to the pc using some kind of adapter. That might be cheaper for some of you.

you can use a bluetooth dongle for wireless, or just a mini USB cable. You will have to download a 3rd party app that's internet reliant, but I've been able to get it working after a lot of grief.

Definitely do NOT recommend it, just a get a xbox controller and save yourself some grief.

Dumac

Diamond Member
Dec 31, 2005
JRPG, ironically enough, has nothing to do with where the game was produced. It's just where the genre originated. Japanese devs can make WRPGs and Western devs can make JRPGs. So no, Dark Souls is not a JRPG.

I know lol, that was the joke

smackababy

Lifer
Oct 30, 2008
So this game isn't meant to be run on an Intl HD4000. I can play for a bit, but eventually, my frame rate will drop low enough it crashes. Happens like once ever hour or so.

trigun500

Golden Member
Apr 18, 2006
Random Question: Do the saved games get saved to the Steam Cloud? I'd hate to see a character I've been playing for weeks get lost if my HD died....

Dumac

Diamond Member
Dec 31, 2005
Random Question: Do the saved games get saved to the Steam Cloud? I'd hate to see a character I've been playing for weeks get lost if my HD died....

No, I don't think so. I believe saves are local.

smackababy

Lifer
Oct 30, 2008
Picked up a new graphics card and all smooth sailing. The res hack looks great.

Wow, I had to look up how to get to the DLC area. I even finished my playthrough to see if it happened after the last fight. Made a pvp character I am powering through stuff. 2 hours to get to Quelogg? Not bad.

I also killed my first cheater today. Invaded his ass and booted him off a ledge.

Jakeisbest

Feb 1, 2008
How do you exit the game, other than pressing alt+f4?

Also has anyone gotten a PS3 controller to work using x360ce? The controller I have wont work with motionjoy.

ImpulsE69

Lifer
Jan 8, 2010
How do you exit the game, other than pressing alt+f4?

Also has anyone gotten a PS3 controller to work using x360ce? The controller I have wont work with motionjoy.

There is a game exit option by pressing start. The problem is it plays like a console and "resets" the game to the intro screen before you can actually choose to quit.

I'm using a PS2 controller with x360ce and it works fine.

-Slacker-

Golden Member
Feb 24, 2010
OK so here's a stupid question for you:
If the game's internal resolution is 1024x720, a 4:3 aspect ratio , then why are the image proportions not changed when using durante's dsfix and the gpu can render at HD resolutions?

Like here, in the very first post (the first 2~3 comparison pictures):

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=488240

How do those images have the same proportions? Shouldn't the first image, which is 4:3 1024x720 upscaled tp 16:9 1080p ... be all stretchy and wrong?

PhatoseAlpha

Platinum Member
Apr 10, 2005
Because rendering doesn't work like that. The image that is being rendered is the same at any resolution.

Resolution just determines how many slices the image is cut into.

-Slacker-

Golden Member
Feb 24, 2010
I don't get it... how can the images be the same if they have different aspect ratios but are not distorted?

PhatoseAlpha

Platinum Member
Apr 10, 2005
Assuming I understand correctly, Pixels don't actually have to be square. In it's native mode, "pixels" are rectangles. They account for that when they scale the image to display it.

Dumac

Diamond Member
Dec 31, 2005
Yeah, there is a 60fps fix. I can't tell you how it works personally.

I'm avoiding the 60FPS fix since I'm fine with 30fps and the fix is extremely invasive.