Question CPU underperforming in games

Status
Not open for further replies.

XANtheman

Feb 12, 2022
Hello I have recently upgraded my CPU from a R3 1200 to a 3300x. Complete specs are as follows-

CPU- R3 3300X
RAM - 2x8 GB DDR4 2400MHz in dual channel (CMK8GX4M1A2400C16R)
GPU- MSI GTX 1650 D6 AERO ITX OCV1
PSU- CX 450
MOTHERBOARD- MSI B450M PRO VDH MAX (BIOS 7A38vB4 - AGESA 1.0.0.4)

My older CPU was bottlenecking my GPU in games like Cyberpunk , metro exodus, FC Primal, so I upgraded to a R3 3300X. I saw benchmarks on youtube and was able to confirm that R3 1200 should be the bottleneck in my system (see this video-https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L33n3TdSjNk&t=3213s). In the video the GTX 1650 clearly manages above 30 at 1080p ultra most of the time in the train sequence with a R3 3100 whereas my R3 1200 would drop to mid 20's in that sequence. The problem is that even after the upgrade I am dropping to mid 20's. IMO RAM should not be a bottleneck with GPU of this caliber at 1080p ultra settings( NVIDIA hairworks disabled and tessellation off in metro exodus).

I tried the following fixes-
1. Fresh install of windows 10 to windows 21H2
2. Installing the latest chipset drivers and Nvidia Geforce drivers
3. Clearing CMOS
4. Disabling windows game mode and switching to high performance power plan.
5. Disabling all power saving features in BIOS, maxing out cTDP limit
6. Reseating RAM
7. Trying latest BIOS updates
8. using max performance in Nvidia control panel.

At this point I have no further ideas to troubleshoot this issue. Also if it is genuinely the memory then that is really disappointing in terms of compatibility of this platform. If you guys have a solution please do post it.

Reactions: lauraro

moinmoin

Diamond Member
Jun 1, 2017
Your RAM is very slow, probably not optimized either? Aside the lack of threads in newer games, I can imagine that being the actual bottleneck here.

Reactions: DAPUNISHER

XANtheman

Feb 12, 2022
Your RAM is very slow, probably not optimized either? Aside the lack of threads in newer games, I can imagine that being the actual bottleneck here.
But if you check corsair's website it says AMD optimized. Should I ask MSI to release maybe a BIOS update to fix compatibility issue ?

moinmoin

Diamond Member
Jun 1, 2017
But if you check corsair's website it says AMD optimized. Should I ask MSI to release maybe a BIOS update to fix compatibility issue ?
That's not the issue, the RAM works. But you want the RAM to be fast and low latency. 2400 is not fast, and stock timings usually are never low latency. So there should be plenty of room to optimize. See e.g. following guide for what that is about:

XANtheman

Feb 12, 2022
That's not the issue, the RAM works. But you want the RAM to be fast and low latency. 2400 is not fast, and stock timings usually are never low latency. So there should be plenty of room to optimize. See e.g. following guide for what that is about:
But I can't really believe this even if it is true. It should not affect performance when you are GPU bound. I think it is compatibility issue. My CPU is plenty fast and at this point I literally want to slap red team for the garbage that they keep launching every six months.

maddie

Diamond Member
Jul 18, 2010
But I can't really believe this even if it is true. It should not affect performance when you are GPU bound. I think it is compatibility issue. My CPU is plenty fast and at this point I literally want to slap red team for the garbage that they keep launching every six months.
Ask for help.
Get a response and advice on some actions to take.
Reject given advice and repeat own speculations.

Why did you request help?

tamz_msc

Diamond Member
Jan 5, 2017
I've played Metro Exodus, and I don't remember the game dropping frames so significantly in that particular sequence. In fact there was only one instance in the entire game where the frame drops were most definitely due to CPU.

You have other things going on. Are you sure that your GPU is functioning properly?

XANtheman

Feb 12, 2022
Ask for help.
Get a response and advice on some actions to take.
Reject given advice and repeat own speculations.

Why did you request help?
I didn't reject your advice, it is the company which blows my mind. They really should add the cost of high priced RAM kits with there CPUs because at this point there components are garbage. I posted that comment because I wanted to show my frustration for the company.

• Love
Reactions: lauraro

XANtheman

Feb 12, 2022
I've played Metro Exodus, and I don't remember the game dropping frames so significantly in that particular sequence. In fact there was only one instance in the entire game where the frame drops were most definitely due to CPU.

You have other things going on. Are you sure that your GPU is functioning properly?
Yes I am sure my GPU is fine, it runs other games like FC4 pretty well and never gave any sign of a GPU related problem. I have it since March 2021.

tamz_msc

Diamond Member
Jan 5, 2017
I think it would help toward identifying the problem if you share a HWinfo screenshot of the sensor readings when the stutters happen.

Geegeeoh

Oct 16, 2011
Very slow memory.
It impacts gaming performances, not sure how much on this setup but it definitely does.

You also have to be sure its slotted in the right place to enable dual channel.
You can check it in CPU-z.

daveybrat

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Jan 31, 2000
How can you gurantee 3200 C16 will fix my problem maybe a compatibility issue screws me over again. Also if 62$ isn't that much can you throw this amount once in the bin for me?

Maybe if you did the proper homework on how AMD cpu's love fast ram you wouldn't blame AMD for your failures. Yes, you upgraded the cpu, but without pairing it up with faster ram you won't see a noticable impact on FPS.

tamz_msc

Diamond Member
Jan 5, 2017
Maybe if you did the proper homework on how AMD cpu's love fast ram you wouldn't blame AMD for your failures. Yes, you upgraded the cpu, but without pairing it up with faster ram you won't see a noticable impact on FPS.
Fast RAM isn't going to make a noticeable difference when heavily GPU-bound with a GTX 1650.

Zepp

May 18, 2019
IMO RAM should not be a bottleneck with GPU of this caliber at 1080p

I agree. I would recommend posting on the reddit/forums of the specific games you have issues with. Many times there are quirks with the game that until you know of them it's easy to misdiagnose the performance issue. I recall FC Primal has always been notorious for it's optimization problems.

tamz_msc

Diamond Member
Jan 5, 2017
I also see that you're on an old BIOS; have you tried updating it? Ignore, I didn't notice that you had already tried the latest BIOS.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.